Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gobbles
Oct 15, 2005

Wow, Travyon is dead and George Zimmerman gets to go back to posting on reddit. There's no justice in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Bible posted:

Gun nuts are truly terrifying people. Any slight against them is deserving of death in their eyes.

Thats a bit of a brash generalization, I own a gun, and I believe in my second amendment rights. I also believe that I have the right to defend myself if someone attacks me and makes me fear for my life by striking my head against the curb several times. Self defense only really requires that you act out of a fear for your life.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
Miami-Dade police scanners are lighting up. I dont know if this is normal traffic but drat.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Guilty, or Not-Guilty, the biggest issue here is the law itself, not this one case in particular.

SYG gives wannabe tough-guys license to instigate confrontations and then shoot people when they get in over their head. It's a terribly lovely law that needs to go ASAP, and hopefully this case is the catalyst

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CainFortea posted:

You mean the dead child who assaulted someone?

Why did he assault him?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

whatis posted:

Guilty, or Not-Guilty, the biggest issue here is the law itself, not this one case in particular.

SYG gives wannabe tough-guys license to instigate confrontations and then shoot people when they get in over their head. It's a terribly lovely law that needs to go ASAP, and hopefully this case is the catalyst

SYG had literally nothing to do with this case.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

fursmbrero posted:

Remind me again, who had the gun and who had the pack of skittles?

Remind me who slammed someones head into the ground.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'd forgotten that every fist fight is automatically to the death. Trayvon "Incredible Hulk" Martin would have been forced to beat a grown man to death with his bare hands to appease Odin or something. As a grown, reasonably built man in his late 20s, Zimmerman was clearly as defenceless as a crippled kitten. It's not like he could have taken a bit of an rear end-whupping like a man and not murdered a kid.

Dude didn't need to take an rear end beating, but he also didn't need to loving shoot a kid to death. You can drat well bet I'm going off emotion and not logic on this case, but that 911 call where Martin is screaming out for help is about like watching that video where the kids stab a homeless man to death with a screwdriver. It's chilling and terrible and you don't want Zimmerman to get off scott free.

gobbles
Oct 15, 2005

ClemenSalad posted:

SYG had literally nothing to do with this case.

Were you even following the live twitter updates from inside the court???

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

No I'm suggesting that the news at least pretend to maybe sort of care about black-on-black murder.

Hey look at that. We agree on something. Now if folks like Jackson and Sharpton would do the same...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

whatis posted:

More states will pass SYG laws.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The Bible posted:

Why did he assault him?

Why does he have a record of fights at school?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

gobbles posted:

Were you even following the live twitter updates from inside the court???

I've been following this case since the trial started, this is a vanilla self defense case.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Fog Tripper posted:

IIRC the neighborhood had a rash of burglaries, and someone out of the ordinary is going to be noticeable.

This is absurd and I think goes back to the GATED COMMUNITY non-sense, it was a dense large townhouse neighborhood with many renters. I've lived in my house for 7 years and recently ran into a couple in a building meeting that have been my neighbors for the entire time that I have never had never seen before and I am not any sort of shut in.

Zimmerman had no authority and no reason to be able to judge if someone he hadn't seen before had legitimate reason to be in the neighborhood or not, if he was concerned he should have called the police, period. But considering that the kid had completely legitimate reasons for being in the neighborhood he should have just minded his own loving business and not called the police unless maybe he saw the kid crawling out of a broken window with a TV or something.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

The Worst Unicorn posted:

Was he supposed to control the weather or change his route after using esp to know which houses had been burgled? As for looking high, what does that mean even?

At the end of the day, even if he was being followed by Zimmerman, Martin had no place assaulting him, as it seems every witnesses testified is what happened in the end.

He had many other avenues, but sadly chose one that ended up being deadly for him.

It's sad that a 17 year old man died. It really is. However, based on all the evidence we've seen justice was served. Zimmerman's defense certainly passed the threshold for reasonable doubt.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
This is real cute. Did you make this yourself?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'd forgotten that every fist fight is automatically to the death. Trayvon "Incredible Hulk" Martin would have been forced to beat Zimmerman to death with his bare hands to appease Odin or something. As a grown, reasonably built man in his late 20s, Zimmerman was clearly as defenceless as a crippled kitten. It's not like he could have taken a bit of an rear end-whupping like a man and not murdered a kid.

Yes you're absolutely right, Martin was entitled to at least three more head smashes of Zimmerman before it leveled up from a bit of an rear end-whipping into a more serious "I might die" battle. Poor form.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
For anyone wondering if the shooter does NOT use deadly force and is NOT white:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57433184/fla-mom-gets-20-years-for-firing-warning-shots/

quote:

CBS News) JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Florida woman who fired warning shots against her allegedly abusive husband has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Marissa Alexander of Jacksonville had said the state's "Stand Your Ground" law should apply to her because she was defending herself against her allegedly abusive husband when she fired warning shots inside her home in August 2010. She told police it was to escape a brutal beating by her husband, against whom she had already taken out a protective order.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'd forgotten that every fist fight is automatically to the death. Trayvon "Incredible Hulk" Martin would have been forced to beat Zimmerman to death with his bare hands to appease Odin or something. As a grown, reasonably built man in his late 20s, Zimmerman was clearly as defenceless as a crippled kitten. It's not like he could have taken a bit of an rear end-whupping like a man and not murdered a kid.

This is just the top search for "fistfight ends in death".

