Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Does anyone know why my wii mote pointer might be jumping all around? I was playing for a while and it was fine but then it just went all crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Chernabog posted:

Does anyone know why my wii mote pointer might be jumping all around? I was playing for a while and it was fine but then it just went all crazy.

If it's a Motion Plus then those are kinda known to freak out occasionally. Set it down for a few seconds and it should calm down a bit.

As for Bingo Battle, as far as I'm concerned Nintendo multiplayer is only ever made for the purposes of making people hate each other.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Did you turn any lights on? Sometimes properly positioned lights can interfere with the IR sensor. This past Christmas I was having some serious problems using the Wii until I realized that it was the goddamn Christmas tree lights wreaking havoc.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I don't know, I can't think of any lights that would interfere unless it was the blueray or something. I'll try to figure it out later.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Might be stupid and obvious to point out, so apologies, but I know a lot of people who have done it. Are you sitting too close to the tv/sensor bar, maybe?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I saw this beautiful thing on the Art Academy Miiverse and felt like I should share it

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Damo posted:

Might be stupid and obvious to point out, so apologies, but I know a lot of people who have done it. Are you sitting too close to the tv/sensor bar, maybe?

About 9 ft away. I don't know, I started playing and it was fine again, then it freaked out, I shook it and it started working.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I can't really help you, mine always shakes and freaks out but it's definitely just my shaky hands that cause it v:v:v

I did the first Battle mission and got Platinum, once I realized that I didn't actually have to lug every body back to the onions it because much easier.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I was wondering how people were racking up 300+ pikmin kill counts. That seemed really, really high.

Then I got to the final boss. And here I was thinking I was good at these games :shepface:

Feels like the design behind that guy was combining Water Wraith and Goolix into one nightmarish blob of doom.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

:psyduck: This game is so stressful. Im on the tundra level where you have to save Brittany, and the fact that I couldnt save her in one day exactly drove me nuts. Its probably possible but Im no where near as efficient with my time.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
I had trouble there too and it drove me similarly nuts. I think my biggest problems were not immediately realizing I could swap pikmin over the stream, and not fully grasping the "Go Here" function, which is definitely my absolute favourite addition to the series now that I've completed it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Chernabog posted:

About 9 ft away. I don't know, I started playing and it was fine again, then it freaked out, I shook it and it started working.

Was the sun shining through the window? Our wiimote is troublesome to use at certain times of day when the sunlight refracts through our thick glass windows; all the little panes start acting as their own sensor bars and it totally screws with the pointer.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
The last fruit I need to collect is the one in the Tropical Wilds that is in the middle of nowhere on the map. I swear I've been up and down every path looking for an access point, but I can't seem to find any way to get to it.

What am I missing here?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jet Set Jettison posted:

:psyduck: This game is so stressful. Im on the tundra level where you have to save Brittany, and the fact that I couldnt save her in one day exactly drove me nuts. Its probably possible but Im no where near as efficient with my time.

Yeah you can, I just did it and had a lot of time to spare. If you do a second playthrough you are going to accomplish stuff way quicker than your first time since you will know where to go and how to solve the puzzles. The biggest adjustment I had to make was realizing that unlike the other Pikmin games, fences break down incredibly quickly. In the past ones you were expected to spend a good chunk of time knocking them down but in this one you just blow past them. Means you have to be really good about diving up work so everyone stays efficient.

Of course the only penalty to taking long is your wounded pride :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

The last fruit I need to collect is the one in the Tropical Wilds that is in the middle of nowhere on the map. I swear I've been up and down every path looking for an access point, but I can't seem to find any way to get to it.

What am I missing here?

Ha you're the third person (including myself) I've seen ask about this. There's a very easy to miss arrow on your map in the water closest to where that fruit is. There's a cave entrance there that leads to it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I played some more Bingo Battle and this might be one of the most rage inducing game modes I've ever played. There's a good amount of skill involved when it comes to managing your pikmin, reproducing at a fast rate, and planning the most efficient salvage route. Which is good, but that makes it all the more frustrating when you get hosed over by the randomness. Cherry power ups range from annoying as hell to game breaking. The game actively encourages you to screen hop so you can screw over the other player at the most opportune moment. Shock them while they fight a bulborb, teleport them away after they throw half their army at an enemy, plant mines on the fruit they need. Just be tremendous assholes and murder all the adorable little Pikmin.

Despite that it's still really fun and using cherries is so cathartic when it ruins the other players day that we won't stop collecting them. We did agree to yell "ROCKS! :byodood:" a few seconds before using that power up though because it is the most unfair thing I've ever seen in a game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

What am I missing here?

