Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zanziabar posted:

Amazingly, not every assault needs to end with someone being shot. This might be a hard concept to grasp for Ameri-goons.

Nope, just the assaults where the assaulted feels like their life is in danger and they're in a position to do something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ReidRansom posted:

Been listening to Miami police scanner and there's a lot of talk of black men roving about with guns,

As long as they are properly licensed guns they are legally within their rights to walk around with those guns, despite how threatening you may think their appearance is.

e: As far as the jury is concerned, it isn't like they necessarily have endorsed the self defense story. It means they did not see the evidence as sufficient to fully disprove it. The unfortunate downside to this case is that there will be people who feel themselves emboldened enough to be antagonistic simply because they are armed. An armed society isn't a polite one, it's a society full of assholes who think they can just blow away anyone who takes a poke at them.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Fog Tripper posted:

IIRC the neighborhood had a rash of burglaries, and someone out of the ordinary is going to be noticeable.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Pokaroo posted:

Yeah you're right so you can go around picking fights while carrying - WHICH IS WHAT HE DID - And then murder the person. And you think you can get away with it? Go ahead and do that to a white person. Actually go to a rich neighborhood and do that to the first white person you see. Please.

Look, here's how it is:

In America, it is 100% your right to follow someone in the street. It's even your right to walk up to them and tell them that you think they are horrible pieces of poo poo, that their mothers are whores and even use racial slurs.

If you assault them, you are the one who is guilty of a crime, not them. Being a complete rear end in a top hat is not a felony, while assaulting people is. You can go around picking fights with people as much as you want, as long as you are not throwing any punches first, you're still in the right.

Even if Zimmerman was following Martin, looked creepy and insulted him, the second Martin jumped on him and started to beat him up, that opened a window for Zimmerman to defend himself with lethal force.

That's the reality of things. You can be an rear end in a top hat in America. You can't punch someone because they are one. If you assault someone you might end up dead.

Does this mean that justice always prevails? No. But that's how the system works.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Bible posted:

Hey, I wouldn't like it either, but I still don't carry a tool of death on my person habitually. I'm just not that paranoid or afraid of the world.

I hope you never find yourself in a situation where you wish you had a gun.

Pokaroo posted:

Yeah you're right so you can go around picking fights while carrying - WHICH IS WHAT HE DID - And then murder the person.

I go out of my way to avoid conflict while I am carrying. Zimmerman is an idiot and a fuckwad but he's not a murderer.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

No I'm suggesting that the news at least pretend to maybe sort of care about black-on-black murder.

Murder isn't news. The Arkansas oil spill is news, the NSA is news, student loan rates doubling is news. Zimmerman and Casey loving Anthony aren't news.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That's a bit too cynical, even for me.

I think that was the exact thing Zimmerman's attorney said, post-verdict (the "this wouldn't have went to trial if Zimmerman was black" thing).

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsHv9MszlqI

It's Vancouver, not Miami. This is the original.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think that actually may be the loudest dog whistle I've ever heard.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

oldskool posted:

How is it not? Not guilty through justified self defense is saying Trayvon was beating his rear end so swiftly that it was reasonable to use potentially deadly force to stop said beating. You're saying to his family that Trayvon's actions warranted getting shot at, and that the fact that the bullet a) hit and b) killed him are acceptable consequences.

Why it's almost like what the court was saying is it's not a clear cut case of premeditated murder or something. It's one case where the system actually worked and people are bitching about it while others like you go off with stuff like this

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Murder isn't news. The Arkansas oil spill is news, the NSA is news, student loan rates doubling is news. Zimmerman and Casey loving Anthony aren't news.
They are where they have a Sensationability Factor™.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If Trayvon Martin was white George Zimmerman wouldn't have thought there was anything suspicious about some kid in a hoodie wandering around a neighborhood looking lost.

Even if that was the case, then at least it wouldn't have taken the police 2 months to arrest Zimmerman.

This is absolutely a case about race in America, and if you can't see that, you're being willfully ignorant.

Awesome! A real live psychic fortune teller with a two-way crystal ball, right here in this thread! Shut up about the justice that just got served and tell us the lottery numbers! :allears:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Bible posted:

Like I said, I would be scared too, but I'm just not so terrified of the world and other people that I make it a point to always be armed and ready to kill or be killed. I just don't get attacked all that often.

I wonder if it's because I don't go out expecting (hoping) it to happen?

