Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I literally know nothing about Flying, when you make a "connection" do you have to go through Security again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Abu Dave posted:

I literally know nothing about Flying, when you make a "connection" do you have to go through Security again?

For domestic US flights, it's rare. Notable exceptions are when you move from one terminal or airline to another and they're not connected behind security. More and more airports are either building facilities that are connected airside or at least have a shuttle or train that will connect you from one terminal to another. International arrivals is another animal all together. If you'll post what your trip looks like, I can provide specifics.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks, I went on a airplane once ten years ago and don't remember it at all, so I was unsure how long to plan a connecting flights length. Thanks!!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Yo I usually get a pretty good price just using Hipmunk, but would it be possible at all to get a round trip from Columbus to San Diego from any day in the third week of December to any day in the second week of January for less than the ~$370 they give me?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Yo I usually get a pretty good price just using Hipmunk, but would it be possible at all to get a round trip from Columbus to San Diego from any day in the third week of December to any day in the second week of January for less than the ~$370 they give me?

I checked and didn't see anything demonstrably better, and I even checked prices if you left out of DAY or CVG instead of CMH with no dice. I also checked flying into the LA area instead and prices were no better. Welcome to travel around Christmas.

BeepBoopBatman
Apr 21, 2008
Norwegian Air is killing it with these ticket prices lately. Just booked tickets for JFK -> OSL to visit a friend over the new years for literally $150/each. Last time we made this trip it was closer to $600-700 roundtrip per person.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

BeepBoopBatman posted:

Norwegian Air is killing it with these ticket prices lately. Just booked tickets for JFK -> OSL to visit a friend over the new years for literally $150/each. Last time we made this trip it was closer to $600-700 roundtrip per person.

It's a pretty soul crushing experience in coach, though, with 28" pitch. I'm flying on them SXF-OSL in December but paid the extra fee to pick seats in advance so I could snag the exit row for my wife and I. Best $13 ever spent.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

What's the best way to snag exit row seats, anyway? Is it just key that you book early?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Click them when they're available and pay the money or fly enough to have status to let you click them

BeepBoopBatman
Apr 21, 2008

Mackieman posted:

It's a pretty soul crushing experience in coach, though, with 28" pitch. I'm flying on them SXF-OSL in December but paid the extra fee to pick seats in advance so I could snag the exit row for my wife and I. Best $13 ever spent.

Yeah we went ahead and did the pick-your-own-seat thing too (I think it was $11 each, so the total was still like $161 or something). The flight's non-stop and mostly overnight, so I really can't complain at all. If this trend keeps up we'll be taking a lot more trips in the coming year.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mackieman posted:

On their 787 too? If so, that stinks. We were thinking about their $500 JFK-LGW since that's just a bit more than a standby zed fare.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mackieman posted:

the pitch is not 28" (within Europe, haven't tried the 787), it's like 31" or something, similar to most carriers, better than Ryanair. And the seats are soft (unlike most recaro slimlines) so your knees won't hurt from hitting the seat in front. Way better than Ryanair anyway. I'm tall and can tolerate non-exit row seats on intraEurope flights. That being said, I've never had any trouble getting the exit row on DY at the airport.. Got it today (flying in 1.5h), had it on my flight here, almost always get it even though i show up at the airport like 1h before normally (there's no web checkin on DY)

And free Wifi (though its slow as hell)

E: On the plane, was wrong, seats are hard back after all.

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 24, 2014

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Hey Mackieman I was wondering if you could help at all.

Flying from: LHR (Or basically anywhere easily reachable from there including Amsterdam, Dublin, Paris etc)
To: AKL (Another NZ airport would be doable as well)
Return flight.
Dates: Ideally 17/01/2015 to 31/01/2015. However I can be pretty flexible with those. I have to be there at least a few days before the 26th (Wedding) and only have about two weeks of time off available.

Cheapest I can find is with China Southern for around £780 or about $1250USD.

Cheers!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Saros posted:

Hey Mackieman I was wondering if you could help at all.

Flying from: LHR (Or basically anywhere easily reachable from there including Amsterdam, Dublin, Paris etc)
To: AKL (Another NZ airport would be doable as well)
Return flight.
Dates: Ideally 17/01/2015 to 31/01/2015. However I can be pretty flexible with those. I have to be there at least a few days before the 26th (Wedding) and only have about two weeks of time off available.

Cheapest I can find is with China Southern for around £780 or about $1250USD.

Cheers!

