Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

HookShot posted:

If you want people to find you a cheaper price you might want to tell them where you're starting from.

Honestly though if you're happy with the price, book it now. Don't play roulette with international airfare prices. SAS is a good airline, I flew them a few days ago, and got very good service when LAX ground crew lost my skis for a couple days. Their planes to go intra-Europe are old and lovely, but who cares since it's for like an hour. The plane we took internationally had an amazing cabin. I didn't see the economy cabin, but the whole thing was nice and new and awesome.

gently caress. I'm dumb. From ORD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

SAS is looking to be the cheapest (minus LOT which lol no thanks, unless anyone can refute a few hundred lovely reviews found online) at $854 with one stop either way (Copenhagen, Stockholm). Anything I'm missing? Any others doing this run for cheaper?

You should fly LOT on ORD->WAW if it's the cheapest flight. That route always runs a dreamliner, and it's a fantastic flight. I took it twice, loved it. One of the best transatlantic flights I've had in coach. (Though maybe SAS flies new planes too.)

Edit: Well I just looked and I see the awesome priced one (~$650) has a 19 hour layover in both directions. The better one (4 hour layover) is quite a bit more expensive (~$900). I guess it depends on how much money vs. time is worth it to you since the SAS flight I see is $1100 (or, oddly $1000 on Expedia--I'm always wary of that).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 17, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Expedia can gently caress off since one time I booked tickets through them that guaranteed one piece of checked luggage included and I got to the airport and had to pay an extra $120 because it turned out that wasn't true at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

Expedia can gently caress off since one time I booked tickets through them that guaranteed one piece of checked luggage included and I got to the airport and had to pay an extra $120 because it turned out that wasn't true at all.

The results of booking hotels with them can be fun too! As an observer I mean, not as the person getting hosed over.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Hi thread,

I'm looking for a round-trip for 2 adults from the Bay Area to England:
  • SFO (or nearby) to LHR/LGW
  • LHR/LGW to SFO (or nearby)
  • Dec 8 to Dec 29 (give or take a couple days, any time frame that is a solid three weeks right before New Year's)
  • I prefer to arrive at London at some regular time of day so I can hire a car and drive all the way to Cornwall :shepicide:

The cheapest I found so far (maybe at around 4 AM sometimes) would be at $605 each, but searching on Kayak, that would lead me to Priceline's website, and it would tell me it actually costs like $1,000+ each for some reason.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Hi thread,

I'm looking for a round-trip for 2 adults from the Bay Area to England:
  • SFO (or nearby) to LHR/LGW
  • LHR/LGW to SFO (or nearby)
  • Dec 8 to Dec 29 (give or take a couple days, any time frame that is a solid three weeks right before New Year's)
  • I prefer to arrive at London at some regular time of day so I can hire a car and drive all the way to Cornwall :shepicide:

The cheapest I found so far (maybe at around 4 AM sometimes) would be at $605 each, but searching on Kayak, that would lead me to Priceline's website, and it would tell me it actually costs like $1,000+ each for some reason.

Check this out:
http://www.secretflying.com/2016/oakland-san-francisco-usa-london-uk-352-roundtrip-vice-versa-288/

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Whoa, nice. That made it super easy. Thanks! :D

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

gently caress. I'm dumb. From ORD!

LOT is fine; no carrier is going to be great in coach. I'd take their 788 out of ORD all day long if it was the cheapest.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Whoa, nice. That made it super easy. Thanks! :D

I'm jealous; those things almost never happen out of CLT. The last time one did (OGG trip) I couldn't do it because my wife's PhD class schedule was being a bitch.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Mackieman posted:

LOT is fine; no carrier is going to be great in coach. I'd take their 788 out of ORD all day long if it was the cheapest.

Just bit the bullet and took the non-10+ hour layover SAS flight for $855. gently caress I forgot how expensive it is to fly to Europe! (Just saw ORD to HCMC Vietnam for under $500 RT!)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

Just bit the bullet and took the non-10+ hour layover SAS flight for $855. gently caress I forgot how expensive it is to fly to Europe! (Just saw ORD to HCMC Vietnam for under $500 RT!)

Given some prices, that's really not that bad. It all depends on where you're going, where you're leaving, and when.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

You know what's cool? Showing up at the airport and having the gate agent tell you they upgraded you to business class because they overbooked the plane.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Whip Slagcheek posted:

You know what's cool? Showing up at the airport and having the gate agent tell you they upgraded you to business class because they overbooked the plane.

