Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

planetarial posted:

Is the remake confirmed to air this fall or is it pushed back for 2014?

The newest information is an anniversary merchandise release timeline in the latest issue of Nakayoshi that had the new anime listed for sometime around November 2013 - January 2014.

So basically not fall season for sure, but possibly winter or even a start off-season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

My memory from when I was 3 is a little fuzzy though, can another goon tell me what was so bad about the voices? Up here in Canada the ones I really remembered were seasons 4 and 5 which (I think?) kept the original music and seemed pretty decent?
Not sure if the Canadian dub is different from the US one, but the US dub made lots of changes to make everyone more cliche/one-note, changed everyone's first names (but not their family names, oddly), and edited Haruka and Michiru so they were cousins. But kept all their flirting dialogue. And didn't edit out any of the more obviously romantic scenes.

The US dub got weird when they were introduced, is what I'm saying.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I still have a Sailor Moon wallscroll hanging above my bed at my parents' house. Going home is not a good time for a guest of mine.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!

busydelicious posted:

Also, just out of curiosity, how many of you guys bought the recently re-released manga translation of Sailor Moon? You think purchasing power in the west at all influenced the new series or no?

I did. The new translation isn't without flaws but it's much better than the Mixx/Tokyopop ones, most of which I still own. I'm sure a lot of people did what I did and bought them out of nostalgia, curiosity, and because the old volumes fell apart.

CaptainYesterday posted:

I still have a Sailor Moon wallscroll hanging above my bed at my parents' house. Going home is not a good time for a guest of mine.

Still have mine. No one ever sees it though.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I've only watched like 5-10 episodes of Sailor Moon when I was at other people's houses, because at home I didn't have the channel it aired on. The sheer length of it all, coupled with the episodic nature gives me the feeling it will be painfully slow to watch these days. And so I've been thinking about doing it (but never carrying it out) for like five years. :v:

My question is, should I bother watching it or should I just wait two more years until the remake?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Endorph posted:

Not sure if the Canadian dub is different from the US one, but the US dub made lots of changes to make everyone more cliche/one-note, changed everyone's first names (but not their family names, oddly), and edited Haruka and Michiru so they were cousins. But kept all their flirting dialogue. And didn't edit out any of the more obviously romantic scenes.

And every Usagi/Serena VA was worse than the last. The one one SuperS was terrible.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

TK-31 posted:

My question is, should I bother watching it or should I just wait two more years until the remake?

With knowing very little about the remake it's hard to tell. But you can try the manga which is much shorter and condensed (52 chapters).

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The anime is worth watching if you're the type of person who can enjoy 50 episodes of plot surrounded by 150 episodes of monster of the week and slice of life. The manga was serialized monthly and the anime started about a month after the first chapter was released, so they had little choice but to add tons of filler. While I love the manga, it suffers a lot from extremely fast pacing (season 1 of the anime is 46 episodes but the manga it adapts was originally 12 chapters) that results in very little development for anyone but Usagi. The addition of filler in the anime resulted in the majority of characters being far more fleshed out, which is not a bad thing, but it can drag for some people.

North of Gravity
Jun 30, 2007

did y0u pr0gram this r0b0t t0 have feelings f0r y0u?
R0MANTIC FEELINGS???

D --> Is that not ok
Holy poo poo, I was completely obsessed with Sailor Moon when I was 10. One of my friends had introduced me to it, and she used to mail checks to these people in Canada who would send her fan-subbed VHS copies of the unaired 5th season. This thread is bringing back so much nostalgia.

However, I can't believe no one's linked the goofiest Sailor Moon commercial to ever air yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMcg9hLw0E

"The negaverse is trying to drown the planet." :geno:

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
For all you guys wanting to watch the original series without all the filler, check out Sailor Moon Essentials.

http://animania.eclectic-world.com/post.cfm/sailor-moon-essential-episodes

I rewatched the series a while ago using this, and it doesn't feel like anything is missing at all.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Famine Poodle posted:

For all you guys wanting to watch the original series without all the filler, check out Sailor Moon Essentials.

I rewatched the series a while ago using this, and it doesn't feel like anything is missing at all.

Ohh, this looks like what I was looking for. Would this ruin it for a new person going in?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

North of Gravity posted:

Holy poo poo, I was completely obsessed with Sailor Moon when I was 10. One of my friends had introduced me to it, and she used to mail checks to these people in Canada who would send her fan-subbed VHS copies of the unaired 5th season. This thread is bringing back so much nostalgia.

