Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

A dude shot a dude. Neither of them were white. Why is this still a racial thing?

There's a thing called "passing as White." And the guy is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

clownskull posted:

This is the same thing I was trying to say in the OP. Many people of African descent consider him Hispanic rather than white. I even asked my coworker why he wasn't considered white based on his name. He said it was because of his skin color.

It doesn't matter. In the end it really boils down to Black vs. "A lighter shade than Black."

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Twee as gently caress posted:

Yeah I've just learned that anyone who isn't black is therefore white or something.

Why do people absolutely feel the need to make this a racial issue? That's not why that happened and it's only making things worse by artificially loading it with even more emotions than this case needed.

Because people don't feel suspicious around White kids, but they do around Black kids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cCQU0jt4cs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLXCCcqnY-I

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Trustfund. posted:

I wonder if everyone will be as compassionate when GZ, an innocent man, gets gunned down by someone of another race.

Maybe the guy can use the SYG defense?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Fog Tripper posted:

IIRC the neighborhood had a rash of burglaries, and someone out of the ordinary is going to be noticeable.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Twee as gently caress posted:

Look, here's how it is:

In America, it is 100% your right to follow someone in the street. It's even your right to walk up to them and tell them that you think they are horrible pieces of poo poo, that their mothers are whores and even use racial slurs.

Actually that person would be breaking a few laws, namely:

-Public disturbance
-Menacing
-Using foul language in public
-Criminal threatening
-Stalking
etc. etc.

Basically, you're totally wrong.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Cream_Filling posted:

He might as well have gone whole hog and said his last words were "I deserve this" or maybe "you dirty rat copper."

Police did report he had Xs over both eyes and was found clutching daisies in his chest.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
The "Zimmerman isn't White" argument is total bullshit. It's been proven in tests that everyone discriminates against Black people. Even other Black people.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

Gotcha. Is there any undeniable evidence that Zimmerman acted the way he did based on a racist worldview? I have read most of thread but the best "evidence" I see is a whole lotta assumptions but nothing concrete. That would make discussion a lot easier I think, if we had some solid common ground. I'm kinda curious, this case received practically zero media attention here in Euroland.

Because walking isn't indicative of any crime being committed? Imagine if he was a police officer. What probable cause would he have had to stop Martin other than "he looks suspicious?" Well, why does he look suspicious? What about him? Try answering that question without racially profiling.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Well at least his crushed dreams of being a hero didn't cause anyone's death. Oh wait...

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I fully expect him to be a Fox News contributor within a year.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Fool and the World posted:

Im actually kind of glad that OJ got off. Does that make us square? Even steven? Do I get my "not racist" card back? God man, you want people to be racist SO HARD it loving hurts

Do you believe racism is a problem in America today?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Thats literally not what this is about. Its about people calling me a racist because I'm glad that "beyond a reasonable doubt" carried the day in a emotionally charged case. Kind of like the OJ case. Kind of like the Casey Anthony case.

No, it's because you're saying "it wasn't about race," when it totally was.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

The verdict wasn't about race. Is was about evidence. This entire trial is not about race. Its about whether some man is criminally responsible for shooting a kid. What is so hard to understand about this?

Agreed. But the outrage is also because someone is dead because of race.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Sure. George Zimmerman is probably a racist piece of poo poo. But that doesn't make him a CRIMINALLY racist piece of poo poo, and everyone crying about "He got off, the justice system is broken" just needs to get bent already

Yes but he did kill someone, right? I mean, we can agree on that, right? So, he kills someone, and our only choice is to take him at his word that it was in self-defense. Therefore, he receives no punishment. Doesn't that speak to a broken criminal justice system when that is allowed? Doesn't that mean that, if I'm in Florida and I want to kill someone, I can just kill them and say "Oh, we got into a fight and it was self-defense?"

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

So my first response should be one of fear or aggression when I see a black person I don't know? Normally, any response of me is natural (and clearly not prone to racial profiling) and you try to make me feel uncomfortable about it. Lovely.

No, but he's saying that it's been proven that institutional racism exists. Maybe you don't feel like it's a factor with you, but by and large it exists.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

ArbitraryC posted:

Let's say I'm in a dark ally in florida with no witnesses and one other person. If I try to mug/rape them and they resist and manage to start overpowering me in the process, if I shoot them can I later claim self defense? I know you can't use self defense as a defense while committing a crime, but if there are no witnesses and I have injuries to support the idea someone was attacking and potentially overpowering me, would a prosecutor be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the person didn't just randomly jump me?

