Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

the runs formula posted:

Don't assault people and you won't get shot. It seems pretty straight forward.

So you're saying that if I punch a dude in the head that automatically means that he can shoot me? Where's the justice in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Are Hispanics incapable of racism? I don't really understand the "Zimmerman was Hispanic" defense unless it's specifically in response to claims of white supremacy or something.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I think GZ would be wise to either leave the country permanently, or to change his appearance drastically along with his name. There are going to be groups trying to target him. I do think from a legal standpoint, the verdict was what I expected, but he is the only one who truly knows what went down that night.

This is true of a lot of murder cases.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pokaroo posted:

Yeah you're right cause the case where a guy racially profiled a young black kid and then shot him to death shouldn't be made into a "race issue".

The defense lawyer also stated if Zimmerman had been black he'd have never been charged with any crime.

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

Is there a source for these numbers?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lovely verdict, but I am not suprised in the least.

No one saw the altercation and it basically came down to a dead black kids version of the events against Zimmermans.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Because if Trayvon Martin was white he would still be alive.

If Zimmerman was black, it wouldn't even have been newsworthy.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The Bible posted:

Disappointed, but not surprised. I guess the South really is going to rise again.

I used to think this, and then noticed every time I did they found ways to sink even lower.

Took guts for the jury to decide that way. Facts aside, I don't know if I could look at Martin's mom and say what amounts to "Sorry, your boy deserved to get shot to death for attacking that man."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Are Hispanics incapable of racism? I don't really understand the "Zimmerman was Hispanic" defense unless it's specifically in response to claims of white supremacy or something.

We're racist as fucks too, and primary beef among racists in this community is with blacks. Straight up.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fog Tripper posted:

It's still not newsworthy. It's just on the news.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Nonsense posted:

And I'll be ready to stomp it back down again.

Shouldn't you be posting about how you are going to be rioting on twitter?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

Because he would have already been arrested?

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if everyone will be as compassionate when GZ, an innocent man, gets gunned down by someone of another race.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm white as hell, and I loving wish we had riots.
I can tell you right now that if I saw a riot going on, I'd stand by my black brothers and sisters.
MLK was wrong. I have a dream that blacks and whites with decency and sense in their veins will violently overthrow the system, together, side by side.

Same.. listening to hip hop all night in a show of solidarity.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It's still not newsworthy.

Actually, a man racially profiling a young black kid and initiating a chain of events that led to the kid's death is newsworthy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

Shouldn't you be posting about how you are going to be rioting on twitter?

Did I hit a nerve Johnny Rebel?

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Pokaroo posted:

Yeah you're right cause the case where a guy racially profiled a young black kid and then shot him to death shouldn't be made into a "race issue".

yeah sure... it doesn't matter how much your delusions want it to be true, but the jury decided otherwise. :ssh:

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.
Oh boy, time for this to show up again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jazzhandzzz
Feb 3, 2011

Zanziabar posted:

So you're saying that if I punch a dude in the head that automatically means that he can shoot me? Where's the justice in that?

You don't bring skittles to a gun fight. That's gated community etiquette 101.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The system can never be overthrown without violence? Have you ever read The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander? White people, as long as they are in power, will always find a way to oppress minorities in a way that's subtle enough to placate the drooling masses.

The only alternative to taking up arms is waiting for the Baby Boomers to finally die and hoping beyond all reason that their replacements are somehow better people.

I'm aware of its findings but not the book itself, I'll give it a read, thank you.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought the issue wasn't that Zimmerman was white but rather that Martin was a black male teenager, with all the unfortunate images that puts in people's heads.

This.

It doesn't matter that Zimmerman wasn't white, it only matters that Martin was black and Zimmerman wasn't. Which is why the freep and racist white demographic, who are constantly chomping at the bit for an excuse to shoot black people, rallied behind Zimmerman and his cause. They saw Zimmerman as a surrogate for themselves, acting out their fantasies.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nucleic Acids posted:

Actually, a man racially profiling a young black kid and initiating a chain of events that led to the kid's death is newsworthy.

Local news. This is no way deserves the coverage that it got.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Nonsense posted:

Did I hit a nerve Johnny Rebel?

Now that's just racist as all gently caress.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Quixotic posted:

Meanwhile, in reality:

Meanwhile in reality a complete unsourced chart is useless.

SocketWrench posted:

That's nice. Now then, if we could end the "a white man walked free because of racism" and desperately trying to swing this as a race issue between blacks and whites, perhaps things would be a bit less lovely.

Yeah hopefully.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Trustfund. posted:

I wonder if everyone will be as compassionate when GZ, an innocent man, gets gunned down by someone of another race.

Maybe the guy can use the SYG defense?

keroppl
Jan 4, 2013

oldskool posted:

I used to think this, and then noticed every time I did they found ways to sink even lower.

Took guts for the jury to decide that way. Facts aside, I don't know if I could look at Martin's mom and say what amounts to "Sorry, your boy deserved to get shot to death for attacking that man."

Don't worry, you wouldn't have to because that's not what they're said at all.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Fixed to make the statement actually true.
Look at the racial proportions of drug arrests despite the fact that whites use drugs more than blacks and tell me I'm wrong.

Gee, you'll have to explain the real world to all the white co workers where I am that are on work release. Seems they missed the notice.

I wouldn't say so much racism as simply money. A higher proportion of people living in gang infested areas are black. Thus you're more likely to see more black people in prison due to that.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Trustfund. posted:

Yeah because speculating about the impending riotvengeance that "those people" will soon claim against Zimmerman isn't racist at all. Go gently caress yourself.

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

Is there a source for these numbers?
It's from the Urban Institute's MetroTrends blog, using data pulled from the FBI's Supplemental Homicide Report.

Twee as gently caress posted:

Meanwhile in reality a complete unsourced chart is useless.
Haha this is petty as hell. But like I said, I don't think you're interested in actually understanding anything, especially anything that might break you out of the Racism-Free Dimension. I wouldn't want to leave either, bro.

jazzhandzzz
Feb 3, 2011

the runs formula posted:

yeah sure... it doesn't matter how much your delusions want it to be true, but the jury decided otherwise. :ssh:

Haha what delusions? That he racially profiled him or that he shot him to death? Please tell me where I went wrong.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
If this verdict actually initiates riots in 2013 it would really surprise me.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Sad that so many people in here seem to think someone has to be white for this case to have racial undertones.

This was a young black dude who was killed because he was a young black dude.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Fixed to make the statement actually true.
Look at the racial proportions of drug arrests despite the fact that whites use drugs more than blacks and tell me I'm wrong.

[citation needed]

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Zanziabar posted:

He can knife ya
See Dylan Nuno and George Saadera

keroppl
Jan 4, 2013

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I think GZ would be wise to either leave the country permanently, or to change his appearance drastically along with his name. There are going to be groups trying to target him. I do think from a legal standpoint, the verdict was what I expected, but he is the only one who truly knows what went down that night.

If nothing happens in a week he can probably live without fear.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
It's also possible that he was shot because he was assaulting another person.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Devour posted:

If this verdict actually initiates riots in 2013 it would really surprise me.

Yeah, people are putting a little too much stock in the ramblings of dumbasses on twitter.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

[citation needed]

Well there are more white people in America, and casual-heavy drug use is rampant, why does that require citation? EDIT: Also those who have used but never continued to use. I don't know about actual number though to be honest.

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

Now show me a map of the US that highlights the places where residents are most likely to claim with a straight face that your graph proves that black people are more likely to deserve to get shot.
*circles GBS on a map*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Fog Tripper posted:

[citation needed]
The canonical source is The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander.

Soul-crushing, well-researched book.