Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Secretflying is the best if you care about dirt cheap tickets but don't care to where or when. Just list your nearest major airport and it will give you updates on super deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I just futzed around with a few of the deals they listed. Not kidding, those things sell out fast. Stuff 2 days old I couldn't find at all

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yea airline tickets can be very finicky. If you see a good deal it very likely will be gone the next time you come around. Or you buy the tickets and they drop even more the next week. That's generally what happens to me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you see a fare entirely on American go to aa.com, log into aa frequent flyer. Go through booking process and choose hold as payment type. You get 24 hours to book it at that price.

Rinse and repeat each day until you know you want to book or the price goes up.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Grrr, I'm not sure who to blame for this, but Google Flights is listing United flights that include legs on other partner airlines that United doesn't codeshare with. You can book them on United.com, but United then has to get the other airline to ticket the leg, and if they don't, the ticket isn't issued. So I found a great fare and I can't actually buy it.

Apparently the red flag is if the only way to book a flight is on united.com, not on Travelocity/Expedia etc.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 8, 2016

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Want to fly from the upper midwest (preferably Chicago but Minneapolis works) to London for a week. Dates completely flexible, starting any time, for a trip of 10-11 days. We thought tickets would be cheap but, at least for the next few months, they're all $900+ unless we want to transfer through Istanbul, which.... a bit out of the way.

Any tips? When we did this last year it was $970 and I was really hoping Brexit would help us out on exchange rate and prices.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 9, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Golbez posted:

Want to fly from the upper midwest (preferably Chicago but Minneapolis works) to London for a week. Dates completely flexible, starting any time, for a trip of 10-11 days. We thought tickets would be cheap but, at least for the next few months, they're all $900+ unless we want to transfer through Istanbul, which.... a bit out of the way.

Any tips? When we did this last year it was $970 and I was really hoping Brexit would help us out on exchange rate and prices.

http://goo.gl/flights/PzWt

$790/PP ORD -> LHR via DUB on Aer Lingus. Leave end of September come back mid October.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Great powerful Flight Wizards, I'm going to be taking regular flights to an from Chicago(ORD) and Seattle(SEA) at least twice a month for the next year. I just scored a 58$ one each way and feel I could possibly do better if I know the airlines incantations. I'm super flexible with times, and frankly quite like flying. Layovers are never a problem, and as long as I plan my flight well I never feel like wasted time.

What odd time of the week should I look for? Signs of this time? I remember doing Long Beach to Seattle regularly and there was always one flight that ran at an odd time that was like half cost. I'm sure there was a reason that I'm not privy to.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

BlueBlazer posted:

Great powerful Flight Wizards, I'm going to be taking regular flights to an from Chicago(ORD) and Seattle(SEA) at least twice a month for the next year. I just scored a 58$ one each way and feel I could possibly do better if I know the airlines incantations. I'm super flexible with times, and frankly quite like flying. Layovers are never a problem, and as long as I plan my flight well I never feel like wasted time.

What odd time of the week should I look for? Signs of this time? I remember doing Long Beach to Seattle regularly and there was always one flight that ran at an odd time that was like half cost. I'm sure there was a reason that I'm not privy to.

Sounds like Spirit. Only fools fly Spirit.

That said, that's a great fare and you should book as many of those as your schedule allows. I doubt you're going to find it cheaper than that pretty much ever. Lower prices for shittier times is usually a function of demand; that is never a hard and fast rule, though. Pricing is always market-specific and it will fluctuate. If you find fares you like, buy as many as possible for your schedule.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Mackieman posted:

Sounds like Spirit. Only fools fly Spirit.

That said, that's a great fare and you should book as many of those as your schedule allows. I doubt you're going to find it cheaper than that pretty much ever. Lower prices for shittier times is usually a function of demand; that is never a hard and fast rule, though. Pricing is always market-specific and it will fluctuate. If you find fares you like, buy as many as possible for your schedule.

I flew Frontier once and regretted every minute. The tray was small, in a way to tell you "fyck you cramped human in our hell tubes."

United is an actual airline last I checked. Sometimes they take pity on me and I get an exit row.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The Cheap Airfare thread: Never Fly Spirit

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

If you're willing to do MDW instead of ORD, Southwest has several flights a day (including 3-4 directs) that can often be found for > $100. Additionally, if you aren't averse to signing up for a credit card, the Chase Southwest cards with the 50,000 bonus are good for 6-8 one ways on that route.

E: by way of example, I am flying MDW-SEA on Friday 9/30 for 5,685 points, which works out to $90 or so. I originally booked at 7,359 points but rebooked at the lower fare for free thanks to Southwest's generous change policy. This is a direct flight in the middle of the day.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 17, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

BlueBlazer posted:

feel I could possibly do better if I know the airlines incantations. I'm super flexible with times, and frankly quite like flying. Layovers are never a problem, and as long as I plan my flight well I never feel like wasted time.

