Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

So an acquaintance invited me to go along for a hash run, which she described as drinking, running, and a lot of dirty songs. Basically a frat/rugby club for people out of college, with most people stuck at a 15 year old's sense of maturity, good judgement, and humor.

So I am thinking too good to be true?

Have any goons had any experience running with hashes, and can give any advice to a new comer? Do people have any good stories that epitomize their experience as being part of a hash (as to either sell it or dissuade someone from going)?

The hashing websites that I have looked at are unique in how awesome they clearly epitomize mid 90s web design, also fairly not-useful. But found this NY times article on the hash club there, which makes it almost seem socially acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Basically a frat/rugby club for people out of college, with most people stuck at a 15 year old's sense of maturity, good judgement, and humor.

This is fairly spot on.

The hashes I've seen are generally a bunch of people who use the hash as a way to find a social outlet. They claim to be a drinking / running club but it's mostly about drinking, dirty songs, and in-jokes, so as long as you can half run half walk two to three miles you should be ok. I have found that hashers are much more likely to generate drama than normal. You're also expected to learn a lot of in-jokes and dirty songs, which you might find weird. Otherwise, it's a generally fun group and you won't lose anything besides liver functionality by checking it out. The hash is decentralized so each group is fairly different (there might even be a few hash groups in your area that run different days) so the only way to see if you like it is to drop by and find out!

The first time you go, I'd recommend you go with your friend to introduce you. Also as a 'hash virgin' expect to get singled out the first time, mostly being required to drink a lot. So whatever you do, don't drive to your first hash.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

I'm requesting this moved to YLLS. Looks like a fun topic and you'd probably get more interest there.
Drinking and running? Hells yes!

saigon_15
Jan 6, 2006

Hydration is fundamental to running. Check out the Running Mega Thread maybe!

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

I've been invited to one as well. They have a penchant for costumed runs, so half the fun is the theme and costumes. Maybe I'll join them one of these days.

It's a drinking club with a running problem.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
When all is said and done.

My husband and a bunch of his friends have done a couple of hash runs here on Guam, including the Red Dress Run (which is usually easier than most and is urban because more people turn up since it's a charity/benefit thing. Everyone has to wear a red dress though and some of the guys go all out with wigs, fake boobs, makeup and heels). The other runs start by meeting at a central location (here its the court house) to get directions to where it starts and then they follow markers that the hare leaves. Most are through jungle, across waterfalls and across mountains and usually a person or two ends up in the hospital, some have had to be med-evac'd because of broken legs and some have gotten so lost that search teams get sent out. But again, they go through jungle here and the terrain can get crazy especially if it rains. I hear a lot of them in the states don't get as intense.

Anyways, after the run they have "Religion" (I don't know if that's what they call it everywhere or just here) where everyone sits around a fire and drinks a ton of beer. One of the "initiation" things for new people here is you have to stand up and tell people your name, sing a dirty song, tell a dirty joke or show a body part (my husband mooned people, but said most of the girls flashed boobs, and some guys showed their junk. Again, I don't know if that's a Guam thing. The majority is young military and they seem pretty.. free especially once theyre drunk). I think their cover is $5-10 depending on the run and unlimited beer at the end. These are also organized by a HHH group here.

Anywho, give it a shot. You may love it. People here either hate it and say gently caress that or get addicted and show up every weekend.

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

I've been hashing for four years. It is no-poo poo the most fun I've ever had in my life. If you've been invited, but are dragging your feet about whether to go, gently caress you. Go do it, you rear end in a top hat. In the meantime, feel free to ask me anything.

Kennels (local clubs) vary wildly in their rules, expectations, involvement, and culture. Most kennels can be broadly described by how they balance the athletic side of hashing with the party side. My home kennel is C2H5OH (Columbus, OH), so I'll talk about that.

