Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Beardless Riker posted:

As a white person I would completely understand if the other races rose up and burned us off of this goddamn planet

I don't think there's any excuse for accepting that fate either. I didn't do poo poo to anyone of a different "race", I would adamantly refuse to suffer for the stupidity of others.

On Zimmerman, whether or not he did it in self-defense, he killed a kid. End of story, he done goofed. Protesting isn't going to accomplish much unfortunately. Double jeopardy is not allowed in this country as far as I'm aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Because if Trayvon Martin was white he would still be alive.

Seriously? This is exactly the kind of bullshit I can't stand. Automatically assuming that crime is exclusive to notwhite people is loving bullshit. How do you know that? Oh wait, you don't.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Sweeney Tom posted:

Pretty much this.

Everybody saying this isn't a race issue isn't focusing on the fact that Zimmerman stalked Trayvon because "he looked suspicious". Black teen in a hoodie eating Skittles walking around, and Zimmerman on a 911 call said that was "suspicious".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in what planet does that not constitute racial profiling?

Because not everybody's world involves every black person wearing a hoodie being a suspicious person. I've seen plenty of white assholes who look suspicious wandering around where I used to live. At one point does a statement of skin color become a mere observation and not a racial remark?

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

the runs formula posted:

It's also possible that he was shot because he was assaulting another person.

No way, that would be way too god drat logical for this paranoid rear end country.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsHv9MszlqI

It's Vancouver, not Miami. This is the original.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

The Entire Universe posted:

Beyond a reasonable doubt is indeed a thing and multiple doctors introduced a hell of a lot of reasonable doubt as to whether a bloody nose and a scraped dome constitutes having one's head being bashed into the sidewalk repeatedly, not to mention the lack of medical concern at the scene or any time after. Zimmerman had around 30 lbs on Martin at the time and was not as soft as he was in court. Skittles aren't relevant to anything outside of the point made in juxtaposing skittles with a keltec.

The thing is, even if the injuries were superficial, I doubt any individual getting his/her head slammed repeatedly into concrete is going to go "oh, it's cool. I'll be fine" like some kind of certified, college educated health expert. You'd be terrified that your life is going to end and you have to act on it.

I'm not advocating shooting 17 year old kids, it's just something to think about.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Marxalot posted:

When was the last time someone (or several people) followed you home to sell you girl scout cookies? I'll wait.

When I worked at a local Kroger, actually.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

The world is awful.

Let me fix that up for you before you sound like a generalizing ignoramus.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

enojy posted:

Where do you get off altering this guy's LiveJournal excerpt?

:suicide: I'm sorry, it's all this racial tension and bigotry. Please forgive me.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I guess I don't get it? I mean I'm aware places besides America have problems but I'm not sure how useful a statement "everywhere sucks so let's not talk about speficic places that suck" is. There's a reason this sort of thing keeps happening in America, and American media shaped this discourse, and the verdict concerns uniquely American laws.

It's difficult for me to imagine being on that jury because the laws where I live would simply send Zimmerman to jail for confronting someone while carrying a gun after being instructed not to. At that point, self-defense could not possibly apply for use of lethal force. That's a big part of why I can't understand people defending him, because I see the law that he clung to during his entire defense as patently unjust.

I was really just being pedantic because you insulted "MY AMERICA" :911: Bad joke on my part. This country does have some serious issues that need to be addressed.

My question is, why could Zimmerman not have simply drawn the gun and used it to get Treyvon away? I don't think somebody is going to keep trying to assault you if you're waving a pistol in their face and yelling at them. Seems like a far better solution that may have worked.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
http://www.naacp.org/page/s/doj-civ...m_content=share

Welp, here you go goons. Sign your outrage in Internet blood.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Carrying a "gently caress the police" banner, tagging buildings, and breaking windows is sure to make the jury reverse their decision. What morons.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
http://imgur.com/TE6SsT6

Well the flag did burn.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
I can't find anything else streaming that "protest" that has any kind of audio. Anyone have anything?

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Shroom King posted:

The NAACP is asking for the US Attorney General to file civil rights charges against Zimmerman. I am not a lawyer, but this does not appear to fall under Federal juristiction. Wouldn't a civil right's suit have to be done in state court?

You can't just petition the justice department to file charges against someone because you disagree with a court ruling, right?

Not that I'm aware of, no.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

CainFortea posted:

She went to her car to get her gun, and instead of leaving in the car that she got into she goes back and fires warning shots. Warning shots are not somehow magically able to not hit other people just due to the intent of the shooter.

So she committed an irrational act while terrified of her abusive husband and is now worthy of 20 years in jail, right? Yes, she could have killed someone else on accident, but the reality of the matter is she did not. The woman should definitely have made better decisions but now her children have no mother because Florida is a piece of poo poo state that is totally okay with someone actually getting shot versus no one dying at all.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
I still think Zimmerman should have received some sort of sentence and not an acquittal of all charges. He killed a kid. Regardless of whether or not Martin was the aggressor, he shot what amounts to a child who had an entire life ahead of him dead. I don't care if Martin had a history of being a shithead or not, I couldn't care less about his background at all, he didn't deserve death. I've looked at side-by-side images of Zimmerman and Martin and I just can't see the point where Zimmerman could not have fought off his supposed aggressor...he wasn't fat back then, looked to be in decent shape, and Martin was a relatively scrawny kid. It just doesn't seem right, even if Zimmerman was attacked, to simply let it go.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Twee as gently caress posted:

Well first of all, he was 17 and not 'a kid'.

