Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman I forget if I asked you but do you have any recommendations on travel insurance? I have 2 very complex award tickets coming up and I would like to have it covered in case of any fuckery on the multiple airlines involved and specifically with luggage

Do you even recommend getting it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

I don't personally use it but I know people who do; Amex Travel and Travelex both have fairly decent coverage. You should also check to see if the credit card you paid for the tickets with carries any coverage. In all cases, read the fine print so that you know what is and what is not covered and at what point certain coverages kick in.

Yeah. I never do either but the taxes paid on the award tickets don't cover the value of any one leg and with 13 flights over 24 days i want to make sure were covered. I'm just overly nervous and don't want anything to be messed up from luggage to misconnects loving up fairly expensive hotels.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This is all based on random dates using the tool. Take it with a grain of salt -- I expect to be corrected at any moment. :) But given your specific itinerary and schedules being loaded in for that time you might be able to solve some or all of these issues. It appears as though you have several issues with that RTW that will make it invalid or more expensive. According to this tool:

1: You will be over the # of connections permissible (16 total)
2: You will be over the # of miles permissible when you take into account actual flight miles due to connections
3: There is limited or no service between Delhi and Seychelles
4: There is limited or no service between Dakar and Freetown ( I think there is an Ethiopian flight that operates this sporadically but I can't get it to load. It may be excluded from RTW or just not in the scheduler yet? May not be an issue)

Potential issues:
** It looks like you will have issues getting from Freetown to Miami, service is offered very rarely so you will have to set your trip around a day or two each week you can book a ticket

** Getting between Dakar and Dar Es Salaam involved 2 connections, a flight into Europe, and almost 8k miles. This type of connection kills miles based tickets/awards.

** There is limited or no service between Seychelles and Dar Es Salaam, it may affect your schedule too dramatically to book this

-----------------------------

Advice:

Always proceed to choose specific flights in the tool. It will let you email the itinerary, save as PDF, and also make sure that your route is valid. As it stands now booking dummy flights I'm at 42000 miles flown without Delhi - Seychelles and Dakar - Freetown. Way over the ticket. And that doesn't count the number of segments, which is also over.

Find out what the issue is with Ethiopian flights possibly not loading into the tool -- if there's a way to get between Dakar and Dar Es Salaam on Ethiopian it'll save you a ton of miles and connections. EDIT: Actually SAA looks to be the best with only 1 stop (JNB) to get to both cities, but likely more miles. Wonder why that one is not loading in...

Not sure how long you are planning on taking this trip or if you're planning on breaking it up into 2 legs with a nested itinerary to get you back to the middle of it, but this is a lot of flying. These tickets can be really good deals as long as you enjoy your time on the trip in the first place! People tend to see a good deal and try to maximize it which ends up actually hurting the potential enjoyment of the whole thing. Coupled with time changes, etc I'd be wary of doing this all in Economy. I'd hate for anyone to spend 7k+ on a ticket only to dread the last few stops because they've already spent 40+ hours in an economy seat within the past 2-3 weeks. But that's just me.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 20, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I really love RTW fares/ticketing, so I looked at this a bit more:

How are you doing an 8mo-1yr trip with your job if I may ask? Are you looking at booking nested round trips back to the US to work for a few months then pick the ticket back up? If that's the case you could look at a Circle Pacific fare. This is routeable around $5k all in.

Route:
Los Angeles CA - Rarotonga -Auckland - Sydney(connection) - Singapore(connection) - Denpasar Bali - Bangkok - Tokyo(connection) - Los Angeles CA
Total trip: 23026 miles

BTW: Bali is one of the worst to get to on these awards. I've had easier times getting to the Maldives from the US. The timing and frequency of the flights just seems to suck if you're coming from the US

Then you'd pick up Africa and India for a true RTW for around 9k. (7k + 1500 or so in taxes and surcharges)

Route: Route:
Miami FL - New York NY - Brussels - Freetown - (NOT INCLUDED) Dakar - Addis Ababa - Dar Es Salaam - Johannesburg - Nairobi - Addis Ababa - Seychelles - Addis Ababa - Bangkok - Delhi - Beijing - Chicago IL - Miami FL
Total trip: 36619 miles

Outside of that option, an African Airpass ticket might make sense. Or look at flight costs within Africa and just spend additional money to hit those cities. But drat is Africa hard to route into an RTW.

