Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

BeepBoopBatman posted:

'Don't check luggage' was the piece of advice we heard the most frequently while making travel plans with them. It's tempting with that $22 'pick your own seat + get a meal + check a bag' upgrade, but I prefer my luggage arrive in the same country I do (and at the same time, if possible).

This is not comforting considering that I have an SXF-OSL segment in December on them and paid for the checked bag which I normally carry on but don't want to deal with :rolleyes: when getting on the plane since that's a revenue channel for them. At least it's on the way home and I'll pack a change of clothes in my backpack just to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Anoulie posted:

Just did some searches on kayak and it came out to 604 € as the cheapest for me ($ 770, not bad) but around 900 € for him ($ 1150). I guess those prices are only going to rise from now on, so I should act quickly. What would be the smartest way to get us both on the same Florida-Germany flight? Any advice is appreciated.

The only way to do it is to book both of you on the same flight. When you buy your ticket, make sure you can get his ticket with the same segments in your respective directions. If it doesn't price, you may need to look at alternatives. This is a common issue I have when I'm booking an award ticket for my wife and a revenue ticket for myself to go somewhere; trying to get award seats and cost-effective revenue seats on the same flight can be problematic, at least with United.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Blinkman987 posted:

Looking for this ticket for 2 adults. Skyteam, Star Alliance preferred:

Thurs, Dec 18th out of LIM to CUZ. Thurs, Dec 25th out of CUZ back to LIM. Preferable late morning, early afternoon departures.

Every flight I'm seeing is $300 round trip and I assume this ticket can be had as low as $200-$225 should I know where to look or book at the right time.

I see $295 and I wouldn't expect it to go much lower. You're traveling over a holiday period and there is limited non-stop service between the two. $300 seems about right to me.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blinkman987 posted:

Looking for this ticket for 2 adults. Skyteam, Star Alliance preferred:

Thurs, Dec 18th out of LIM to CUZ. Thurs, Dec 25th out of CUZ back to LIM. Preferable late morning, early afternoon departures.

Every flight I'm seeing is $300 round trip and I assume this ticket can be had as low as $200-$225 should I know where to look or book at the right time.

If you're Peruvian or live in Peru you can get the trip for <$130 per person roundtrip. Check out Avianca's Peruvian website.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

If you're Peruvian or live in Peru you can get the trip for <$130 per person roundtrip. Check out Avianca's Peruvian website.

Nope. Good thought though.

Mackieman posted:

I see $295 and I wouldn't expect it to go much lower. You're traveling over a holiday period and there is limited non-stop service between the two. $300 seems about right to me.

Thanks. I'll just pull the trigger on it today.

Shoutout to CheapOAir for trying to sell me two student tickets for $160 each. I'm sure every person who frequents a site with that name is well versed in reading the fare restrictions and certainly wouldn't just click "purchase ticket" in excitement. =/

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My favourite was when Expedia booked me a return ticket from SYD -> QZN with luggage on the way there and no luggage on the way back, despite the website saying I was booked with luggage both ways, and then not replying at all to my email to complain about it.

I was out $260 at the airport thanks to that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you haven't booked yet it looks like StarPeru is 235?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

sellouts posted:

If you haven't booked yet it looks like StarPeru is 235?

Nah, they're just sneaky fuckers who only quote the price with tax at the next stage of booking... about 295 total.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Nah, they're just sneaky fuckers who only quote the price with tax at the next stage of booking... about 295 total.

So glad that's illegal in most countries. Apparently Peru isn't one of them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm trying to pick airfare for GenCon (7/30-8/2). We're coming from VA/MD so I've been looking at BWI/IAD/DCA, and flying in to IND. I haven't seen anything under $300. Is this about the best I can expect to get, or should I tell people to hold out since we are still >6 months out?

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013

Anoulie posted:

I have a somewhat unusual question (I hope this is the right thread). I'm flying from Germany (Düsseldorf) to Florida (either Tampa or Orlando) early next March, and back at the end of March or in early April. On the way back, my boyfriend's coming with me. He'll actually be moving to Germany, so he just needs a one-way ticket. What's the smartest (cheapest, least complicated) way of going about booking these three tickets?
We could get him a return ticket, of course (we'll be visiting Florida again in the summer, most likely), but then there's still the hassle of getting us on the same plane(s) and also, we'd have to keep doing that forever and that seems like a pain in the butt, too. Any advice?