The Columbus "Cowtown with a Hard-on" Hash House Harriers and Harriettes, OHio, or Cowtown for short, is very slow, very loud, and very drunk. In comparison to pretty much every other city I've visited, Cowtown runs less and stops for booze more often. When we travel, we try to be the first ones naked and the last ones to go to bed. We also sing songs more often, though the combination of laziness and alcohol means our songs aren't always the best or most creative.

I've also been to lots of other places to hash, and I've got a ton of stories about hashing. Anyone who has specific questions about their local kennel, I'll either share my experience or find out from someone else who has been there.

pandariot
Feb 19, 2012

HisFlyingFingers posted:

I've also been to lots of other places to hash, and I've got a ton of stories about hashing. Anyone who has specific questions about their local kennel, I'll either share my experience or find out from someone else who has been there.

Do you need to be invited in order to join? Can you just go along for a run once or twice or is a regular commitment expected? Any stories from SoCal?

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

pandariot posted:

Do you need to be invited in order to join? Can you just go along for a run once or twice or is a regular commitment expected? Any stories from SoCal?

No invitation necessary, just show up. No commitment, either; besides someone possibly keeping track of how many hashes you've attended (for purposes of commemorating special events), no one cares how often you show up.

I haven't made it that far west, no. From what I understand, Southern California (and San Diego in particular) has a ton of kennels, of all different styles, so you should be able to find something you like. I'd check hash.org, which is kind of a centralized site for all the SoCal hashes.

Important Rules for New Hashers
Hashing has very few rules, but it's always good to have an idea of what's in store for your first trail.

1. Don't, under any circumstances, ever ever ever, wear new/clean shoes. The penalty for breaking this rule varies, but is usually gross and unpleasant.
2. If you're going with someone you know who has hashed before, find out their hash name and use it. Calling them by their real name (a.k.a. "nerd name" or "mommy-given name") will usually get you both in trouble.
3. Items that you should bring to every hash include: a flashlight, a "dry bag" or ziploc bag to store anything you don't want to get wet, and either long pants or tall socks to protect your legs from "shiggy" (sharp, poisonous or otherwise irritating obstacles).

enraged_camel
Jul 4, 2007
Can't make ends meet in the US? Move to Australia! If you need to ask about things such as "economic feasibility" and "logistics" you're just lazy and entitled and better looking than I am

Wookie Bouquet posted:

So an acquaintance invited me to go along for a hash run, which she described as drinking, running, and a lot of dirty songs. Basically a frat/rugby club for people out of college, with most people stuck at a 15 year old's sense of maturity, good judgement, and humor.

I've known about twenty different hashers from across the country, and this assessment is definitely correct and fits all of them.

As for hashing in general, my roommate used to be a hasher, until one day she went "trail-hashing," fell pretty badly and broke her arm. Only then did it occur to her that running while drunk is perhaps a loving terrible idea. I also know hashers in a couple of other "kennels" across the country who got arrested for public intoxication. In most places PI is just a misdemeanor, but one of them is from Indiana and he also got fined $1,000 on top of the embarrassment. I'm told this was actually the fault of the hash organizer for picking a bad location, but the risk will still be there in a lot of states. Check your local laws. (And yeah, drinking is technically not required at hash events, but if you go that route you will feel awkward as poo poo among a bunch of drunk people, a lot of whom are alcoholics.)

One thing I've noticed (and you should watch out for) is that hashers are very, very good at selling the idea of hashing. They have lots of "cool" stories and love talking about the funny nicknames they give each other. And they can be notoriously pushy. As far as I can tell it's some kind of cult mentality, even though the actual thing is just a (large) bunch of groups around the world that are loosely affiliated with each other. Anyway, like I said I've known quite a few hashers and at pretty much every social gathering they would try to recruit someone.