That being said, I'm not sure if you'll experience savings with this plan

If you fly a lot domestically, how many miles do you have and with what alliance? StarAlliance I assume? Could you look at covering part of this trip or do some positioning flights with miles?

Edit: also one of the best values about RTW fares are the fairly flexible change rules. If you're not doing that or you don't value that then you might not be getting the most value over just booking tickets directly or separately.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 20, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Since you're over the limit of single RTW trip, I would suggest looking at OneWorld as well. They have a similar ticket. Their African options stink but they are strong in SE Asia, Middle East, South Pacific, and South America. And they allow an open jaw at the end of the trip, so you could start in London and end in Bangkok and supplement trips on either side to get the excess mileage you need.

You could probably do an African Airpass from JNB so you would start a OneWorld RTW LHR-JNB on a British Airways, African Airpass for within Africa times, then JNB-HKG on Cathay Pacific to resume the OneWorld RTW and hit the rest of your trip there.

And OneWorld does offer a New Zealand - Chile option which is efficient if you do want to try to tack on Brazil.

Edit: Yeah, OneWorld looks to be a hell of a lot cheaper than StarAlliance I think.

teacup posted:

Forget Bali, those other places in Asia are infinitely better, more in your way and cheaper and less full of obnoxious horrible Australians

Let's leave the destination criticism for another thread. This is about finding cheap airfare and the ticket he's booking the cost of airfare to/from DPS is completely irrelevant.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 21, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you have the connections to fly standby and destination is flexible, why wouldn't you just do this?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would use ita matrix and search by 30 day range and then manually sort by what times are acceptable to you.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You should be able to book the fare on the airlines site directly. Can you post an example?

Also by booking directly when problems arise you can deal with the airline directly. This is the best option.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

True. Some airline sites allow you to broaden your search to that airline, it's partners, and even other airlines so if the majority of your flight is with one airline you can book through them and retain benefits. This won't be enabled by default, of course

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ita matrix shows flights to rhi or wau easily. 2 or 3 stops. Looks like around 10700 yuan on delta. a little more for 2 stops. With some adjustment of dates you can get it to 9000 yuan. 7000 if you travel in February exclusively.

And there's not much cheap about traveling during Chinese New Year. You waited a long time to book this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

And a question of my own:

I know you can sometimes save money by booking a flight with a stop and then just not using the second flight. For this to work your destination would have to be some sort of hub, right? So flying MSP>PIT I couldn't save anything like that because no airline has a hub in PIT. But on the way back maybe I could since MSP is a hub?

If you don't get on the second part of your flight out your return will be cancelled.

If you ignore the last flight on the trip (ex: lax dfw JFK (stop) dfw (stop) lax (miss the flight) you will be fine but technically you are violating fare rules and if you do it often enough for them to notice they can get pissed off.

Ignore the hub bit. It's irrelevant.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For mileage threads -- someone can feel free to start one but honestly there's too much information constantly changing. I'd brave MilePoint or Flyertalk for your program of choice. Those people have it down to pathetic levels.

Also for AAdvantage people, I'm sure a massive devaluation is coming. Look at United with their split partner award charts and now SQ premium availability basically being reduced to flat 0's across the board with only phone booking available. I'm not going to say it's too late but the return on the time/energy invested is likely to be greatly reduced very soon. Keep in mind this as you decide to invest your time and energy.

For avoiding UK on award travel, it's correct that BA is the one who charges fuel surcharges. Iberia does it as well but it's far less. I would avoid the UK for anything but a stopover on any ticket (unless you are really wanting to stop in London) because the APD is charged after 24 hours. And it is more if you travel in a premium cabin. This caused my 12 flight award itinerary to almost double in cost because of that APD.

