Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

asur posted:

I don't know if you have any other travel planned, but 1 UR to 1 cent is between a half to a third of what I'd value UR points at. If you have any international travel that is serviced by United, Singapore Airlines or Korean Air or short distance flights by BA it might be worth saving the points.
Thanks; I'll keep it in my pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Have a wedding in San Diego to get to. Wife wants to head out earlier, we preferably head back together.

Leg 1a: Departing Iowa either late Friday June 19, or any time Saturday June 20. In this situation, since it's just her, I can drive her to an airport other than CID. Options are DSM and MLI; DSM is almost certainly the best. Oh and DBQ because it's hilariously tiny.

Leg 1b: Departing Iowa either late Tuesday June 23, or any time Weds June 24. In this situation, I'm alone, so where I park is where the car stays for the next few days, and thus, wherever Leg 1b departs is where Leg 2 has to return to. Options again are CID, DSM, MLI, and the DBQ comedy option.

Leg 2: Both of us returning from San Diego to Iowa on Saturday June 27 or Sunday June 28. I found a cheap flight from SAN to DSM but it departs SAN at 8:30am on the day after the wedding, and no thank you.

Basically: Can/should any geographic magic be done on this or should I simply buck up and do a couple of simple CID<->SAN itineraries, and work it so my return flight is the same as hers?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Golbez posted:

Have a wedding in San Diego to get to. Wife wants to head out earlier, we preferably head back together.

Leg 1a: Departing Iowa either late Friday June 19, or any time Saturday June 20. In this situation, since it's just her, I can drive her to an airport other than CID. Options are DSM and MLI; DSM is almost certainly the best. Oh and DBQ because it's hilariously tiny.

Leg 1b: Departing Iowa either late Tuesday June 23, or any time Weds June 24. In this situation, I'm alone, so where I park is where the car stays for the next few days, and thus, wherever Leg 1b departs is where Leg 2 has to return to. Options again are CID, DSM, MLI, and the DBQ comedy option.

Leg 2: Both of us returning from San Diego to Iowa on Saturday June 27 or Sunday June 28. I found a cheap flight from SAN to DSM but it departs SAN at 8:30am on the day after the wedding, and no thank you.

Basically: Can/should any geographic magic be done on this or should I simply buck up and do a couple of simple CID<->SAN itineraries, and work it so my return flight is the same as hers?

I think the best way to approach this is to start looking at one-ways for each of the segments you need. Find the best price and schedule and then see if pricing changes when you attempt to parlay that into a round trip via multi-city search. Also remember to use multi-city search to manually input connections as this sometimes breaks married segment logic in the airline search engines which can give you a lower price than a normal round trip search.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
My girlfriend and I are travelling to Europe in a couple weeks. We managed to score a $350 flight to Dublin on June 15th, but no such luck on the way back - all the return flights are upwards of $1000 no matter where I look. We'll be flying back at the end of July, so anywhere after the 25th. Intra-Europe flights seem to be pretty cheap, so we're willing to hop around if it will shave off some money.

Origin: Europe
Destination: Calgary, AB, Canada
Duration of trip with dates: End of July - after the 25th
Flexibility: However flexible we need to be!

Any help?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

thehoodie posted:

My girlfriend and I are travelling to Europe in a couple weeks. We managed to score a $350 flight to Dublin on June 15th, but no such luck on the way back - all the return flights are upwards of $1000 no matter where I look. We'll be flying back at the end of July, so anywhere after the 25th. Intra-Europe flights seem to be pretty cheap, so we're willing to hop around if it will shave off some money.

Any help?

Did you already buy those one way flights? That's the thing with super cheap one way fares, they tend to come back for you on the return flight. I couldn't find any sub $1,000 fares on a one way from DUB, SNN, LHR, or CDG.

I've got Air Canada from YYC to DUB leaving 06/16 and coming back 07/27 through Toronto for 1,980 round trip for both of you. SNN is slightly more expensive and there's not enough savings to justify going to LHR, LGW, or CDG unless you were already there.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 1, 2015

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.

thehoodie posted:

Any help?

There's a Lufthansa/Condor flight on July 31 from Amsterdam that's €1593 for two. You should be able to get from Dublin to Amsterdam for around €250 on Aer Lingus.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

thehoodie posted:

Any help?