Based on the stories I hear from my ex-hasher roommate, there is a crazy amount of drama in most kennels. A lot of hashers are incredibly promiscuous, which is fine, but when you combine promiscuity with (like you say) a 15 year old's maturity and then alcohol on top of that, you end up with chaos. I'm told that this drama is what ends up pushing a lot of hashers to quit. My roommate explained it thusly: "imagine getting drunk with ten people and three of them are your exes and you've had one-nighters with another two."

enraged_camel fucked around with this message at Jul 17, 2013 around 20:33

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

There are a lot of hashers in the UK as well, my old housemate runs with one group. Going on what's been posted in this thread I think UK hashers are a little more reserved than the US ones () - they don't seem to get as drunk, a typical hash drinking schedule is a half-pint at the half-way stop, and then a couple of pints afterwards. I can't see them getting drunk enough to make running actually unsafe, or to be arrested for it. They're also a bit older, I think most of the ones I met were in their 30s/40s/50s, which probably cuts down on the drama; I know when my housemate visited NYC and went for a run with a couple of their hash groups he was surprised by how young most of them were.
They still have the ridiculously juvenile sense of humour and the silly hash names though. What I also thought was really nice was when my housemate went on business trips to the US and Europe, he was generally able to find the local hash's info on the internet and just turn up to one of their runs and be welcomed with open arms (and beer).

HisFlyingFingers posted:

Important Rules for New Hashers
Hashing has very few rules, but it's always good to have an idea of what's in store for your first trail.

1. Don't, under any circumstances, ever ever ever, wear new/clean shoes. The penalty for breaking this rule varies, but is usually gross and unpleasant.
In the UK I believe the penalty for this is to drink a beer out of your new trainers.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Foot bagging, Drinking, and running are my three favorite things in that order. Why have I not heard of this. Is there a website that lists groups, or does any one know of anything for the Utah County area?

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

enraged_camel posted:

negative stuff

There are a ton of kennels around the world, so I'm sure there are places where this is all true. It hasn't been my experience, though. For every hasher who is a lovely drunk, unnecessarily aggressive, or sleeps with everyone, there are twenty who are pretty chill. Maybe it's because I've mainly hashed in the Midwest, but even when I travel elsewhere I don't see much of this.

radioaktivitat posted:

Going on what's been posted in this thread I think UK hashers are a little more reserved than the US ones ()

This is probably because hashing is originally British, and like everything we import, Americans made it bigger and dumber.

DangerDongs posted:

Foot bagging, Drinking, and running are my three favorite things in that order. Why have I not heard of this. Is there a website that lists groups, or does any one know of anything for the Utah County area?

There are three hashes in the Salt Lake area; not sure how close that is to you. The Saturday one is probably a good place to start. http://www.meetup.com/Hash-House-Harriers-in-SLUT/

If you meet Going in Dry or Hurl and Oates, tell them Schweddy Marbles said hello.

enraged_camel
Jul 4, 2007
Can't make ends meet in the US? Move to Australia! If you need to ask about things such as "economic feasibility" and "logistics" you're just lazy and entitled and better looking than I am

HisFlyingFingers posted:

There are a ton of kennels around the world, so I'm sure there are places where this is all true. It hasn't been my experience, though. For every hasher who is a lovely drunk, unnecessarily aggressive, or sleeps with everyone, there are twenty who are pretty chill. Maybe it's because I've mainly hashed in the Midwest, but even when I travel elsewhere I don't see much of this.

Yeah, that's why I stressed that hashing as a club is worldwide. Obviously my experience is limited to the twenty-or-so hashers I know. I simply meant my post as a "here are some risks/negatives to consider."

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

HisFlyingFingers posted:

There are three hashes in the Salt Lake area; not sure how close that is to you. The Saturday one is probably a good place to start. http://www.meetup.com/Hash-House-Harriers-in-SLUT/

If you meet Going in Dry or Hurl and Oates, tell them Schweddy Marbles said hello.

It is about an hour a way, but this seriously sounds like a blast, and I only drink on friday and saturday, but it would be nice to switch my saturday to incorporate something more healthy.

So from what I understand is that I can't wear shorts?... and do I bring beer or just chip in?

