Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A better deal than 167 round trip Chicago to Atlanta 2 weeks in front of Labor Day. Good grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
I'm looking to fly a 3 leg trip the last week of October. I need tickets for 2 adults

The start is Boston, the two other cities are salt lake city and San Francisco.

Leave Boston for SLC: 10/21
Leave SLC for San Francisco: 10/26-10/27
Leave San Francisco for Boston: 10/30, and I have to be back by 8pm or so.

I prefer jet blue or delta, but not married to them. Direct flights greatly preferred.

I don't think I understand how to search for cheap fares. I mostly just tried out Delta and Jet blue and got fares around 800 per person. Can it get cheaper?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
A quick ITA matrix search shows $476pp with United/Alaska.

If you leave the 29th instead of the 30th you can do JetBlue for $425.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

sellouts posted:

A better deal than 167 round trip Chicago to Atlanta 2 weeks in front of Labor Day. Good grief.

Lol. Can you even drive Chicago -> Atlanta -> Chicago for $167? If you can I'm willing to bet it's pretty close if you're driving an average car and not depriving yourself of food.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This is why we have increasingly poo poo airlines with no legroom or any kind of service. Sure, people will complain, and then they'll try to save $10 on an already incredibly reasonable fare and put themselves through hell to do it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I blame all of these "lifehack" bullshit websites that tout their ability to drop X fare or Y tax from their ticket price and get from JFK to SYD for $200 and a ball of lint. It really skews the average consumer's barometer for what a good price is on a flight, especially when they're not flying with any regularity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I blame all of these "lifehack" bullshit websites that tout their ability to drop X fare or Y tax from their ticket price and get from JFK to SYD for $200 and a ball of lint. It really skews the average consumer's barometer for what a good price is on a flight, especially when they're not flying with any regularity.

Yeah, I got a flight for 50,000 aeroplan miles, round trip YYC-YYZ with two weeks notice, and I'm fairly happy (I'm guessing that's the equivalent of around $500-800, which is comparable to WestJet's fare on that route). I'd be amazed if I could find anything under $400, ever. Canadian airfare is poo poo, but I don't think it's more than twice as much as what airfare "should" be.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Lol. Can you even drive Chicago -> Atlanta -> Chicago for $167? If you can I'm willing to bet it's pretty close if you're driving an average car and not depriving yourself of food.

It's about break even for a car that gets 25mpg and if gas is 2.50 (I live in CA so I pay closer to 3). Should also include half an oil change. And doesn't include the time you'd spend doing it (11 hrs each way).

Sometimes I wonder if people are just flat missing the barometer for "I just can't afford to do this right now".

Now I want to see the fare breakdown to see how much of that are the various taxes and fees.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
Thanks guys, booked at $176.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fare for 1 adult 9/1-9/5
Fare 1: Carrier AA Q0ALZNN3 CHI to ATL (rules) Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code Q Covers ORD-ATL (Economy) $50.23
Fare 2: Carrier AA Q0ALZNN3 ATL to CHI (rules) Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code Q Covers ATL-ORD (Economy) -$50.23
US Transportation Tax (US) - $7.54
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) -$11.20
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) - $9.00
US Flight Segment Tax (ZP) - $8.00
Subtotal per passenger $136.20

So yeah. The actual fare for the flight is less than my Uber from the LES to Barclays center.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

John Wayne might be my new favorite airport. Nice facilities, security was a breeze, and easy traffic flows in and out. A++

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
So I'm looking at RT flights from RDU -> FRA in December. I need to use Delta for reasons and everything has been around $1200. Today I realized that flights from JFK--> FRA (I'd be connecting thru JFK anyway) are only $600 RT. A RT flight to JFK from here is $166. So I'd be saving a ton by booking separate tickets -- in fact it seems almost too good to be true.

What are the drawbacks to this? I have enough time to allow for a long layover both ways just in case of delays, etc. It's a huge hassle to retrieve bags and then go through security/ check in again at JFK but it's definitely worth the savings.