For about a 3 year span, that used to happen to me about 50% of the time when I'd fly. No idea why but I always seemed to get upgraded. Has slowed down a lot, but here's hoping!

Mackieman posted:

Given some prices, that's really not that bad. It all depends on where you're going, where you're leaving, and when.

Oh, no, I totally realize. I lament the whole pricing thing that it's somehow cheaper to fly someone from Chicago to Vietnam than it is to fly 'em to Germany. It's like half the distance but almost twice the price. Craziness. Yes I realize it's just the way it is. But I think it's crazy.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Picked up San Diego to Tokyo nonstop last week for $600/ea, nonstop, during cherry blossom season (and spring break). JAL branded as AA. Woot!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I feel like this probably gets posted a lot but I really have to ask: Is there some catch to SecretFlying? Some of these deals just feel way too good to be true

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Xinder posted:

I feel like this probably gets posted a lot but I really have to ask: Is there some catch to SecretFlying? Some of these deals just feel way too good to be true

Not usually, it's all about availability and flexibility.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
And living in a major market that gets those flight deals. If you live in a region that is served by one airline, get out your wallet.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Xinder posted:

The deals are all real. Sometimes with the "error fares" you have a chance of getting your ticket cancelled (although I've heard in practice this almost never happens).

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saladman posted:

The deals are all real. Sometimes with the "error fares" you have a chance of getting your ticket cancelled (although I've heard in practice this almost never happens).

Most (probably 90%+) of SecretFlying's deals are not error fares. No risk of cancellation there.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Pro Travel Hack: If you're contemplating doing a connecting flight through Frankfurt or Munich, shove a toothpick under each of your fingernails. If still contemplating, repeat cycle. :suicide:

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Pro Travel Hack: If you're contemplating doing a connecting flight through Frankfurt or Munich, shove a toothpick under each of your fingernails. If still contemplating, repeat cycle. :suicide:

I did both of those in one trip. Toronto-Frankfurt-Lisbon and then Barcelona-Munich-Toronto with Lufthansa. Didn't find it too bad and even got picked up off the plane, swept through a makeshift passport control, and delivered right to the gate in Frankfurt because the first plane was running late and the connection was in 15 minutes.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

You got spared the human lab experiment that is navigating the terminals.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Munich Terminal 1 is my favourite place because after security there is literally one place to get food so it always has a 30+ minute lineup.

Also Terminal 2 goes forever.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The US bound Munich terminal had zero food options once you pushed through security except for vending machines.

Frankfurt is what I imagine hell is like.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Frankfurt is what I imagine hell is like.

I dunno, I feel like Hell would be significantly more cheerful than that long underground tunnel between terminals, and there'd be less walking involved.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Directly with delta; got two adult tickets, a child, and infant in seat. All Round-trip.

2 days later, the price is down $240-300ish per person, I learned about this "Best Fare Guarantee" a day too late apparently. Is there any other recourse? Where should I have bought instead?

delta posted:

Case Number 21759701

Thank you for contacting Delta Air Lines regarding your Best Fare
Guarantee claim.

The request to honor Delta.com’s best Fare Guarantee must be submitting
by 12 midnight, on same day that the original reservation was made on
delta.com. Our record indicates that your ticket was purchased on
November 04, 2016. The original Best Fare Guarantee was submitted on
November 06, 2016. Hence, we have to respectfully decline your claim.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Chunjee posted:

Directly with delta; got two adult tickets, a child, and infant in seat. All Round-trip.

2 days later, the price is down $240-300ish per person, I learned about this "Best Fare Guarantee" a day too late apparently. Is there any other recourse? Where should I have bought instead?

Sounds like the fares dropped on in the market you bought after you bought them. It sucks, but it does happen sometimes. Not really much recourse on it.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Hey thread,

Need a round trip for 1 adult over the holidays.

• Seattle (could also do portland or maybe vancouver if its much cheaper)
  • Amsterdam
  • December 18th - January 8th
  • The start date is pretty flexible, either late or early, but I MUST be back in the country by the 9th, which means I need to depart on the 8th, and I dont really want to leave any sooner either.

I've looked around and all the prices seem to be at or above a grand. I've done this trip before for 600 bucks and I hope I didnt just get lucky with that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jizz into Darkness posted:

Hey thread,

• Amsterdam
  • The start date is pretty flexible, either late or early, but I MUST be back in the country by the 9th, which means I need to depart on the 8th, and I dont really want to leave any sooner either.

I've looked around and all the prices seem to be at or above a grand. I've done this trip before for 600 bucks and I hope I didnt just get lucky with that.