So I went to a travel agent and only ended up paying $1,800 for both our flight both round-trip -- but we can't be on the same plane in end of March/early April. It's kind of funny; we leave within a few hours of each other, but I'm flying via Miami and he via Manchester. It would've been rad to fly together, but we save almost $500 that way, and we'll most likely fly together in September or so when visiting his family.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Toshimo posted:

I'm trying to pick airfare for GenCon (7/30-8/2). We're coming from VA/MD so I've been looking at BWI/IAD/DCA, and flying in to IND. I haven't seen anything under $300. Is this about the best I can expect to get, or should I tell people to hold out since we are still >6 months out?

I'd hold out for a while. Pay particular attention to Southwest out of BWI as other airlines often match their fares as part of legacy logic from when Southwest was a low cost carrier.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Anoulie posted:

So I went to a travel agent and only ended up paying $1,800 for both our flight both round-trip -- but we can't be on the same plane in end of March/early April. It's kind of funny; we leave within a few hours of each other, but I'm flying via Miami and he via Manchester. It would've been rad to fly together, but we save almost $500 that way, and we'll most likely fly together in September or so when visiting his family.

Glad you got something that works for you. :)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Here's a tip for airfare: If it seems too good to be true, you should probably book it. Saw tickets for AMS-PEK-HKG for 432 euro, the next day I checked it was at 503. :(

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm looking into RDU/IAD->CDG for the end of February. While IAD (unsurprisingly) has some cheaper options, in general the lowest prices are pretty close between the two airports... EXCEPT for a IAD->KEF->CDG from Icelandair that's some $400-500 off the consensus. Is this a red flag? Does anyone have strong opinions on Icelandair? The airplane nerd in me really wants to take the B787 from Air Canada, but $500 isn't something to sneeze at.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

dupersaurus posted:

I'm looking into RDU/IAD->CDG for the end of February. While IAD (unsurprisingly) has some cheaper options, in general the lowest prices are pretty close between the two airports... EXCEPT for a IAD->KEF->CDG from Icelandair that's some $400-500 off the consensus. Is this a red flag? Does anyone have strong opinions on Icelandair? The airplane nerd in me really wants to take the B787 from Air Canada, but $500 isn't something to sneeze at.

Icelandair regularly runs deals like that and if you don't mind the layover in KEF, you can save some cash that way. Their coach seats are pretty terrible but almost everyone's coach seats are terrible. If you've got the time, jump on it. Iceland is also a nifty place so you have the option of scheduling an overnight as well in most cases.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

If you've got the time/funds, they do free stopovers in Iceland for up to a week. Iceland is a pretty amazing place to visit so definitely recommend taking advantage.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mackieman posted:

Icelandair regularly runs deals like that and if you don't mind the layover in KEF, you can save some cash that way. Their coach seats are pretty terrible but almost everyone's coach seats are terrible. If you've got the time, jump on it. Iceland is also a nifty place so you have the option of scheduling an overnight as well in most cases.

Jossos posted:

If you've got the time/funds, they do free stopovers in Iceland for up to a week. Iceland is a pretty amazing place to visit so definitely recommend taking advantage.

I was going to ask out feasible/desirable that would be at the end of February, but it looks like Reykjavik is (relatively) mild.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Riosan posted:

We also need to rent a car for those two weeks. Expedia said it would be $1993 for the three round trip flights bundled with the car (4 door Chevy Spark) for two weeks, which is far cheaper than anything Google Flights and searching Hertz or Enterprise gave me individually.

I would get a bigger car. The Spark is insanely small. I just rented one for a week when I went to Seattle and Idaho. They only have 85 hp (gutless to say the least) and have no cargo room. I doubt you could put three people and your gear in the car. My 1 large suitcase would not even fit in the rear hatch and took up the entire back seat.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 24, 2014

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014
Is there a way to search flights from my city with no destination in mind, just a region or number of regions?

I dont really care where I travel to sometimes, I'd love to see low prices and make a travel decision based on some cheap international flight i've found.

