Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Pikmin is one of my favorite video game series, and I bought a Wii U very close to launch specifically for Pikmin 3 (and that drat launch window promise :argh:), I'm so excited to finally get to play it!

Also relevant: Olimar confirmed to return for the new Smash Bros. in case any of you didn't see.

Pixeltendo posted:

Pikmin 3 also continues the tradition of bringing back the loving Bulbears.

Bulbears are basically enemies with no set path and will literally go straight for your pikmin if it sees you, also little versions will follow it too.

God help me if they bring back the water wraith and gatling goink too.

Yellow Wollywogs are the bane of my existence. Ruined a lot of really good days, and are the reason my 9 day Pikmin 1 run wound up being a 10 day. Getting hung up on one took up just enough time that, by the end of the day, I was just not able to get the last piece in Distant Spring to the rocket :byodood:

Right now I'm playing through some other games, once I'm done with these I think I'll go through Pikmin 1 and 2 again in anticipation of 3. I'll give another shot at the 9 day Pikmin 1 and 8 day Pikmin 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Louie was awesome and I hope he's in Pikmin 3 in some capacity. Also they should make him and these three new captains alternate skins for Olimar in Smash!

Internet Kraken posted:

I randomly rented Pikmin from a store when I was a kid. I loved the game so much I bought a copy of it before my rental was even up. It's just such a charming game full of so many neat creatures and settings. I loved it so much. These games are a big part of what got me involved in biology. One of my favorite things about Pikmin 2 was getting to read Olimar's field science reports about all the bizzare life on that planet. They had people sit down and look at each enemy, then think about what place they would have in the weird bizzare ecosystem that had taken hold of earth. People actually thought about the lives of floating ballon bugs that spit bombs and giant frogs with a burning desire to squash everything.

And then you beat the game and get to read Louie's hosed up ideas about cooking bugs :shepface:

If you enjoyed those notes in Pikmin 2, you may be interested in the notes at the back of the Nintendo Power strategy guide for Pikmin 1! I took pictures and transcribed the text for a Pikmin LP by Faceguy a few years back, and it's archived right here!

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

shmee posted:

Something that the instruction manual does seem to hint at which pleases me greatly is white and purple Pikmin seem like they will make an appearance. They are listed with their abilities, anyway.

They appear in Mission Mode and I think the multiplayer stuff.

Internet Kraken posted:

The fake Nintendo products were pretty amusing too.

The real Nintendo products were great too! Like some of the cards and the love tester from early in their history, and ROB and his disk things!

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Walliard posted:

For a moment I thought there had to be some weird glitch involved because you have to visit each of the first two levels a second time after getting blue Pikmin. But then I remembered some creative "sequence breaking" you can do in the Forest of Hope:
  • Whistle Pikmin across the water to build the bridge from the Libra,
  • Toss yellows w/bomb-rocks onto the top of the waterlogged gate leading to the Cannon Beetle/Radiation Canopy,
  • Toss Pikmin onto the pushable box leading to the Snagrets/Geiger Counter, then carefully whistle them down to the other side from within the water.
But I always figured that would take way too long to be worthwhile in a speedrun. I'd be really surprised if this isn't a TAS.

The Pikmin 6 day speed run on YouTube from 2011 is a real console run, and it's pretty amazing. I haven't watched the Pikmin 2 7-day yet, I really need to get around to that soon.

I seem to recall reading in the Pikmin thread on TASVideos that for a TAS, which counts real time rather than number of days, 7 days would actually be faster for Pikmin 1. I'm assuming going back to Forest of Hope with blues would save a little time over trying to get everything in one day (where you'll wind up winding down to the last tick of the clock basically).
Fake Edit: I actually just checked the thread, by the looks of it the main issue was having to let all of the reds flower on day 1, but 6-day is only slower than 7-day in a TAS of the GC version and it's by such a small amount that it may be ignored in favor of minimal days.

I attempted to do the 6 day challenge, but I couldn't even get past the first few parts of Forest of Hope. That's when I switched to my 9 day attempt that was lost in Distant Spring, one single part was about a half second away from my ship when the timer ran out, otherwise I would have had it. I think I lost some Pikmin in that run, but I did have a few of the bullshit crushing deaths in Forest Naval.

E: Oh yeah, and I preordered my copy of 3 on Tuesday, so now I just need to play the waiting game.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

As an owner of the Wii version of Pikmin, should I try to beat it, or just skip straight to Pikmin 2?

If you're in the US you still have 15 days before 3 comes out, plenty of time to play and beat both!

