Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
As terrible as the She-Ra style Sailor Moon series would have been, I can't help but feel that a re-imagining of Sailor Moon that has them sailboarding through space to fight evil would be kind of cool in a 80's way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Also, someone said the new manga releases have a better translation. Does the Stars arc make any sense now? I was never sure if I was confused because the translation was bad or if it just makes no sense in general.

It's a good translation; Mari Morimoto is as good as you're going to find. The "wild cosmic weirdness" ideas that get tossed about could be a bit confusing, but that's more a fault of the story than the translator. I had no trouble with it :shobon:

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
That and there are a couple notes about what they mean by 'cosmic bodies' or whatever just to make sure you know what set of things are meant by what they're saying in Stars. Really the new translation has been great, there's stuff like Pluto's description of what Mugen Gakuen is doing to the surrounding area that was incomprehensible the first time around and makes perfect sense now.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Why are we talking about the manga which had clunky, rushed pacing when we could be talking about how the first season of Sailor Moon is one of the most solid shows made in the last 20 years? Not just of the magical girl variety, but just animated shows in general; it really holds up well.

It goes heavily off the rails for R though; where the first season did have its repetition, R is where the show gets its reputation for being overly formulaic to the point of being boring. It makes up for it with what a great season S is...but then it's SuperS, and it's all downhill from there. Oh well! The first season still stands as some sort of monument to when people Gave A poo poo.

My recommendation to anyone watching for the first time ever/in years is to watch Classic and S, and skip the rest. You'll have a really solid experience that wraps itself up nicely. Mmmmmmaybe do R, but skip the beginning arc with the aliens, and skip the filler episodes with the 4 sisters, and go straight to the Time Gate and Crystal Tokyo. SuperS is only worth a watch because it looks nice and has a decent finale (which leads into the beginning of Stars, which has always confused/annoyed me). Stars - I pretend it doesn't exist.

Also if any of you ever want to step into a timewarp, I went this thing this year and it was like stepping into the past:

http://www.senshimatsuri.com

The website has a goddamn midi

Also just gonna leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-VKaA8ruf4

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 13, 2013

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I remember watching this and one of the various Sonic shows while waiting for my bus to school every morning. The only reason I even liked the show was because of the opening. (This is why the American version is the best because it had that sweet '90s guitar riff so prevalent in cartoons of that era.) Then I would wonder why the characters were so annoyingly lovely. My favorite parts were when Usagi failed or was mocked just because she was so insufferable.

And since they only played the first season or so on endless repeat, I kept wondering when the gently caress Venus would show up because she was mentioned in the OP but wasn't in the group.

I didn't even know there was a whole cycle of death/rebirth theme going on until my girlfriend in college educated me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

This is, well, amazing.

A-a-amazing.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

StrangersInTheNight posted:

My recommendation to anyone watching for the first time ever/in years is to watch Classic and S, and skip the rest. You'll have a really solid experience that wraps itself up nicely. Mmmmmmaybe do R, but skip the beginning arc with the aliens, and skip the filler episodes with the 4 sisters, and go straight to the Time Gate and Crystal Tokyo. SuperS is only worth a watch because it looks nice and has a decent finale (which leads into the beginning of Stars, which has always confused/annoyed me). Stars - I pretend it doesn't exist.

Agreed on everything but StarS, I will fight you over this :mad:

But really, the first season had a really great plot, but a ton of filler and really weird pacing. It takes like 10 episodes to introduce Sailor Mercury, then 2 to introduce Sailor Mars, then two major bad guys die before they get to Sailor Jupiter and the rainbow crystal arc. They could have cut it down to half the size and had a much better result. R had a lot of good stuff - more in depth characterization, parts of the plot that laid the groundwork for the entire rest of the series, by far the best movie- but had even worse pacing than the first season. S is loving amazing, with great characters, relatively good pacing, and more depth than the previous seasons. SuperS is awful and full of little girl on horse erotica. StarS is probably my favorite, because it really feels like Sailor Moon finally grew up into a real anime.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Agreed on everything but StarS, I will fight you over this :mad:

