Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Bible
May 8, 2010

Disappointed, but not surprised. I guess the South really is going to rise again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I think GZ would be wise to either leave the country permanently, or to change his appearance drastically along with his name. There are going to be groups trying to target him. I do think from a legal standpoint, the verdict was what I expected, but he is the only one who truly knows what went down that night.

This is true of a lot of murder cases.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

donJonSwan posted:

This was a young black dude who was killed because he was a young black dude.

And if there is any doubt, there is a 911 call where Zimmerman all but says exactly this.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

If you attack me while I am carrying yes I will loving shoot you. Don't assault people if you don't want to get shot.

Or you know, walk down your street while being black. That'll get you shot too.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

If you attack me while I am carrying yes I will loving shoot you.

Gun nuts are truly terrifying people. Any slight against them is deserving of death in their eyes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yes, clearly me fearing for my life while being attacked by someone of unknown capabilites is a "slight"

Hey, I wouldn't like it either, but I still don't carry a tool of death on my person habitually. I'm just not that paranoid or afraid of the world.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ClemenSalad posted:

No there isn't. He mentioned literally nothing about race until the dispatcher asked him.

Also, Zimmerman has made 46 calls to the police since 2004. Only 6 of them involved black people.

Fair enough, I was mistaken.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Yea, because waiting until someone beats you NEARLY to death before shooting them makes more sense...

Like I said, I would be scared too, but I'm just not so terrified of the world and other people that I make it a point to always be armed and ready to kill or be killed. I just don't get attacked all that often.

I wonder if it's because I don't go out expecting (hoping) it to happen?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I hope you never find yourself in a situation where you wish you had a gun.

Been doing alright so far.

It helps to live in a country where private firearm ownership is illegal. Strangely, even the outlaws very, very rarely have guns. Weird.

Of course, I didn't always live here. Grew up in Texas, where the majority of people carry guns. Still never needed one.

I suspect it has a lot to do with me not walking around expecting to be in a situation where I'll need to use one. I could just get unlucky one of these days, but oh well, I'm happy enough not to be so scared all the time that I carry one everywhere.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CainFortea posted:

That's a whole lot of contradiction in one single post. You're saying that folks who carry guns around are terrified of everyone around them, yet later claim that those same people walk around hoping to get attacked so they can shoot someone?

That's not necessarily a contradiction.

I doubt literally everyone who carries a gun feels this way.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Devour posted:

For the love of god please don't turn this into a gun control thread.

Ok, fine, sorry for the derail everyone.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CainFortea posted:

You mean the dead child who assaulted someone?

Why did he assault him?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

spunkshui posted:

Why does he have a record of fights at school?

Well, I ask because if I had some guy stalking me down the street at night, I might feel a little bit threatened too. Was it ok for Zimmerman to act in self defense and not Martin? Why?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Marxalot posted:

I hear that not stalking people is a good way to avoid getting your rear end beat.

I'd like to hear more about this. He was stalking Martin. I bet a lot of gun carrying people would find that reason enough to shoot. It most certainly is a dangerous situation. So why was Zimmerman justified in shooting Martin in self defense, but Martin not justified in defending himself from an unknown stalker?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

spunkshui posted:

Because zimmer was getting his loving head beat in on the ground?

That kills people dumb gently caress.

Well, yeah, but that was happening because he was reacting to an unknown stalker. It was self defense, you see, and he got shot for it. Because that kills people dumb gently caress.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bondage posted:

I hear that not attacking people is a good way to avoid getting shot.

I can play that game too.

But he may have simply been attacking to defend himself against an unknown stalker. Why is this so hard to grasp?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

spunkshui posted:

Following people is not assault.

Headbashing is.

Yeah, I do get that, but again, being stalked is a dangerous situation to be in, and I think there is some justification in reacting to it.

Take for instance, a case where an armed guy is stalking an unarmed teenage kid against the advice of the police through the neighborhood for no good reason. That kid has no idea what the guy following him is carrying or thinking. Reacting might be the only way to save his life. Then again, even that may not be enough.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ClemenSalad posted:

Following someone's general direction (remember martin never saw him on foot, they had lost eachother at this point) 20 seconds from your car to report a location to the police has not been and never will be assault. Also martin came back after getting home a few minutes later to confront him, he obviously wasn't afraid.

If it worked out just like this and Martin came back looking for him, ok, I get self-defense argument. Are we sure that's how it went down? Because that wasn't the story Zimmerman was telling when this whole thing began.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sucrose posted:

Are you legally entitled to beat the poo poo out of someone for following you around?

I don't know, if they're armed and stalking me for no reason, I kinda hope so.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Well, hmm. If I was getting "stalked" by someone and I went home, what I would be doing is calling the police and then staying the gently caress inside. Probably with my pistol on my desk just in case. Then i'd make some post about it on the internet and wait for the cops.

