Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

pig slut lisa posted:

Would you leave a day early to save $300?

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Aside from the guy that posted the CX flight below, BKK is super well served by LCCs so maybe check Google flights for the cheapest destination in SE Asia and then Air Asia etc from there to BKK?

I ended up going with leaving a day before and got myself on that JAL flight for $1058. I was looking into the Cathay Pacific one a little, and I'd have to pay $200 on top of that to pick my own seat, which is kind of a thing for me since on long flights I like to get up and stretch n poo poo kind of often. I'm pretty content with only going over my budget by $58 for this ticket either way.

Funny thing is, I found out after I bought the JAL tickets that I'm only allowed to pick a seat within 24 hours of departure, and not at the time of purchase. Meh. As long as I get that sweet sweet aisle, I'm golden.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FaceEater posted:

I ended up going with leaving a day before and got myself on that JAL flight for $1058. I was looking into the Cathay Pacific one a little, and I'd have to pay $200 on top of that to pick my own seat, which is kind of a thing for me since on long flights I like to get up and stretch n poo poo kind of often. I'm pretty content with only going over my budget by $58 for this ticket either way.

Funny thing is, I found out after I bought the JAL tickets that I'm only allowed to pick a seat within 24 hours of departure, and not at the time of purchase. Meh. As long as I get that sweet sweet aisle, I'm golden.

Thanks!

FWIW this is how it works with that fare class in Cathay Pacific, except you get to pick 48 hours beforehand (I think). They don't do a good job explaining that though, I found that out through experience.

Also we didn't have any trouble finding two seats together with one on the aisle, so I'm guessing you'll be fine as well so long as you catch the signup period on the early side.

In any event congrats on finding something that works for you :toot:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Origin: STL (if push comes to shove I could drive up to ORD or MDW, but I'd much prefer to start at home--in other words, the deal has to make it worth the drive to Chicago)

Destination: AUS

Duration of trip with dates: October 16-19

Flexibility: I could potentially leave a day later, but this is for a sports tournament with block-booked hotels (the US Australian Rules Football National Championships) and I'd have to book another room separate from the team block/rent a different car for one extra day, which might cancel out any savings.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Australia is in fact a big country with multiple airports that will have a price difference, since it's AFL I assume you want Melbourne?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm guessing he is referring to Austin, given it's the US Australian Rules Football championship.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

PT6A posted:

I'm guessing he is referring to Austin, given it's the US Australian Rules Football championship.

This is correct.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Urgh, sorry. I really can't read good.

Migz
Apr 27, 2006
So I found a flight I want to book on google flights and at the ending is just asking me to call air china to book. I call them and they have no idea what google flights is? what gives.. how do I book this flight lol.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Migz posted:

So I found a flight I want to book on google flights and at the ending is just asking me to call air china to book. I call them and they have no idea what google flights is? what gives.. how do I book this flight lol.

You have to give them the info you get on Google flights ie. the flight number, date and time.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Migz posted:

Google is not a booking engine, it's a search engine. You have to contact an airline (or travel agent) to actually book the flights. In this particular case, calling Air China is probably not going to give you a great price and you should be able to book nearly anything online. Google won't give you a link if it doesn't have a partner that will book directly for you, b ut that doesn't mean it can't be done online. If you care to post your itinerary, I can (probably) find a booking site that will work for you.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In April, most likely flying out on April 1st and heading back on April 4th, I'll be in a group of 21 people flying from Calgary (YYC) to Montreal (YUL). The exact dates and even destination won't be set in stone for a couple months, and the availability of individuals might not be available until very close to April. What kind of bulk deals are available from airlines? Is it possible that chartering a plane could reduce costs, especially given that another ~40 people from Vancouver and ~20 from Edmonton will be coming?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Chamale posted:

In April, most likely flying out on April 1st and heading back on April 4th, I'll be in a group of 21 people flying from Calgary (YYC) to Montreal (YUL). The exact dates and even destination won't be set in stone for a couple months, and the availability of individuals might not be available until very close to April. What kind of bulk deals are available from airlines? Is it possible that chartering a plane could reduce costs, especially given that another ~40 people from Vancouver and ~20 from Edmonton will be coming?

