Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Emasculatrix posted:

I read they give you a pair of pajamas.

They do but they're nothing special. I used to do the catering for BA at JFK and snagged a pair or two :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mackieman posted:

It's a pretty soul crushing experience in coach, though, with 28" pitch. I'm flying on them SXF-OSL in December but paid the extra fee to pick seats in advance so I could snag the exit row for my wife and I. Best $13 ever spent.

On their 787 too? If so, that stinks. We were thinking about their $500 JFK-LGW since that's just a bit more than a standby zed fare.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Quabzor posted:

I am looking at prices for a round trip from chicago to san diego with kayak. The last two flights I tried to book it sends me to Orbit to make the booking, then after I enter in all of my information the page just says sorry that price is no longer available, its actually $100+ more than what we just showed you. Then I go back to kayak and orbits and it shows the same tickets at the same price? Is there some voodoo magic that I need to know to get it to show me the correct ticket price the first time or should I just try to buy the tickets straight from the airline site?

If at all possible I would book through the airline's website. I have had too many friends get hosed by kayak, etc. with extra charges and duplicate charges that have ended in cancelled tickets. Plus in the event your flight cancels you'll be a higher priority to the airline than third party tickets.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

FrenchPress posted:

Quick question-- I'm aiming to spend a week in Spain (Madrid and Barcelona) sometime in late July and will be flying from New York (booking relatively late, I guess).

A friend told me that it might be cheaper to fly to a city like London or Paris and take a connecting flight to Spain. How true is this, generally speaking as a rule of thumb? A flight and hotel package I looked up appears to be around $1,700 to $1,800. This seems like a good deal to me already, so I find it hard to believe that I'd be saving much if I were taking this route.

As well, does anyone have any experience with https://www.europeandestinations.com I'm looking at the reviews for this site and it seems to be all over the place, opinions-wise.

Thanks!

A friend of mine flies to Spain every few months out of JFK and they are usually booked in a similar time frame. I can't remember what he typically pays for his flights but he always ends up on a direct flight via IBE or AEA. Heathrow would never work out to be cheaper just because of the exorbitant taxes and fees they charge to fly in and out of there, unless something has changed since I last looked.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I'd also fly TAM, but EWR is fine as an airport. I don't live in NYC so I don't have the latest info but I dislike JFKs terminals system and the airtrain->subway connection requires a change and then an uncomfortable subway ride whereas from EWR there's a train that goes direct and was ok from what I remember

You can also skip the subway entirely. From the Jamaica airtrain station you can get on the LIRR and get to Manhattan in a fraction of the time but it'll cost you a couple extra bucks ($10 maybe?). I used to work at JFK until a couple years ago and this is my preferred way to get to the city from the airport.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

So, I'm trying to plan a trip over Christmas. Does anyone know of anywhere I can look to find only deals in that time frame, without a hard destination in mind? I'm pretty frustrated because most places don't advertise that week because they know that it's pricier than normal and they want to show low numbers.

Kayak Explore has something like that but you aren't likely to find anything cheap except maybe on xmas day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Deadheading is very much a thing but it's for on duty crew who are simply flying as a passenger in order to operate a flight from a different airport.