Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I did the math and it ended up being $15 to book Sun Country to JFK and WestJet from Montreal to MSP vs booking both trips with Delta Main Cabin on one order, so I went with the hometown team instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So this is kind of a "just for the hell of it" search for information but I'm trying to find information on American Airlines flights between Miami and Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe (PTP), a Caribbean island. PTP to MIA is listed as a route on AA's route finder but I think it's seasonal only, and I'm trying to figure out what season it is. Ultimately I'm looking at MSP to PTP via MIA. On ITA Matrix I can make that itinerary and find trips on American 4471 operated by Republic Airlines as American Eagle only on Saturdays in February & March between MIA and PTP (when I was searching) but I can't find an MSP to PTP itinerary on their site. But I can search for MIA to PTP leaving and returning on a saturday and find American 4471.

E: Also apparently Air France has a seasonal route from PTP to Atlanta which would work well for me living in a Delta hub if I could find any real info about it...

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 5, 2018

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, question about TSA Precheck. One of the benefits is that you don't have to take your jacket off and so it generally sounds like the screening is a little lighter than for regular passengers, however the TSA won't guarantee anything to keep the terrorists off guard.

I recently got a medical device that I can't go through the backscatter machines with, but I can go through a metal detector. However I took a trip last week for the first time, and both there and back I got to get very intimate with a TSA agent doing a full body pat down. If I get Precheck is there a better chance they'll just let me through the metal detector? It's hard to really figure out what the benefits are beyond a different (shorter) line to go through security.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Not internationally, but I've taken 2 trips this year already, and at least 2 more this year alone. Then again Global Entry is only $15 more than Precheck, and it includes Precheck. There's also NEXUS which expedites customs when traveling to or from Canada, which also inclues Precheck, and that's only $50, so cheaper than Precheck and you get more than Precheck. Feels like there's a loophole there I'm missing.

Ahha found the loophole, I live in Minnesota but I'd basically have to go to the Canadian border to apply, driving 5 or 6 hours one way to one of the two enrollment locations.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 9, 2019

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So Precheck and Global Entry are good and for such a low cost (I thought GE was like hundreds per year not $20 per year) I'd probably be a fool not to get them remotely. But back to the original question, I found this on the TSA "Disabilities and Medical Conditions" page and selecting "Insulin Pumps & Glucose Monitors" (my device is a glucose monitor that the manufacturer says can't go through the backscatter machine but can go through a metal detector).

quote:

if you are eligible for expedited screening, you may be screened by a walk-through metal detector.
That's under standard screening, but TSA Precheck doesn't say anything about "expedited screening" (but Precheck IS expedited screening?) So basically I'm trying to figure out if Precheck will make it more likely that they'll let me go through the metal detector instead of doing a pat-down when I tell them I can't use the backscatter machine.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
OK read more closely and I was just calling all the new machines "back scatter" but they explicitly say metal detector or pat down are acceptable, anything else, such as AITs like the millimeter wave scanner, are to be avoided.

But good to know that the pre check line has a higher likely hood of allowing me to go through the Xray machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I signed up for global entry months ago and haven't heard anything back, am I supposed to do something or do I just need to wait? I'm a US citizen living in the US, a coworker told me you just need to spam the interview scheduling site and find an open time but how do I know they've done whatever they need to do with my application to allow me to interview?