Chartering is wildly expensive, generally speaking. You'd be better off buying seats as you have confirmed travelers. You could contact Air Canada (or Porter or WestJet) and see if they would do something group travel wise, but I doubt there are any significant discounts to be had there.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
So I have a price alert set up for ORD<->LHR. I've found a pretty sweet flight, perfect times, etc, for $970. Is there any reason whatsoever to wait beyond this week's payday to grab this? The flights in question are BA 294 on Oct 22 out, and BA 295 on Nov 7 back.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Transoceanic for $1000 or less, jump on that poo poo!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Golbez posted:

So I have a price alert set up for ORD<->LHR. I've found a pretty sweet flight, perfect times, etc, for $970. Is there any reason whatsoever to wait beyond this week's payday to grab this? The flights in question are BA 294 on Oct 22 out, and BA 295 on Nov 7 back.

Book that poo poo. Normally I would say wait until after Labor Day but I haven't seen any significant price decreases after that point over the last couple of years for major European destinations like LHR.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

Any New Mexico goons that can help me out? I've traveling to Santa Fe from Ottawa so I can present a conference paper in the fall. I can save $300 by flying in and out of Albuquerque instead of the Santa Fe airport. Is it hard/expensive to get from one city to another? Is Santa Fe small enough I can walk from one area to another with relative ease? There is a shuttle from Santa Fe to the hotel I am staying at (which appears to be in the middle of nowhere on a Pueblo reserve) but I am anxious about trying to align train/shuttle/flight times or getting lost in a place where I don't know anyone. Also, I have no experience with public transit in the US and my phone won't have service there so if I get lost it will be hilarious.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Phisty posted:

Any New Mexico goons that can help me out? I've traveling to Santa Fe from Ottawa so I can present a conference paper in the fall. I can save $300 by flying in and out of Albuquerque instead of the Santa Fe airport. Is it hard/expensive to get from one city to another? Is Santa Fe small enough I can walk from one area to another with relative ease? There is a shuttle from Santa Fe to the hotel I am staying at (which appears to be in the middle of nowhere on a Pueblo reserve) but I am anxious about trying to align train/shuttle/flight times or getting lost in a place where I don't know anyone. Also, I have no experience with public transit in the US and my phone won't have service there so if I get lost it will be hilarious.

Yeah, Albuqurque has an actual airport; Santa Fe is a smaller town that is about 40 miles away. There is no train service or anything even remotely like usable public transport in this area. You will absolutely need a car to get around no matter what airport you choose to fly into.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I've flown into and out of ABQ several times, and rented a car there; it's easy, and the highway system makes it extremely easy to get from the airport out of town (and back). Hop on the interstate and take I-25 up to Santa Fe. However, also keep in mind that the Rail Runner commuter rail system runs between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, and depending on where your destinations are in Santa Fe, that may be quite convenient. (Though, in their wisdom, it doesn't run directly to the airport; there's a shuttle linking with a couple of stations)

Santa Fe is about 60,000 people, so not small enough unless everything you want is in one neighborhood. There's a bus system at least, and taxis, and it looks like Uber is available in Santa Fe.

However, then we get to this: "Middle of nowhere on a Pueblo reserve"? In New Mexico, "middle of nowhere" becomes much more relative. (For a few months I lived 100 miles north of Santa Fe; THAT is middle of nowhere.) Which reserve? Knowing which helps me give advice.

Not surprising you're saving a ton of money by flying into ABQ; Santa Fe only got jet service a few years ago (Thanks for running for president, Governor Richardson!) and even now only has service to three cities (two come September).

Edit: Okay, I went back to reread what you wrote... your main concern is getting from ABQ to wherever in Santa Fe the shuttle is. That I would think is possible; Road Runner can get you to Santa Fe and, depending on where the shuttle leaves from, that might be enough, but if not, there'll be buses and taxis to link between the two.

(Still curious over which pueblo!)

Golbez fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 13, 2015

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

I'm flying from Toronto to NYC mid-October, all the airlines are about the same at the moment: around 200 eurobux.

Two questions: which is the most convenient airport in New York to fly into/out of? I have only ever flown into JFK.

And second, the difference between the different airlines on offer.
The bigger ones (Air Canada, Delta, etc.) I am more or less familiar with, but TAM Linhas Aéreas and Westjet, I have never seen. I assume these are LCCs that will tack on stupid fees?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Westjet is fine, they're Canada's second biggest airline, they'll charge the same as Air Canada for things for the most part, but they'll be more friendly about it.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
There aren't any true LCCs in Canada, though all the big airlines have stupid fees now too. I don't know how you found a TAM flight that isn't a codeshare. Porter airlines may be of interest to you since they fly from Toronto city centre airport.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Thanks guys!