Second, no he couldn't have fought off Martin because he was in terrible shape and did not know how to fight. The MMA trainer testified that Martin was overweight, couldn't throw a punch and was a 1 out of 10 in terms of how to handle himself in a fight. Martin had 3-4 inches on Zimmerman and was athletic while Zimmerman was short, obese and couldn't fight.

Are you saying they never lynched Hispanic guys in the Wild West?

17 year olds aren't adults for drat sure. I still stand by the fact that Zimmerman should not have gotten off of this case free and clear.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

And I will stand by the fact that 'Beyond Reasonable Doubt' applies to everyone and that Justice prevailed thanks to the jury listening to reason and giving him a fair and impartial trial rather than let emotions and 'Well, a kid died!' decide the fate of Zimmerman.

Justice didn't "prevail". Justice had a hangover from last night and vomited everywhere. An irresponsible gun owner shot a kid, and that's totally cool, right? He followed a kid he was told he shouldn't follow, and Martin is dead now because he had to play loving neighborhood hero when he simply could have driven away.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Real question: do you think it is possible for someone to legitimately kill a kid/minor/whatever in self defense?

I find it difficult to believe an unarmed minor is a huge threat unless he's just a massive person or formally trained in some sort of fighting style(although those individuals usually have discipline). Treyvon was not a large kid. Sure, he had 4 inches on Zimmerman. Height in many instances has little to do with it though. My main point is that Zimmerman got off shooting a minor to death when he instigated the conflict in the first place. There's no excuse for it. 9-1-1 dispatchers may not order you to stand down, but he sure as hell has made it clear he went after Martin for some reason or another. A kid is dead because Zimmerman just couldn't help himself apparently.

E:I'm aware a minor was supposedly smashing Zimmerman's head into the concrete. Yes, that's a problem. But Zimmerman playing the hero got him into that mess, it's his loving fault and it never should have happened.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Captain von Trapp posted:

This is not clear at all. The 911 operator advises him not to follow, he says ok, and they spend the rest of the call discussing where to meet up with the police when they arrive.

Then how did he run across Martin? If he stayed put, then there would have been no confrontation because he wouldn't have been anywhere near the kid. Martin didn't show back up and drag him out of his loving car.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

How do you know that? Because Martin managed to lose him yet went back in order to confront him while Zimmerman was staying put.

How do you know that he would not have returned to Zimmerman's car who was right next to where he confronted him anyway?

Zimmerman could have left, plain and simple. No excuses. I'm sorry, I don't think shooting a loving teenager is justifiable when it shouldn't have happened, period, end of story. I'm not pretending I know what happened that night, but I can definitely say there were options that GZ could have taken that involved leaving. Telling the police "I'm going to get somewhere safe" and driving somewhere else in that gated community makes perfect sense to me considering he thought Martin was a "suspicious person".

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Why doesn't it add up?

So you're not pretending to know what happened that night, but you do know that Zimmerman was in the wrong and should go to jail.

How is that reasonable and probably correct assumption when there is absolutely zero evidence to back it up?

Walking behind someone for a couple of minutes while talking to the cops on your phone is not harassment and in no way meets the legal definition of it.

I said about a page ago he deserves some form of sentencing for the death of Martin. Maybe not some big ten year sentence, but SOMETHING. He's inherently in the wrong for deciding to do exactly what he was told not to do which resulted in an unnecessary death. Our justice system doesn't work that way, I acknowledge that. It just all feels so wrong. The evidence? Try a dead body that shouldn't have been there.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

lfield posted:

No, but y'know, come on. You've gotta give people some slack with this one.

If you're following someone at night with a gun and calling them a "loving punk" and an "rear end in a top hat" who "always gets away," and then that person turns up dead with a bullet in them, people are going to ask questions. Lots of people aren't going to care about the particularities of Florida law and what is/is not technically illegal. Your stupidity created the situation in which someone else died, so gently caress you, regardless of what the law says.

There's nothing irrational about that response, it's just basic empathy for the dead kid.

Thank you.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Stupidity isn't illegal, assaulting someone is. That's why Trayvon Martin is dead and George Zimmerman is a free man.

Zimmerman might have been stupid by getting out of that car, but Martin did something much worse and much more stupid by ending up on top of him and hitting him. If he had ran home (and according to Jeantel he almost was home) and stayed there, he would still be alive today.

He made a series of bad choice and sadly ended up paying the price for those choices.

I made a series of bad choices over the course of a lot of my life, I guess someone should shoot the gently caress out of me for it.