I've been using flightcenter http://www.flightcentre.ca/flights/flights-departing-from-vancouver Up until now.
But it seems like it most likely lacks the range of what the Matrix Tool can search

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

BCBUDDHA posted:

Is there a way to search flights from my city with no destination in mind, just a region or number of regions?

I dont really care where I travel to sometimes, I'd love to see low prices and make a travel decision based on some cheap international flight i've found.

I've been using flightcenter http://www.flightcentre.ca/flights/flights-departing-from-vancouver Up until now.
But it seems like it most likely lacks the range of what the Matrix Tool can search

Kayak's Explore and Google Flights have a feature sort of like that, but Kayak's is only as good as the fares other people are searching for so know that going in.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm looking at the Iberia bike policy for a flight from Guayaquil - Manchester (stops in Madrid and LHR) and it says $75 per leg, does that mean $75 for a one way, or $225 considering it has two stopovers...

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sad Panda posted:

I'm looking at the Iberia bike policy for a flight from Guayaquil - Manchester (stops in Madrid and LHR) and it says $75 per leg, does that mean $75 for a one way, or $225 considering it has two stopovers...

Should be $75 one way, you don't generally get charged per segment as you're checking the bike through to your final destination. Be aware that Iberia is owned by British Airways and they'll likely be operating your MAD-LHR-MAN segments so I'd talk to someone from Iberia to confirm your understanding. This astrisk does exist on their baggage site:

Iberia's Website posted:

If the operator is not Iberia, check the particular carriage conditions and allowances with the company. This service may not be requested on IB5XXX flights.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never flown before really but I just noticed on JetBlue's website that my name has my First Name, but with my middle initial at the end, so it says like Trevorb . Is this going to make a problem when I go through security etc?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Radiohead71 posted:

I would get a bigger car. The Spark is insanely small. I just rented one for a week when I went to Seattle and Idaho. They only have 85 hp (gutless to say the least) and have no cargo room. I doubt you could put three people and your gear in the car. My 1 large suitcase would not even fit in the rear hatch and took up the entire back seat.

I own a Chevy Spark, and it's great to haul 4 people around with nothing else, or 2 people and some luggage, but I think you'd have a hard time with 3 people plus stuff.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Abu Dave posted:

I've never flown before really but I just noticed on JetBlue's website that my name has my First Name, but with my middle initial at the end, so it says like Trevorb . Is this going to make a problem when I go through security etc?

That is common; as long as that stuff is on your photoID you'll be fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What's the domestic-international connection like at San Francisco? I'm going to have a slightly over one hour stop there to swap planes from domestic to international and a bit worried about the time, but I had no alternative that wasn't terrible.

I'll have a couple checked bags but I assume I won't have to do anything with them (same airline, too), just get my own rear end to the plane.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Grand Fromage posted:

What's the domestic-international connection like at San Francisco? I'm going to have a slightly over one hour stop there to swap planes from domestic to international and a bit worried about the time, but I had no alternative that wasn't terrible.

I'll have a couple checked bags but I assume I won't have to do anything with them (same airline, too), just get my own rear end to the plane.

What airline? If it's United, an hour should be plenty if you're on time. You may have to hoof it a bit, but you'll make the flight. If you're delayed, we'll say some kind words over your remains. I'd know your backup routing options and be prepared to call if things go tits up. If you care to post your itinerary I'll look at alternatives you can request.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mackieman posted:

What airline? If it's United, an hour should be plenty if you're on time. You may have to hoof it a bit, but you'll make the flight. If you're delayed, we'll say some kind words over your remains. I'd know your backup routing options and be prepared to call if things go tits up. If you care to post your itinerary I'll look at alternatives you can request.

It is United.

February 25, 2015
Arrive at ORD on little regional plane 8:43 AM

Flight 769 ORD -> SFO
Depart 10 AM, Arrive 12:38 PM

Flight 9 SFO -> CTU
Depart 1:35 PM, Arrive 7:55 PM next day

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I'll have done 19 segments this year but that's not enough for even lowest-tier status, and the QM have generally been lovely because of the fares that I buy. Is it worth trying to stick with a given airline/alliance (Air Canada/*A) for me, or just shop around for the best fare for any given flight? It's all leisure travel.

spoof fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 1, 2014

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Grand Fromage posted:

It is United.

