Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zanziabar posted:

So you're saying that if I punch a dude in the head that automatically means that he can shoot me? Where's the justice in that?

If you attack me while I am carrying yes I will loving shoot you. Don't assault people if you don't want to get shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

donJonSwan posted:

This was a young black dude who was killed because he was a young black dude.

And if there is any doubt, there is a 911 call where Zimmerman all but says exactly this.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

If you attack me while I am carrying yes I will loving shoot you. Don't assault people if you don't want to get shot.

Or you know, walk down your street while being black. That'll get you shot too.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

the runs formula posted:

It's also possible that he was shot because he was assaulting another person.

No way, that would be way too god drat logical for this paranoid rear end country.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SocketWrench posted:

Gee, you'll have to explain the real world to all the white co workers where I am that are on work release. Seems they missed the notice.

I wouldn't say so much racism as simply money. A higher proportion of people living in gang infested areas are black. Thus you're more likely to see more black people in prison due to that.

A bit of column A and a bit of column B.

octoroon posted:

Yeah because speculating about the impending riotvengeance that "those people" will soon claim against Zimmerman isn't racist at all. Go gently caress yourself.

In GBS, everyone is racist! :911:

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

ITT: People who have taken classes about/read books about race in America, and those who browse /pol/.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~

SocketWrench posted:

Gee, you'll have to explain the real world to all the white co workers where I am that are on work release. Seems they missed the notice.

I wouldn't say so much racism as simply money. A higher proportion of people living in gang infested areas are black. Thus you're more likely to see more black people in prison due to that.

I guess if large amounts of black people just happen to be poorer and living in bad areas everything's fine.

e. To be less pithy, class and race are too interconnected to be separated like that.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Arghy, If you stalk me on my way home I'm going to shoot you first :clint:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

If you attack me while I am carrying yes I will loving shoot you.

Gun nuts are truly terrifying people. Any slight against them is deserving of death in their eyes.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Marxalot posted:

Arghy, If you stalk me on my way home I'm going to shoot you first :clint:

I'm a pretty quick draw we can have a Mexican standoff.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bullfrog posted:

ITT: People who have taken classes about/read books about race in America, and those who browse /pol/.

/pol/ is celebrating, I see none of that here. I see angry debate, but nobody celebrating. Zimmerman supporters feel his life is ruined, it will be, but not until his molestation trial. And Martin, welp.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

the runs formula posted:

It's also possible that he was shot because he was assaulting another person.

Who was following him because he looked suspicious because...

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

keroppl posted:

Don't worry, you wouldn't have to because that's not what they're said at all.

How is it not? Not guilty through justified self defense is saying Trayvon was beating his rear end so swiftly that it was reasonable to use potentially deadly force to stop said beating. You're saying to his family that Trayvon's actions warranted getting shot at, and that the fact that the bullet a) hit and b) killed him are acceptable consequences.

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

Quixotic posted:

It's from the Urban Institute's MetroTrends blog, using data pulled from the FBI's Supplemental Homicide Report.

Cool. Thanks, buddy. :)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Bible posted:

And if there is any doubt, there is a 911 call where Zimmerman all but says exactly this.

If you're talking about what I think you are, that was edited by some dickheads at the news studio, who later got fired for it. Zimmerman didn't say anything about his race until the cops asked him.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

The Bible posted:

Gun nuts are truly terrifying people. Any slight against them is deserving of death in their eyes.

Yes, clearly me fearing for my life while being attacked by someone of unknown capabilites is a "slight"

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
This thread is gonna spiral out of control quickly (I tried to avoid following the case but CNN is on so many places)

Race played a role for sure. Zimmerman followed someone when he was specifically told not to by a dispatcher. Someone instigated a fight. In my opinion it does not even really matter who did, Zimmerman should have let the authorities deal with what he thought was a potential robber. Zimmerman wanted to be a cop, he relished in being a neighborhood watch and carrying his gun. The problem is none of that tells us he is guilty of murder 2. We know Zimmerman followed Martin after being instructed not to by the 911 operator. That should make him guilty of something. But we don't know who started the fight, and since you can speculate either way that's reasonable doubt.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Pokaroo posted:

Yeah you're right cause the case where a guy racially profiled a young black kid and then shot him to death shouldn't be made into a "race issue".

How many white hoody-wearing 17 year old adults were wandering around the neighborhood that went unnoticed because Z immediately homed in on the black guy?

IIRC the neighborhood had a rash of burglaries, and someone out of the ordinary is going to be noticeable.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Fog Tripper posted:

If Zimmerman was black, it wouldn't even have been newsworthy.
Yes, that is also true, because of the horrific failings of our national media.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
George Zimmerman is declared not guilty of both murder and manslaughter.