The red bridge close to base, go under it into the water-way with some Flying Pikmin.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.

Regy Rusty posted:

Ha you're the third person (including myself) I've seen ask about this. There's a very easy to miss arrow on your map in the water closest to where that fruit is. There's a cave entrance there that leads to it.

Sire Oblivion posted:

The red bridge close to base, go under it into the water-way with some Flying Pikmin.

Oh you beautiful motherfucks, I can't believe I didn't see that cave entrance.

Alright, so I suppose my next question is do I need to collect all the fruit and memos to get the 100% ending or am I fine with just having all the fruit gathered up?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Just fruit.
100% memos is more of a personal victory than anything.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Am I supposed to be able to (endgame spoilers) get Olimar back to the ship in Formidable Oak in one day?? I thought I was getting really good and efficient at this game, but this whole chase sequence is really kicking my butt and I'm having trouble getting further than the start the darkened cave area.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

mancalamania posted:

Am I supposed to be able to (endgame spoilers) get Olimar back to the ship in Formidable Oak in one day?? I thought I was getting really good and efficient at this game, but this whole chase sequence is really kicking my butt and I'm having trouble getting further than the start the darkened cave area.

I don't think you can. The darkened cave is the last part of the chase sequence, but as you might expect not the end of the game. You still have one more thing to do in Formidable Oak which you won't have time for, so it will at least take two days. That said once you complete the chase you are done with it so if you can get it done in one day, great!

It took me 3 days to do that part. Granted that was mostly because I never reset the game and just rolled with my mistakes instead of trying to do everything with ultra efficiency.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

mancalamania posted:

It's possible to do Formidable Oak in one day, but unlikely unless you know the very precise route and I think it involves a bit of a skip. You can see it here, just fast forward to 2:22:00 http://www.twitch.tv/milessmb/b/444659805

This guy got all fruit in 10 days :psyduck:, pretty sure that's the fastest it can be done.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 13, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mancalamania posted:

To be clear you have to carry Olimar through the whole tree over the course of one day since he'll be brought back to the beginning every time a day ends. However, you can spend multiple days working on clearing a path and all progress aside from Olimar's position will be carried over from day to day.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

katkillad2 posted:

It's possible to do Formidable Oak in one day, but unlikely unless you know the very precise route and I think it involves a bit of a skip. You can see it here, just fast forward to 2:22:00 http://www.twitch.tv/milessmb/b/444659805

This guy got all fruit in 10 days :psyduck:, pretty sure that's the fastest it can be done.

My god, so the Plasma Wraith can't kill the Rock Pikmin outside of the elemental attacks? That's amazing.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
I've never played Pikman 1 or 2, but I'm starved for some Nintendo titles on my U. Many of the reviews I've read say that the chuck and wiimote should be used, but I only have a the U gamepad. Would I be wasting money buy picking this up, or is the game perfectly playable with the gamepad?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

WaffleStomp posted:

I've never played Pikman 1 or 2, but I'm starved for some Nintendo titles on my U. Many of the reviews I've read say that the chuck and wiimote should be used, but I only have a the U gamepad. Would I be wasting money buy picking this up, or is the game perfectly playable with the gamepad?

I used the gamepad for about an hour when my batteries ran out in my Wiimote. I would say it's certainly not preferable, but the game is definitely playable on the gamepad. You are just sacrificing a little bit of precision, that's really it.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

WaffleStomp posted:

It depends on what you mean by "playable". The way the gamepad controls is that the left analog stick controls character movement and cursor movement at the same time. It's perfectly passable, (in fact, it's how the original GameCube Pikmins controlled) although the wiimote configuration is vastly superior.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sire Oblivion posted:

My god, so the Plasma Wraith can't kill the Rock Pikmin outside of the elemental attacks? That's amazing.

Seriously? At one point in the fight the plasma wraith spent at least a minute trying to stab a rock pikmin caught in a corner while I pummeled him. I thought it was a glitch and that the rock pikmin was just out of reach, but if they really can't be killed by anything but the elements that fight seems a lot easier now.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

WaffleStomp posted:

I played through the whole game with the gamepad without any trouble. I never used the Wii Remote for comparison, but the game works just fine without it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Internet Kraken posted:

Seriously? At one point in the fight the plasma wraith spent at least a minute trying to stab a rock pikmin caught in a corner while I pummeled him. I thought it was a glitch and that the rock pikmin was just out of reach, but if they really can't be killed by anything but the elements that fight seems a lot easier now.

