Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I can't believe so many people like Pikmin 2 more than the first. Dreary, never-ending, randomized caves were really boring in comparison to the dense, cleverly plotted, beautiful environments in the original. I also missed the time aspect; I see why the time limit made some people anxious in the original, but the sequel completely freezing time in the caves was probably going way too far in the other direction. You lose a lot of the fun of the intense micromanaging when your not under ANY time restraint (even if it's just the daily sundown countdown every 10 minutes). The second commander was pretty cool though, as was the game's length and the new Pikmin.

Luckily it seems like 3 is going combine the best aspects of both games, and the new Pikmin look fun as heck, and I've basically been looking forward to this game for a decade so I'll be there on day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I know in the old games (or at least in the GCN version of Pikmin 1 which I replayed a few months ago) if your Pikmin surrounded an enemy / an item to carry they would start attacking / carrying automatically. Is there any way to get them to do that in this game? From what I've played so far it seems like they'll only do something if you throw them, which is fine most of the time but is a little annoying when you have to tap the A-button 20 times in a row to move a 20-Pikmin boulder instead of just swarming it with a big 20+ army. It would at least be nice if holding A fired Pikmin continuously, but it seems like it just charges up a Pikmin throw?

One other question: do Rock Pikmin do anything when thrown at dirt walls? It seems like the Red Pikmin are the only ones doing any work, but it's hard to tell.

Overall, really enjoying what I played so far and this game is a much better sequel to the first game than Pikmin 2 was. I'm also not worried about the game's supposed short length since I've found myself redoing every day multiple times like a crazy person to optimize the day (I replayed the first day of Arctic Tundra four times to get the entire bridge built while also harvesting all killed enemy bodies along the way on one go).

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Am I supposed to be able to (endgame spoilers) get Olimar back to the ship in Formidable Oak in one day?? I thought I was getting really good and efficient at this game, but this whole chase sequence is really kicking my butt and I'm having trouble getting further than the start the darkened cave area.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I played and loved this game when it came out but only recently got to try the DLC and oh my goodness the new treasure missions are HARD to Platinum. The second DLC one (Silver Lake Remix) took me probably 4-5 hours to make Platinum. Only the first hour or so of that was thinking up the main optimal route, the rest of it was perfecting every part of the plan. Just finished it with 13 seconds to spare.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Pikmin 2 has a lot of strong points - a ton of junk to find, way more enemy creatures than in the other games, Louie, a neat multiplayer mode that noone ever played - but shifting the focus away from the original format and towards those drab, tedious, neverending caves was a big mistake, and I'm glad they course-corrected with Pikmin 3.

I'll definitely second this. Even though 2 introduced a lot of interesting ideas that show up in 3, 1 is really more closely related to 3 than 2 is. Pikmin 1 is kind of a shortened, simplified version of Pikmin 3, and I definitely recommend it to the poster who has only played 3; Pikmin 2 is kind of a sprawling mess with a somewhat different feel, though still a good game.

• Locked thread