The TAM one might be a code share, I haven't looked into it further. I wasn't even aware there was an airport in Toronto city proper, that might save me a trek back out to YYZ.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
That TAM flight is the real deal on JFK-YYZ and return, part of TAM's fifth freedom offerings. It would be an interesting way to grab a new carrier that you may not have tried before if you're into that sort of thing. And the easy level of any of the NYC airports depends entirely upon where you're going in the area, I think.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Yeah, looking at it the TAM flight is the cheapest and most convenient since I was advised against flying into Newark because of the distance.

170 euro funbux, pretty good!

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Cool, did not know that. I remember seeing a true AC flight between Santiago and Buenos Aires that made me do a double take as well.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

spoof posted:

Cool, did not know that. I remember seeing a true AC flight between Santiago and Buenos Aires that made me do a double take as well.

Indeed; I've also flown between Rio and Sao Paulo on United.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jossos posted:

Yeah, looking at it the TAM flight is the cheapest and most convenient since I was advised against flying into Newark because of the distance.

170 euro funbux, pretty good!

I'd also fly TAM, but EWR is fine as an airport. I don't live in NYC so I don't have the latest info but I dislike JFKs terminals system and the airtrain->subway connection requires a change and then an uncomfortable subway ride whereas from EWR there's a train that goes direct and was ok from what I remember

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I'd also fly TAM, but EWR is fine as an airport. I don't live in NYC so I don't have the latest info but I dislike JFKs terminals system and the airtrain->subway connection requires a change and then an uncomfortable subway ride whereas from EWR there's a train that goes direct and was ok from what I remember

It seemed perfectly doable to me as well, but the friend I am staying with said to not go with EWR under any circumstance.

Not a massive fan of how to transfer put pf JFK myself, but oh well :v:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Not so much. The air train connects all the terminals at JFK I believe, so there is no issue there. EWR has an air train that does the same thing.

Jossos posted:

It seemed perfectly doable to me as well, but the friend I am staying with said to not go with EWR under any circumstance.

Not a massive fan of how to transfer put pf JFK myself, but oh well :v:

EWR is fine and connections to the city are readily available; your friend's opinion is bullshit.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Jossos posted:

I'm flying from Toronto to NYC mid-October, all the airlines are about the same at the moment: around 200 eurobux.

If you're actually going to be in Toronto vs connecting, look at Porter airlines. They fly out of Billy Bishop airport which is on a small island a short (121m) ferry ride (or walk now; I think they opened the pedestrian tunnel with moving walkways) out of downtown Toronto and they fly to EWR. From EWR the monorail that moves between the terminals and the parking area also hits a train station, and from there you can take NJ Transit to Penn Station in Manhattan.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Has anyone booked through eDreams before? I guess their gimmick is that they combine different airlines for the legs of your trip. Right now I'm trying to book a flight from Quito, Ecuador, to Mexico City around Oct 24 and then on to Orlando in early-mid December. Delta has fares for $590 - $615. eDreams combines airlines to make a fare for $485. A Lanecuador flight takes me to Lima on Oct 24, for an overnight layover. Then its a flight to Mexico on Lan Peru. Then on Dec. 9, I would have a direct flight to Orlando on AeroMexico.

I've read some bad reviews of eDreams, that after booking with them, the actual airline somehow didn't receive any information and doesn't have any booking for the passenger. This is especially worrying since I'd be on two different airlines (or three, if you want to count the LAN companies seperately). So I dunno. But it is a lot of savings. Any thoughts?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Geriatric Pirate posted:

You can also skip the subway entirely. From the Jamaica airtrain station you can get on the LIRR and get to Manhattan in a fraction of the time but it'll cost you a couple extra bucks ($10 maybe?). I used to work at JFK until a couple years ago and this is my preferred way to get to the city from the airport.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Has anyone booked through eDreams before? I guess their gimmick is that they combine different airlines for the legs of your trip. Right now I'm trying to book a flight from Quito, Ecuador, to Mexico City around Oct 24 and then on to Orlando in early-mid December. Delta has fares for $590 - $615. eDreams combines airlines to make a fare for $485. A Lanecuador flight takes me to Lima on Oct 24, for an overnight layover. Then its a flight to Mexico on Lan Peru. Then on Dec. 9, I would have a direct flight to Orlando on AeroMexico.

I've read some bad reviews of eDreams, that after booking with them, the actual airline somehow didn't receive any information and doesn't have any booking for the passenger. This is especially worrying since I'd be on two different airlines (or three, if you want to count the LAN companies seperately). So I dunno. But it is a lot of savings. Any thoughts?

