Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

WaryWarren posted:

I'm looking to purchase a seat on a one-way flight into Italy, with the origin being Chicago and the desired destination either being Milan or Roma. I need to enter the EU in Italy, as I will have an Italian National visa as opposed to a Schengen one. I have a $1500 credit from AA that I would like to use since it expires in January. I have checked AA.com, Hipmunk and the ITA Matrix sites. When I enter my requirements below, I get a ridiculously high fare from all three sites. Flying AA from ORD to JFK and then on to MXP is ~$2500, while ORD to FCO direct is also ~$2500. I realize that it is now only 5 weeks away from my ideal departure date and I may have to pay a fortune.

My question: Will these fares go down considerably in the near future? Or should I bite the bullet and pay an additional $1000 for either flight?

•Origin: ORD

•Destination: MXP or FCO

•Duration of trip with dates: August 20th.

•Flexibility: +/- 3 days. No connections within the EU, UK, Ireland, etc.

Why not purchase a return trip and just not use the second leg of the trip? I'm seeing a price of $1496 for the below on ITA:

Chicago (ORD) to Rome (FCO) - Sun, Aug 18
American American 110 Dep: 5:05PM Arr: 9:25AM 9h 20m Boeing 767 Economy (O)
Mon, Aug 19

Rome (FCO) to Chicago (ORD) - Mon, Aug 26
American American 111 Dep: 11:15AM Arr: 3:00PM 10h 45m Boeing 767 Economy (Q)

Or, as an alternative, you could get a one way flight ORD->FCO around August 20th for $507 with Turkish Airlines either. So if you could find some other trip to use your AA credit on that might be a better use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Grouco posted:

Cheers. Overnight is no problem, but I'll think about it some more. Might just take the Aer Lingus on the 4th and save myself some hassle.

The Dublin U.S. customs service is fantastic - I'd always advise everyone its worth paying $20-50 to clear it there as opposed to ORD or JFK or anywhere else actually in the U.S. You'll be far less tired queuing before your transatlantic flight rather than after, plus the que will be a lot smaller than at a major U.S. airport, plus it will move a lot faster because nearly everyone there will be an E.U. citizen (ie less likely to illegally stay in the U.S.) so subject to less intensive questioning.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Going from this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_border_preclearance it looks like Ireland or Canada are your only major international preclearance options. If youre flying from the U.K. Dublin would probably be far easier as you'd be clearing immigration there before the long, tiring transatlantic flight rather than after in Canada.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Just a tip Geriatric Pirate but I had a similar experience with finding some flights on ITA that wouldn't return on an airlines website earlier this year (Emirates in this case). I tried every booking agent I could think of to find them but was having no luck. Eventually got the flights booked on Orbitz, after a couple of failed attempts and was over the moon.

A few days later got an email from Orbitz saying the flights were cancelled, took another 5 business days after that before I got the money refunded back into my account. So I ended up having to book flights 10 days later than I'd planned at a greater cost than if I'd just gotten the original ones available on the Emirates site.

Taught me a lesson anyway....

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Is there any way to get around having the full ticket itinerary cancelled? ie by informing the airline in advance your schedule has changed and you will no longer be using the first flight, but wish to use the rest? It makes sense to have your other segments cancelled when you miss the first one as a 'noshow', however with prior warning it seems a bit unfair of them to cancel all segments?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Mackieman posted:

Nope, it's part of the Contract of Carriage that you agree to when you purchase the ticket. If you want to change it after the fact, assuming the fare rules allow change, there is usually a rather stalwart fee involved.

Hmm, that's a shame, more financially rewarding from the airlines point of view though I suppose. Thanks for the clarification. While I'm here, I've another question for you Mackieman if that's ok - this thread is a fantastic resource for quick, clear air travel related answers.

Myself and 3 friends are currently in possession of three $650 flight vouchers for US Airways. We're thinking of using them for flying outbound DUB > MSY and return ORD > DUB around next March. Do you think we'll have significant problems getting all 3 of us on the same flights, using the vouchers? I've heard they can be quite difficult to book with but have no experience of it.

An alternative might be to try to sell our vouchers on ebay, and use the money for less restricted flights? This seems like it might be a bit more hassle, though.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Mackieman posted:

I haven't used a US Airways voucher in quite a while but generally they're used as a payment form, so if you find flights will available seats, you should be able to book them and use the vouchers to cover part of the cost. If you have any of the fine print or details about them, I'm happy to parse through it to see if there are any special restrictions you should be aware of.

Selling them is usually against the ToS and is a great way to get them invalidated, especially on eBay; I wouldn't try that route.

Interesting, thanks. Google was telling me sometimes redemptions can be limited to only certain fare buckets so I was worried about how likely it was I'd be able to get 4 tickets on the same flights. These are the T&Cs, they seem fairly straightforward:

http://i.imgur.com/i2AfvHl.jpg

It does say they're transferable (and I've seen a few on eBay), but that does sound a bit risky. I'll try to get us booked on a flight as my first step anyway I guess and see how that goes. Just wish the YR and taxes that we have to pay didn't amount to close to $350 per fare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, redemptions are limited to award fare buckets, but that's not what this is. This is a voucher that can be used as a payment device for booking a new ticket. If you can get US Airways to sell it, you can use this to pay for it. As long as there are four seats in the fare bucket you're trying to purchase, then you should be able to use it. I don't see anything else in the fine print that would prohibit that.

Awesome, thats great news. Thanks for the clarification!