EDIT:

That being said, redeeming miles is pretty cool when it works. I highly recommend any of the round the world tickets available.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 15, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

Another option might be to find someone who collects miles and see if you can acquire a one-way award ticket for PicklesMcGillicuddy in exchange for remuneration of an amount and type to be discussed between interested parties...or something. I'm cryptic because selling award miles is verboten according to the ToS of most mileage programs. That said, I've booked many award tickets for other people, so take that for what you will.

This is a good idea. Please be aware that airlines employ people to specifically look out for violations of their milage program ToS, of which this is the leading violation.

Several years ago I needed 2 additional upgrades and bought them from someone selling. I had to go to on Craigslist as none of the sites at the time allowed these discussions. Flyertalk unofficially does now but you have to have been signed up for 6+months and have 200+ posts, and even then it's a trade based thing for elite travelers and newbies or people signing up just to join that part of the forum will be banned from the site. They're quite militant about it.

Anyways, purchasing these was more difficult than I imagine using silk road was. I had to use different email addresses and google voice numbers as I didn't want anything attached to my frequent flyer account. The person I bought from did something similar, had their mother leave a very cryptic voicemail to see if the number I gave was a real number or had any indication of it being a number tied to someone at corporate. It ended up working out and we both laughed at the misdirection we had to give to make the transaction. I had a friends mother forfeit over 90k miles because she bought an upgrade certificate (when they were actual certificates) on eBay. They almost didn't let her back into the program and she is a paying F type of customer.

Also, be aware that if you do complete the transaction, the owner of the miles can refund the miles at any moment and redeposit them back into their account without any notice to you. So it's an easy way to issue you a ticket, send it to you, get the money, and then refund the miles back and run away with your money. You'll have no recourse with the airline as calling them and saying that you bought the miles from the person (who's real name and contact information you won't have anyway) won't get you anywhere. Odds are the person you've contact illegally accessed the frequent flyer account in the first place.

Mackieman posted:

Much like boarding, upgrades and the process to acquire them varies from one airline to another. If you have questions about a specific airline, I'm happy to go into more detail. From a general standpoint, upgrades are given to elites on a space-available basis. Again, the rules and process for that vary from one carrier to another. Some offer them for sale, but they're generally not so much a paid upgrade as a buy-up to a fare that provides automatic upgrades to first class, regardless of status. Lots of detail and nuance here so, like I said, if you have questions about a specific airline I can go into the details.

Mackieman has it covered as usual but one thing that I think is worth pointing out is that it specifically is a upgrade space available basis, not just space. A lot of new elites are upset when they want to upgrade, are told there is no space, and see open business class seats at departure as they're boarding. Most airlines have some sort of algorithm that determines how many upgrade award seats are acceptable and won't free up more even if on your flight there are open seats.

Giving upgrades away to anyone is almost always a uniquely USA based legacy airline thing. Most international airlines will happily leave with open seats. And almost all international airlines won't "give" you anything, they'll be taking them in exchange for (usually only their, not alliance) miles. Your alliance elite status will almost always come second (if at all) to the carrier's specific elite status.

Just 2 things worth mentioning as people I've introduced to this game have almost always gotten a taste of nice treatment from airlines and then come back with those 2 questions.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 17, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye on my United mileage program, but it doesn't sound like programs in general are really my thing. My goal is to reduce flying to a known, consistent quantity as much as possible. I'd rather know that I can get on the plane, get my seat, and stow my carryon without a gate check than hope for and be disappointed when I don't get an upgrade.

I don't think I'm following you. I cannot fathom forfeiting something that you've paid for and earned, especially when in a few years that something can turn into what would cost you tens of thousands of dollars or enable you to do something you wouldn't otherwise be able to do. I'm in the middle of a RTW trip in Business with my wife that has made all of the earned flights and credit card usage worthwhile. Upgrades really aren't worth the fuss. The free ones suck and the paid for ones you almost always know well in advance if you're getting it or not. They don't define any sort of mileage program, they're just a small perk that some people take way too seriously.