Sounds like they've basically made a business out of selling unprotected connections on carriers that may or may not interline. That is one way to do it, I suppose, but the passenger takes on a bunch of risk in this scenario. If you plan to check a bag, you may have to claim and recheck at each connection depending on the baggage interline agreements that each airline has. Also, if one flight is delayed or canceled, the carrier of your next segment has no details about that and the carrier with the issue has no contractual requirement to get you to your ultimate destination because each carrier is only aware of the specific segments that you're flying with them on. If everything goes perfectly, then you're fine. If something goes wrong, the entire trip is tits up and you're going to be shelling out some significant cash to resolve the issue. It's a personal judgement, but I don't think it's worth it for anyone but the most experienced traveler on a purely leisure trip.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

fordan posted:

If you're actually going to be in Toronto vs connecting, look at Porter airlines. They fly out of Billy Bishop airport which is on a small island a short (121m) ferry ride (or walk now; I think they opened the pedestrian tunnel with moving walkways) out of downtown Toronto and they fly to EWR. From EWR the monorail that moves between the terminals and the parking area also hits a train station, and from there you can take NJ Transit to Penn Station in Manhattan.

Take the ferry! It's fun! Everything about flying Porter is fun, actually. I love their little raccoon :3:

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mackieman posted:

Sounds like they've basically made a business out of selling unprotected connections on carriers that may or may not interline. That is one way to do it, I suppose, but the passenger takes on a bunch of risk in this scenario. If you plan to check a bag, you may have to claim and recheck at each connection depending on the baggage interline agreements that each airline has. Also, if one flight is delayed or canceled, the carrier of your next segment has no details about that and the carrier with the issue has no contractual requirement to get you to your ultimate destination because each carrier is only aware of the specific segments that you're flying with them on. If everything goes perfectly, then you're fine. If something goes wrong, the entire trip is tits up and you're going to be shelling out some significant cash to resolve the issue. It's a personal judgement, but I don't think it's worth it for anyone but the most experienced traveler on a purely leisure trip.

It's nowhere near as risky or difficult as you make it out to be, with some obvious exceptions like rare routes or something like that. Just make sure layovers are long enough (can be uncomfortable though) and travel insurance can help with missed connections, especially something like Amex's travel insurance which has been really good (never missed a flight connection but my brother got a fully paid for new ticket after his bus to the airport broke down). In this guys case, there doesn't even seem to be an unprotected connection - the LAN airlines should interline, there's a whole night and then a loooong time until a separate AeroMexico flight.

If sleeping at the airport isn't worth $150 of discomfort, it could easily be worth it.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
Origin: SFO (could also include SJC or OAK)

Destination: New Zealand - probably eventually staying in Dunedin and traveling around, but we could fly into any airport.

Duration of trip with dates: ~December 20 - Jan 3

Flexibility: +/- 2 days on either end - could be more, depending on how much of a deal that nets.

We have a free/cheap place to stay in Dunedin, which makes traveling to NZ very appealing, but lately flights have been looking HELLA expensive. A buddy got ~$1000 rt flights for his September trip, so I was hoping somebody could find something on the cheaper side for December.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

firebad57 posted:

Origin: SFO (could also include SJC or OAK)

Destination: New Zealand - probably eventually staying in Dunedin and traveling around, but we could fly into any airport.

Duration of trip with dates: ~December 20 - Jan 3

Flexibility: +/- 2 days on either end - could be more, depending on how much of a deal that nets.

We have a free/cheap place to stay in Dunedin, which makes traveling to NZ very appealing, but lately flights have been looking HELLA expensive. A buddy got ~$1000 rt flights for his September trip, so I was hoping somebody could find something on the cheaper side for December.

There are $1100 rates before and after your window, but none during that time. The best I saw was around $1900 for December 18 - January 1.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, your buddy's travelling in between seasons (ski season is heading towards its end in September but summer hasn't quite started yet) while you're trying to go over Christmas. Without a bigger window (taking your flights outside of that peak Christmas travel time) it's going to be expensive.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can anyone check loads on emirates? Just curious to see how even the seat map looks before I book a flight

I doubt the fare will go on sale but eh. Very pricy as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

Can anyone check loads on emirates? Just curious to see how even the seat map looks before I book a flight

I doubt the fare will go on sale but eh. Very pricy as is.

Expert Flyer has Emirates fare bucket availability.