Yeah, rule #1 of international travel, don't book one ways.

$562 on Westjet via Hipmunk July 26th.

Thank your lucky stars that Westjet started going to Ireland because otherwise there was no way you were doing it for under $1k/ticket.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

HookShot posted:

Thank your lucky stars that Westjet started going to Ireland because otherwise there was no way you were doing it for under $1k/ticket.

Hopefully they don't have too much luggage otherwise that WestJet price is going to jump up with fees. Also their service is pretty bare bones, but hey not much choice when you're trying to go one way on a budget.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

HookShot posted:

Yes, as I've quickly learned, but it was on special - through Westjet, too. Anyway, that's a far more reasonable price, thanks for the help!

Sulla
May 10, 2008
Help!

First time international traveler, I've just had a paper accepted for a conference that will be hosted in Valencia, Spain (Sept 1-4). I'm hoping to take my wife with me.

Details:

Origin: Brasília, Brazil
Destination: Valencia, Spain

Duration of trip: September 1-4th.

Can you use alternate or nearby airports? Don't think so. BSB only has the one international airport.

Do you have a specific airline preference? Nope

Can you fly a day or two before or after your preferred travel date? I can leave as soon as the 29th of august (evening). I have to be home by the 6th.

Time/Day of the week you leave: Between 08/29 (Friday evening) and 08/31 (Monday morning? I'm hoping to get at least a night's sleep between the 31st and the 1st of september)

Seasonal/Peak travel timing: I guess late August is still pretty expensive there...we're willing to stay at hostels and such though.

Special events: There's supposed to be a giant food fighting festival the week before we get there but I guess we're gonna miss it :(

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sulla posted:

Help!

First time international traveler, I've just had a paper accepted for a conference that will be hosted in Valencia, Spain (Sept 1-4). I'm hoping to take my wife with me.

Details:

Origin: Brasília, Brazil
Destination: Valencia, Spain

Duration of trip: September 1-4th.

Can you use alternate or nearby airports? Don't think so. BSB only has the one international airport.

Can you fly a day or two before or after your preferred travel date? I can leave as soon as the 29th of august (evening). I have to be home by the 6th.

Time/Day of the week you leave: Between 08/29 (Friday evening) and 08/31 (Monday morning? I'm hoping to get at least a night's sleep between the 31st and the 1st of september)

Seasonal/Peak travel timing: I guess late August is still pretty expensive there...we're willing to stay at hostels and such though.

Special events: There's supposed to be a giant food fighting festival the week before we get there but I guess we're gonna miss it :(

I'm assuming you realize that you'll have to change planes in Rio or Sao Paulo both ways; there are no European flights out of Brasilia, despite it being a nifty place that is high on my list of stuff I want to visit in South America. Best I see at the moment is $878USD or R$2752 round trip for BSB-GIG-AMS-VLC on the way out and VLC-CDG-GIG-BSB on the return on a mixture of SkyTeam carriers. It involves a pretty poo poo layover in Rio given how difficult it is to get into town from the airport because of traffic, and there is a forced overnight in Amsterdam, but that's not such a bad thing. That's not a bad fare for what you're doing; Here's a link to Google Flights for the details: http://goo.gl/flights/vXoe

Sulla
May 10, 2008

Mackieman posted:

I'm assuming you realize that you'll have to change planes in Rio or Sao Paulo both ways; there are no European flights out of Brasilia, despite it being a nifty place that is high on my list of stuff I want to visit in South America. Best I see at the moment is $878USD or R$2752 round trip for BSB-GIG-AMS-VLC on the way out and VLC-CDG-GIG-BSB on the return on a mixture of SkyTeam carriers. It involves a pretty poo poo layover in Rio given how difficult it is to get into town from the airport because of traffic, and there is a forced overnight in Amsterdam, but that's not such a bad thing. That's not a bad fare for what you're doing; Here's a link to Google Flights for the details: http://goo.gl/flights/vXoe

Yup, that's pretty much normal for any flight outside of Brasilia.

Thanks for the help! Drop me a line if you're ever around here, me and my wife will be glad to give you a tour :) (she's an architect, much better at explaining all the cultural stuff than I am!) .