February 25, 2015
Arrive at ORD on little regional plane 8:43 AM

Flight 769 ORD -> SFO
Depart 10 AM, Arrive 12:38 PM

Flight 9 SFO -> CTU
Depart 1:35 PM, Arrive 7:55 PM next day

I'm headed to CTU next week. :cool:

Downside for your trip is that 1:35PM is about an hour and a half after the TPAC bank leaves SFO, so you're rather screwed if something goes tits up. Best you can do is get on the midnight departures (11 hours after your originally scheduled departure) to PEK or HKG; you wind up getting there on the 27th instead of the 26th. If you have elite status (or don't mind the $75 fee) to do a Same Day Change to an earlier departure from ORD, you might consider it based on conditions on your day of travel.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

spoof posted:

I'll have done 19 segments this year but that's not enough for even lowest-tier status, and the QM have generally been lovely because of the fares that I buy. Is it worth trying to stick with a given airline/alliance (Air Canada/*A) for me, or just shop around for the best fare for any given flight? It's all leisure travel.

You're not flying often enough to earn anything that the right credit card can't get for you. Buy based on price/comfort and enjoy your trips.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mackieman posted:

I'm headed to CTU next week. :cool:

Downside for your trip is that 1:35PM is about an hour and a half after the TPAC bank leaves SFO, so you're rather screwed if something goes tits up. Best you can do is get on the midnight departures (11 hours after your originally scheduled departure) to PEK or HKG; you wind up getting there on the 27th instead of the 26th. If you have elite status (or don't mind the $75 fee) to do a Same Day Change to an earlier departure from ORD, you might consider it based on conditions on your day of travel.

It is a cool city to get fat in.

Being delayed isn't a huge deal other than being annoying, I don't have to be at work for a few days after I return anyway. It was the only 787 I could find though, the rest were 747-400s with no in-seat entertainment or power plugs. I'm already having to do that on the way over and the return flight is even longer.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Grand Fromage posted:

It is a cool city to get fat in.

Being delayed isn't a huge deal other than being annoying, I don't have to be at work for a few days after I return anyway. It was the only 787 I could find though, the rest were 747-400s with no in-seat entertainment or power plugs. I'm already having to do that on the way over and the return flight is even longer.

The plastic princess is on LAX-PVG as well so if you don't mind the intra-China connection you could do that. Same for NRT through DEN or LAX.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

gently caress LAX.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
Help me fly cheap/conveniently! Going to Egypt with a group, all arriving and departing separately.

Duration: ~8 days
Origin (flexible): NYC (all airports)
Destination: Cairo (CAI)
Arrival: 12/15/2014, AM if possible. Not very flexible. Itinerary begins that evening, and I'm not keen to arrive the night before on my own
Departure: 12/22/2014 (any time)

Google flights/Kayak have not been kind.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why are you booking so late during the holidays? With such little flexibility it sounds like you are looking for a miracle.

For anyone wondering where to go during the holidays I found airfare to cabo is currently pretty cheap. Hopefully the resort I booked didn't suffer too much damage!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

bam thwok posted:

Help me fly cheap/conveniently! Going to Egypt with a group, all arriving and departing separately.

Duration: ~8 days
Origin (flexible): NYC (all airports)
Destination: Cairo (CAI)
Arrival: 12/15/2014, AM if possible. Not very flexible. Itinerary begins that evening, and I'm not keen to arrive the night before on my own
Departure: 12/22/2014 (any time)

Google flights/Kayak have not been kind.

Yeah, no way boss. You've waited entirely too long and are now squarely into holiday pricing. Best of luck.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

sellouts posted:

Why are you booking so late during the holidays? With such little flexibility it sounds like you are looking for a miracle.

Eh, nothing I could do. Late-developing itinerary, and the possibility of a group purchase discount that fell through.

At this point, I guess my only question is if there's any source for price history data that would let me know if it I should book immediately or if there's likely to be any more give in the prices in the next few days or weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Just book it you are literally 8 weeks away and travelling during the busiest time of the year