Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
I feel sick. Like everybody else I sort of knew this would happen, but I still can't believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

A lot of my family's pretty convinced their lives aren't valued in this country, and it's hard to say otherwise!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is this going to embolden other neighborhood watch assholes like Zimmerman and cause even more black kids to get shot?

They'll be emboldened, and also a lot of people are gonna get really smug about the justice system. It's already begun.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

A dude shot a dude. Neither of them were white. Why is this still a racial thing?

Maybe cause a lot of dogwhistle crap was used to make Trayvon look like a threat.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Wario In Real Life posted:

What a stupid way to look at this.

I don't know, it's kind of stupid to pretend young black men aren't demonized on the regular.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

People shouting racism using racism to say he looks "close enough"

You don't have to be white to be a racist, everyone busy pointing out how not-white Zimmerman is are just grasping at straws. Even I clung to that at first to try and make this whole thing a little less lovely.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If Trayvon Martin was white George Zimmerman wouldn't have thought there was anything suspicious about some kid in a hoodie wandering around a neighborhood looking lost.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves he had some loving skittles.

Jersey Mike posted:

Seriously? This is exactly the kind of bullshit I can't stand. Automatically assuming that crime is exclusive to notwhite people is loving bullshit. How do you know that? Oh wait, you don't.

Nobody's saying that. The point is that young black men are automatically under a lot more suspicion than young white men, especially to overzealous neighborhood watch types.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

Gee, you'll have to explain the real world to all the white co workers where I am that are on work release. Seems they missed the notice.

I wouldn't say so much racism as simply money. A higher proportion of people living in gang infested areas are black. Thus you're more likely to see more black people in prison due to that.

I guess if large amounts of black people just happen to be poorer and living in bad areas everything's fine.

e. To be less pithy, class and race are too interconnected to be separated like that.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Twee as gently caress posted:

Because he was apparently walking in the rain, looking like he was high and walking on the grass looking at houses that had been burgled in the recent past, according to Zimmerman.

That's why he said he called, do you have any proof that he in fact just called because he was a black teen walking and not because Martin was exhibiting suspicious behavior?

Was he supposed to control the weather or change his route after using esp to know which houses had been burgled? As for looking high, what does that mean even?

SocketWrench posted:

Do you have a breathing machine or something that keeps you alive to post bullshit like this?

It's not like I made up intersectionality. You keep on fighting the good fight though, maybe someday we'll all realize this really wasn't a race issue and have a good laugh.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

spunkshui posted:

Why does he have a record of fights at school?

Is this why Zimmerman started following him?

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

At the end of the day, even if he was being followed by Zimmerman, Martin had no place assaulting him, as it seems every witnesses testified is what happened in the end.

He had many other avenues, but sadly chose one that ended up being deadly for him.

It's sad that a 17 year old man died. It really is. However, based on all the evidence we've seen justice was served. Zimmerman's defense certainly passed the threshold for reasonable doubt.

There's no 'even if' though, it's a fact he followed him, after being told not to. The assault's debatable, but if a hostile stranger with a gun was following you'd do whatever to not get shot, wouldn't you? I don't think it was planned murder, but it's certainly not justifiable self-defense.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Just because you wish really hard for something to be a fact won't transform it into one:

The 9-1-1 tape was played over and over, and all the officer said was that following Trayvon was not necessary 'We don't need you to do that' which is a neutral statement and the guy made a point on the stand to stay that he did not tell Zimmerman not to follow Martin or to follow him, as they have to stay neutral when they talk to people over the phone or they could be held liable.

I didn't remember the exact words, my bad. I don't know why you'd think I was wishing for this to be true, though, if this was super justifiable it'd be a lot easier to hear about the verdict!

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Marxalot posted:

Neat, so that one time that I knocked the poo poo out of a guy who jumped me at school will be brought up against me if I ever get murdered.

Try committing domestic assault or molesting people, apparently that's unrelated to your character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

All the dogs in my neighbourhood are just going crazy barking and howling all of a sudden, some of the posts in this thread must somehow be audible across the Atlantic.

I couldn't stomach watching the trial for long and got a lot of information from equally emotionally invested family members so I'm gonna duck the gently caress outta here before I'm reduced to yelling 'NO U' at a computer screen.