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's a high speed train between Barcelona and Valencia so I would look into BCN flights too.

Migz
Apr 27, 2006
Hola

First time international traveler, looking to take the goon right of passage and visit Thailand.

Details:

Origin: Tampa, Florida
Destination: BangKok

Duration of trip: November 10-24ish

Can you use alternate or nearby airports? Yes, Orlando.. Can go out of NY or Cali.. I've heard some times they have better deals in Cali but I think NY is a shorter flight?

Can you fly a day or two before or after your preferred travel date? Can leave 10th or after.. have to be back by thanksgiving

Time/Day of the week you leave: on vacation.. so prefer to start travel on the 10th any time.

Traveling with a friend if that helps? Seeing some flights on skyscanner from 950 to 1100ish.. Is that about normal? Seems kinda cheap to me. I remember seeing flights before in the 1500 range.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you can actually get a non-terrible flight from the East Coast to Bangkok for $1000 or less, grab that poo poo asap.

Migz
Apr 27, 2006
Whats considered a horrible flight?

This is what I'm looking at.

http://www.skyscanner.com/transport...d=false#details

jetBlue

B6426

6:55 PM

TPA Tampa International

Departure

2h 36m

9:31 PM

JFK New York John F. Kennedy

Destination

Change airportLong wait

Connection

3h 39m

Cathay Pacific

CX899

1:10 AM (+1)

EWR New York Newark

Departure

15h 50m

6:00 AM (+1)

HKG Hong Kong International

Destination

Connect in airportLong wait

Connection

3h 10m

Cathay Pacific

CX713

9:10 AM

HKG Hong Kong International

Departure

3h

11:10 AM

BKK Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

Destination

Arrives: Thursday, Nov 12, 2015Journey duration: 28h 15m

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

They connect you JFK to Newark? :psyberger:

Here you go. $1,948 round trip (two people) with the dates you gave us.

Tue, Nov 10

9:15 am – 11:26 am
Tampa (TPA) – Washington (IAD)
United 735 · Airbus A320
Average legroom (30")
2h 11m
Wi-Fi
Stream to your device
No in-seat power
Layover in Washington IAD4h 34m

4:00 pm – 6:40 pm+1
Washington (IAD) – Beijing (PEK)
Air China 818 · Boeing 777
Above average legroom (32")
Often delayed by 30+ min
13h 40m
In-seat power
On-demand video
No Wi-Fi
Layover in Beijing PEK1h 05m

7:45 pm+1 – 11:45 pm+1
Beijing (PEK) – Bangkok (BKK)
Air China 979 · Boeing 777
Above average legroom (32")
5h 00m

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=TPA;t=BKK;d=2015-11-10;r=2015-11-24;sel=TPAIAD0UA735-IADPEK0CA818-PEKBKK1CA979;px=2

Much shorter flight time and not as many connections. I would lose my mind jumping between that many planes. If you for some reason don't want to fly Air China, ANA (Japan's national carrier) is a couple hundred more and puts you through Tokyo. Same flight time more or less. You can also interchange Delta and United and get the same flight itinerary, useful if you have miles or points with one carrier over the other. The return flight will suck a bit though, 6 hour layover in Beijing and a 3 hour in Dulles. That tends to happen with these Trans-Pacific flights though.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 4, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It would have to take a monumental amount of savings to get me to willingly connect between JFK and EWR. What a loving pain.

That's a good price though, you should take that.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

sellouts posted:

It would have to take a monumental amount of savings to get me to willingly connect between JFK and EWR. What a loving pain.

That's a good price though, you should take that.

I didn't even know there flights between JFK and EWR besides charter helicopters and things like that. Maybe its a bus transfer. That's still a huge pain in the rear end. More than two connections on any flight is really awful unless you're going to an obscure destination.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It just says "airport change" so I think you are on your own.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

That's a fate worse than death. Good luck retrieving your bags, getting out of the airport, paying for a taxi, and then working through airport security again all without 1: missing your flight 2: losing something.