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, that's why I stressed that hashing as a club is worldwide. Obviously my experience is limited to the twenty-or-so hashers I know. I simply meant my post as a "here are some risks/negatives to consider."

Fair enough. I'm sure there are shithead kennels out there; I just haven't ever run into/with them.

DangerDongs posted:

It is about an hour a way, but this seriously sounds like a blast, and I only drink on friday and saturday, but it would be nice to switch my saturday to incorporate something more healthy.

So from what I understand is that I can't wear shorts?... and do I bring beer or just chip in?

You can absolutely wear shorts; I always do. However, for trails in more rural/woodland areas, it's often a good idea to either wear pants or knee-high socks, as these will protect your legs against poison ivy/thorn bushes/whatever you have out in Utah.

Nearly every kennel (Voodoo H3 in New Orleans is the only consistent exception I know) requires an entry fee, known as "hash cash," which usually runs between $5 and $10. More for special events. Looks like Wasatch H3 is usually $7, but make sure you check the specific event for more details.

Also, most kennels either offer a discount or simply waive hash cash for virgins, so talk to whomever is taking hash cash so they know it's your first time.

EDIT: This site has an awesome map of kennels in North America. I cannot vouch for its accuracy, but if you just want an idea of where to go, it's not a bad place to start.

HisFlyingFingers fucked around with this message at Jul 19, 2013 around 00:35

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Lastly, I consider myself to be pretty fit. I go hiking and running periodically, and foot bag everday, but am I about to walk, heh, into a situation where I am gonna be lagging behind, because these people are super star athletes/drinkers?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I used to participate in Hash runs while living overseas in South Korea, both in Mokpo and Gwangju. They were loads of fun, and yes they are certainly more about the drinking than the running. We did several costume events, including zombies, pirates/ninjas and red dress.

Expect to get wet. Expect to get dirty. Expect to have fun and get drunk.

Also expect to hear "WRONG TRAIL" a lot.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

I am so loving sold. I just got to convince some friends to drive up with me, and get a motel. Thank you goons for showing me the light.

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

DangerDongs posted:

Lastly, I consider myself to be pretty fit. I go hiking and running periodically, and foot bag everday, but am I about to walk, heh, into a situation where I am gonna be lagging behind, because these people are super star athletes/drinkers?

The short answer is no.

The long answer is, the amount you'll be expected to run varies from place to place. Because hashing has been around for a long time, many kennels have a particularly ornery contingent of hashers who are 60+ and can't move like they used to, but still like walking the trail. Many more kennels have a contingent of hashers who are lazy fat fucks who don't like moving their feet.

If you get left behind on a hash, it's far more likely that you ran ahead and got lost than you couldn't keep up.

Superstar drinkers you may well find; the poster above who warned against driving home from your first hash had it exactly right.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Whoa, completely missed this (the problem with using only bookmarks). I've been hashing regularly for almost five years now. Hashing is definitely fun, but how wild they get completely depends on the specific hash. As far as drama goes, it's a social club so one of the reasons why some people go is to meet people. Hookups and breakups are inevitable. There will always be drama, but I don't think hashes intrinsically have more drama than any other social group.

Radioaktivitat mentioned that UK hashes tend to be a bit more reserved. I've never been in the UK to see that first hand, but I believe it. The hash I had been affiliated with (I just moved to another city) had a pretty large UK contingent, and we were definitely a lot less rowdy than some other hashes I've run with. The circle was at most a merciful 15 minutes as opposed to 30min-1hr I've seen in other hashes. We are also a really race-ist hash (hurrr) as there were a bunch of super-fast people (I knew 3-4 BQ-ers), so I became really into running through being friends with them, but that's definitely outside the norm for US hashes.

edit: To be honest, I don't know if I'd continue to hash if I moved to a non-urban environment. But that's just because I've become used to a particular style (for example, I hate running through heavy trail, or shiggy as it's called in the hash). You may have different tastes.

edit2: I should probably mention that my previous hash was the Brooklyn hash.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at Jul 21, 2013 around 02:52

SaltLick
Oct 6, 2010

I've always wanted to try hashing. Do y'all drink first then run? Drink while running? Run first then drink? Drink at all times and run then drink some more?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

It's usually drink first while waiting for the start, then run and drink at various points on the run, then end and drink. I usually abstain from drinking until the end because, as was previously mentioned, it can be a bad idea to drink and then run.

