Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white

jyrka posted:

Is there a reason to put together a team now rather than at the last minute? Are the players' prices going to change between now and then?
Prices won't change until GW1 starts, no. The only real reason to do it now is so you don't have to do it later.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that this year FPL is doing a pay to play version with so far unexplained rules, other than you get 25 players and £160m transfer kitty to play with. http://fantasy.premierleague.com/ultimate/

Primpod fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
Nutetall Athletic

Assuming a chelsea DGW leading into a GW3 wildcard to get on the price increase bandwagons.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
Depending on how much you care, Fantasy Football Scout tend to do a decent set of articles prior to each season about the players to keep an eye on each category. So far they've done budget goalies and defenders. Impression I get is that there aren't any great value obvious picks like a Ricky Lambert coming up this time, just possibly some decent players for cheap.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
Campbell(7 in 12 since joining in jan) and Cornelius(18 in 34 for previous club) at Cardiff aren't bad shouts for 5.5m, though cardiff do have bad fixtures for the first few games. You could do worse than Anelka.

Primpod fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 16, 2013

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white

Hoops posted:

Is there any way to look your results from past years? There's a dispute in my mates' league about who won in 2011/12.

(it was definitely me btw)
"Pick Team" tab > "View Gameweek history" (on the right).

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
I'm at 65 so far with silva/hazard(c)/benteke and ivanovic left to play, which I'm pretty happy with. Funny story though is that my work league has the only two people who people who picked their team using Auto-Complete in second and third, with 60/55 points each, both with players still to play. Evidently it knows its stuff.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
Removing the DGW it's a harder call, but once you factor that in, getting the guy who scored who scored 19 last year, 7 in his last 4 in preseason and is the focal point for everything his team does is hardly a punt. Three goals was definitely better than expected though.

I ended up with 101 at the end of the week and it's downhill from here, I imagine.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
I suppose the question is whether you consider scoring against top teams a relevant stat compared to the others. 14 goals in 17 or whatever since jan, 7 goals in 4 games in preseason, including 2 past malaga. I didn't expect him to score three, but the guy scores a lot of goals and it was perfectly reasonable to think that given two games he's going to nick a goal.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
Looks like my assumption that week 1 was the best I'd do looked accurate. Currently at 5th and I imagine I'll drop a bit more over the next few weeks.

I feel the current craze for defenders is a little premature, and I expect that over the next weeks we'll see a more balanced set of results as more goals start turning up, but it does certainly seem like things are a lot more balanced wrt to points, particularly with cb's, and addressing my weak backline will probably be my priority at least.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white

trem_two posted:

I think a correction will be made, as it has Sakho getting points for a clean sheet also.
If you get a clean sheet then get subbed off before a goal's scored it still counts. It does feel a little odd him getting bonus for being subbed off early though.

With Suarez, he had a bunch of bps taken off for some reason post game, he went from 11 (the highest) to 7. FF community say that he was penalized for being offside and missing chances.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white

Altran posted:

LoL
But When he comes back, I will snatch rvp at a low price then captain him, suarez, and ramsey whoever has a weaker team lined up to play.
RVP is never going to be a low price. He could hemorrhage owners all season and he'll still be more expensive than any other player will be this season. For him to be worthwhile he'll need to overperform against Rooney more than suarez is overperforming against sturridge pre-injury. Not that he's not a solid pick, when he's there he's great, but he's a punt considering the more likely difference the 2.5m will make in defence/mid/your cheap striker.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
Don't really know how different it is to look for value and recognise it in specific players like Ward or James Chester. I'd say it's more about you deciding that you want to fill a certain position in certain way in the first place then just comparing some of the players around the price you want to pay to see what you can get with your money. If you decide you want a cheap defender or midfielder that plays, then obviously Ward is good value, but in the case of strikers, this season lots of people are playing with 2 or 3 more expensive players, and using 4m as a baseline is probably misleading because there isn't really much of any value under, say, 6m. Last season it was the same but with a lot of good midfielders and a lot of misfiring strikers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
Timely bump.

FPL have just started taking registrations for the free fpl ultimate beta if you want to give it a go before the end of the season.

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2014/02/12/fantasy-premier-league-ultimate-beta-spots-available-now/

• Locked thread