What I would not be doing is going home, then leaving to go find the stalker dude and confront him about it. How can you claim that Martin feared for his life when he went to go find the dude who he was supposedly afraid of?

Yeah, I replied to that scenario earlier. If that's exactly how it went down, then I get the self-defense argument. If Martin came back looking for him, that is a clear and definite threat. Zimmerman should have listened to the police and stay put, but that still wouldn't justify Martin's attack.

How sure are we that's how it went down?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

gfanikf posted:

Would it be tactically smart though?

I guess it would depend on the situation, and even then, I'm not really trained to make that sort of assessment under the duress of the circumstances. Probably one of those 20/20 hindsight things.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ClemenSalad posted:

Martin told Jeantel on the phone that he made it home but that didn't want to run. So he went back to the T intersection. Theres no evidence Zimmerman ever left that intersection and he was talking to cops for much of the time giving them directions to where he was. We don't know who started the physical altercation (Martin did not have a scratch on him outside the gunshot) but a lot of people kept saying that zimmerman chased him down or purued him when that literally didn't happen. The initial contact was over and Martin reinitiated it.

Hmm. Then it sounds like he went back looking for Zimmerman. We can't know exactly what he intended to do, but neither could Zimmerman, I suppose. Tough call, glad I wasn't on the jury.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

There's still going to be a civil trial I assume?

Zimmerman called 911 and they told him not to pursue and he ignored that, so in my mind he is responsible to a degree for Martin's death. Maybe he'll be poor for the rest of his life at least.

There really is no silver lining here.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If he truly is afraid for his life that'd be pretty cool. Make him experience what Trayvon felt that night until the day he dies.

I don't know, if Martin really did get home, then go back out looking for him, it really does look like he may have been looking for a fight. No doubt Zimmerman should have listened to the police and stayed put, but he still had a right to defend himself. Zimmerman couldn't have known if he was unarmed at that point.

Not that I know it really happened that way, but we can only work with the evidence we have.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doctor Factical posted:

I've seen it a few times in this thread and I swear I heard it on TV, but honestly I'll admit I have no factual basis other than hearsay on this one. If you're right and Trayvon never went home, that makes my point about him wishing to confront Zimmerman even more true; he was being followed by some random guy and probably feared for his life much the same way Zimmerman did when he was being attacked. Like I said, lovely situation, but not murder. Manslaughter should definitely have been the charge.

Well, then which is it? If he doubled back, this whole thing changes. If he didn't, then he was likely a scared kid being stalked by a stranger at night and was defending himself against an unknown and armed threat.

If Zimmerman shooting him was self defense, so was Martin attacking a strange man stalking him in the shadows. And if it is the case Martin never got home, Zimmerman is clearly the aggressor. Martin probably would have attacked because he felt he was in danger.

Being stalked is loving scary, you seriously don't know if you're about to die. You really can't blame someone for fighting back.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

al-azad posted:

and audio evidence was thrown out.

Why did this happen? With so little evidence you'd think this would be quite helpful.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Caufman posted:

Well let's take a look at what the facts tell us!

(source)

Oh, I don't know, Owl. Looks ambiguous to me. Better render a not guilty.

edit: Wait wait wait, hold up, I need to adjust that image a little, actually.

Yikes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Have you ever tried to play basketball against an NBA team? You are likely to be fiercely oppressed by a bunch of black men.

This alone has made my life as a white male tragically unbearable.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

JosephStalin posted:

Here, here's one that's a little less innocent, taken from Trayvon's cell phone after his death:

Dear God, he might have shot Zimmerman with a picture of a gun.

You know, if having a picture of a gun makes him less innocent, what does actually having a gun make Zimmerman?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Seoinin posted:

Which even the police couldn't find a reason to detain him over.

Good thing vigilantism is now allowed, in Florida, at least. But only as long as you kill someone.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I said come in! posted:

What do they specifically want to have happen? Whatever it is would probably require a change to the constitution.

They're upset, and this is the only voice they have to even hope to change anything. Their representatives don't listen to them, the media doesn't listen to them and cases like this go against them far more often that not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

DeadmansReach posted:

I just wanna take a moment to say that after the veritable shitshow of ignorant and awful posts in this thread, I was relieved to see you show up Warszawa. Thank you for being A Good Poster.

Now I'm going back to wracking my brain over what I, as a white guy with a black spouse, will do or say to my child to prevent this kind of thing from happening to them. I always knew the world was like this, but it was never quite real until I tried to empathize with the Martin family. I have no idea what the gently caress to do.

Don't move to Florida is a good start.