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

Honestly, I do the opposite; I drink at the beginning and taper off to almost nothing at the end. I've never had any issue with running while drunk, and I prefer to be sober at the end of the night. Then again, I'm our kennel's RA, so I'm supposed to keep things from getting too out of control during circle.

Drainpipe: if I might ask, where do you hash now? And what's your hash name?

Abugadu
Jul 11, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Fashioned for me a cummerbund for my aptitude as a scuffler. i am Honored.

The Heartless posted:

My husband and a bunch of his friends have done a couple of hash runs here on Guam, including the Red Dress Run (which is usually easier than most and is urban because more people turn up since it's a charity/benefit thing. Everyone has to wear a red dress though and some of the guys go all out with wigs, fake boobs, makeup and heels). The other runs start by meeting at a central location (here its the court house) to get directions to where it starts and then they follow markers that the hare leaves. Most are through jungle, across waterfalls and across mountains and usually a person or two ends up in the hospital, some have had to be med-evac'd because of broken legs and some have gotten so lost that search teams get sent out. But again, they go through jungle here and the terrain can get crazy especially if it rains. I hear a lot of them in the states don't get as intense.

Anyways, after the run they have "Religion" (I don't know if that's what they call it everywhere or just here) where everyone sits around a fire and drinks a ton of beer. One of the "initiation" things for new people here is you have to stand up and tell people your name, sing a dirty song, tell a dirty joke or show a body part (my husband mooned people, but said most of the girls flashed boobs, and some guys showed their junk. Again, I don't know if that's a Guam thing. The majority is young military and they seem pretty.. free especially once theyre drunk). I think their cover is $5-10 depending on the run and unlimited beer at the end. These are also organized by a HHH group here.

Anywho, give it a shot. You may love it. People here either hate it and say gently caress that or get addicted and show up every weekend.

Guam is special

Seriously though, it is the best place on earth to hash. Amazing terrain, no poisonous critters, waterfalls to jump off, nice landowners, the bonfires, great variety of hashers (old to young, professionals/military/civilians/locals, etc.) and the best songmaster ever. Injuries aren't that common, though, I'd estimate one every few months. The medi-vac was a one-time thing where a guy got hit by a falling rock, kind of a freak occurrence.

I've been hashing 9 years, a couple of different continents, a few Interhashes, and you'll never find a more fun-loving group of people. It's a self-selecting crowd, and yeah, you'll get a few weirdos every now and then, but no more than any other activity you might do. And in some cases, the weirdos thrive and fit in.

I'd recommend memorizing a few good jokes, maybe a song or two, just in case you're called upon to entertain the crowd. Check the songbook under this link for an extensive list:

http://www.hashguam.com/

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

So I'm going on my first hash on Saturday. Right now I've stopped drinking for the next few months until I meet my weight goal. How bad are people gonna gently caress with me?

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Diggie posted:

So I'm going on my first hash on Saturday. Right now I've stopped drinking for the next few months until I meet my weight goal. How bad are people gonna gently caress with me?

This isn't computing with me...why not just find some people to run with who aren't going to be drinking? The point of hashing is to run AND drink, right?

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Paulie posted:

This isn't computing with me...why not just find some people to run with who aren't going to be drinking? The point of hashing is to run AND drink, right?

Because the girlfriend is wanting to do this with some friends of ours that invited us. Sometimes when you're a non-drinker you still go do things with drinkers.