If you go in expecting nothing and just watch that number grow, it's a completely worthwhile thing. Or just sell your miles to the person in the thread who wants a one way trip :>

EDIT: Getting a good bag has changed the way I fly now. I used to take a roller board and the biggest perk of being elite was the early boarding with guaranteed overhead space. But even then when there were 60+ elites onboard some flights it was dicey. Now, with proper folding and packing techniques I can get 3-4 day work trips out of a bag that will fit under the seat in front of me, including a laptop. The bag wasn't cheap and my work is often more casual than most but now I don't need a roller board. And it's the best thing ever.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 17, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I got out of Male back to KL and onto SIN with an unprotected connection by the skin of my teeth. Would have seriously botched my RTW ticket. Thank god for transit desks.

Scary stuff. May you have an easier time.

Btw Malaysia airlines is pretty bad and also hilarious. Never seen an airline literally shove someone on, basically hit them with the aircraft door and push back the aircraft with them still making their way down the aisle ( I have not spent too much time in china )

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Short answers : the person who files get the miles. Not the one that pays. So you should be good.

Codeshares are usually eligible for miles depending on fare class and in your case it looks like you should get 100% of miles due

General:

You should be able to claim the miles if you have the ticket numbers to the flights. united looks like they require scanned boarding passes but you may be able to call them and see if you can get the credit without them if you just have the ticket numbers. They are usually on receipts or confirmation emails.

Longer answers:

Getting the credit is most likely. I am sorry that you've had a bad time and your post is a mix of bullshit on united's part (no kiosks and the handling of emergency landing) and part just the poo poo of traveling. I'm not a united flyer or defender so take what I say with a grain of salt. My advice:

On your next flight try a new carrier. I don't know if it'll be better but give it a shot. Not like you are too heavily entrenched. See what happens. It may surprise you.

When something non weather related happens (plane maintenance usually) and you are so heavily delayed that you are going to be missing the reason for your flight, you are looking for something called trip-in-vain. Basically the airline will refund the ticket in the full amount as it's their fault that your trip would make no sense. However you usually need to request this ASAP and not after the fact. It depends on how long you stayed afterwards, etc. and entirely on a case by case basis. I don't see this working out in your case unfortunately b

You are due some sort of compensation for the delay though. Legally I'm not sure what that is. I would write united airlines customer service with a short description of what happened, all of the proof and information, and what you want. Key: request what you want specifically and keep the note short and direct to the point. See what they give you. It's been a while but still recent enough that they'll likely take action. Likely they will give you some money in the form of a travel voucher and some miles. It's pretty bad this was not done proactively. Last time I had an emergency landing on AA I was given 5k miles automatically and I called and got my next days flight refunded before I had walked out of the terminal. It was due to take off 3 hours from then and I was supposed to arrive 9 hours previous.

Last, grab the airline app. Check in there if you have no bags and can. It can help you avoid lines but not sure if flights to/from Mexico are eligible. I am guessing its a USA govt requirement that the flights from Mexico each have every passengers flight documents / passports verified by a human.

You've had a terrible string of bad luck. I can't imagine it'll continue no matter who you fly but if not please stay off of my flights in the future!

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 6, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pretty sure selected airports have US based airline check in kiosks. ICN allows it for flights to the US I believe. But generally it isn't approved.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So you can't use miles to book any part of these? If not, you should wait a (long) while to book.

No real options to pay with deposit. Your best bet is to get a credit card with no interest for X number of months and use that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Australia is expensive, period. It will be cheaper for you to go in May-August as this is their winter. You also have a bigger travel window rather than spring break. I wouldn't lose 2 days of a 7 day window traveling all the way down there, personally.

I've been twice now and the airfare "savings" are immediately forgotten when everything else is so expensive. If you're balking at the airfare there I'd be careful you're not going to be miserable thinking about the cost of everything in the day to day of vacationing there.