Is there a possibility that when I check in here at RDU that they would check our bags all the way to FRA even though the tickets are separate?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

electricHyena posted:

So I'm looking at RT flights from RDU -> FRA in December. I need to use Delta for reasons and everything has been around $1200. Today I realized that flights from JFK--> FRA (I'd be connecting thru JFK anyway) are only $600 RT. A RT flight to JFK from here is $166. So I'd be saving a ton by booking separate tickets -- in fact it seems almost too good to be true.

What are the drawbacks to this? I have enough time to allow for a long layover both ways just in case of delays, etc. It's a huge hassle to retrieve bags and then go through security/ check in again at JFK but it's definitely worth the savings.

Is there a possibility that when I check in here at RDU that they would check our bags all the way to FRA even though the tickets are separate?

The only drawback is that if you end up with a ridiculously long delay in RDU for whatever reason and miss your flight you're SOL.

No, there is virtually zero chance that they will check your bags all the way to FRA.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

electricHyena posted:

It comes down to how much risk you're willing to take on and how much your time is worth to save -400ish dollars. Since they're separate tickets they're not going to check your bags all the way through, so you'll have to claim your bags and re-enter through security. If you get held up by anything at all you're SOL as Delta has no responsibility for you missing your flight in that circumstance. Coming back in from FRA will be a pain too because you'll have to go through customs as usual and then go through the process of checking back in.

So you'll need to cook in enough time in between the flights to account for all of that. I'm generally not of the mind to risk such things when it comes to international travel, but that's just me.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Some airlines (American is the one I know of) will let you check bags through and will rebook you in the event of delays/cancellation with multiple reservations (on their or other OneWorld flights in AA's case), but it's not an automatic process like it is for someone traveling on a single reservation. Also while American says they'll do this to American or other OneWorld partners, the OneWorld partners (at least the big ones like British Airways and Cathay Pacific) won't do it in return so it mostly becomes an AA-only benefit.

I don't know Delta's policy, but my assumption would be no through-checking and no protection unless you can find evidence to the contrary.

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
Thanks for the advice. I'm not much of a risk-taker usually and I stress out a *lot* so I probably won't end up doing it. I might give Delta a call though just to see if I can get any more info.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

electricHyena posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm not much of a risk-taker usually and I stress out a *lot* so I probably won't end up doing it. I might give Delta a call though just to see if I can get any more info.

I would do it. Calling Delta is not going to get you anywhere.

There is a risk, but it's pretty low in my opinion given that you're connecting to the same airline's metal. And if you have both ticket numbers and the ticketing agent doesn't suck, they'll likely check your bag all the way through. Even if something went tits up, Delta will probably take care of you even though they're not technically obligated to.

That said, I have a trip in October (Island Hopper to GUM) where I have three unprotected connections on international segments operated by different airlines. And in November my wife and I are going to Chile with friends for Turkey Day and I have four unprotected connections that are not only on the same airline, they're in totally different alliances. I've allotted enough time to absorb any reasonable delays but...yeah. Perhaps I like to live dangerously? :ohdear:

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 16, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hello goons. I am looking for a multi-city trip so I am not sure if booking separately is better or not. The first leg is CTU -> ICN around January 15th. I'll then be flying from Korea to Japan, I'm going to do one of the low cost airlines for that (Air Busan or Peach). Then flying Tokyo -> CTU around February 11th. I have flexibility to leave after the 15th or return before the 11th if there's a huge saving but if it's just a few bucks it's not worth it.

I did a search for those dates and came up with $468 for my cheapest trip. That's doable but if anyone's search skillz can find something cheaper that'd be neat.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 29, 2016

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Grand Fromage posted:

Hello goons. I am looking for a multi-city trip so I am not sure if booking separately is better or not. The first leg is CTU -> ICN around January 15th. I'll then be flying from Korea to Japan, I'm going to do one of the low cost airlines for that (Air Busan or Peach). Then flying Tokyo -> CTU around February 11th. I have flexibility to leave after the 15th or return before the 11th if there's a huge saving but if it's just a few bucks it's not worth it.

I did a search for those dates and came up with $468 for my cheapest trip. That's doable but if anyone's search skillz can find something cheaper that'd be neat.

