Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Digging for an ORD-BKK flight that's ACTUALLY sub $1k. Departure date of December 8, 9, or 10. Return of May 16, 17, or 18.

Hipmunk and Kayak both link me to shadeball sites like Vayama and some other sketchass crap for around $850 with a single stop in Tokyo on both legs of the trip.

Looking at actual legit bookings, the best I can come up with is 2 stops ORD-SEA-ICN-BKK on loving Delta which I hate with a fiery passion for $834 via Priceline. The return flight I don't really care about, but I'd like the flight over to be as painless as possible. 1 stop on a legit carrier. Any pointers?

Edit: JAL has a flight ORD-NRT-BKK for $1206. Guess Sheep-Goats was right about that 1200 barrier :(

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

pig slut lisa posted:

Would you leave a day early to save $300?

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Aside from the guy that posted the CX flight below, BKK is super well served by LCCs so maybe check Google flights for the cheapest destination in SE Asia and then Air Asia etc from there to BKK?

I ended up going with leaving a day before and got myself on that JAL flight for $1058. I was looking into the Cathay Pacific one a little, and I'd have to pay $200 on top of that to pick my own seat, which is kind of a thing for me since on long flights I like to get up and stretch n poo poo kind of often. I'm pretty content with only going over my budget by $58 for this ticket either way.

Funny thing is, I found out after I bought the JAL tickets that I'm only allowed to pick a seat within 24 hours of departure, and not at the time of purchase. Meh. As long as I get that sweet sweet aisle, I'm golden.

Thanks!

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Looking to head to Hamburg, Germany from ORD between 27 Dec and returning on 3 Jan.

SAS is looking to be the cheapest (minus LOT which lol no thanks, unless anyone can refute a few hundred lovely reviews found online) at $854 with one stop either way (Copenhagen, Stockholm). Anything I'm missing? Any others doing this run for cheaper?

Edit: And should I wait any longer to book it or jump at it now? We're at the 70ish day mark here today.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 17, 2016

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

HookShot posted:

If you want people to find you a cheaper price you might want to tell them where you're starting from.

Honestly though if you're happy with the price, book it now. Don't play roulette with international airfare prices. SAS is a good airline, I flew them a few days ago, and got very good service when LAX ground crew lost my skis for a couple days. Their planes to go intra-Europe are old and lovely, but who cares since it's for like an hour. The plane we took internationally had an amazing cabin. I didn't see the economy cabin, but the whole thing was nice and new and awesome.

gently caress. I'm dumb. From ORD!

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Mackieman posted:

LOT is fine; no carrier is going to be great in coach. I'd take their 788 out of ORD all day long if it was the cheapest.

Just bit the bullet and took the non-10+ hour layover SAS flight for $855. gently caress I forgot how expensive it is to fly to Europe! (Just saw ORD to HCMC Vietnam for under $500 RT!)

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Whip Slagcheek posted:

You know what's cool? Showing up at the airport and having the gate agent tell you they upgraded you to business class because they overbooked the plane.

For about a 3 year span, that used to happen to me about 50% of the time when I'd fly. No idea why but I always seemed to get upgraded. Has slowed down a lot, but here's hoping!

Mackieman posted:

Given some prices, that's really not that bad. It all depends on where you're going, where you're leaving, and when.

Oh, no, I totally realize. I lament the whole pricing thing that it's somehow cheaper to fly someone from Chicago to Vietnam than it is to fly 'em to Germany. It's like half the distance but almost twice the price. Craziness. Yes I realize it's just the way it is. But I think it's crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
I dunno if Amex has any presence whatsoever in Germany, for example. Visa and Master/Maestro, yes, but Amex, ehhhhh.

If you're planning to use it while on the ground at shops and any random hostel you might feel like suddenly staying in, Mastercard all the way. If you can make all of your bookings in advance and online (which can be a bit of a lame way to backpack travel IMO) you MIGHT have luck with the big hotel names taking Amex, but I wouldn't do it that way personally.

E: if you get both cards, then yes, Amex for everything large/big name you can plan in advance. Master for everything else/while you're on the ground.