But really, the first season had a really great plot, but a ton of filler and really weird pacing. It takes like 10 episodes to introduce Sailor Mercury, then 2 to introduce Sailor Mars, then two major bad guys die before they get to Sailor Jupiter and the rainbow crystal arc. They could have cut it down to half the size and had a much better result. R had a lot of good stuff - more in depth characterization, parts of the plot that laid the groundwork for the entire rest of the series, by far the best movie- but had even worse pacing than the first season. S is loving amazing, with great characters, relatively good pacing, and more depth than the previous seasons. SuperS is awful and full of little girl on horse erotica. StarS is probably my favorite, because it really feels like Sailor Moon finally grew up into a real anime.

Stars is the best season because it doesn't have Mamoru in it and Usagi at least sort of has to do things on her own.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

StrangersInTheNight posted:

but skip the beginning arc with the aliens,
You at least need to watch the episodes with Fire Soul Bird and Supreme Thunder Dragon :black101:, which are some of the coolest attacks in the entire series :colbert:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Stars is the best season because it doesn't have Mamoru in it and Usagi at least sort of has to do things on her own.

Stars is the best season because Stars is the gayest season. :rory:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Potsticker posted:

This girl knows whats up.

I agree, she was the best. Sorry when I said perfect I meant Mercury had no flaws which made her really boring (not to start a fight with anyone that likes her.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Also, someone said the new manga releases have a better translation. Does the Stars arc make any sense now? I was never sure if I was confused because the translation was bad or if it just makes no sense in general.

Whilst Stars was egocentric as hell (Reading it in a Post-Madoka light certainly colours one experience with it) the improved print quality certainly helps things make a bit more sense. (For example, during the Sailor Aluminum Siren fight, the Tokyopop print makes it look like she broke Mercury and Jupiter's Necks whilst the reprint makes it clear that they were thrown in the way of Moon's attack which makes why they were blown away make a ton more sense. Story wise, it's utterly bonkers (and part of me sees Ikuhara constantly kicking himself for not sticking around to direct it) but I certainly pick it over the TV showing of events.

Seriously, everything after episode 7 of Stars was pure concentrated butt, The great ChibiChibi Towel/Cake Conundrum be damned.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 15, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Chrysolith posted:

As frustrating as the anime is due to all the filler, I think you can miss out on a lot of great moments and character development. I think that's one area where the anime has the manga beat. The characters just seem more diverse and interesting in the anime compared to the manga. Not that the characters and the relationships are bad or boring in the manga, but sometimes I felt like some of the characters were too similar, while in the anime their differences are apparent and wonderful. Honestly, I think I just I enjoyed the friendships a lot more in the anime, but I liked the romance more in the manga.

Speaking of the anime having good parts, I finally got around to watching the entirety of Stars about 4 years ago (despite watching the rest probably 8 years before that). I actually really enjoyed it! There were some really funny clips, like all the characters fighting in Usagi's tiny kitchen, and Minako trying to get one of the Starlights to go to a dirty movie with her. Here's a clip from the kitchen fight (Please ignore the dumb opening and beginning, it's the only clip I could find of this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKby0Ui32wU

Moon Tiara Action with the pizza had me genuinely rolling on the floor laughing. That was just awesome.

Famine Poodle posted:

No way. Promise of the Rose was the best movie by far.

Agreed, especially Moon Revenge at the end, probably the best Sailor Moon song of all times, sung by the seiyū of the Sailor Senshi over the very last part of the film. Epic, and anybody who did not do this should watch the Japanese version of Promise of the Rose.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Moon Revenge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytpklTFdOLw

Here's some more epicness.

(spoilers for Promise of The Lost Rose if anyone was planning to watch that)

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Moon Revenge was always an interesting song for me, because there are some disagreements on how some of the lines should get translated.