However, I can't believe no one's linked the goofiest Sailor Moon commercial to ever air yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMcg9hLw0E

"The negaverse is trying to drown the planet." :geno:

Pffffthahahaha. Oh wow.

Mercury's hair is the absolute best.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Ohh, this looks like what I was looking for. Would this ruin it for a new person going in?
Nah, not really. You'll miss a couple of episodes that were filler but had some good character moments, but I don't think anything critical would be lost.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Endorph posted:

Meatball-head, rice burgers, :effort: Americanized names (where the gently caress did Lita come from?), Sailor Moon Says and kissing cousins. Dub Anime in the 90's :allears:

I was another one of those kids who watched both DBZ and Sailor Moon; the softer (yet still action packed) SM was a nice palate cleanser for PUNCHING AND YELLING AND TAKING CONSTIPATION FACES TO ANOTHER DIMENSION.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.

MadRhetoric posted:

where the gently caress did Lita come from?

I read somewhere that it's a play on "lightning."

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

MadRhetoric posted:

Americanized names (where the gently caress did Lita come from?)

I always assumed it was based off Jupiter's moon Leda :shrug:

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back
Oh man, I've been waiting for there to be some kind of announcement for the new show!
I tore through every tweet and all the pages and nothing, then Osabu tweeted about a delay and/or uncertainty when the show would come out and I was a bit disappointed.
So to get myself through until the show comes out I just decided to turn my town into a Sailor Moon theme in Animal Crossing :unsmith:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yatsuha posted:

So to get myself through until the show comes out I just decided to turn my town into a Sailor Moon theme in Animal Crossing :unsmith:

Do these work? I ran across them the other day when I was deciding if it would be worth getting a 3DS for one silly game.

The only problem with that Essentials list is that I worry it might skip some episodes that don't really advance the plot, but contain some great scenes.
re:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc-OqqRDSGg
Or the one where the girls find Rei's stash of crossdressing and/or lesbian romance manga. Which, incidentally, youtube has taken down and I can't find a duplicate anywhere:mad:. I don't know for sure if it does skip some of the fun ones, but you might be missing out on some great stuff if you skip too much.

Reference? Coincidence? I don't know, but I like it
Sailor Moon

Madoka Magica

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, the movies vary in quality but they all have at least one thing to recommend them by. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure one of them spends half of its screentime on Michiru making sexual innuendos while Haruka coughs awkwardly.

Also one has an adorable opening of the scouts as kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eIuWocaMCM

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

As frustrating as the anime is due to all the filler, I think you can miss out on a lot of great moments and character development. I think that's one area where the anime has the manga beat. The characters just seem more diverse and interesting in the anime compared to the manga. Not that the characters and the relationships are bad or boring in the manga, but sometimes I felt like some of the characters were too similar, while in the anime their differences are apparent and wonderful. Honestly, I think I just I enjoyed the friendships a lot more in the anime, but I liked the romance more in the manga.

Speaking of the anime having good parts, I finally got around to watching the entirety of Stars about 4 years ago (despite watching the rest probably 8 years before that). I actually really enjoyed it! There were some really funny clips, like all the characters fighting in Usagi's tiny kitchen, and Minako trying to get one of the Starlights to go to a dirty movie with her. Here's a clip from the kitchen fight (Please ignore the dumb opening and beginning, it's the only clip I could find of this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKby0Ui32wU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why is there all this love for Sailor Uranus/Neptune? As a kid, I thought they were boring characters. Not as cool as the normal Scouts. Also, did anyone actually buy that they were cousins? Even as a kid, I knew they were lesbians.

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back

a kitten posted:

Do these work? I ran across them the other day when I was deciding if it would be worth getting a 3DS for one silly game.

Yeah that one works fine :D Just gotta get the Bun Wig (and if you want to have blonde hair, wait for Shampoodle to open)

It takes about 10 days to unlock the QR machine after you pester the able sister at the sewing machine.
http://en.doubutsu.qr-matome.info/tag/Sailor%20Moon has more (and a few others for different anime)

I kinda want that compact they're releasing for the 20th anniversary, but I can't find it. :(
I already pre-ordered a case from Jlist for my phone though!

edit:

Ascetic Crow posted:

Why is there all this love for Sailor Uranus/Neptune? As a kid, I thought they were boring characters. Not as cool as the normal Scouts. Also, did anyone actually buy that they were cousins? Even as a kid, I knew they were lesbians.

