Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Fixed for accuracy.

Why are you insistent on making it a race issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Arrgytehpirate posted:

This case is nothing loving special and I don't get why anyone gives a flying gently caress. There are dozens of murders and probably hate crimes each day in America and this is the one I get to hear about. Woo loving hoo. I'm glad it's over and I hope everyone can shut the gently caress up about it now.

Nuke the earth, end the suspense.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

the posted:

It doesn't matter. In the end it really boils down to Black vs. "A lighter shade than Black."

Don't give me that, this confrontation on the bus according to my friend was pretty heated, and that was my Nicaraguan friend(according to him) completely humiliating and insulting several black men and a black woman based on(according to him), them saying they should arrest all Hispanics.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Isn't Zimmerman about to get in trouble for molesting his cousin for years?

TheJukku
May 4, 2012

by T. Finninho
While I think Zimmerman should have gotten manslaughter (though not murder) charges, holy hell the race debacle over a hispanic man killing a black man and white people somehow being at fault for all of it makes my mind reel.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

the runs formula posted:

Because if Trayvon Martin was white he would still be alive.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Twee as gently caress posted:

And where does that guy pass as white?

If you open up photoshop and mess with the hue maybe?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

SocketWrench posted:

People shouting racism using racism to say he looks "close enough"

Yeah I've just learned that anyone who isn't black is therefore white or something.

Why do people absolutely feel the need to make this a racial issue? That's not why that happened and it's only making things worse by artificially loading it with even more emotions than this case needed.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

~*race speculation*~

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

So now you're saying that anyone who isn't black is now white?

So the Chinese, the Arab world and South Americans are all white now according to you?

What are you even trying to say?
He and others trying to explain the concept of a) the white racial frame b) intersectionality of racism and c) the fluidity of race and whiteness. It's not an easy set of concepts to explain, and it's especially difficult to understand when you're either deliberately or unintentionally obtuse.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~

SocketWrench posted:

People shouting racism using racism to say he looks "close enough"

You don't have to be white to be a racist, everyone busy pointing out how not-white Zimmerman is are just grasping at straws. Even I clung to that at first to try and make this whole thing a little less lovely.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

the runs formula posted:

~*race speculation*~
If Trayvon Martin was white George Zimmerman wouldn't have thought there was anything suspicious about some kid in a hoodie wandering around a neighborhood looking lost.

Even if that was the case, then at least it wouldn't have taken the police 2 months to arrest Zimmerman.

This is absolutely a case about race in America, and if you can't see that, you're being willfully ignorant.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Yeah I've just learned that anyone who isn't black is therefore white or something.

Why do people absolutely feel the need to make this a racial issue? That's not why that happened and it's only making things worse by artificially loading it with even more emotions than this case needed.

Because people don't feel suspicious around White kids, but they do around Black kids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cCQU0jt4cs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLXCCcqnY-I

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Seriously? This is exactly the kind of bullshit I can't stand. Automatically assuming that crime is exclusive to notwhite people is loving bullshit. How do you know that? Oh wait, you don't.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If Trayvon Martin was white George Zimmerman wouldn't have thought there was anything suspicious about some kid in a hoodie wandering around a neighborhood looking lost.

He probably thought something was suspicious when Trayvon started attacking and beating him.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

the runs formula posted:

~*race speculation*~

If you don't understand that the words you are quoting are objectively true then you are deluded as gently caress.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

the runs formula posted:

~*race speculation*~

See this absolutely has to be about racism, because otherwise they might be forced to admit that Zimmerman might not have been in the wrong, or even right to do what he did.

But when you say it's about race (He's white, no African-Americans on the jury, and so on) then you can keep the same positions you had before and not only feel vindicated but some righteous outrage that you are getting it right while those juries got it wrong because you know better than them.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

the runs formula posted:

~*race speculation*~

Do you really think Zimmerman would have ever gotten out of his car if Martin were white?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Zimmerman didn't recite the 14 words and click his heels before shooting Trayvon with a SS luger. No racism involved, its impossible.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TheJukku posted:

While I think Zimmerman should have gotten manslaughter (though not murder) charges, holy hell the race debacle over a hispanic man killing a black man and white people somehow being at fault for all of it makes my mind reel.

Let me bring you up to speed. In GBS the whites do the crimes, the blacks get arrested for it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Jersey Mike posted:

Seriously? This is exactly the kind of bullshit I can't stand. Automatically assuming that crime is exclusive to notwhite people is loving bullshit. How do you know that? Oh wait, you don't.