One camp seems to lean towards Usagi's first line in the song talking about how love can become a beautiful, hollow shell.

The other camp leans towards Usagi's first line in the song talking about how sometimes leaving behind a beautiful corpse is the best you can manage.

Considering how Usagi, in the first couple of seasons, resolved EVERYTHING with a suicidal attack, both work in the context given.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
Speaking of epicness, I just found this:

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8dXOz_XZL8&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/url]

I'm really liking the liberties they took with the translation.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Famine Poodle posted:

Speaking of epicness, I just found this:

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8dXOz_XZL8&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/url]

I'm really liking the liberties they took with the translation.

Holy poo poo, this is fantastic. I am embarrassed to say I have a soft spot for Sailor Moon even though I was too old to be it's target audience when it was shown originally in the US. I guess everyone is a 12 year old girl at heart sometimes. :)

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 20, 2013

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Moon Revenge talk reminded me of my favorite song from the musicals, Sailor War. My favorite version has to be Supreme from the Stars revisions though, so much going on at once yet it works so well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZe3a_yDQb4

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked

Suben posted:

I'll admit that I'm not a Ph.D. in Animeology but I think part of what's so appealing about Sailor Moon is that it's just a ridiculous show visually with all the wacky cartoon physiology that doesn't seem to exist as much in modern anime.

Like it doesn't seem you get a lot of stuff like that gif or this anymore:

I know this is the Sailor Moon thread, but if you want a recent mahou shoujo anime with lots of wacky faces, then Heartcatch Precure is your answer.

In fact, someone made a music video out of that one character's expressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQrt268LpDU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SDShamshel posted:

I know this is the Sailor Moon thread, but if you want a recent mahou shoujo anime with lots of wacky faces, then Heartcatch Precure is your answer.

In fact, someone made a music video out of that one character's expressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQrt268LpDU

Naruto also has these moments quite often, or had because we are heading for the end of the story. Just like the last episodes of Sailor Moon were also very focused and serious, as was proper of course.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm currently at a "Summer Sailor Moon Event" in Austin. It's a few hours of Sailor Moon-related footage stitched together at a theater. I've never felt more like a 12-year-old girl.

edit: well that was amazing. I think I need to see some of the musicals now.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 25, 2013

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

edit: well that was amazing. I think I need to see some of the musicals now.

Luckily all but 1-2 are subbed. If you've actually seen the entire anime (or read the manga) I would suggest one of the Stars musicals, such as the cleverly named Sailor Stars (remake) or Eien Densetsu (remake). Links are to wiki pages, not where to get them.

The musicals didn't really hit their stride until these two, when they finally had all the relevant characters in place.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Smoking Crow posted:

This thread is for all the stupid fan poo poo about Sailor Moon, like this: Sailor Jupiter is the best Sailor. Deal with it. :colbert:

First post is still the most correct post

U.T. Raptor posted:

You at least need to watch the episodes with Fire Soul Bird and Supreme Thunder Dragon :black101:, which are some of the coolest attacks in the entire series :colbert:

I'm pretty sure I don't have any old journals detailing why I liked Jupiter the most but it probably had something to do with her using attacks like shooting lightning dragons out of her forehead.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

First post is still the most correct post

I'm pretty sure I don't have any old journals detailing why I liked Jupiter the most but it probably had something to do with her using attacks like shooting lightning dragons out of her forehead.

you misspelled Venus and Love Chain pretty badly :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Venus' Love Chain never made much sense. The other girls all had elemental powers, but Venus was just 'Love'? That's not an element!