$348 on Air Macau but you have long layovers, including an overnight on the way back, in Macau. Some may see that as a feature rather than a bug but it is an available choice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mackieman posted:

$348 on Air Macau but you have long layovers, including an overnight on the way back, in Macau. Some may see that as a feature rather than a bug but it is an available choice.

Okay, sounds like there's nothing else. I did see that flight but the layovers are insane. And overnight in Macau is going to mean gambling away all the savings. Thanks for checking!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay, sounds like there's nothing else. I did see that flight but the layovers are insane. And overnight in Macau is going to mean gambling away all the savings. Thanks for checking!

You bet. China's aviation sector is in its infancy in many ways and there simply aren't that many carriers doing that many routes to drive down prices below what you're seeing at this point.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

fordan posted:

Some airlines (American is the one I know of) will let you check bags through and will rebook you in the event of delays/cancellation with multiple reservations (on their or other OneWorld flights in AA's case), but it's not an automatic process like it is for someone traveling on a single reservation. Also while American says they'll do this to American or other OneWorld partners, the OneWorld partners (at least the big ones like British Airways and Cathay Pacific) won't do it in return so it mostly becomes an AA-only benefit.

I don't know Delta's policy, but my assumption would be no through-checking and no protection unless you can find evidence to the contrary.

Let me hijack this question with my own: two reservation transit in Chicago at the end of January, both tickets booked on AA, oneworld Emerald status (not AA) - do I stay one extra day in Chicago between two trips to be safe, or do you think 10 hours between flights on separate reservations is fine? Basically - will the place be shut down because of snow storms? -> ORD in F, ORD -> in Y

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Let me hijack this question with my own: two reservation transit in Chicago at the end of January, both tickets booked on AA, oneworld Emerald status (not AA) - do I stay one extra day in Chicago between two trips to be safe, or do you think 10 hours between flights on separate reservations is fine? Basically - will the place be shut down because of snow storms? -> ORD in F, ORD -> in Y

10 hours? I'd do it with two. If the weather is hosed, you'll likely get rebooked with whatever options are available at the time.

drunkelberger
Jun 8, 2014
Hello friends:) Myself and a group of 10 friends went to Puerto Rico this year and we are planning on going again next year. The trip dates are Feb 11, 2017 through Feb 18, 2017( fly in and fly out on Saturday). We are pretty flexible regarding our departure airport, we all live in Columbus, OH ( CMH ) but are willing to fly out of Canton/Akron or Cleveland if the prices are better. So far the cheapest flights I have found on my own are $324 round trip out of Akron, but the flight times and layover times are less than desirable.

Somewhat related to this is when we bought our tickets for the trip that we did this year, we did it individually online through the airlines website. Everytime someone would buy a ticket the price would jump $20-30( cant remember exactly). Is the only way to avoid the ticket price increasing to pool our money and buy them in one transaction?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Cincinnati would be a bit of a hike from Columbus, but the flights are slightly cheaper (seeing $282) and non-stop.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

drunkelberger posted:

Hello friends:) Myself and a group of 10 friends went to Puerto Rico this year and we are planning on going again next year. The trip dates are Feb 11, 2017 through Feb 18, 2017( fly in and fly out on Saturday). We are pretty flexible regarding our departure airport, we all live in Columbus, OH ( CMH ) but are willing to fly out of Canton/Akron or Cleveland if the prices are better. So far the cheapest flights I have found on my own are $324 round trip out of Akron, but the flight times and layover times are less than desirable.

Somewhat related to this is when we bought our tickets for the trip that we did this year, we did it individually online through the airlines website. Everytime someone would buy a ticket the price would jump $20-30( cant remember exactly). Is the only way to avoid the ticket price increasing to pool our money and buy them in one transaction?

There's no guarantee that there would be as many tickets in that class as needed. So it would average the ticket price across all 10.

If you're at 11, you could likely qualify for a group fare. You'd have to call the airline to confirm.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
It's been my experience that group fares are almost never cheaper than what you could buy them for directly on the airline's website. As far as fare availability, this far out you shouldn't have too much trouble. But if you truly are running into an issue with availablity in certain buckets, most airline websites will sell you the cheapest fare that has X number of seats available which may not be the cheapest if the lowest available fare bucket doesn't have that many seats. Given that, it's usually better to buy individually or in groups of two or three depending on how it prices out.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Cincinnati would be a bit of a hike from Columbus, but the flights are slightly cheaper (seeing $282) and non-stop.