I'll take the heckling and hazing, I'm just wondering what I'm in for.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

People will gently caress with you a little, just bring a 2-liter of soda or juice or something non-water non-alcoholic if you don't drink. Part of the experience is getting punished or rewarded for doing good or bad things (as arbitrarily defined by those present) by being made to drink, so as long as you have SOMETHING to drink I doubt anyone's going to be too harsh. I've seen people do that before without anyone giving them a hard time.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

berzerker posted:

People will gently caress with you a little, just bring a 2-liter of soda or juice or something non-water non-alcoholic if you don't drink. Part of the experience is getting punished or rewarded for doing good or bad things (as arbitrarily defined by those present) by being made to drink, so as long as you have SOMETHING to drink I doubt anyone's going to be too harsh. I've seen people do that before without anyone giving them a hard time.

I may try to bring some extremely light beer. Light beer sucks, but maybe a few Miller 64s won't mess up my weigh in too bad.

Edit: I went. I drank. I had a great time! Why didn't I do this sooner!

Diggie fucked around with this message at Aug 4, 2013 around 00:37

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Found this thread linked from the Obstacle course thread and I would hate to see it die. I've been hashing for about a year in Dayton, OH (Hi there Schweddy, I'm pretty sure we know each other, from a cowtown hash about a year ago and the green dress run in Dayton this year. I would give you my name but I don't have one. Yes, a year later and still no name).

One of the most interesting things about hashers are that they are incredibly diverse. One person on Dayton's leadership team used to be a manager high up in General Dynamics, whereas some other people are teachers or even grad students. The age and socioeconomic ranges are huge.

One of the great benefits is that any time you take a vacation, you have an easy way to see the local wilderness, get some exercise, get drunk, and socialize all in one. You basically have instant friends-for-a-night everywhere; you don't even have to call ahead. I just got back from San Antonio and my favorite part was probably the hash. That puts it above the Alamo, New Braunfels, several museums, a super fancy dinner on the Riverwalk, and Sea World.

enraged_camel posted:

As for hashing in general, my roommate used to be a hasher, until one day she went "trail-hashing," fell pretty badly and broke her arm. Only then did it occur to her that running while drunk is perhaps a loving terrible idea.

You can get hurt doing anything. Why let that stop her? We had someone break her arm falling off a tree sticking out over a creek, and she was hashing again as soon as she was able (with a doctor's permission, I assume). Relatedly, we have a hash coming up dedicated to people that have been injured on trail! That same woman is haring it.

e: thread icon is hilariously appropriate

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at Aug 15, 2013 around 23:53

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

Diggie posted:

Edit: I went. I drank. I had a great time! Why didn't I do this sooner!

Congrats! For the record, I didn't drink beer for a four-month span earlier this year, including through several hashes during that time period. I just told people at the start that I wasn't drinking, and besides a tiny bit of good-natured ribbing, nothing further was said or done. Hashing tends to have some relaxed boundaries all around, but unless things are seriously hosed, no one is expected to do anything they don't want to do. That includes drinking.

the littlest prince posted:

(Hi there Schweddy, I'm pretty sure we know each other, from a cowtown hash about a year ago and the green dress run in Dayton this year. I would give you my name but I don't have one. Yes, a year later and still no name).

Hey! Feel free to PM me, or just reintroduce yourself when next we're at the same hash. I always love seeing hashers in non-hash contexts.

Also, remember kids: if you don't have a name yet, it's because you're boring. Stop being boring! (I'm mostly kidding. Mostly.)

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Today's hash oughtta be interesting. We've had a lot of rain over the past few days and its raining now. I'm pretty sure that it'll still be raining at 3 when we meet up.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

I've been a hasher for about 7 years. My first hash run was in Phuket, Thailand and I had a lot of fun running through the jungles drunk with fast regulars. Then I ran with CTrH3 for a few years, where I got named. I run with Voodoo H3 in New Orleans sometimes now.

I slowly became disinterested in knowing/singing any of the songs and even more disinterested in the fact that many of the regulars are just alcoholics(who never run) that use hashing culture as a cover for being abusive/creepy assholes. If you have the same opinions about your local hash, its time to create a clique, or get a group together outside the kennel.