And if you aren't able to you will die of oxygen poisoning.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

E:^^^^^^^^^^^
Here's day 2, you don't need to watch day 1, all you need to know is he flowers the reds and gets the ship part. I highly recommend this speed run for viewing, every day is a nail biter and there's some crazy micromanaging to pay attention to.
e:Here's day 2 from another guy, it's in better quality and has annotations so you can click to the next day.

Lizard Wizard posted:

The only time I bothered with that, I believe, was with the very first Pikmin you get in the tutorial.

That was the only time I did it in Pikmin 1. In Pikmin 2 I did it with some reds on day 1, and did it with all of my purples as long as the sublevel I was on was safe.

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 20, 2013

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I also found this same guy has done a "Perfect Pikmin" run where he beats it in 6 days with no deaths. Haven't checked it out yet but here it is if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3M8eoR7IaY

Oh, wow, I need to watch this version then. Have you seen the old 9 day 50 Pikmin challenge? That one is pretty interesting too, especially when Candypop buds are introduced to the equation.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Edit: I just watched the video I posted and it's ridiculous. I don't even understand some parts of it like when he sets them to carry the Geiger Counter and they head right off into the Snagret area. How do they not get eaten?

The Pikmin on the Geiger Counter were all flowers so they could run fast enough, and getting past Snagrets without any dying isn't actually that bad because of the windup the Snagrets need for their attacks. Now the Bulborbs on the other hand, I have no clue how they managed to sneak past all of those without losing any. My guess is luck, he would probably just reset on that part over and over unless they made it through safely.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

Blehh the wait for this game is so painful, knowing full well everyone else has it, and playing pikmin 2 to feed my hunger isn't helping enough.

I know, right? I've played through basically every game I planned to play through this summer, I thought I would finish up closer to Pikmin 3's release.

At least it seems like most major websites aren't publishing a bunch of stuff about the game so it won't be spoiled a few days early.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

At least the events of 2 got rid of every last dweevil from the looks of things. Of course that probably wrecked things ecosystem wise. Dweevils weren't even predatory towards pikmin if I remember. They mostly kept to the caves and one subspecies just had a bad habit of blowing themselves and anybody else around them up.

I keep getting confused because the captains are from a different planet, but is the planet in Pikmin 3 still the same one we've been to in 1 and 2? Are there any more familiar locations like there were in 2?

njsykora posted:

Leaving Pikmin behind and seeing them run desperately for the Onion as it takes off is 1000x worse than losing a few in a fight. However the little angry stomp bulborbs do when you get them all out of the day safely is motivation enough.

Losing them in battle is horrible, but when you go back to the area a few days later and find some flower Pikmin waiting for you it takes away the sting a little bit :3:

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Olimar and Louie are from Hocotate

Alph, Brittany, and Charlie are fromm Koppai

All games take place on PNF-404 (Earth)

That's what I thought, but some reviews here and there unintentionally make it more confusing than it has to be. Thanks for the clarification!

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

This game rules. I've basically been playing since the moment I got home with it, and it is absolutely worth the wait. I just unlocked the fourth area, hopefully I'm pretty close to getting Blues and Pinks so I can clean up the first few areas.

I haven't reset a whole lot, except in some really bad situations, like losing a ridiculous number of Pikmin or a boss fight taking so long I can't get any of the spoils to the ship.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Registering my game and saw this:

Thanks for posting this, I had a ton of things I hadn't surveyed so I was missing a bunch of points, after doing the surveys I wound up with more than enough to get this bag! Now I need to go through all of my games to see if I have any others I forgot to register.

Regy Rusty posted:

I had a fun moment when I learned a valuable lesson about the "Go There" function - it's a good idea to actually look on the TV to make sure that the way to there is clear. I was fighting an intense battle with Brittany against some Cannon Beetle Larvae while Alph was on a leisurely trip to a new area and suddenly I realized that it's Alph talking to me about his Pikmin being in trouble not Brittany. I hastily switched over and found all my Pikmin on fire and running all over the place (a fiery blowhog had respawned since I'd killed it on an earlier day). I got there just in time to see them start dying in droves. Oops.

Yeah, I just did that with a spider web. Only lost a few Winged Pikmin to it but it was still annoying.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Man, I lost a lot of blues to the boss where you have to get Louie the second time. Good thing he gave me a bunch back at the Onion. Only one more fruit in that area to go!