I flew SYD-AKL on Christmas Day and the flight was booked solid and I was only able to get business class FF tickets on the 7:30am flight, the rest of the day was already 0d out ~325 days before departure. But for those paying it may have been a bit cheaper.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Remember that at most international airports outside of the US you can transit without clearing immigration. So exit plane, metal detector, go to next gate

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

True and a good point. With cdg 60 min is usually good if your flights depart from the same terminal. If they don't make it 90 min.

But yes, just because it is legal doesn't make it any less nervewracking. But if there are limited flights a day to your final destination you may be stuck with the legal minimum.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's likely that much. 400 for a transcon is pretty standard now, you're traveling on a holiday weekend and you don't have much flexibility in dates. It kind of is what it is, but maybe mackieman can squeeze out 25 dollars or something.

Edit: 600 on southwest god they're such a joke from the west coast. So happy I don't fly them.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 18, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, I don't know if that theory holds too much water. The bank(s) issuing the cards are just purchasing a bunch of miles at a predetermined rate. It's nothing more than that and your history with the bank, the airline and free travel are basically irrelevant. I've had cards go inactive and had no problems signing up for other cards with equal bonuses. The airlines literally don't care and the credit card companies don't care as long as you're eligible for the card and met the requirements for the bonuses which are usually just length of time since you've had the card previously and completely unrelated to usage aside from cursory credit utilization ratio stuff.

And given United's recent devaluation I'd examine if they still make sense to use given that you don't really seem to fly all that much if your only perks are coming from credit cards. I find 1 way tickets to anywhere to be a (relatively) terrible value in comparison to the more exotic types of bookings but to each their own. I think I averaged just under 26 dollars in taxes on my most recent redemption, the large amount I'm sure is the loving taxes flying out of LHR in a premium cabin. I'm too lazy to figure it out now but at the time I think the fees were like 8 dollars to go to HKG or something.

Also, what's your monthly spend on these cards / amount of flying for conferences to not make you pay for airline tickets anymore? Just curious. Feels a little unsustainable to get 120k miles/year to do your travel once you get through the sapphire card and eat through the initial sign up bonuses, but maybe not.

RE: US Airways. I guess 45k is a good mileage amount. Back in my day we didn't sign up until we had 80k+ in bonus miles! But those days are long gone. Anyways I would sign up for it while you can (and dividend miles still exist), take the bonus, spend the minimum amount, immediately cancel, then sign up for the AAdvantage card and get that bonus as well. Then I'd probably sign up for the SPG Amex and use that full time, as I find AA to be much easier to use for award travel and for earning miles, with the SPG 1:1 ratio and 5k bonus for every 25k transferred.

You'll likely see more savings if you can book more than 2 weeks out. If it's so regular why wait until you're in the 21 or 30 day advance purchase window?

Edit: I should probably mention that it's rarely "that easy" as US Airways joins AAdvantage, it's kind of yet to be determined on how some of those benefits will roll in. I can already tell you that I doubt they're going to let the $89 card use first class check in, it's likely going to be business class or priority aaccess / gold check in where available. I also don't know if the 5k discount will extend to AAdvantage but hopefully. I'm kind of doubting it does given that you would want to book 2 1 way awards as each award is 12.5 and it seems like the card would subtract 5k from each award making the flights 7.5k, which is outrageously low. I'd still take the miles and use the plan above as the miles will transfer over to whatever the new program is. That being said I just checked IAH/SFO availability on AA and it looks awesome 2-4 weeks out for the cheapest economy awards. Nice!

sellouts fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 23, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just pop that information into ita matrix and see what you get. You are so specific with travel times and so last minute just take what you can get.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Joose Caboose posted:

Looking for a flight from NYC to AMS ideally on Aug 16th. Recently it's been showing me around $537 from JFK or $568 from EWR on IcelandAir. I'd pay a little extra for EWR for convenience of getting to airport and I see some more around $521 but they have a much longer layover. When I looked about a month ago (before trip was certain) I was seeing these around $460-470ish. Having never done a transatlantic flight before - is it worth waiting to see if it dips back to under $500 or should I jump on one now?