First of all, the former part is completely right. Zimmerman is not a murderer. He hardly set out on this trip with the intent of killing Martin. For second-degree murder, the jurors would have had to believe that Martin's unlawful killing was "done from ill will, hatred, spite or an evil intent" and would be "of such a nature that the act itself indicates an indifference to human life." Proving that, or even believing that would be a long stretch, considering all the elements of the case, including the fact that Zimmerman fired only once leaving Martin alive for multiple seconds or even minutes.

While many are quick to rush and scream “murder”, murder is a a heavy act that these same people forget. Often, “killing” translates to “murder” automatically and thus, no justice is being served. People do unlafwully kill people and it is wrong. However, laws should separate different levels of killing to make sure that someone who in the morning wakes up and goes to kill someone is not treated the same as someone who in a heat of passion resorted to deadly force and ended up taking the life of someone.

For me, both in front of the law and with my personal morals, I do not think Zimmerman to be a murderer. I simply think that Zimmerman did not murder anyone and thus, while he certainly did kill a person, he should not be found guilty of murder.

But some people call this a “good thing”. That killing Martin was “the right thing to do”. In what world is the killing of other humans deemed be acceptable? Why do people so readily cheer for the use of deadly force? Why aren't most people calling out for a more peaceful resolution? Would Zimmerman have had to resort to deadly force if he would have just stayed where he was?

Is it so that deep-down, some people just want a justification for using a firearm against someone?

What responsibility does Zimmerman have? He was told by the 911 Dispatcher to not to follow Martin, yet he did. He did not retreat from the situation and it could be said that “he was looking for trouble”. Why? Well, first of all, Florida law does not require him to retreat. He can stand his ground wherever he is legally allowed to be present. So what does this mean? I guess in the end it means that from a confrontation of two trouble seekers, whoever remains alive was the one “who stood his ground?”. Why does the law allow for people to stand their ground anywhere? Whose moral compass points to the right direction when looking for trouble is not only acted on, but is also lawfully permissible? Even if you end up resorting to deadly self-defence after your provocation led to the escalation of force? People should have the right to defend themselves, but making this “right” an all-encompassing excuse for deadly force whenever you are threatened is just a way to ensure that for the aggressors interest, the only good option is to kill the other party. If no one is left standing and breathing, no one can argue for standing their ground.

If I equip myself with a firearm, set out to the wrong side of railroad tracks in North Charleston, find the most shadiest looking groups of people and provoke them to act violently with this situation leading me to “defend myself through standing my ground”, am I doing something wrong?

In Florida, I am not. I can provoke people, I can follow them and I can carry a firearm while doing this.
Doesn't it sound a little wrong? Should provoking be illegal? No, of course not. But that was not the only action undertaken. But in many ways, the legal side for “digging blood from your own nose” should be considered. Maliciously positioning yourself and acting based on the actions that other people take after your provocation should play a role in how your final act, here being the killing, is viewed.

“Standing your ground” is a perversion of so-called “justice”. The logical course of action is to find the most neutral or passive action, such as staying silent, walking away or not approaching a situation.

But no, the law says nothing of the sort. A citizen can follow another one and in case of conflict, resort to deadly force.

That is wrong. Laws very rarely have anything to with right or wrong.
Negligent homicide or voluntary manslaughter are things that I view Zimmerman to be guilty. He, carrying a firearm, provoked a situation and even if he ultimately defended himself, he could have started the “self-defense” from the act of not trying to actively provoke people.

George Zimmerman walks and that's fine. He is not a cold blooded killer roaming the streets, nor do I believe him to cause any harm.
I worry about the people celebrating killing, fantasizing about situations where they can do the same and the common opinion that approves deadly force as an acceptable conflict resolution.

We reap what we sow. Force breeds force, sadness brings sadness, violence instigates violence.
Resolving a conflicts, knowing that deadly force is in your arsenal as something that the law of the land allows, will lead to abuse of it and ensures that the most violent and malicious have justification for their twisted acts.

Violence should never be a sanctioned option, only an act of necessity judged by a case-by-case basis where it should be pointed out to be the last measure someone could take.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Been listening to Miami police scanner and there's a lot of talk of black men roving about with guns, and twitter is mentioning at least one dead in Miami and as many as five in Ft Lauderdale. I don't know if the scanner stuff is at all unusual for a Saturday night, and I'm not inclined to believe the twitter stuff without sources, but hey who knows! Maybe this poo poo is going down. What I think would convince me is a good proper bit of arson.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So you're suggesting that the news cover every single murder case?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

The Bible posted:

No there isn't. He mentioned literally nothing about race until the dispatcher asked him. You must have been watching NBC news where they literally spliced his sentences together to make it look like he did that. The reporters involved were fired and NBC is being sued for defamation.

quote:

On the Today Show, NBC News told America Zimmerman said this on the 911 call:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. He looks black.