This is an Allegiant flight which means they charge for everything and you can't bring on more than a small backpack without paying for it. Be very aware of what you're getting (a la Spirit).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

It's been my experience that group fares are almost never cheaper than what you could buy them for directly on the airline's website. As far as fare availability, this far out you shouldn't have too much trouble. But if you truly are running into an issue with availablity in certain buckets, most airline websites will sell you the cheapest fare that has X number of seats available which may not be the cheapest if the lowest available fare bucket doesn't have that many seats. Given that, it's usually better to buy individually or in groups of two or three depending on how it prices out.

When fares spread out across multiple buckets I've found the group fares to be worth a phone call but ymmv

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mackieman posted:

This is an Allegiant flight which means they charge for everything and you can't bring on more than a small backpack without paying for it. Be very aware of what you're getting (a la Spirit).

Hey I didnt say it was good, just that it was direct. Some people care about that, I'd stick with the non LCC and suck up the layover but that's me.

drunkelberger
Jun 8, 2014
Thank you everyone for your input! We had kicked around the Allegiant flight, but considering gas to/from airport, parking for 7 days, people wanting to check bags and such it wasn't a good choice. I emailed American Airlines asking for a group rate quote, and if that falls through we will go ahead and buy our tickets 2 or 3 at a time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why wouldn't you just call?

drunkelberger
Jun 8, 2014
10% I'm at work and its a very loud industrial cooling plant, so I figured I could send an email and not have to yell over the noise. 90% I'm a goon and I don't talk on the phone unless I absolutely have to

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

drunkelberger posted:

10% I'm at work and its a very loud industrial cooling plant, so I figured I could send an email and not have to yell over the noise. 90% I'm a goon and I don't talk on the phone unless I absolutely have to

The gooniest of answers. :golfclap:

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
This is a vague question, but I'm in Toronto and I want to go somewhere warm (well, at least 15 C or so) for four-five days during the interval of Jan 1st-Jan 8th. Flying anywhere in that time period is expensive as hell -- what's the sort of rock-bottom price range/destination I'm looking at?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Saeku posted:

This is a vague question, but I'm in Toronto and I want to go somewhere warm (well, at least 15 C or so) for four-five days during the interval of Jan 1st-Jan 8th. Flying anywhere in that time period is expensive as hell -- what's the sort of rock-bottom price range/destination I'm looking at?

Vague is an understatement. No way to find anything without narrowing it down.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Looking to head to Hamburg, Germany from ORD between 27 Dec and returning on 3 Jan.

SAS is looking to be the cheapest (minus LOT which lol no thanks, unless anyone can refute a few hundred lovely reviews found online) at $854 with one stop either way (Copenhagen, Stockholm). Anything I'm missing? Any others doing this run for cheaper?

Edit: And should I wait any longer to book it or jump at it now? We're at the 70ish day mark here today.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 17, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mackieman posted:

Vague is an understatement. No way to find anything without narrowing it down.

Yeah in situations like this I just refer to Kayak Explore, too many variables in there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

Looking to head to Hamburg, Germany between 27 Dec and returning on 3 Jan.

SAS is looking to be the cheapest (minus LOT which lol no thanks, unless anyone can refute a few hundred lovely reviews found online) at $854 with one stop either way (Copenhagen, Stockholm). Anything I'm missing? Any others doing this run for cheaper?

Edit: And should I wait any longer to book it or jump at it now? We're at the 70ish day mark here today.

If you want people to find you a cheaper price you might want to tell them where you're starting from.

Honestly though if you're happy with the price, book it now. Don't play roulette with international airfare prices. SAS is a good airline, I flew them a few days ago, and got very good service when LAX ground crew lost my skis for a couple days. Their planes to go intra-Europe are old and lovely, but who cares since it's for like an hour. The plane we took internationally had an amazing cabin. I didn't see the economy cabin, but the whole thing was nice and new and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Saeku posted:

I dunno, just stay inside and turn the heating up?