Sailor Neptune and Pluto were my favourites. I think maybe a reason for the outer senshi love is they didn't air the episodes for S and Super S until 5 years after they finished with the first two seasons in the US. (It was like 95 or 96 maybe?)

Yatsuha fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 18, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ascetic Crow posted:

They're cool, have a good bit of depth to them, are cool, and it's nice to see a couple in an anime that's just canonically gay, straight-up. That's pretty rare outside of stuff where that's specifically the point.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
It was also nice to see that Uranus and Neptune didn't adhere to the stereotypical butch/femme stereotypes about lesbians in that the femme one was generally the more dominant one in the relationship. Also the fact that they weren't there for fanservice, they were just women who were in love with each other. It still says a lot about the way LGBTQ characters are portrayed when they're probably the closest thing I've seen in a lot of media to a realistic lesbian relationship.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

MadRhetoric posted:

Meatball-head, rice burgers, :effort: Americanized names (where the gently caress did Lita come from?), Sailor Moon Says and kissing cousins. Dub Anime in the 90's :allears:

For all its faults, the dub still had some pretty awesome 90s music (spoilers for most of the series in all these videos by the way).

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Man oh, oh man, Sailor Moon. While the first anime series I was exposed to were Speed Racer, Gatchaman (G-Force: Guardians of Space version), and Robotech, I was just the right age when Sailor Moon came on the air. At the same time I was also getting into Dragon Ball/DBZ and Ronin Warriors, so I got to have my magical girls acting like real girls, my wacky adventures that segued into POWER LEVELS, and my magical pretty boys with ARMOR LEVELS. I met my best friend thanks to Sailor Moon; fan art I drew of the characters got posted on one of my teacher's walls so my friend asked who drew them and sought me out because she too like the show. We both are currently buying the new translation of the manga, it has been really fun revisiting the series with her and sending each other cards with doodles of the characters like we did in the old days.

Speaking of the old days, it was still the time where unless you lived in a city with a Japantown or Chinatown, good loving luck finding anime merch of any kind. The local comic book stores would get bootleg items like playing cards on occasion and we would save up to make them our own. I remember diligently exploring Geocities and Angelfire for any pictures and information I could get my hands on, recording mp2s that took hours to download onto a cassette tape so I could play songs from the Japanese version for my friends. It blew our drat minds how similar the Japanese opening song sounded to the English opening song! Ah, sweet youth.

P.S. Buy Pop-Tarts.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I am cautiously optimistic that the reasin DokiDoki has been so poor compared to Smile is because Toei is more focused on making the return of Sailor Moon as amazing as it can be.

I don't understand the classification of Momoclo as anti-idol, though. My friend is a big fan of them and to me they seem like a pretty standard idol group, just with a sentai/ magical girl gimmick to their act.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Pyrotoad posted:

For all its faults, the dub still had some pretty awesome 90s music (spoilers for most of the series in all these videos by the way).

You left out the best song.

That's Stan Bush, for the record. Personally I like it better than either of the songs he did for Transformers.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Whatever this is where it's at

I own that CD.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

Ascetic Crow posted:

This is the opposite of me. This may tell you more about me, but when I was a little boy, I was like, "Anime dudes yelling and fighting? No sir, give me the show with girls chasing boys and gossiping!"

Then I got enthralled by Rurouni Kenshin and I was all aboard the Japan train.

I feel cool because I liked both as a child, a true conoisseur of japanimation.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

I feel cool because I liked both as a child, a true conoisseur of japanimation.

Pshh, a true connoisseur would have learned Nipponese and watched Cutie Honey by then.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I loved how after whole episodes of Serena bitching about having to exercise or something they put in a segment at the end in the dub with her wholeheartedly shilling it.

At least use Mercury or Mars for it, why would I take her advice?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Ascetic Crow posted:

This is the opposite of me. This may tell you more about me, but when I was a little boy, I was like, "Anime dudes yelling and fighting? No sir, give me the show with girls chasing boys and gossiping!"

Then I got enthralled by Rurouni Kenshin and I was all aboard the Japan train.