I'm sure there was a reason that I'm not privy to.

Good luck with that. The whole point is that you don't know and there are no hard and fast rules.

Flying that often you'll see why layovers can be a problem when you waste 60% of your weekend after a connecting flight goes down for maintenance and then the rebooked flight is delayed a day because the inbound plane is stuck in a hail storm 3 hours away.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Flying becomes a lot less fun the more you do it. The romanticism and mystique goes flying out the window when you're stuck in Charlotte Mecklenburg waiting for a snowstorm to pass your destination and you're begging every airline in the airport to get you somewhere close.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
On the other hand it can be a great way to get over a fear of flying; I once flew YVR ->AKL -> ZQN -> BNE -> CBR -> ZQN -> BNE -> ZQN -> AKL -> YVR over the course of about three weeks and towards the end of it I was just too tired to be afraid. When I next got on a plane a year later, all my fear was gone.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Flying becomes a lot less fun the more you do it. The romanticism and mystique goes flying out the window when you're stuck in Charlotte Mecklenburg waiting for a snowstorm to pass your destination and you're begging every airline in the airport to get you somewhere close.

These situations are the nice part about living in Charlotte.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mackieman posted:

These situations are the nice part about living in Charlotte.

I say this with all sincerity:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ok so I'm flying in to Fort Lauderdale from Denver in January. I know not to ever ever fly Spirit, it's even mentioned on this page! It's $500 cheaper....talk me out of it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Grem posted:

Ok so I'm flying in to Fort Lauderdale from Denver in January. I know not to ever ever fly Spirit, it's even mentioned on this page! It's $500 cheaper....talk me out of it.

Check Southwest, as of a day or two ago they were running a sale and I had a number of friends booking flights out of Denver into FL for a Jan cruise we're all doing.

I'll quote my previous post on Spirit:

fordan posted:

When Spirit works it's cheap (if you can manage to avoid all the fees) and it gets you there.

When things go wrong you can be in for a huge world of pain. If you hit traffic and miss the cutoff, you're buying a new ticket. They have a mechanical issue: you're possibly sitting around for days waiting for an open seat on a future flight along with everyone else who got cancelled. And no, they aren't putting you on a different airline nor are they paying for a hotel. Had a friend have to buy herself a last-minute $800 ticket to get home after Spirit thought she missed her outbound flight (she didn't) and cancelled her return flight. She was looking at small claims court to try and get that back except you have to sue them down where their headquarters is around Fort Lauderdale and there are stories on the Internet that they will send a lawyer and countersue for legal fees.

The downsides might be worth the cheap price to someone who can cope with the potential issues (has someplace to stay at both ends of the trip and no fixed schedule to get home), but I have to think 90+% of the people flying Spirit have no idea and went "oooh, cheapest."

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Grem posted:

I picked randomly and United was 333.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I say this with all sincerity:

Haha, indeed. It's not my favorite airport either; I was much happier with AUS but alas, had to move for work. Don't feel too badly about your US/AA experience though; given that I usually fly UA, they outsourced their ground staff to DGS (Delta Ground Services) so UA takes hind tit for all ops. All the DL flights go out before the UA flights are worked, including baggage offloads. They even stole the tow bar from a UA gate to push a DL flight. I regularly wait 20 minutes upon landing for there to be ground grew to marshal the aircraft into the gate. It's a shitshow.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Charlotte is right up there with IAH and ORD on the short list of airports that make me want to throw myself out the emergency hatch. Laguardia is on its own level though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You've obviously never been to LAX.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

East coast bias up in this bitch

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
As far as Mexican airlines go which ones should I avoid and check out? I'm thinking about a future trip to Oaxaca for their Guelaguetza fest next July (yea I know too far out for real prices). Looking at Kayak it's cheaper for me to fly into Mexico City and catch a local, but I've never booked outside of the majors of AA/SW/UA/Delta.

Or should I avoid the MEX airport and fly into a less busy one to get through customs quicker?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 20, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

HookShot posted:

You've obviously never been to LAX.

Lax is great. Tom Bradley terminal has good food. They have security side access from T4. T6 is also connected via t4 all without leaving security. Aside from southwest and early mornings security, especially pre check, is awesome. Also almost never weather delays. And uberx pickups and drop offs are easy.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sellouts posted:

Lax is great. Tom Bradley terminal has good food. They have security side access from T4. T6 is also connected via t4 all without leaving security. Aside from southwest and early mornings security, especially pre check, is awesome. Also almost never weather delays. And uberx pickups and drop offs are easy.

You've obviously never had to spend any time in the domestic terminals at all.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

As I mentioned T4 and T6 are great now.