E: I'm completely done with Garden of Hope now. I've only got 5 or 6 more fruits in each of the other three areas before I go tackle the final area. It should be pretty easy to figure out where the fruits are, I don't think I've revisited these areas now that I have blues yet.
E2: Done with Tropical Wilds. I actually didn't complete a bridge that's near the landing site, I have no clue where the rest of that bridge is but I'm sure it would have helped here and there.

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 5, 2013

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

I just finished off Twilight River, just have five more fruits in the Tundra to go!

Is there a list somewhere of all the data files? After I finish off the Tundra I'd like to go through and make sure I got them all.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Hey guys, don't detonate a bomb rock in a group of bomb rocks. Yeah it'll kill any enemies in the area, but that big of a boom will wipe out all the Pikmin in your group :v:

I just got the last fruits, I missed one Secret File that I'm going to go back for real quick, then on to the last boss. I can't find a list of regular Data Files anywhere so I'm not sure if I missed any of those.

E: Managed to find the last few data files I was missing, now all that's left is getting all of the files in the final area (and actually fighting the final boss I guess..)

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 5, 2013

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

That's pretty awesome. The journal entries are definitely one of the best parts of the game. It's awesome how Brittany can go from :3: to :smithicide: in one entry.

So my first round with the final boss went pretty horribly. Lost 84 Pikmin, but I got it a little below half health.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Well, I beat the final boss with these stats (I guess spoilers in this picture for all the fruits)

http://i.imgur.com/Bdun9k3.jpg

The single player was awesome and makes me really nope there's a Pikmin 4! I guess I'll jump into Mission Mode now though to see what it's all about.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Accursed Walrus posted:

Do all the sections of the log fill up completely (ie 30 slots in a section therefore 30 files in that section) or do some of them remain empty?

Every one of them is filled. There's 4 Olimar Logs, 2 Controls, 4 Indigenous Species, and 2 Secret Files in the final area.

I just got Platinum on the first treasure mission and holy gently caress that was intense. I wound up only having 4 seconds left :byodood:

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

E: ^^^^^^^^
I knew you could do that but it still took me like two days. It didn't help that I kept exploring rather than actively searching for the fragments v:v:v

dijon du jour posted:

Events in this game that I'm assuming you haven't seen yet make it clear that that is definitely not the case.

e: So I went back to my completed save file to see how many files I'd collected and I'm only missing two indigenous life files. I know that one is in the final boss arena, but the other one could be anywhere. :negative:

The ones I was missing were Bulborb 2 and the Bug-Eyed thing. Bulborb 2 is in the water near where you would first see a Bulborb, the Bug-Eyed one was in a dirt patch in an area that has one of them and some of the small ones

Keep in mind each boss has 2 (the final boss has 4), usually you'll find one very close to where you first encounter a given enemy.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Holy poo poo, this Treasure Mission 2 :stonk:

I thought it was being generous with 8 minutes but NOPE. I've managed to get everything but the little piles now, I think I have a good strategy down but holy gently caress time is going to be tight in this one.

E: Just got it with 11 seconds to spare.

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 6, 2013

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Thanks! I seem to be missing... pellet posy.

Well that doesn't narrow down my search area by much. :sweatdrop: I'm guessing it'll be in one of the early areas. I guess I'll start by looking in tropical wilds where you first wake up.

I can't remember exactly but I think it's somewhere in the second area where you find Brittany. Obviously very close to the landing site.

Wherever it is, it's hidden in some plants. There is a Data File where you first wake up in Tropical Wilds though.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Just beat Treasure Mission 3. It was actually a bit easier than I thought it would be, the fact that there were Candypop Buds made me think the level was more complicated than it actually was. Probably the easiest Platinum I've gotten so far.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

If you missed any pieces it's most likely the ones you have to dig out of the hole near the entrance to the boss arena.

I missed those my first time too, and wasn't able to get the avocado back for a while. Just keep in mind that the piles of dirt don't always have bomb rocks, and it's worth tossing a few Pikmin in just to see what you'll get!

E: After a shitload of attempts I managed to beat Treasure Mission 4 with 49 seconds left. Just about everything fell into place, but the biggest piece of advice is do the charge thing on the Bulborb with a shitload of Pikmin. I had like 60, with 13 Purples, the thing died instantly. Put a purple on each thing it dropped, sprayed the group, then got to work on that sides gold piles.

This was also the first time I used the Wii Remote controls. Took some getting used to, but once you've got them down they are really good. I think I'll stick with the Pad though, if only because I like having the extra camera control.

E2: Is it possible to watch a replay after leaving that screen? I'd like to go over that mission again, the amount of multitasking I was juggling was insane.