Migz
Apr 27, 2006
Thanks Whip :D thats a pretty sweet find. Now hopefully my friend makes up his mind :P Hes looking at other Nov destinations now :/

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I've flown maybe like, 6 times in my life so I really have no idea what I'm doing. But my company always has a two week vacation in July (basically July 18 through August 2), and my gf has a conference (aka free hotel room) in SF the nights of July 26 through 29. I was thinking of also seeing some friend in Seattle for some time before that leg in SF --

Leg 1: NYC to Seattle, July 22ish
Leg 2: Seattle to SF, July 26ish
Return flight: SF to NYC July 30.

I found a few options $600-$650, was wondering if that was good or if there's a better way to approach this. Additionally, One version takes American/USAirways across the country and back (with Alaska between Seattle and SF), and another version is slightly more money and is Virgin America all the way. Which of those two options is "better"?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Migz posted:

Thanks Whip :D thats a pretty sweet find. Now hopefully my friend makes up his mind :P Hes looking at other Nov destinations now :/

You should hop over to the SE Asia thread if you have specific questions, but November is a really solid time to be heading to Thailand. It's not the peak tourist season yet, but the weather is still favorable. Flights and boarding will definitely be more affordable than say, December or January. A sub $1000 flight is a really good deal, you're probably not getting better than that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Turkeybone posted:

I've flown maybe like, 6 times in my life so I really have no idea what I'm doing. But my company always has a two week vacation in July (basically July 18 through August 2), and my gf has a conference (aka free hotel room) in SF the nights of July 26 through 29. I was thinking of also seeing some friend in Seattle for some time before that leg in SF --

Leg 1: NYC to Seattle, July 22ish
Leg 2: Seattle to SF, July 26ish
Return flight: SF to NYC July 30.

I found a few options $600-$650, was wondering if that was good or if there's a better way to approach this. Additionally, One version takes American/USAirways across the country and back (with Alaska between Seattle and SF), and another version is slightly more money and is Virgin America all the way. Which of those two options is "better"?

I like Virgin but it's all kind of the same. I'm jaded on economy travel, it's all the same and I don't ever use seat back IFE, I bring my own, so it all blends together.

Are Virgin's times good? The one good thing about not them is that if your flight breaks down they can reroute you pretty easily. But I haven't had many problems on Virgin to begin with.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I didn't even know there flights between JFK and EWR besides charter helicopters and things like that. Maybe its a bus transfer. That's still a huge pain in the rear end. More than two connections on any flight is really awful unless you're going to an obscure destination.

The fastest route would be Airtrain to LIRR (local commuter railroad), LIRR to NJT (another cond mmuter), then get off at Newark Airport Station, and that would be like 36 or so in fares, and the time issue is about an hour to an hour and a half of train riding.

Also, on topic, so I'm looking to do some fall tourism this year, going to Tokyo, say on the 17th of Decemeber, and returning on the 26th, from Norfolk Virginia, and the typical 1 stop flight price was around 2000 USD. Just wondering if I did the correct thing, since the flights I found changed in Atlanta.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check separate domestic/international flights.
December 26 is also a peak day for international flights leaving Japan for winter break. Try searching a week earlier or later.
Also, fall tourism in December?

BeepBoopBatman
Apr 21, 2008
I found the perfect Air Canada CLE -> NRT roundtrip flight for $860 with departure in January.

Then I made the horrible mistake of waiting til morning to buy the tickets, and during the course of the 8 hours I slept they jumped up another $418 :( Here's to hoping that goes back down sometime soon.

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013
So I'm gonna be heading over to Florida to vist my boyfriend again (so glad this long-distance thing will be over soon) (we're not breaking up; he's moving to Germany).

Origin: Hannover, Germany (HAJ)
Destination: Orlando (MCO) or Tampa (TPA), Florida

Duration of trip: Mid-September to mid-October. I'm quite flexible there. I can leave on September 7 or later (preferably until the 11th), and return October 8 or later (preferably until the 10th, but later would be okay, too).

Can you use alternate or nearby airports? Anything in Central Florida, I guess.

Do you have a specific airline preference? A non-terrible one would be nice. But I'm short, so it's easy for me to be comfortable.

Can you fly a day or two before or after your preferred travel date? see above

Time/Day of the week you leave: Preferably not at 6 am.