In the video he deposits everything but 5 Blue Pikmin, 10 Yellows (seldomly used for elemental stuff) and the rest are Rocks. None of them died and the poking attacks didn't effect the Rock ones at all. The Rock Pikmin are also useful for the fire elemental attack because the core is exposed and can be destroyed before the goo ignites. Not only that he glitched the whole final area by doing it in reverse. What the hell.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

WaffleStomp posted:

Using the gamepad alone is perfectly fine and most of the precision complaints from people are overcome by holding down the R button to manually aim.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
I played through the entire game with the gamepad and didn't even consider switching to the remote. It was a bit hard to adjust to moving both myself and the cursor simultaneously but you get used to it really quickly. The only problem that might persist longer is hitting aerial enemies, but you eventually get a feel for that too. It's very playable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sire Oblivion posted:

In the video he deposits everything but 5 Blue Pikmin, 10 Yellows (seldomly used for elemental stuff) and the rest are Rocks. None of them died and the poking attacks didn't effect the Rock ones at all. The Rock Pikmin are also useful for the fire elemental attack because the core is exposed and can be destroyed before the goo ignites. Not only that he glitched the whole final area by doing it in reverse. What the hell.

Huh. Not surprised he only managed to get through that all in one day via a glitch, even when you know exactly what to do it seems like you simply can't move fast enough to clear it unless there was a speed upgrade I missed somewhere.

Knowing that the final boss literally can't kill rock pikmin is incredibly lame. I put all my rock pikmin back in the onion since I hated using them and didn't even bother trying to crack the crystal elements. The whole problem with Titan Dweevil was that he could only attack with elements so putting Prism Wraith under the same limitation would make the fight way too easy.

As for controls, people seem to use the gamepad just fine but I found it to be so horrible to control that I almost gave up on the game. I played the first two Pikmin games without any controller problems so I'm not sure why the gamepad felt so bad to me. It's like the sensitivity on the cursor was jacked up ridiculously high so I couldn't move without my cursor moving to the max distance.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to switch the camera angle to top-down? Or zoom out manually? Because I just fought that giant spider in the Distant Tundra and not being able to see it half the time because of the camera is pure loving evil. So many Pikmin deaths. And the drat thing didn't even leave a corpse! What a dick.

Also, the final boss's insistence on making you hit the exact middle of those orbs to get the blocks while running from Stabby McGee the Plasma Wraith is a loving nightmare. I'm sitting there chucking Blues at a water orb while running for my life and if they don't get dead center, they just stand in the middle of the thing like dead fish. Christ, makes me remember the good ol' days of Pikmin 1 and Emperor Bulbax like it was a beach vacation.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This is the most thought anybody's ever put into Pikmin. (Spoilers for Pikmin 3)

I gotta say I never really gave much thought as to why some bosses left behind a corpse and some just wilted/melted away.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm 5 minutes into this and this is probably the most spergy thing I've listened to.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just cleared the game with only 10 pikmin dead. They all went by the stupidest possible way you can imagine and I'm tempted to redo the final day because of it.

Final boss spoilers He had 0 health left and flew in the air, all my pinks rushed him like normal and RIGHT AS HE DIED a poo poo ton of ghosts flew up. There was no death cry so I think it may of been a glitch but still.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I am contemplating getting this game to play along with my kids (ages 5 and 8) and I was wondering about the time limit people have mentioned. My concerns are a) having to stop playing right when the kids want to keep going and b) having to play the game often in order to complete it within a certain number of days. How does that work after all?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I am contemplating getting this game to play along with my kids (ages 5 and 8) and I was wondering about the time limit people have mentioned. My concerns are a) having to stop playing right when the kids want to keep going and b) having to play the game often in order to complete it within a certain number of days. How does that work after all?

Each day is about 20 minutes. At the start of the game (when it isn't tutorial) you have 2 days worth of juice left. Each fruit you get usually gives you 1-1 1/2 of juice.

Fruit doesn't grow back, but unless you literally stand still all day you're honestly never in danger of running out. On most first playthroughs I've seen that aren't even 100% runs most dudes end with 46+ in stock. The hard limit is 99 I believe. There's plenty of time :v:

Do limit playtime though if you let them play with the wii-mote + nunchuck. The charge attack it teaches you is crucial but after a few hours of playing it you can really cramp your wrists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
Just finished the main story on 37 days, with 44 fruit. This is definitely my favourite game of the year. I know some people are complaining it is too short, but my life is pretty busy so it suits me. I'd much prefer to finish a game wanting more rather than be fed up before I have completed the main story. It's one of the few modern games I think I might replay, and the missions are pretty great too.

I always find it weird how the aesthetic of the Pikmin games seems so chilled and relaxing, but when you actually play the games they can be one of the most tense gaming experiences (Especially Pikmin 3).

Balcony fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 3, 2013

• Locked thread