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 7, 2013

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its funny, I found the second mission to be really, really challenging, and then the third was super easy.

I haven't done mission 5 yet, but mission 4 was pretty challenging, even though I finished it with almost a full minute. It's one where you have to be absolutely on top of all three captains and what they are doing, you need to have a really solid route, and of course a little bit of luck.

I think the first treasure hunting mission has probably been the hardest though. You just do not have that much time to waste, and since you only have the one captain multitasking is extremely limited. The second mission just required a decent enough route and knowing ahead of time where each captain needs to be at a given time. The fourth takes that concepts and gives it a heaping helping of steroids.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Just got the Platinum on treasure 5. Wasn't super hard, just took a while to have a run where everything sort of fell into place in the order I wanted it to. Mission 3 was still by far the easiest.

Now to move on to the battle missions..

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Treasure 1 Platinum tip:
You can whistle down a bunch of red and rock pikmin from the back gold pile from the start, giving you pretty much double starting pikmin and the rest just kind of goes smooth sailing from there.

Holy poo poo why did I never think of that.
I would grab them while my other group was working on the bridge and use them to kill the fire slug things, then grab the bridge building group and go to work grabbing bodies and fruits.

I've gotten all 5 Treasure platinums, haven't gone into the battle ones yet. What are the conditions for getting platinums on the boss fights? I'm really hoping it doesn't have to do with number of Pikmin lost.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Alright, Treasure 4 is nice. A few tries and I keep having the last fruit/pellets in sight of the ship.

Calling it a night, but I think I'll continue to use spicy on my winged dudes to take out the blowfish, send all purples straight to the bulborb, but instead of sending the yellows to help with the bulborb they will either start working on the glass if the bridge is up or at least bring fruit closer to the bridge.

I used the spicy on a group (mostly winged) after killing the Blowhog or Bulborb (I can't remember off the top of my head but I had already gotten the piles on the opposite side, and those two piles were the last thing I did) so they could get the piles of gold. Use as many winged as you can, they carry the pieces much faster and I think they can carry them over the wall, so you're more likely to be able to use spicy sprayed winged Pikmin on the second pile too. And don't forget to use the swarm attack on the Bulborb with a huge group of Pikmin, I had 60 and it died instantly.

E: Like I said before in here, I beat that mission with 49 seconds to spare when I finally did it, and the multitasking going on was insane to be honest.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any tips on how to beat those spiders in the webs?

Take about 10 yellows. When it starts moving, stop throwing. Might have to whistle them off at some point, as long as there are no Pikmin on the web it'll stop moving so you can throw the yellows back on it.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

In other news, I found the Pellet Posy File! It's in The Distant Tundra. Right beside the landing area to the right of the bridge are three Pellet Posies on a cliff. If you kill the right most one it will spit out the data file. That's a mean hiding place Nintendo.

There's like one data file hidden in one of those stupid mushrooms. I was really lucky a stray Pikmin found its way over there, I never would have thought twice about those things.

Does anyone know where the last pile of fragments is for the bridge near the landing site in Tropical Wilds? I went through my whole playthrough without finishing that bridge, but I feel like it would help a lot on my next playthrough.

E: I think it's interesting to see different peoples approaches to given situations, like fighting enemies. I never tried hitting a spider with a Rock Pikmin for example, because at that point I already had yellows, they reached high enough and killed fast enough for my tastes, so I never thought twice about my method.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

I got the In The Garden video. Looks like the President of Hocotate Freight put the company back in debt, probable with all of his vacations :3:

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I just got this game and played through the first couple of days. I'm enjoying it, but I have one question: do you eventually unlock the directional march thing from the New Play Control Pikmin?

In the New Play Control games (well, the first one at least), you pressed down on the d-pad (I think), and you would play a little marching tune on your whistle and the Pikmin would march to where you're pointing. It was useful to get a large group of Pikmin to attack a wall or something instead of tossing them one at a time.

I haven't found anything like the directional march (it was the function of the C-Stick on the GCN versions) but if you haven't been using the charge feature you definitely want to be doing that. Lock onto something (Z on Wii Remote, ZL on Gamepad) and shake the nunchuck (or press B on the Gamepad controls), you have to be kinda close for it to work but the Pikmin will all swarm whatever you locked on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

I can't really help you, mine always shakes and freaks out but it's definitely just my shaky hands that cause it v:v:v

I did the first Battle mission and got Platinum, once I realized that I didn't actually have to lug every body back to the onions it because much easier.

• Locked thread