If the flight could be relatively short (must be under 20 hours per flight, unedr 17 would be ideal), that'd be great as well.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I know this doesn't fall into the "cheap category" but is there a better way than using a Round The World travel fare for this:

LAS-MEL-HKG-DPS-BKK-MLE-DXB-LAS

The dates are mostly flexible. Need to be in Melbourne on January 24, want to leave around Feb 1st. Ideally want to spend close to 2 weeks in Thailand and depart on the 20th or 21st. Star Alliance says $14k business class and apparently there are too many legs for One World? I'd rather do One World because I'm stuck on United for the really long portions of the flight, with One World can use BA and Cathay Pacific.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Vegas - Melbourne - Bangkok: Check using Singapore or HK as a hub + LCC flights. What is the deal with Denpasar, Maldives and Dubai on that route?

Japan: Peak Japanese travel dates for this year will be 12/23-28 for leaving Japan, and 1/3-7 for returning to Japan. If you can book outside or opposite that peak flow, you should find some normal prices ($900-1200.)

VVV Edit: Duh, it's not for you.

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 8, 2015

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

peanut posted:

Vegas - Melbourne - Bangkok: Check using Singapore or HK as a hub + LCC flights. What is the deal with Denpasar, Maldives and Dubai on that route?

Japan: Peak Japanese travel dates for this year will be 12/23-28 for leaving Japan, and 1/3-7 for returning to Japan. If you can book outside or opposite that peak flow, you should find some normal prices ($900-1200.)

The trip is something like this: After Melbourne spend 4 days in Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Bali for 5 days. Bali to Bangkok and spend 10ish days in Thailand, need to go to Chiang Mai, Phuket and Koh Samui 15th-20th. Depart Thailand for 5 days in Maldives then Dubai for 3 days before home.

There's no Japan on there.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ah, I miss these type of fares.

For One world you need to list out specific segments as that's where your violation will likely be. Also you may cross through HKG too many times depending on the days. Or have too many flights within the continent but I don't recall those rules off of the top of my head.

LAS - LAX - MEL - HKG - DPS - HKG - BKK - KUL - MLE - KUL - DXB - AMM - LHR - LAS

Also be careful as KUL - DXB only runs certain days. So if you don't pick that day it'll route you through HKG which is a violation.

DPS and MLE on the same trip -- how long are you going? I would seriously recommend dropping DPS and spending more time in MLE if you can afford it. It's such a pain in the rear end to get there.

EDIT: I see, interesting. I took a very similar trip 2 years ago. Using miles made it a real song and dance to get it. Paying cash will likely make this easier. What error is oneworld.com giving you when you try to plan it (at what part). Where are you looking at staying in MLE?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 8, 2015

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

sellouts posted:

Ah, I miss these type of fares.

For One world you need to list out specific segments as that's where your violation will likely be. Also you may cross through HKG too many times depending on the days. Or have too many flights within the continent but I don't recall those rules off of the top of my head.

LAS - LAX - MEL - HKG - DPS - HKG - BKK - KUL - MLE - KUL - DXB - AMM - LHR - LAS

Also be careful as KUL - DXB only runs certain days. So if you don't pick that day it'll route you through HKG which is a violation.

DPS and MLE on the same trip -- how long are you going? I would seriously recommend dropping DPS and spending more time in MLE if you can afford it. It's such a pain in the rear end to get there.

I was thinking about skipping Bali but I'm not sure if I'd kick myself for being in that part of the world and not going. The trip is going to total about 6 weeks. Thanks for the tip regarding segments and crossing over. One World was not letting me book for too many segments so I'm trying to navigate around it. I can also forgo Dubai for literally anywhere else in the world and wouldn't care as long as it takes me west after the Maldives.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
[quote="peanut" post="446317231"]

I did some adjustments and I found for some reason it is cheaper (1400) to go to Washington DC and fly either to Turkey (1200) or Canada (1400), or Air China (1500) or I could eat the nonstop cost at 18xx via united (that eats up all the savings of commuting to DC) but is his a typical route or is Kayak giving me strange routes.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

For Japan? That's ridiculous. Check the ANA or JAL websites directly (or even JTB USA.)

Expect something like Virginia-Seattle-Narita. Changing in Shanghai or Seoul is all right too (Seoul is better.)