It's a little early but this seems like a good price.

Are you doing a one way? If so that's a really good price.

Are you looking at a round trip and only flying the first part?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's likely $200 + fare difference, and there's basically no good way around it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

The fare is actually $60 cheaper, so at least they'll be nice enough to only charge me $140.

Mackieman this is all your fault for not knowing this and telling him to wait :mad:

(Kidding fishman)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you're ticketed as one ticket the delays between carriers will be far less of a problem. That being said I try to stay on the same airline if price are the same.

I think you'll be fine with 2 hours but it's been a while since I've cleared US customs without GE.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Timbuk2 is a good bag if you want everything wrinkled. I used to lug it around and it's just plain uncomfortable in my opinion but maybe I just didn't know how to properly organize and pack then.

I went with a Tom Bihn TriStar and it owns. I can pack a ton of clothes + my laptop and shoes and more. It's expensive but the best travel upgrade I've made since global entry / tsa precheck.

Packing cubes are your friend!

Edit: you'd also be surprised what hotels have at the front desk if you ask. Toothbrush, tooth paste, shaving kit, etc. not as good as home mostly but great in a pinch

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

In coach it doesn't matter. They all stink.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The fare on kayak likely expired, which is why you couldn't book it. It means someone else snagged it before kayak was able to update their fare availability database.

The nested itinerary suggested is fine, but be aware of the consequences of delays causing you to miss any part of it (you will be treated as it being your fault you missed). Also be aware of potential checked luggage agreement problems, depending on carrier they might not have an inter line agreement or explaining to the agent at check in may be problematic.

Your Tokyo stop off being more is likely the airlines choice, however it could be tax and fee related. If I have time I will see but in London, for example, if you stopover you pay APD, if you connect you don't. It makes a big difference in cost.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Taking the long way around, eh?

Take a pic of that baggage tag if you get that done.

At least you are starting with a US agent.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Summer in Europe is popular everywhere. As is backpacking.

Any sort of deal is likely to go quickly and your approach makes sense. Finding a good deal is almost always very very tedious but when you find it it feels great. Good luck!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hub routing is usually the easiest to search but don't limit yourself to that. Sometimes a smaller route through a hub will be subsidized and be cheaper than if you booked just the first flight to the hub.

Is he from NYC? I didn't see that mentioned in his post. You can possibly save some money trying other airports but recently when I've looked the cost to get to those airports outweighs any savings. Admittedly it's been a while so this may have changed.

Also Icelandair does offer a free stopover on the way to or from Europe if you're into that, but god help you if any of your flights are delayed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's a lot of Avios! Congrats!

Can I ask how many Avios it cost you?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Given those fees I assume your awards are on BA?

I avoided them on my award travel. Fees are just way too high.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah my 11 or 13 flights in biz cost us around 500 in fees. Most of which were UK APD.

I did bring my pajamas from a previous AA flight. For overnight flights they're great.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For what it's worth J on AA's 773 exceeded CX as the best flight I've ever been on. Hard product, soft product, it all was great. F is probably that much better.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Goodbye bereavement fares

I don't know anyone that used them, but this makes it official on AA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Emasculatrix posted:

Where can I find more information about how to get better value in the future? We still have more points and another companion voucher.

Flyertalk, google, or here! $2200 on what should be a "free" flight should set off some alarm bells. Next time you're thinking about purchasing or using Avios put up a post.

LaserWash posted:

Speaking as someone who travels once or twice a year (relatively not much), I don't seem to understand the absolute need of some people to travel in first class (except maybe the exception of internationally). I like to think that economy seats get you to more places and is a temporary discomfort relative to the amount of time you are on that plane. Then again, I've never flown business or first, so there's that too.

This is likely off topic, but yes, the appeal of premium cabins are long flights and thus international flights with people who travel frequently enough to have their patience worn thin or by people who have had the luxury before and don't want to think about going back without it.