Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Ok, SE Asia is too expensive for the days that I want. So, I starting looking elsewhere. Mongolia is always around $700 so I might as well go now when the other options are out of the range of what I want to pay.

I'm finding about $700 for Aug. 10 to 18 with Asiana and Mongolian Air for Seoul to Ulaanbaatar. Does anyone know of a cheaper maybe not direct way? I wouldn't mind one of the day or half day layovers in a Tier 1 Chinese city, it's nice to get out and see some things and get dinner.

Slightly related, does anyone know of a thread that talks about traveling in Mongolia? I didn't even see any postings in the search function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Is the 'buy tickets when they are cheaper on Tuesday' rule actually a thing? Like, make the purchase on a Tuesday not fly.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Is it true that flights are cheaper if booked on Tuesdays, like bought that day? Sounds like it isn't a thing.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I'm having trouble finding a flight to Goa, India from Seoul, Korea (ICN) my dates are December 24 or late (Dec 23) and i have to be back January 2 or super early January 3. Saw flights to Calcutta somewhere for about 600 and there are supposed to be cheap flights domestically in India, but I'm not seeing it. Goal is $900 or under and to maximize vacation time. Any advice? Skyscanner isn't helpful and i can check itamatrix at my computer tomorrow.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Xandu posted:

I looked at ita, and China Eastern Airlines has cheap flights to Calcutta, even less than 600, if you are okay with a couple of layovers. And there's a few domestic Indian airlines (Jet Lite and Jet Airways) that can get you to Goa for 4-500.

Whoa, why is it so expensive to fly domestically?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Looking for cheap flights to Georgia and Armenia this August, maybe part of July. I know flying into Tbilisi is expensive as hell, but a flight to Yerevan is made cheaper with a stop over in Moscow. Does anyone know of any other airports I could fly into that would be cheaper? Maybe something in eastern turkey?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I'm seeing flights on Skyscanner for May 1 to May 5 from Seoul to Sapporo for $239. (or May 2 to May 6?) Does Skyscanner sometimes just show incorrect prices? Some sort of trick I need to know?

The $500 Yangon, Myanmar flights don't show up either.

Just want to get out of Seoul for a bit for cheap.

http://instagram.com/p/nIFV9Kxn1l/

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

What's the problem here? Same fare not on ITA? If so it's because it's by an LCC which isn't in ITA's system.

Looks legit to me, I followed the links all the way to the Jin Air (LCC subsidiary of Korean) air website and managed to get on a booking page with $152 tickets, though I was google translating the page from Korean so don't know the full story.

Figured it out. JinAir has only a few cheap tickets, but you only see how many are left by clicking on them. Everything under $400 is sold out.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Trying to find flights from Seoul on May 2 or the evening of May 1 to Taiwan or Hong Kong (or any other place not China or Japan that's cheap) until May 5.

I found these on Google Flights, but much more expensive on the China Air site.

http://goo.gl/flights/KbfH Kaohsiung

http://goo.gl/flights/SDya Taipei

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, looks like Google either has old data (which is odd since Hipmunk doesn't show that fare and they're both using ITA's data) or it's a funky currency thing. In either case, $500USD is about as good as I see.

Thanks. I was afraid of that. There's a Hong Kong flight on Ethiopian for 260 but for fewer days. Might do that. 500 for 3 days is killer.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

My partner and I are finally escaping Asia and want to take 4-6 weeks in Europe before we settle into no-vacation-forever-America. We seem pretty settled on Seattle to Reykjavik as the cheapest option. Flying back to Seattle (home) from a reunion in Nashville first is actually cheaper than flying from Nashville or Atlanta.

Our plan was to fly out of Reykjavik to the rest of Europe. Are there common cheap hubs or ones to avoid? Warsaw seems pretty cheap, we'd like to have a few days for our connection is there a way to search for those of do we have to call the airline about it? 18 hours is a bit rushed even if it's for all the day light hours.

Trying to go around on a budget, but it still looks like planes are still cheaper and/or safer than trains or automobiles.

What are your favorite flight routes? We're looking at Naples/Rome/Venice, Paris, Edinburgh/London, Tirana/Dubrovnik as necessary stops but sort of flexible for the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Poland was in there because it was a common connection we were seeing on cheap flights.

I got the notion of flying being cheaper from people who have been there and confidently relayed such. Same thing with it not being safe, but that comes mostly from female travelers getting groped on buses and trains.

I'll look at more trains and transit to and from. Haven't really left east Asia for 5 years. Have my international drivers license though, so I'll keep things open. Let's hope websites have an English option.