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 9, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

JaySB posted:

I was thinking about skipping Bali but I'm not sure if I'd kick myself for being in that part of the world and not going. The trip is going to total about 6 weeks. Thanks for the tip regarding segments and crossing over. One World was not letting me book for too many segments so I'm trying to navigate around it. I can also forgo Dubai for literally anywhere else in the world and wouldn't care as long as it takes me west after the Maldives.

That was my problem as well when I went through OneWorld. No way to get home without stopping in Dubai. Getting into/out of the south pacific was also an issue but that's because I was on a mileage award ticket.

My trip was

LAX - HKG(connect) - KUL(stop) - SIN(stop) - SYD(stop) - AKL(stop) - HKG(stop) - DXB (stop) - AMM(connect) - LHR (stop) - DFW - (connect) - LAX

I paid cheap to go KUL - MLE - KUL roundtrip because I didn't have enough miles (within the award bucket) to make it happen. The Malaysian flight times into and out of MLE kind of really suck though, so I'd advise staying at a resort within boat distance (as opposed to seaplane) so you can get there as early as possible. I can help with recommendations if you'd like.

BeepBoopBatman
Apr 21, 2008

peanut posted:

For Japan? That's ridiculous. Check the ANA or JAL websites directly (or even JTB USA.)

Expect something like Virginia-Seattle-Narita. Changing in Shanghai or Seoul is all right too (Seoul is better.)

I'm doing some digging, but not finding much, even with the flexible dates. ANA is giving me $4k+ for two people on economy, average. Must just be a bad weekend/week for airfare, I'll give it a bit and see if it gets better. Thanks for the suggestions!

edit: quoted wrong post, but I think you get the picture.

BeepBoopBatman fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 9, 2015

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

sellouts posted:

That was my problem as well when I went through OneWorld. No way to get home without stopping in Dubai. Getting into/out of the south pacific was also an issue but that's because I was on a mileage award ticket.

My trip was

LAX - HKG(connect) - KUL(stop) - SIN(stop) - SYD(stop) - AKL(stop) - HKG(stop) - DXB (stop) - AMM(connect) - LHR (stop) - DFW - (connect) - LAX

I paid cheap to go KUL - MLE - KUL roundtrip because I didn't have enough miles (within the award bucket) to make it happen. The Malaysian flight times into and out of MLE kind of really suck though, so I'd advise staying at a resort within boat distance (as opposed to seaplane) so you can get there as early as possible. I can help with recommendations if you'd like.

Looks like I'm going LAS-LAX-MEL-HKG-BKK-CMB-MLE-DOH-BCN-LAX-LAS and it works with One World. Not too bad of a fare just under $13k. The flight from MLE to DOH kinda sucks since it's a 9am flight but I figure I can just spend the night in Male or whatever the night before if I need to.

Looking at these resorts:

Gili Lankanfushi
Como Maalifushi
Six Senses Laamu
Cheval Blanc Randheli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

JaySB posted:

Looks like I'm going LAS-LAX-MEL-HKG-BKK-CMB-MLE-DOH-BCN-LAX-LAS and it works with One World. Not too bad of a fare just under $13k. The flight from MLE to DOH kinda sucks since it's a 9am flight but I figure I can just spend the night in Male or whatever the night before if I need to.

Looking at these resorts:

Gili Lankanfushi
Como Maalifushi
Six Senses Laamu
Cheval Blanc Randheli

Just FYI, no one stays on Male, unless you really really have a good reason. There's a great deal of unrest right now around the government and its not a particularly great time to be a westerner lurking around the capital island. Also there's nothing worth seeing. I guess the government buildings and the markets, but again you're likely to deal with protestors (especially around the gov buildings) and people that are not keen towards westerners.

There's a decent hotel on the airport island, Hulhule Island Hotel. You can get a "day rate" which lets you just hang out at their property and use the facilities (pool, gym, locker room/shower, restaurants) or you can get a room. Most people come off of their resort island the morning of their flight and then just hang around. They'll shuttle you to the airport, it's like five minutes down the road. Ignore me, didn't see you said 9am flight.

Also, your resort can definitely run you off your particular island in the early AM for your flight via speedboat. Unless you're staying at one of the more far out isles that requires a seaplane to access.