That's a whole lot of contradiction in one single post. You're saying that folks who carry guns around are terrified of everyone around them, yet later claim that those same people walk around hoping to get attacked so they can shoot someone?

Or maybe people who have a concealed piece are just making sure they have the tools to meet situations that would otherwise end in their death, no matter the likelyhood of that actually happening. I mean, it's pretty unlikely that i'm gonna get beat to death in my area, but if it does it's not like I can claim after death "But wait, it's totally unfair that would happen to me I demand a do over!"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Jersey Mike posted:

The mountains in the distance were a pretty clear giveaway.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Twee as gently caress posted:

Look, here's how it is:

In America, it is 100% your right to follow someone in the street. It's even your right to walk up to them and tell them that you think they are horrible pieces of poo poo, that their mothers are whores and even use racial slurs.

If you assault them, you are the one who is guilty of a crime, not them. Being a complete rear end in a top hat is not a felony, while assaulting people is. You can go around picking fights with people as much as you want, as long as you are not throwing any punches first, you're still in the right.

Even if Zimmerman was following Martin, looked creepy and insulted him, the second Martin jumped on him and started to beat him up, that opened a window for Zimmerman to defend himself with lethal force.

That's the reality of things. You can be an rear end in a top hat in America. You can't punch someone because they are one. If you assault someone you might end up dead.

Does this mean that justice always prevails? No. But that's how the system works.

Except that "fighting words" are a well-established exception to first amendment rights to free speech, so it's okay for jurisdictions to ban them (or, say, to place fault in the speech itself).

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I hope you never find yourself in a situation where you wish you had a gun.

Been doing alright so far.

It helps to live in a country where private firearm ownership is illegal. Strangely, even the outlaws very, very rarely have guns. Weird.

Of course, I didn't always live here. Grew up in Texas, where the majority of people carry guns. Still never needed one.

I suspect it has a lot to do with me not walking around expecting to be in a situation where I'll need to use one. I could just get unlucky one of these days, but oh well, I'm happy enough not to be so scared all the time that I carry one everywhere.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Pokaroo posted:

Yeah you're right so you can go around picking fights while carrying - WHICH IS WHAT HE DID - And then murder the person. And you think you can get away with it?

Well there's legal precedent for it now, so yeah, you probably can. Probably bodes well for this guy too.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They are where they have a Sensationability Factor™.

No it still isn't. That's just the 24 hour news cycle grabbing at easy ratings instead of delivering intelligent, balanced, thought provoking news that actually matters.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

That loving narrator.

"Hope the police crack some skulls tonight" :smug:

Edit: Even though it's from Canada.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sweeney Tom posted:

I think that was the exact thing Zimmerman's attorney said, post-verdict (the "this wouldn't have went to trial if Zimmerman was black" thing).

You are correct, I meant that Zimmerman would have been killed by police and never made it to trial if he was black.

jazzhandzzz
Feb 3, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

How many white hoody-wearing 17 year old adults were wandering around the neighborhood that went unnoticed because Z immediately homed in on the black guy?

IIRC the neighborhood had a rash of burglaries, and someone out of the ordinary is going to be noticeable.

That lived there. That shouldn't have been harassed. By a person with a gun.

Even if you ignore that his suspicion was probably racially motivated, the fact is that he brought a gun to a situation that escalated because of HIS actions. And then HE used the gun.

fursmbrero
Dec 27, 2002

Look, here's how it is:

Remind me again, who had the gun and who had the pack of skittles?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CainFortea posted:

That's a whole lot of contradiction in one single post. You're saying that folks who carry guns around are terrified of everyone around them, yet later claim that those same people walk around hoping to get attacked so they can shoot someone?

That's not necessarily a contradiction.

I doubt literally everyone who carries a gun feels this way.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Look, here's how it is:

Actually that person would be breaking a few laws, namely:

-Public disturbance
-Menacing
-Using foul language in public
-Criminal threatening
-Stalking
etc. etc.

Basically, you're totally wrong.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

The Bible posted:

It helps to live in a country where private firearm ownership is illegal. Strangely, even the outlaws very, very rarely have guns. Weird.
For the love of god please don't turn this into a gun control thread.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Except that "fighting words" are a well-established exception to first amendment rights to free speech, so it's okay for jurisdictions to ban them (or, say, to place fault in the speech itself).