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/05/04/fistfight-death.html

Here's a newsflash for you folks who've never actually been in danger a single moment of your lives, even just a bit of punching can kill someone you don't have to be the "Incredible Hulk" for it to happen!

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~

spunkshui posted:

Is this why Zimmerman started following him?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

spunkshui posted:

Well, I ask because if I had some guy stalking me down the street at night, I might feel a little bit threatened too. Was it ok for Zimmerman to act in self defense and not Martin? Why?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

whatis posted:

Do you even know how SYG laws work?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oldskool posted:

Yes you're absolutely right, Martin was entitled to at least three more head smashes of Zimmerman before it leveled up from a bit of an rear end-whipping into a more serious "I might die" battle. Poor form.

Zimmerman could have obeyed the police advice and not followed Martin. I'm hosed if I disobey a police order and refuse to give them my license at a traffic check, but if I refuse orders and shoot someone to death then apparently I'm a-okay.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

This is absurd and I think goes back to the GATED COMMUNITY non-sense, it was a dense large townhouse neighborhood with many renters. I've lived in my house for 7 years and recently ran into a couple in a building meeting that have been my neighbors for the entire time that I have never had never seen before and I am not any sort of shut in.

Zimmerman had no authority and no reason to be able to judge if someone he hadn't seen before had legitimate reason to be in the neighborhood or not, if he was concerned he should have called the police, period. But considering that the kid had completely legitimate reasons for being in the neighborhood he should have just mind his own loving business and not called the police unless maybe he saw the kid crawling out of a broken window with a TV or something.

Hes a neighborhood watchman, it was his business. And he called the police 3 times that evening.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Beyond a reasonable doubt is the key phrase here. It is also the core tenet of our justice system. In order to incarcerate someone for a crime, you must prove beyond ALL reasonable doubt that they did commit said crime. If you honestly believe that the prosecution did that in this case, then you should probably take your SJW blinders off and review the case without bias.

"But he was just a kid!"
He was 17 and larger than Zimmerman.

"He was unarmed!"
Repeatedly bashing someone's head into a concrete sidewalk constitutes lethal force.

"He had SKITTLES!"
Yeah, not at all relevant to anything.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

randyest posted:

Awesome! A real live psychic fortune teller with a two-way crystal ball, right here in this thread! Shut up about the justice that just got served and tell us the lottery numbers! :allears:
6 21 3 11 25 15 21

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

For anyone wondering if the shooter does NOT use deadly force and is NOT white:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57433184/fla-mom-gets-20-years-for-firing-warning-shots/

No but seriously why does Florida still exist

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Twee as gently caress posted:

At the end of the day, even if he was being followed by Zimmerman, Martin had no place assaulting him, as it seems every witnesses testified is what happened in the end.

Its funny how you use "witnesses" when there was one: Zimmerman.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

CainFortea posted:

This is just the top search for "fistfight ends in death".

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/05/04/fistfight-death.html

Here's a newsflash for you folks who've never actually been in danger a single moment of your lives, even just a bit of punching can kill someone you don't have to be the "Incredible Hulk" for it to happen!

I hear that not stalking people is a good way to avoid getting your rear end beat.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Zanziabar posted:

Amazingly, not every assault needs to end with someone being shot. This might be a hard concept to grasp for Ameri-goons.

Amazingly, nobody was suggesting that.

Well the result had he been unarmed may have been a dead hispanic, that would have been a better outcome for you?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Bible posted:

That's not necessarily a contradiction.

I doubt literally everyone who carries a gun feels this way.

Personally, I carry a gun because I can. Same reason I hook my keys on my belt loop instead of in a pocket and why my wallet is in a side pocket rather than the back. Same reason I wear an old tropical/desert cap rather than a baseball cap or ride a moped instead of a car. Because I can. Sorry humans aren't made in molds

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ClemenSalad posted:

Hes a neighborhood watchman, it was his business. And he called the police 3 times that evening.

Neighborhood Watch is all about calling the police and not getting involved. That's why it's neighborhood watch and not neighborhood police. This whole thing could easily be viewed as Martin standing his own ground since some weird guy was stalking him while he was lost.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Wow there are a lot of guilty white people posting in this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Blast of Confetti posted:

Zimmerman could have followed the police advice and not followed Martin. I'm hosed if I disobey a police order and refuse to give them my license at a traffic check, but if I refuse orders and shoot someone to death then apparently I'm a-okay.

Dispatcher suggestions are not orders and no one is under any obligation to follow them. Zimmerman did nothing illegal in calling the plice and following his general direction 20 seconds from his truck after he lost him.

Martin literally doubled back 4 minutes later (after he got home ) and confronted him.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Slugnoid posted:

Wow there are a lot of guilty white people posting in this thread.
Zimmerman's posting in the thread????

gobbles
Oct 15, 2005

Marijuana+Skittles Makes You Violent, regardless of race

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Nope, just the assaults where the assaulted feels like their life is in danger and they're in a position to do something about it.

Indeed, much like Zimmerman was in a position to do something about all these burglaries that had been taking place in his gated community. So his response is to go grab his gun, head out onto the streets and stop another burglary from happening again. The one problem with this bulldog attitude is the loss of an unarmed teenager's life who funnily enough, could have been acting in self-defense against a man with a gun.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

If I learned anything about anything from this whole case, it is that if you are a DA in Florida, it means you are loving terrible at your job, that's why you're a DA in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

gobbles posted:

Marijuana+Skittles Makes You Violent, regardless of race

Fuckin purple drankin monsters.