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I generally thought of Venus as "the blonde who wasn't Moon".

edit:

My thought process as a 12 (13?) year old boy

Mercury: the nice girl who doesn't do anything
Venus: the blonde who isn't Moon
Moon: why is she the main character
Mars: the mean girl who sets things on fire
Jupiter: THUNDER DRAGONSSSSSSSSS

Gotta Wear Shades fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 31, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Venus' Love Chain never made much sense. The other girls all had elemental powers, but Venus was just 'Love'? That's not an element!
It might be an element. :colbert:

At least Venus is cooler than that chucklehead Ma-Ti.

Besides Venus will gently caress you up. :black101:

er, I mean:

edited to add clarity as to who is the chucklehead.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 31, 2013

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Edit: ^^^ That's a dude

To be honest, I just tend to root for the least popular/featured character in any given show, so for me it was Venus, then Neptune, then Star Maker (his/her power is Star Gentle Uterus, no one gonna get behind that poo poo)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Potsticker posted:

Venus also refers to the Roman version of Aphrodite, so it makes sense there, while Jupiter refers to Roman version of Zeus. Mars and Mercury derive their elements from the Japanese planet names though, with Mars's fire from 火星 and Mercury's water from 水星 though arguably they could refer to their deity's namesakes as well, that being Ares and Hermes.

EDIT: If you're curious, technically Jupiter's element should be wood while Venus's should be gold, which admittedly her chain is made out of. Or maybe Love=Gold.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 31, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's a Sailor Moon Redraw meme thing going around on tumblr recently. Results may vary.

Many more here

As well as on the tag for it on tumblr itself.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Allarion posted:

Venus also refers to the Roman version of Aphrodite, so it makes sense there, while Jupiter refers to Roman version of Zeus. Mars and Mercury derive their elements from the Japanese planet names though, with Mars's fire from 火星 and Mercury's water from 水星 though arguably they could refer to their deity's namesakes as well, that being Ares and Hermes.

EDIT: If you're curious, technically Jupiter's element should be wood while Venus's should be gold, which admittedly her chain is made out of. Or maybe Love=Gold.

Jupiter's 4th arc attack Oak Evolution is a reference to the wood thing. Venus gets gold... stuff.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

aers posted:

Jupiter's 4th arc attack Oak Evolution is a reference to the wood thing.
Also, her third attack (which never made it into the anime because gently caress if I know :shrug:) was Coconut Cyclone.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also, her third attack (which never made it into the anime because gently caress if I know :shrug:) was Coconut Cyclone.

Forget the Thunder Dragon. Coconut Cyclone is where it's at.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
She also had Flower Hurricane in the live action. Her colouring is very woody too. Brown and green with a little bit of pink for flowers.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

a kitten posted:

It might be an element. :colbert:

At least Venus is cooler than that chucklehead Ma-Ti.

Besides Venus will gently caress you up. :black101:

er, I mean:

edited to add clarity as to who is the chucklehead.

Love in the Sailor Moon universe is apparently composed of lasers not feelings.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SirDan3k posted:

Love in the Sailor Moon universe is apparently composed of lasers not feelings.

Wrong, in the Sailor Moon universe lasers are composed of feelings not light.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Elfgames posted:

Wrong, in the Sailor Moon universe lasers are composed of feelings not light.

Then they'd be fasers "feeling amplification by stimulated emission of radiation" :science:.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
This show was the true beginning to my anime descent. I still compare all magical girl anime to Sailor Moon.

Yes the Stars season had serious issues but Mamoru wasn't in it, making it my 2nd favorite season to Super. Super was just top to bottom amazing.

Which reminds me, I need to binge through my favorite Sailor Moon seasons before the remake starts.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Apparently demand for the new musical was so high that after selling out super quick, they decided to stream the last performance on niconico. Ticket costs 2000 yen. I think we have a couple musical fans here.

Keep in mind this is a live performance at 5 PM JST which is late night/early morning in America and morning in Western Europe.

Edit:

Ah, they locked it to Japan only. You can probably still watch via some proxy tricks but it might be a pain.

aers fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Someone is going to rip the stream and subtitle it right. Right? :gbsmith:

• Locked thread