I prefer to smoke weed over drinking when I rarely show up to my local hash. Too many of my friends in the past have gotten DUIs after leaving circle or on-after.

When I show up, I run in the front looking for trail, which means I only hang out with 2 or 3 other hashers during the actual run. Everyone else is slow or just walks and drinks the whole time. These hashers are generally the ones that really push for themes and more excuses for extreme drinking. Those people could easily start a non-hash drinking group, but then they wouldn't be special anti-celebrities with an international support group I guess.

I don't miss going to hashes every week or even hanging out with my few hash friends. It gets sooo old to hear them talk about other hashers and drama and pretty much nothing else.

The hunt for true trail is a lot of fun, but that has become 1% of what hashing is now.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Isaac Asimov posted:

I slowly became disinterested in knowing/singing any of the songs and even more disinterested in the fact that many of the regulars are just alcoholics(who never run) that use hashing culture as a cover for being abusive/creepy assholes. If you have the same opinions about your local hash, its time to create a clique, or get a group together outside the kennel.

Everyone else is slow or just walks and drinks the whole time. These hashers are generally the ones that really push for themes and more excuses for extreme drinking. Those people could easily start a non-hash drinking group, but then they wouldn't be special anti-celebrities with an international support group I guess.

Yes. Those who walk because of injury or old age aside, these people seem to have completely thrown out the "running problem" part of the old club description. I'm not saying hashers should be fast, but they should at least like running. Otherwise, why join a hash? This has been something I've noticed more as I've been hashing longer. Urban hashes that run on city streets seem to attract fewer of these people. I'm thinking specifically of New York, San Francisco, andófrom what I've seen so faróChicago. Probably a combination of attracting type-A runners from the city and a 4-5 mile walk on sidewalk through a city not being that fun. Another benefit of city hashing is the proximity to public transportation so that you don't have to worry about DUIs. All the more reasons that I vastly prefer urban hashing.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

drainpipe posted:

Yes. Those who walk because of injury or old age aside, these people seem to have completely thrown out the "running problem" part of the old club description. I'm not saying hashers should be fast, but they should at least like running. Otherwise, why join a hash? This has been something I've noticed more as I've been hashing longer. Urban hashes that run on city streets seem to attract fewer of these people. I'm thinking specifically of New York, San Francisco, and—from what I've seen so far—Chicago. Probably a combination of attracting type-A runners from the city and a 4-5 mile walk on sidewalk through a city not being that fun. Another benefit of city hashing is the proximity to public transportation so that you don't have to worry about DUIs. All the more reasons that I vastly prefer urban hashing.

I miss running with people that like to run

We have public transit here, but the hash is usually way north in mid-city or somewhere that would take an hour to get to by bus. I live in the Bywater neighborhood away from everything now, but when I lived Uptown it would have been awesome to simply hop onto the streetcar after a night of hashing.

I will try whatever kennel is in the next city I move to, but I think I'm done for a while.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

It seems I've either joined a good kennel or I haven't caught any of the drama yet, but I'm inclined to believe the former rather than the latter. It's probably because its about 75% married military couples and everyone has a lot of respect for eachother. None.of the ribbing I've seen has felt malicious in any way.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Melting.

Diggie posted:

It seems I've either joined a good kennel or I haven't caught any of the drama yet, but I'm inclined to believe the former rather than the latter. It's probably because its about 75% married military couples and everyone has a lot of respect for eachother. None.of the ribbing I've seen has felt malicious in any way.

Military + Married + Heavy alcohol use sounds like the making of a drama a-bomb.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009

Prettier than most anime

Diggie posted:

I went. I drank. I had a great time! Why didn't I do this sooner!

Yessssss. Stop talking about it and go find trail you loving wankers.

E: You did, three months ago. I'll drink for this stupid post in circle next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kontradaz
Oct 30, 2010

Sounds like a weird cult full of fat manchildren.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

«2 »