Free wifi, border grill is passable, they have vegetarian options as well, short queues for security after 9a (and always with pre check), I think T6 is getting Lemonade or something? And the walkways connecting terminals means you don't have to clear security between 4 and 6.

Yeah I dunno man. I guess the shuttle to the eagles nest is a pain but both ORD and JFK (where I was this week) feel like it's further walk to the gates. And jfk had their escalators down which would have been a pain for anyone with small children.

Virgins terminal at lax is pretty lovely but they are doing work on it. Haven't flown United or delta in a decade. But lax is home base for me and it performs very well and is much better than 4-5 years ago.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 21, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I always go through LAX/TB at night and all the Asia flights arrive/depart at the same time in the same block of gates. All the shops are closed and the toilets are far away. Bilingual signage is non-existent.

One good thing: LAX let me re-check my baggage at TB after immigration so I didn't have to drag it all the way to T2.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Charlotte is right up there with IAH and ORD on the short list of airports that make me want to throw myself out the emergency hatch. Laguardia is on its own level though.

What bothers you about IAH? I've only been through there twice, but each time it was appreciably better than flying through ORD or DFW for me. Very easy to get across, not a convoluted layout, decent restaurants, Shiner Bock, etc.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheese eats mouse posted:

As far as Mexican airlines go which ones should I avoid and check out? I'm thinking about a future trip to Oaxaca for their Guelaguetza fest next July (yea I know too far out for real prices). Looking at Kayak it's cheaper for me to fly into Mexico City and catch a local, but I've never booked outside of the majors of AA/SW/UA/Delta.

Or should I avoid the MEX airport and fly into a less busy one to get through customs quicker?

I've only been to MEX once and didn't have a problem. Big airports can be better than small ones, because small ones will have a long line every time a flight comes in whereas with big ones they're busy when three A380s come in but not otherwise. Fly Interjet to try out to the Sukhoi Superjet

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Bigger airports usually mean lower prices thanks to higher competition and route availability, but since you know when and where you want to go, start watching prices and set some alerts at Google Flights.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PT6A posted:

What bothers you about IAH? I've only been through there twice, but each time it was appreciably better than flying through ORD or DFW for me. Very easy to get across, not a convoluted layout, decent restaurants, Shiner Bock, etc.

Indeed, IAH is miles better than ORD and all but the newest terminals at DFW. Plus it has Whataburger, Pappadeauxs, and, later this year, a Chick-fil-A. They did give up a Shipley's unfortunately but sacrifices must be made.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mackieman posted:

Indeed, IAH is miles better than ORD and all but the newest terminals at DFW. Plus it has Whataburger, Pappadeauxs, and, later this year, a Chick-fil-A. They did give up a Shipley's unfortunately but sacrifices must be made.

Pappadeaux's is loving awesome, I think the next connections I have in IAH may be too short to eat there thought :smith:

(in case anyone is interested, CAD$1300 round-trip business class YYC-FLL on United... I was fairly pleased)

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I haven't been through IAH since everything was being renovated, so that probably has my opinion soured. I'm going through there in a couple weeks so I'll update my airport hot takes then.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Is this where we can share how horrible PHX is? (also, props for no one bringing up ATL, I dunno if it's a sign of maturity for not going for the easy target)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Golbez posted:

Is this where we can share how horrible PHX is? (also, props for no one bringing up ATL, I dunno if it's a sign of maturity for not going for the easy target)

The city or the airport? I suppose it could be either because both are dogshit.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I got a last minute room at DragonCon, trying to fly roundtrip from ORD or MDW -> ATL from 9/1 (arrive around 12-3 PM) - 9/5 (Leave after 12 PM). My options outside of budget airlines appear to be Delta (ORD), United (ORD), and Southwest (MDW). Pricing doesn't seem to be ideal due to the timing, and the best I have so far is a United $167 roundtrip fare currently being tracked on Google Flights (down $20 from $187 last time I checked). Any chances of me improving things here?

At least I can take MARTA from the airport to the downtown hotelplex @ Peachtree Station instead of having to rent a car.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I'm not seeing anything that fits your parameters. Keep in mind as your flexibility decreases so do your options. If you want certain arrival and departure times you're pretty much at the mercy of the airline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Tatsujin posted:

I got a last minute room at DragonCon, trying to fly roundtrip from ORD or MDW -> ATL from 9/1 (arrive around 12-3 PM) - 9/5 (Leave after 12 PM). My options outside of budget airlines appear to be Delta (ORD), United (ORD), and Southwest (MDW). Pricing doesn't seem to be ideal due to the timing, and the best I have so far is a United $167 roundtrip fare currently being tracked on Google Flights (down $20 from $187 last time I checked). Any chances of me improving things here?

At least I can take MARTA from the airport to the downtown hotelplex @ Peachtree Station instead of having to rent a car.

$167 round trip is loving cheap and should be booked immediately. Hell, $187 is cheap too.