This was me too, but for another reason entirely. It may have been girly as hell, but a) I could easily suss out what was going on and who to root for, and b) stuff happened in it. I wanted to get into DBZ because it was what some of my friends were into, but... what was even happening? Why did the green dude kill that one dude and take his kid? What the hell is a Saiyan? And how loving long does it take to charge up whatever the heck in the sky? Say what you will about Sailor moon, at least you knew the basic plot (guys from the moon trying to destroy the earth, stop them) and you could tell everyone apart. Seriously, I though it was so cool all the various powers on display here: one girl uses fire, another uses lighting, one shoots lasers, another does cool poo poo with time... it was a panoply of characters, and no one really got benched during the fighting. (Except for Sailor Saturn, and I still wanna see what her whole deal is...) It was pretty cool, and my first real anime I watched on a semi-regular basis.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Famine Poodle posted:

Oh awesome, someone's made a Kai list for Sailor Moon. This is exactly what I need, thanks!

Ha, some person's marked pretty much all of that one episode with Minako nursing everyone as a funny moment, sounds about right, actually.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 24, 2013

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

There's going to be a NicoNico livestream announcement with some new information tomorrow! It looks like they'll be talking about the anime, a new musical, and possibly more. If anyone's interested, you can watch it here if you don't have a premium NicoNico account. I don't know if I'll be watching, but I'll be hoping we finally get an air date, at the very least. It'll air at 4am EST, Sunday.

Did anyone here know about the new musical? I don't think I've heard a single thing about it, but I'm not too interested in the musicals. Am I missing out? All the live action stuff seemed so drat cheesy, so I really don't pay much attention to it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The musical was cheesy, but in a kind of amazing way. And I distinctly remember Tuxedo Mask twirling in from off-stage, posing, then just randomly twirling past and back off-stage while everyone stared blankly at him.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Having just finished up the manga (which ruled, btw) I wanted to share a statistic I noticed.

Number of Roses Thrown by Tuxedo Mask: 0

Not one! I figured at some point he'd throw one, if only as a nod to the anime version, but nope; exactly zero rose-chucking involved.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Endorph posted:

The musical was cheesy, but in a kind of amazing way. And I distinctly remember Tuxedo Mask twirling in from off-stage, posing, then just randomly twirling past and back off-stage while everyone stared blankly at him.

There's actually more than one musical. One of them features a song with five Tuxedo Masks. They're all incredibly cheesy but if you're a fan of the series its worth watching one or two.

busydelicious
Jan 5, 2009

they call it chivalry
never pull a punch for free

Chrysolith posted:

There's going to be a NicoNico livestream announcement with some new information tomorrow! It looks like they'll be talking about the anime, a new musical, and possibly more. If anyone's interested, you can watch it here if you don't have a premium NicoNico account. I don't know if I'll be watching, but I'll be hoping we finally get an air date, at the very least. It'll air at 4am EST, Sunday.

Did anyone here know about the new musical? I don't think I've heard a single thing about it, but I'm not too interested in the musicals. Am I missing out? All the live action stuff seemed so drat cheesy, so I really don't pay much attention to it.

Thank you so much for this update! I don't know if I'll be awake for it, BUT as soon as I wake up on Sunday I know there'll be awesome news to see!

Also, who bought the final manga re-release? It made me so irrationally happy to finally buy it. I just know, that once the new series airs, I'm gonna spend so much money on merch. My husband might kill me, but my will is weak and my love of Sailor Moon is so drat strong!

Omg, what if there are new video games?! Like, a true Sailor Moon RPG like the Utena one on the SEGA Saturn CD (where you were a new student/duelist with multiple endings!)? That would be the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

busydelicious posted:

Thank you so much for this update! I don't know if I'll be awake for it, BUT as soon as I wake up on Sunday I know there'll be awesome news to see!

Also, who bought the final manga re-release? It made me so irrationally happy to finally buy it. I just know, that once the new series airs, I'm gonna spend so much money on merch. My husband might kill me, but my will is weak and my love of Sailor Moon is so drat strong!

Omg, what if there are new video games?! Like, a true Sailor Moon RPG like the Utena one on the SEGA Saturn CD (where you were a new student/duelist with multiple endings!)? That would be the best.

Sailor Moon: Another Story for the Super Nintendo was a pretty good rpg as far as animes go. Classic turn based battle system, good graphics for its time, inventory that made sense in the context of the series (equipment was mainly accessories, no weapons or armor), and it had two endings. I guess my point is that people should play this game if they enjoy Sailor Moon.

• Locked thread