Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bland posted:

Lose just one pikmin and you're a monster beyond redemption

Leave one behind and you're probably worse than Hitler. :godwin:

Seriously, no game makes me feel as bad as Pikmin does if I ever leave one behind. And there always seems to be at least one every playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I've been plowing through the game, I think I'm at the last area because it doesn't have any fruits in it and it's some sort of Olimar protecting mission I have 3 areas at 100% and it feels like I've barely played. :smith: I can't believe I've waited nearly 10 years and this game is going to be shorter than Pikmin 2 was.

What's Red Nectar do? I never managed to get any of my Pikmin to drink it because it was in an area where a Shaggy Long Legs was stomping around and I never saw it again (even though it lingered for a few days). And in the Distant Tundra, there's a series of ledges I can't seem to access with the last bits of fruit on them; I've searched all around and I can't find a single way to get up there. When I use the map to send a Captain up there there's an area where the waypoint crosses over onto the ledge as if there is supposed to be something there for them to get up there but it's just a bunch of straw or something on the ground.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Wicked Wall posted:

To get up there, you have to take your captains to the area where the berry plant is as well as the swooping snitchbugs. Then, if you throw 2 captains and all your pikmin onto that plateau (there's a stick the pikmin can construct in the corner to climb up) you can go to the tip of the area and throw them onto a series of bounce mushrooms to get them across. Aside from some fruit there's the aforementioned haybale which works like a bridge, it'll make that area accessible via a hay ramp. Oh, also Fiery Blowhogs so be careful when throwing your pikmin over as they like to auto-dig/carry the nearby fruit..

Oh, and to use Ultra Spicy Spray from red nectar, press up on the control pad.

Thanks man, I have no idea why I didn't think of tossing the other Captains over to the Snitchbugs. I'm retarded.

Regy Rusty posted:

Ohhh man I just did the fourth boss and couldn't get Louie and the fruit back in time so I had to abandon him. Alph's log for this situation is hilarious.

I had to do the same thing, I was afraid that the body of the boss was going to be gone the next day but everything was still there thankfully.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is it just me, or do the Pikmin have a little more personality to them? This game is so great so far.

I love that if you toss one up on a high ledge it'll turn around, look down, and wave at you. :3:

sigher fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 6, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Welp, here's my final score:

I'm pretty proud of how I did, but holy loving christ that last boss, I thought I was playing a horror themed level with all of the Pikmin ghosts rising from their tiny corpses. All of those poor fucks. :smith:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Are all of the Missions co-op? I haven't had a chance to try them (and I don't care to do them solo) but my friend and I had a blast playing the game at E3 together and I hope that we have a good chunk of things to do together later this weekend.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's completely absent, which is strange because every other direction on the D-Pad gets used except down. :psyduck: But then again, Nintendo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

The last fruit I need to collect is the one in the Tropical Wilds that is in the middle of nowhere on the map. I swear I've been up and down every path looking for an access point, but I can't seem to find any way to get to it.

What am I missing here?

The red bridge close to base, go under it into the water-way with some Flying Pikmin.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

katkillad2 posted:

It's possible to do Formidable Oak in one day, but unlikely unless you know the very precise route and I think it involves a bit of a skip. You can see it here, just fast forward to 2:22:00 http://www.twitch.tv/milessmb/b/444659805

This guy got all fruit in 10 days :psyduck:, pretty sure that's the fastest it can be done.

My god, so the Plasma Wraith can't kill the Rock Pikmin outside of the elemental attacks? That's amazing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Internet Kraken posted:

Seriously? At one point in the fight the plasma wraith spent at least a minute trying to stab a rock pikmin caught in a corner while I pummeled him. I thought it was a glitch and that the rock pikmin was just out of reach, but if they really can't be killed by anything but the elements that fight seems a lot easier now.

In the video he deposits everything but 5 Blue Pikmin, 10 Yellows (seldomly used for elemental stuff) and the rest are Rocks. None of them died and the poking attacks didn't effect the Rock ones at all. The Rock Pikmin are also useful for the fire elemental attack because the core is exposed and can be destroyed before the goo ignites. Not only that he glitched the whole final area by doing it in reverse. What the hell.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm 5 minutes into this and this is probably the most spergy thing I've listened to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Minidust posted:

Quick question about Pikmin 3: Does the single player story have you revisiting areas once you leave them? Right now I'm just following along where the story takes me, but I have no idea if there's a point where the narrative kind of pauses and lets you do your own thing. If there isn't, then I'll go ahead and do some backtracking to get the fruit that I missed.

For extra clarification: I realize that I CAN just go back to an area if I want. I'm just wondering if I'll end up missing a lot if I voluntarily go where the story tells me to go. Or if there's like, an obvious part where they say "are you SURE you're ready to go to the _____ area?" so you know to go and collect things before the end of the game.

Sorry if this has been covered a lot, but didn't want to spoil anything by reading through the thread.

Basically once you get all of the characters together, Alph, Brittany and Charlie, you're free to go to any previous areas to collect missing fruit and explore, there's nothing major you'll be missing if you don't go back. You'll know you're at the end of the game when you unlock the final area which doesn't have fruit to collect, it will also take you several attempts to get through so have a couple days worth of juice set aside for it. Once that final area is unlocked, that's when you'll want to do you 100% clean-up and then go for the end of the game.

• Locked thread