GZ just really distrusts sweatshirts, is all. Never met a sweatshirt he's liked.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The Worst Unicorn posted:

You don't have to be white to be a racist, everyone busy pointing out how not-white Zimmerman is are just grasping at straws. Even I clung to that at first to try and make this whole thing a little less lovely.

To be fair, based on just his name I considered him to be white until just a few days ago when my co-worker pointed out he's mixed and considers him Hispanic.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves he had some loving skittles.

Jersey Mike posted:

Nobody's saying that. The point is that young black men are automatically under a lot more suspicion than young white men, especially to overzealous neighborhood watch types.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Nucleic Acids posted:

Do you really think Zimmerman would have ever gotten out of his car if Martin were white?

Even if he did, you wouldn't have been raising your voice.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SocketWrench posted:

Let me bring you up to speed. In the real world the whites do the crimes, the blacks get arrested for it.
Fixed to make the statement actually true.
Look at the racial proportions of drug arrests despite the fact that whites use drugs more than blacks and tell me I'm wrong.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Even if that was the case, then at least it wouldn't have taken the police 2 months to arrest Zimmerman.

Do you have any shred of proof that what you are saying is true?

I also notice that what you just wrote actually does not in any way have any bearings on what actually transpired in that T intersection.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

the posted:

Because people don't feel suspicious around White kids, but they do around Black kids:

Pretty much this.

Everybody saying this isn't a race issue isn't focusing on the fact that Zimmerman stalked Trayvon because "he looked suspicious". Black teen in a hoodie eating Skittles walking around, and Zimmerman on a 911 call said that was "suspicious".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in what planet does that not constitute racial profiling?

edit: Not saying "lolwhite people", far from it. Zimmerman's Hispanic and that fact shouldn't be forgotten either.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I guess the jury found Zimmerman white enough relative to Martin for a not guilty verdict.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
im white

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Disappointed, but not surprised. I guess the South really is going to rise again.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Holy poo poo I think we've reached peak white guilt in this thread already.

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

See this absolutely has to be about racism, because otherwise they might be forced to admit that Zimmerman might not have been in the wrong, or even right to do what he did.

But when you say it's about race (He's white, no African-Americans on the jury, and so on) then you can keep the same positions you had before and not only feel vindicated but some righteous outrage that you are getting it right while those juries got it wrong because you know better than them.
I'd really like to live in your fantasy world, man, because gosh that post-racial candyland you envision sure does sound swell. People only use racism as cover for their opinions! No one is actually racist, there's no way people viewing black teenagers as inherently threatening has anything to do with this!

Meanwhile, in reality:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Worst Unicorn posted:

That's nice. Now then, if we could end the "a white man walked free because of racism" and desperately trying to swing this as a race issue between blacks and whites, perhaps things would be a bit less lovely.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Sweeney Tom posted:

Pretty much this.

Everybody saying this isn't a race issue isn't focusing on the fact that Zimmerman stalked Trayvon because "he looked suspicious". Black teen in a hoodie eating Skittles walking around, and Zimmerman on a 911 call said that was "suspicious".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in what planet does that not constitute racial profiling?

Because not everybody's world involves every black person wearing a hoodie being a suspicious person. I've seen plenty of white assholes who look suspicious wandering around where I used to live. At one point does a statement of skin color become a mere observation and not a racial remark?

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

MustelaFuro posted:

I guess the jury found Zimmerman white enough relative to Martin for a not guilty verdict.

Yeah this explains the bias of 6 women. They just can't think straight of their obligations to the white races and the florida justice system.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I think GZ would be wise to either leave the country permanently, or to change his appearance drastically along with his name. There are going to be groups trying to target him. I do think from a legal standpoint, the verdict was what I expected, but he is the only one who truly knows what went down that night.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah man two streets down from me there is nothing but white meth heads. I'm pretty sure my town arrest 10 white guys for every black guy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Bible posted:

Disappointed, but not surprised. I guess the South really is going to rise again.

And I'll be ready to stomp it back down again.

jazzhandzzz
Feb 3, 2011

the runs formula posted:

Yeah you're right cause the case where a guy racially profiled a young black kid and then shot him to death shouldn't be made into a "race issue".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Quixotic posted:

I'd really like to live in your fantasy world, man, because gosh that post-racial candyland you envision sure does sound swell. People only use racism as cover for their opinions! No one is actually racist, there's no way people viewing black teenagers as inherently threatening has anything to do with this!

Meanwhile, in reality:

Now show me a map of the US that highlights the places where residents are most likely to claim with a straight face that your graph proves that black people are more likely to deserve to get shot.