When the truth is that the unedited audio actually went like this:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. Or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.

Dispatcher: OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?

Zimmerman: He looks black.

Also, Zimmerman has made 46 calls to the police since 2004. Only 6 of them involved black people.

jazzhandzzz
Feb 3, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah you're right so you can go around picking fights while carrying - WHICH IS WHAT HE DID - And then murder the person. And you think you can get away with it? Go ahead and do that to a white person. Actually go to a rich neighborhood and do that to the first white person you see. Please.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yes, clearly me fearing for my life while being attacked by someone of unknown capabilites is a "slight"

Hey, I wouldn't like it either, but I still don't carry a tool of death on my person habitually. I'm just not that paranoid or afraid of the world.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm a pretty quick draw we can have a Mexican standoff.

http://youtu.be/sXldafIl5DQ

Go three ways and add awesome music.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A more cynical answer would have been Zimmerman would also not have seen a trial if he were black.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

donJonSwan posted:

Who was following him because he looked suspicious because...

Because he was apparently walking in the rain, looking like he was high and walking on the grass looking at houses that had been burgled in the recent past, according to Zimmerman.

That's why he said he called, do you have any proof that he in fact just called because he was a black teen walking and not because Martin was exhibiting suspicious behavior?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So you're suggesting that the news cover every single murder case?
No I'm suggesting that the news at least pretend to maybe sort of care about black-on-black murder.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Bible posted:

Yea, because waiting until someone beats you NEARLY to death before shooting them makes more sense...

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ClemenSalad posted:

No there isn't. He mentioned literally nothing about race until the dispatcher asked him.

Also, Zimmerman has made 46 calls to the police since 2004. Only 6 of them involved black people.

Fair enough, I was mistaken.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
If any of you guys have proof that it was not self-defense feel free to come forward with it. The fact that the jury wasn't even willing to convict him of manslaughter goes to show how little evidence there was. Unless the entire jury was a bunch of racists too.

Also I don't want it to seem like I'm defending racial profiling (but I'm sure someone will think I am regardless of what I say or think), but that doesn't preclude him from defending himself.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Worst Unicorn posted:

I guess if large amounts of black people just happen to be poorer and living in bad areas everything's fine.

e. To be less pithy, class and race are too interconnected to be separated like that.

Do you have a breathing machine or something that keeps you alive to post bullshit like this?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

A more cynical answer would have been Zimmerman would also not have seen a trial if he were black.
That's a bit too cynical, even for me.

Of course, I'm white, so what the gently caress do I know about the struggle that minorities face in this country?
I'm not even saying that ironically. I, as an upperclass white male, have no idea what it's like to be anything other than that in America.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

the Bunt posted:

Are Hispanics incapable of racism? I don't really understand the "Zimmerman was Hispanic" defense unless it's specifically in response to claims of white supremacy or something.

This has been an odd thing to me because in Dallas with large Hispanic and black communities my experience has been that they are racist as gently caress with each other, to the point where they are almost openly antagonistic in a way that would never fly with white racism these days.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Arrgytehpirate posted:

As much as I hate to ruin everyone's fun. Dude, you're being trolled.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It really is the perfect story for them in terms of ratings though. That's literally the only reason this is a thing.

e:

The Bible posted:

Hey, I wouldn't like it either, but I still don't carry a tool of death on my person habitually. I'm just not that paranoid or afraid of the world.

Tell me stories of what living in a nice neighborhood is like :unsmith:

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe this whole trial was just to even whites and blacks out after the OJ case. :smug:

See, I can have awful opinions too!

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Amazingly, not every assault needs to end with someone being shot. This might be a hard concept to grasp for Ameri-goons.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Nonsense posted:

/pol/ is celebrating, I see none of that here. I see angry debate, but nobody celebrating. Zimmerman supporters feel his life is ruined, it will be, but not until his molestation trial. And Martin, welp.
I wouldn't necessarily say I support Zimmerman. I'm saying that this verdict is justified simply due to lack of evidence in the same sense that Casey Anthony verdict was. The people literally calling for Zimmerman's blood are acting on emotions rather then rational understanding of how the criminal justice system works; it's not perfect, but I'd rather see someone found not guilty due to lack of evidence then to see someone found guilty with lack of evidence.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
e: it was actually NOT miami. still hoping for a riot though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Yea, because waiting until someone beats you NEARLY to death before shooting them makes more sense...

Like I said, I would be scared too, but I'm just not so terrified of the world and other people that I make it a point to always be armed and ready to kill or be killed. I just don't get attacked all that often.

I wonder if it's because I don't go out expecting (hoping) it to happen?