[ ] Do you live in Florida?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Alternate situation: Zimmerman approaches Martin. Martin, carrying mace, decides to mace Zimmerman. Zimmerman while blinded and fearing for his life, shoots Martin. Justified or no?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
People need to watch The Wire, basically.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Basically what I've learned from this is that anytime anyone tries to start poo poo with me, even if I see that I outweigh them or that I know I could totally kick their rear end, I should just run away or something while screaming for help. Because if I try to defend myself, and I end up winning, they can just shoot me in the face and claim self-defense. Remind me to somehow make sure I never get into that situation!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

ClemenSalad posted:

Exactly, and its not zimmerman's fault either.

It is for him using the system to his benefit. Do you think they were thankful those "bling bling grill" pictures of Martin got released?

Cream_Filling posted:

Uh yeah getting into fights and stuff will send you to jail if the other guy can get the cops to give a poo poo enough to actually charge you. A grown up is supposed to solve problems with his words, not his fists (unless he is a cop).

There's certain situations where you just can't do that and you have to stand up for yourself.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Bondage posted:

This is actually true, unless you're in a state with Stand Your Ground type laws. If a 70 year old man or a 90lb petite woman attacks you and you proceed to ground-and-pound them, the judge will laugh at you if you try to argue self-defense. Self defense is not carte blanche to beat someone senseless, hence disparity of force concepts and whatnot.

So what happens when a 200 lb grown man with a pistol takes on a 158 lb unnarmed 17 year old?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Fog Tripper posted:

I must have missed the breaking news story about Zimmerman admitting to murder.

I think most people define murder as "willfully taking another human life."

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Fog Tripper posted:

I think most people are idiots who barely comprehend how to breathe.

I mean.. you don't? I don't wanna be all "Webster's Dictionary defines murder as..." but really?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm just surprised at how many closest racists there are on Reddit. God... every post on this topic that disagrees with the narrative of "Zimmerman was defending himself from a violent thug drug dealer" in the slightest is downvoted into oblivion.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

AuMaestro posted:

I wonder what kind of account you have that lets you see the beliefs of people who downvote you. Or maybe you're one of those people who believe that it is impossible to believe in that narrative without being racist.

See this thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/cringepics/comments/1ik2yf/facebook_has_been_a_delight_lately/

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Kungfootek posted:

So you're saying anyone that agree's with the findings of the court is racist?

No, I'm saying that anyone who says "Zimmerman was assaulted by an angry drug dealing thug!" probably has preconceived notions about Black youths.

People also say stuff like "WELL if I was getting my head bashed repeatedly into concrete..." like Zimmerman was found barely alive, with blood everywhere, concussed with internal hemorrhaging or something. All we know is he hit his head on the ground, enough to cause a scrape, but no hospital visit, no MRI, no doctor's office. Nothing. Was it pushed by Martin? All we have is the word of the man trying to not get a murder charge.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I think I've said before in this thread (which moves so fast) that the jury finding was correct based on the evidence. There is reasonable doubt, yes. However, it still reeks of racial profiling that ended the life of a teenager, and that's just unfortunate and unjust.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
This is something that I just thought of today.

I was listening to a news report that was talking about Florida's Stand Your Ground law.

It states:

quote:

A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

If Martin thought he was about to be a victim of a crime because he was being pursued by another person in the middle of the night, wasn't he allowed under Florida law to defend himself with deadly force if necessary? So aren't all these arguments about how much Zimmerman was injured moot because Martin was legally allowed within the law to apply such force?

I read a lot of arguments saying, "WELL Martin shoulda just RUN away instead he bashed George's head against the concrete!" but.. given the law, wasn't he allowed to do that?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

InterceptorV8 posted:

Attacked means what again?

Jeantel herself said Martin threw the first punch. That means he was the attacker.

Maybe that's true, but if he was being pursued by someone and felt threatened, does the SYG law give him the right to "throw the first punch" to defend himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I came and saw there were three pages, and it's just everyone arguing with one guy. Sheesh.

You guys realize that A War Criminal is not going to change his stance no matter how much you yell at him about it, right?