I live in Vancouver, I wouldn't bother coming here over the holidays. Seattle has much more culture to it and things to do.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Jizz into Darkness posted:

Hey thread,

• Amsterdam

If price is the most important thing, you could do SEA-LHR for $750 and then get a cheap LCC ticket to AMS or BRU pretty easily. Other than that, yeah, it's about $985.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
Hi thread,

I'm looking for 1 adult round trip Vancouver to London (UK).
Departing 10th-11th of December, returning some time between xmas and new years.

Looks like I'm paying $1200-1500 CAD for 10th-27th, does that sound right/any recommendations?

Thanks!

(Edit: that's for direct flights)

Tasky
May 7, 2008

Come on Bob! The WORLD WIDE WEB!
Hello All!

I'm heading down under, on the other side of the globe, to reunite with my wife who's living in Australia.

Looking for the best price for Toronto to Melbourne, leaving between January 2nd-7th 2017 and coming back ALL the way later in September 3rd-8th

Either airport in Toronto (YYZ YTO) will do and it doesn't matter how many stopovers.

The cheapest I've found so far is $2500 (CA) round trip. Is that the best I can hope for? I don't mind swallowing that cost but I'll feel like an rear end in a top hat if I find out I could have saved a couple of hundred bucks

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Tasky posted:

Hello All!

I'm heading down under, on the other side of the globe, to reunite with my wife who's living in Australia.

Looking for the best price for Toronto to Melbourne, leaving between January 2nd-7th 2017 and coming back ALL the way later in September 3rd-8th

Either airport in Toronto (YYZ YTO) will do and it doesn't matter how many stopovers.

The cheapest I've found so far is $2500 (CA) round trip. Is that the best I can hope for? I don't mind swallowing that cost but I'll feel like an rear end in a top hat if I find out I could have saved a couple of hundred bucks

I thought "hey what about looking for deals from Vancouver, I bet there are a ton of those." And there are some decent prices, like CAN$1800 on your itinerary, ... but holy poo poo it is expensive to fly between Vancouver and Toronto, like CAN$600 expensive. What the hell, Canada? It's like double the price of flying from NYC to LAX or similar distanced routes in the US.

Tasky
May 7, 2008

Saladman posted:

I thought "hey what about looking for deals from Vancouver, I bet there are a ton of those." And there are some decent prices, like CAN$1800 on your itinerary, ... but holy poo poo it is expensive to fly between Vancouver and Toronto, like CAN$600 expensive. What the hell, Canada? It's like double the price of flying from NYC to LAX or similar distanced routes in the US.

Ahah tell me about it. It's actually more expensive to stay and vacation in our country than travel abroad half the time. Why must we be so big and vast??

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

Yeah, inter-Canada flying is ridiculous, I usually drive to Seattle, go to wherever in America is closest to my eventual destination, and fly to there then drive back to Canada when I have to cross the country.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Can't remember if I found this here or not, but I subscribed to this guy's for-pay flight-deals emails a few months back ($40 a year or so?) and I am suitably impressed.

https://scottscheapflights.com/

I booked three people R/T nonstop from San Diego to Tokyo during spring break for $1,800 total. Phenomenal deal. He sends out (verifiable) good deals all the time - almost every day.

A+++. Would buy again.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Bizarro Buddha posted:

Hi thread,

I'm looking for 1 adult round trip Vancouver to London (UK).
Departing 10th-11th of December, returning some time between xmas and new years.

Looks like I'm paying $1200-1500 CAD for 10th-27th, does that sound right/any recommendations?

Thanks!

(Edit: that's for direct flights)

It's Christmas and that's about as good as you're likely to find.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
That's exactly what I thought, thanks!

Tasky
May 7, 2008

To update on my quest to find a cheaper ticket, I went back onto Google Flights, was looking for about 5 minutes, and in that time a round-trip Toronto to Melbourne came up for the dates I wanted at $2,043! Christmas comes early this year!

Thank you thread for all of the really helpful links and the advice : )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

photomikey posted:

Can't remember if I found this here or not, but I subscribed to this guy's for-pay flight-deals emails a few months back ($40 a year or so?) and I am suitably impressed.

https://scottscheapflights.com/

I booked three people R/T nonstop from San Diego to Tokyo during spring break for $1,800 total. Phenomenal deal. He sends out (verifiable) good deals all the time - almost every day.

A+++. Would buy again.

Doesn't make that much sense to pay for someone to steal deals from Flyertalk etc. which is what 99% of these blogs do (many for free)