I don't see anything cheaper than that; I'd jump on it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

drat, seems all the cheap ones are nightmare 31+h itineraries. I suppose they're cheap for a reason :suicide:

Plus there is now no sign of the £780 flights. Everythings up to £850!

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 3, 2014

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a more general note, I would add Google Flights as a tool to find flights to the OP. It's not as comprehensive as ITA (misses some things and is not able to check fares for a few airlines directly) but the interface is much much much easier to use.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

On a more general note, I would add Google Flights as a tool to find flights to the OP. It's not as comprehensive as ITA (misses some things and is not able to check fares for a few airlines directly) but the interface is much much much easier to use.

That's a thought, but my issue is that Google Flights was made so much easier that it killed a lot of the power of ITA. However, because ITA has been mostly broken for the last couple of months, Hipmunk is looking better by the hour. I'll start playing around with Google's interface a little more so I can provide accurate details about it.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mackieman posted:

That's a thought, but my issue is that Google Flights was made so much easier that it killed a lot of the power of ITA. However, because ITA has been mostly broken for the last couple of months, Hipmunk is looking better by the hour. I'll start playing around with Google's interface a little more so I can provide accurate details about it.

Google Flights isn't a more powerful tool or as comprehensive as a matrix+skyscanner search, it's just really easy to use. It does cool things that ITA doesn't such as actually recommending alternative airports/dates if it's significantly cheaper (i.e. "fly into ANA instead of LAX and save $70"). It also makes searching for e.g. oneworld airlines a lot easier, which is cool because I never thought of myself as an MR person but now I'm thinking that I could potentially fly enough in the next 4/5 months to bump my QR Gold to Platinum while still having enjoyable vacations.

edit: yeah, that's basically what you said actually :P so then I guess my post is basically about my favorite features of Flights

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 7, 2014

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Origin: TLV
Destination: Prague
Duration of trip: 4-5 days. I want to leave November 16 and come back on either the 21st or 22nd.
Flexibility: just on the return date.

Right now I can find flights for about $230-$250 round trip using sky scanner and ITA, but I want to see if I can get a slightly cheaper option, or if not cheaper at least a flight on a nice airline.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

regularizer posted:

Origin: TLV
Destination: Prague
Duration of trip: 4-5 days. I want to leave November 16 and come back on either the 21st or 22nd.
Flexibility: just on the return date.

Right now I can find flights for about $230-$250 round trip using sky scanner and ITA, but I want to see if I can get a slightly cheaper option, or if not cheaper at least a flight on a nice airline.

I don't see anything cheaper and that's not a bad fare given the distance; I'd jump on it.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
This seems like a pretty helpful thread. :) My mom, sister and I are going on a vacation to Vegas and the surrounding areas next summer for about two weeks.

Origin: Charlotte (CLT)
Destination: Las Vegas (LAS)
Dates and flexibility: Ideally 14 days exactly. We had originally planned Sunday, 5/31/15 to 6/14/15, but we can do Fridays or Saturdays if it would be cheaper.

We also need to rent a car for those two weeks. Expedia said it would be $1993 for the three round trip flights bundled with the car (4 door Chevy Spark) for two weeks, which is far cheaper than anything Google Flights and searching Hertz or Enterprise gave me individually.

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013

Riosan posted:

This seems like a pretty helpful thread. :)

Agreed!

I have a somewhat unusual question (I hope this is the right thread). I'm flying from Germany (Düsseldorf) to Florida (either Tampa or Orlando) early next March, and back at the end of March or in early April. On the way back, my boyfriend's coming with me. He'll actually be moving to Germany, so he just needs a one-way ticket. What's the smartest (cheapest, least complicated) way of going about booking these three tickets?
We could get him a return ticket, of course (we'll be visiting Florida again in the summer, most likely), but then there's still the hassle of getting us on the same plane(s) and also, we'd have to keep doing that forever and that seems like a pain in the butt, too. Any advice?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I don't have time to look at tickets/mackieman has better advice for one ways vs. returns / changing, however be very careful about your boyfriend travelling to Europe on a one way ticket unless he has a visa or passport that will allow him to. An American passport holder won't be allowed into Europe on a one way ticket.

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013

teacup posted:

I don't have time to look at tickets/mackieman has better advice for one ways vs. returns / changing, however be very careful about your boyfriend travelling to Europe on a one way ticket unless he has a visa or passport that will allow him to. An American passport holder won't be allowed into Europe on a one way ticket.