Maybe you should read what fighting words are about, and how many times they've actually been legally followed-up on, before you quote it the next time.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

The Bible posted:

Of course, I didn't always live here. Grew up in Texas, where the majority of people carry guns. Still never needed one.

I suspect it has a lot to do with me not walking around expecting to be in a situation where I'll need to use one. I could just get unlucky one of these days, but oh well, I'm happy enough not to be so scared all the time that I carry one everywhere.

Scared =/= prepared.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pokaroo posted:

That lived there. That shouldn't have been harassed. By a person with a gun.

Even if you ignore that his suspicion was probably racially motivated, the fact is that he brought a gun to a situation that escalated because of HIS actions. And then HE used the gun.

Martin was actually a master of a little known martial arts style. The Nestea and Skittles he had with him could actually be used as deadly weapons.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

fursmbrero posted:

Remind me again who assaulted who? It's not that hard to grasp.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Jersey Mike posted:

And already, the comments are filled with troglodytes.

Though, given that the uploader set them to "uploader approved," I'm not surprised.

Ogodei_Khan
Feb 28, 2009
It seems like the debate is about whether the notion of procedural justice by the court is also enforcing a broader view of justice that deals with structural inequalities that appear in contingent social norms about race. The procedural justice notion of following procedure and its notions of causality seem to be being critiqued more than anything.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess the best way to settle this racial not/racial thing would be with examples where someone has gotten acquitted from shooting someone not black under similar conditions.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I figured Martin was on trial here.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I can tell you which one is the dead child.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Devour posted:

For the love of god please don't turn this into a gun control thread.

Ok, fine, sorry for the derail everyone.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~

Because he was apparently walking in the rain, looking like he was high and walking on the grass looking at houses that had been burgled in the recent past, according to Zimmerman.

That's why he said he called, do you have any proof that he in fact just called because he was a black teen walking and not because Martin was exhibiting suspicious behavior?

Was he supposed to control the weather or change his route after using esp to know which houses had been burgled? As for looking high, what does that mean even?

SocketWrench posted:

Do you have a breathing machine or something that keeps you alive to post bullshit like this?

It's not like I made up intersectionality. You keep on fighting the good fight though, maybe someday we'll all realize this really wasn't a race issue and have a good laugh.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

the runs formula posted:

It's also possible that he was shot because he was assaulting another person.

I'd forgotten that every fist fight is automatically to the death. Trayvon "Incredible Hulk" Martin would have been forced to beat Zimmerman to death with his bare hands to appease Odin or something. As a grown, reasonably built man in his late 20s, Zimmerman was clearly as defenceless as a crippled kitten. It's not like he could have taken a bit of an rear end-whupping like a man and not murdered a kid.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

fursmbrero posted:

I'll get right on that after you tell me who was, according to all witnesses, on top of whom and who was being bashed on concrete by whom.

the posted:

-Public disturbance
-Menacing
-Using foul language in public
-Criminal threatening
-Stalking
etc. etc.

Basically, you're totally wrong.

I'm sorry but at the end of the day it's absolutely legal to walk up to someone and call them an rear end in a top hat, it's not going to be a public disturbance, certainly not menacing or threatening anyone. As far as using foul language in public, are you serious?

Following someone is not stalking either. That's not what stalking is.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Because he was apparently walking in the rain, looking like he was high and walking on the grass looking at houses that had been burgled in the recent past, according to Zimmerman.

That's why he said he called, do you have any proof that he in fact just called because he was a black teen walking and not because Martin was exhibiting suspicious behavior?

I don't, you're right. Though those accounts come from a dude who shot and killed a unarmed kid.

I think it's sad that the allegedly suspicious behavior was walking home from the store, possibly high. Something I've done a thousand times as a teenager. Glad it never got me chased down and then shot I guess?

Guess Trayvon didn't have the right to walk home without being confronted and followed by an armed man. He totally should have justified his existence in that neighborhood to this random stranger creeping on him in a SUV.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bullfrog posted:

I can tell you which one is the dead child.

You mean the dead child who assaulted someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Ogodei_Khan posted:

It seems like the debate is about whether the notion of procedural justice by the court is also enforcing a broader view of justice that deals with structural inequalities that appear in contingent social norms about race. The procedural justice notion of following procedure and its notions of causality seem to be being critiqued more than anything.
:lol: beyond using the thesaurus a bit too much this post sums things up very well