You've basically just said he deserved to die because he made a dumb, immature decision.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

If those bad choices lead to you being on top of someone and pummeling them in the face as well as bashing their heads on concrete, well yeah they would have been justified to, in order to defend their lives.

Someone's child is loving dead because of an irresponsible "rent-a-cop" and that's acceptable? He took the law into his own hands when he had no reason for doing so.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

ClemenSalad posted:

How....you realize if Martin was alive and if his story fit the facts we do know, he'd be in jail for beating up zimmerman.

At least he'd loving be alive. How is this a defense?

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

If Martin had put Zimmerman into a coma or killed him, someone's child would have been dead to. He didn't take the law into his own hands, because it's legal to follow someone and it's legal to kill them in self-defense if they are assaulting you and you fear grave bodily injury or death.

Yeah, pretty much.

Zimmerman had every right to be walking in his neighborhood. So did Martin. Martin had no right to assault him because he was not happy about Zimmerman following him. And now he's dead because he decided that assault was better than running.

Zimmerman would not have had the opportunity to be in a coma or dead had HE NOT. FOLLOWED. MARTIN. How hard is that to get through your skull? And Zimmerman DID have the right to be walking in his neighborhood, but not under the pretense of following a suspicious individual. He wasn't out on a god drat leisurely night stroll that was interrupted by a kid punching him in the face.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Because if Martin did instigate the assault and Zimmerman was in legitimate fear of immenent GBH, shooting Martin would be justified (justified does not mean "to be celebrated" or "100% radical" btw). Minors don't get a free pass at committing assault last I checked.

I didn't say he'd get a free pass at it. I said he'd at least be alive, even if he was in jail. If Zimmerman hadn't killed him and Martin was on trial, at least Martin would not be dead, which is far preferable to a dead kid. He'd get out of jail in the future and hopefully would have learned a little something.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

If Zimmerman hadn't killed him, realistically Martin would go to jail because he's a black kid, but if you want to be an optimist he wouldn't be convicted because the evidence that he started the fight arguably doesn't measure up to beyond a reasonable doubt.

Again, it doesn't loving matter if Martin would have gone to jail. He. Would. Be. Alive. That's my point. He wouldn't have been killed and would have eventually gotten out of jail to live his life. That's what I've been pointing out.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

I know but I'm actually adding on to what you're saying because he honestly wouldn't even have gone to jail because arguably there's plenty of reasonable doubt both ways as to who started the fight.

Oh, my apologies. Misunderstood what you said.

Apparently the posters in this thread are more than happy to paint Zimmerman as a victim even though he put himself in a position to potentially be a victim. The last thing most reasonable individuals would do is follow a person around they think is suspicious or dangerous. Life isn't a god drat movie. But of course with a death cannon on your hip you're king of the world and nobody is threatening at that point.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Zimmerman, who was forced to kill in self-defense because he was assaulted for doing something legal, is not the victim in that scenario?

Legal? Maybe. Necessary? Not a god drat chance.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Captain von Trapp posted:

"...put himself in a position to potentially be a victim..." The mind boggles. :psyduck:

Not sure how it's mind-boggling to think that someone who follows an individual they regard as suspicious or potentially dangerous after making a phone call to the police could end up a statistic. I didn't say he deserved what may have happened to him, but he put himself in a situation that could have easily been avoided. If indeed that's how it even happened.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

So when a much larger attacker was on him, bashing his head in concrete and pummeling him in the face, he should have just take the beating and hope someone stopped martin?

I still stand by the fact the Zimmerman didn't have to follow the kid. Why is that hard to understand? There was no reason for him to play the hero.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

This is what Rachel Jeantel claimed, that Martin told her that he made it all the way to his house.

Was she not proven to be a terribly unreliable "witness" though?

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
The medical examiner stated Zimmerman had no eyesight issues, no trouble standing, no problems understanding her, nothing that would indicate his injuries were that serious.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That website's front page article is a video claiming to be of race riots in Miami when it's actually of the 2011 Stanley Cup riot in Vancouver.

Sounds totally credible and I shall get my news from this site from now on.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/55892945838/president-obama-makes-thoughtful-statement-on-trayvon

Racism totally isn't a problem in America.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

ShadowStalker posted:

Every race hates the other races, it's not limited to one specific race

I couldn't possibly imagine where that hatred could come from. I'm a white male and I'm holy poo poo embarrassed that anyone could treat people like complete garbage simply for having different skin pigmentation. Not to mention every Tweet on that Tumblr post was made by some self-righteous, white prick who feels entitled to throw around racial slurs and get butthurt that Obama said something about skin color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

A War Criminal posted:

Yes, the evidence does absolutely lead one to believe that Martin thought of himself as a thug.

And to answer your question.... both of them. Clearly Martin DID think that way because he DID attack Zimmerman. And clearly Zimmerman thought of himself as some authority figure protecting his neighborhood. Both were dumb, and Martin died because he himself escalated the situation.

And we don't actually know any of this, so quit stating it as fact. Zimmerman, the man who shot a 17 year old kid, is the only one left to tell a story and there's not enough evidence to say he's wrong, but there's certainly not enough loving evidence to say who started it.