Yeah, I realized that last night, too -- we'll probably get him a return ticket to FL for the end of June, then, because we can't be sure he'll have his visa by the time we leave.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

teacup posted:

Does customs have your return flight information in advance, and does the procedure vary country to country? When I landed in Spain earlier this year, I didn't fill out any forms and really only remember a single half-assed question (what brings you to the country? vacation) before I got my passport stamped. From there, there was only a quick passport check (as ID, not for a visa) when moving on to France and then back to Spain. If anything, the customs officer on the way out of the country seemed the most interested, but that seemed a little too late.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Riosan posted:

This seems like a pretty helpful thread. :) My mom, sister and I are going on a vacation to Vegas and the surrounding areas next summer for about two weeks.

Origin: Charlotte (CLT)
Destination: Las Vegas (LAS)
Dates and flexibility: Ideally 14 days exactly. We had originally planned Sunday, 5/31/15 to 6/14/15, but we can do Fridays or Saturdays if it would be cheaper.

We also need to rent a car for those two weeks. Expedia said it would be $1993 for the three round trip flights bundled with the car (4 door Chevy Spark) for two weeks, which is far cheaper than anything Google Flights and searching Hertz or Enterprise gave me individually.

You're waaaay too far out to book that. $550 per person for flights is clowntown crazy. Start watching it, but I wouldn't be booking until after the holidays when prices fall.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Mackieman posted:

You're waaaay too far out to book that. $550 per person for flights is clowntown crazy. Start watching it, but I wouldn't be booking until after the holidays when prices fall.

That was the plan from the beginning, we had recently bought tickets for a flight over Christmas and I was looking at prices for our future vacation. I had just asked in this thread to see if $2000 was decent for 3 round trip + a rental car for two weeks, or if I was being railed at that price. We still have to save money for the vacation itself, and the plan was to start seriously looking and probably buy the plane tickets in January or early February at the latest. Does that seem about right?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Anoulie posted:

Agreed!

I have a somewhat unusual question (I hope this is the right thread). I'm flying from Germany (Düsseldorf) to Florida (either Tampa or Orlando) early next March, and back at the end of March or in early April. On the way back, my boyfriend's coming with me. He'll actually be moving to Germany, so he just needs a one-way ticket. What's the smartest (cheapest, least complicated) way of going about booking these three tickets?
We could get him a return ticket, of course (we'll be visiting Florida again in the summer, most likely), but then there's still the hassle of getting us on the same plane(s) and also, we'd have to keep doing that forever and that seems like a pain in the butt, too. Any advice?

teacup posted:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Does customs have your return flight information in advance, and does the procedure vary country to country? When I landed in Spain earlier this year, I didn't fill out any forms and really only remember a single half-assed question (what brings you to the country? vacation) before I got my passport stamped. From there, there was only a quick passport check (as ID, not for a visa) when moving on to France and then back to Spain. If anything, the customs officer on the way out of the country seemed the most interested, but that seemed a little too late.

Teacup is correct: by statute, in order to do visa on arrival for the EU, you must show either significant, liquid personal worth or proof of egress from the EU. You may not get questioned, but officials have access to itineraries and when they scan your passport they can see the details if they choose to look at them. Without a method of egress, they could deny entry to the EU.

The solution, then, is to have a round trip ticket. You can space the return way far out but the fare may be higher due to the stay duration rules that are built into most international fares. And if you want a fare you can change without fees, that fare will be rather expensive. Your round trip will be DUS/CGN-TPA/MCO and his will be TPA/MCO-DUS/CGN. For a fare comparison, I'd also price out of FRA and MIA to make sure a little extra time on either end won't save you a lot of money on what will wind up being a very expensive ticket for him at least.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Riosan posted:

That was the plan from the beginning, we had recently bought tickets for a flight over Christmas and I was looking at prices for our future vacation. I had just asked in this thread to see if $2000 was decent for 3 round trip + a rental car for two weeks, or if I was being railed at that price. We still have to save money for the vacation itself, and the plan was to start seriously looking and probably buy the plane tickets in January or early February at the latest. Does that seem about right?

Yeah, that seems reasonable. If you watch closely you can secure fares for sub $300 per person, and a car shouldn't be that bad in Vegas of all places, especially if you make use of a good corporate rate code.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Could you get a cheap burner ticket like Germany-UK as "proof of egress" then hope your residence gets sorted in time?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

peanut posted:

Could you get a cheap burner ticket like Germany-UK as "proof of egress" then hope your residence gets sorted in time?

I suppose. I'm not an immigration expert by any means, but I imagine you'd still be required to leave the EU and re-enter on the new visa in that case. So it really comes down to money, as it will cost to have a return ticket, cost to have a changeable ticket, or cost to have a burner ticket.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You just need to leave Schengen. Eindhoven - London with Ryanair is only 20 euro, so might as well get that.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Umm I'm an EU citizen so Schengen migration rules aren't that relevant to me but this proof of onward ticket is something that I've been asked like once or twice out of 70+ countries that I've visited, I don't imagine it will be a big problem in the EU. Just tell them you're leaving overland or something or that you have enough money for a ticket in your bank account.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

peanut posted:

Many places will also check if you have the correct visa to stay in the next country i.e. If it's home then great but if it's the UK they would say "where is your visa there?"

Geriatric Pirate - That may be correct, but as a counterpoint I work in a travel angency and I see it happen probably once a week on people who ignore it. YMMV?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Umm I'm an EU citizen so Schengen migration rules aren't that relevant to me but this proof of onward ticket is something that I've been asked like once or twice out of 70+ countries that I've visited, I don't imagine it will be a big problem in the EU. Just tell them you're leaving overland or something or that you have enough money for a ticket in your bank account.

This is not sound advice. Not having paperwork in order when visiting other countries is a great way to get your passport flagged or other poo poo that will inhibit your ability to travel and/or cost you a ton of money. "Oh, they won't let you in so you need a last minute one way back home? That'll be $3000."

It's simply a bad idea.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mackieman posted:

This is not sound advice. Not having paperwork in order when visiting other countries is a great way to get your passport flagged or other poo poo that will inhibit your ability to travel and/or cost you a ton of money. "Oh, they won't let you in so you need a last minute one way back home? That'll be $3000."

It's simply a bad idea.

I'm just saying it's a rule that in my experience has barely ever been enforced, just like rules about having having a yellow fever vaccination or something like that. Sure it's better to do things by the book if you can but a £20 burner ticket to a country which doesn't make any sense itinerary wise is way more likely to get caught by an immigration officer than "I'll spend a month meeting friends in Germany and then go see Eastern Europe by taking a bus to Vienna, Bratislava and then Zagreb and then buy a ticket to fly home" or "Since I'm going to spend 3 months here in Germany I figured it would be cheaper for me to buy a ticket after I arrive, here's proof of funds", so then your options become a one-way ticket way out into the future (btw check out OSL-FLL or LGW-FLL or ARN-FLL for Norwegian's fares, they can easily be sub $200) or a flexi ticket.

edit: you could also get a fully refundable ticket, but #1) you'll have to go through the hassle of getting a refund and #2) immigration officials are not stupid and they'll immediately ask you why you have a fully refundable ticket

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 13, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Norwegian has been the most disorganized mess of an airline I've encountered but then they also had the most beautiful woman I've ever seen working as a flight attendant so maybe it's worth it. Just never call them on the phone. Or check luggage.

BeepBoopBatman
Apr 21, 2008

Snowy posted:

Norwegian has been the most disorganized mess of an airline I've encountered but then they also had the most beautiful woman I've ever seen working as a flight attendant so maybe it's worth it. Just never call them on the phone. Or check luggage.

'Don't check luggage' was the piece of advice we heard the most frequently while making travel plans with them. It's tempting with that $22 'pick your own seat + get a meal + check a bag' upgrade, but I prefer my luggage arrive in the same country I do (and at the same time, if possible).

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013
Yeah, we're going to do the "book a return ticket 88 days after arrival or so" thing. I don't wanna risk him being banned from re-entering Schengen for ten years or so like in some dumb chick flick.

Mackieman posted:

The solution, then, is to have a round trip ticket. You can space the return way far out but the fare may be higher due to the stay duration rules that are built into most international fares. And if you want a fare you can change without fees, that fare will be rather expensive. Your round trip will be DUS/CGN-TPA/MCO and his will be TPA/MCO-DUS/CGN. For a fare comparison, I'd also price out of FRA and MIA to make sure a little extra time on either end won't save you a lot of money on what will wind up being a very expensive ticket for him at least.

Just did some searches on kayak and it came out to 604 € as the cheapest for me ($ 770, not bad) but around 900 € for him ($ 1150). I guess those prices are only going to rise from now on, so I should act quickly. What would be the smartest way to get us both on the same Florida-Germany flight? Any advice is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Looking for this ticket for 2 adults. Skyteam, Star Alliance preferred:

Thurs, Dec 18th out of LIM to CUZ. Thurs, Dec 25th out of CUZ back to LIM. Preferable late morning, early afternoon departures.

Every flight I'm seeing is $300 round trip and I assume this ticket can be had as low as $200-$225 should I know where to look or book at the right time.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 14, 2014