Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neptune is the best scout, sorry.

I'm really looking forward to the remake, even if it seems to be slipping further and further away from being released in a reasonable timeframe.

Die Laughing posted:

Is it true that the new Tuxedo Mask will wear a fedora? I used to want to be just like him when I was a young boy. Maybe now he'll be a goony goon, and I can aim low instead of high.
I don't think any design changes or new designs have been shown, and I'm not sure why they'd change Tuxedo Mask's design at all. It's kind of iconic, and unlike the gloriously 90s fashion of the girl's casual outfits, it's pretty timeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For me at least, the appeal is the characters. Like they're kind of cartoon stereotypes in a way but their interactions are really fun and they develop enough to have a lot of life to them.

Usagi and Rei have basically the best dynamic ever, too. They're kind of assholes to each other and somehow that makes them really believable friends.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

My memory from when I was 3 is a little fuzzy though, can another goon tell me what was so bad about the voices? Up here in Canada the ones I really remembered were seasons 4 and 5 which (I think?) kept the original music and seemed pretty decent?
Not sure if the Canadian dub is different from the US one, but the US dub made lots of changes to make everyone more cliche/one-note, changed everyone's first names (but not their family names, oddly), and edited Haruka and Michiru so they were cousins. But kept all their flirting dialogue. And didn't edit out any of the more obviously romantic scenes.

The US dub got weird when they were introduced, is what I'm saying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Ohh, this looks like what I was looking for. Would this ruin it for a new person going in?
Nah, not really. You'll miss a couple of episodes that were filler but had some good character moments, but I don't think anything critical would be lost.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, the movies vary in quality but they all have at least one thing to recommend them by. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure one of them spends half of its screentime on Michiru making sexual innuendos while Haruka coughs awkwardly.

Also one has an adorable opening of the scouts as kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eIuWocaMCM

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ascetic Crow posted:

Why is there all this love for Sailor Uranus/Neptune? As a kid, I thought they were boring characters. Not as cool as the normal Scouts. Also, did anyone actually buy that they were cousins? Even as a kid, I knew they were lesbians.
They're cool, have a good bit of depth to them, are cool, and it's nice to see a couple in an anime that's just canonically gay, straight-up. That's pretty rare outside of stuff where that's specifically the point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The musical was cheesy, but in a kind of amazing way. And I distinctly remember Tuxedo Mask twirling in from off-stage, posing, then just randomly twirling past and back off-stage while everyone stared blankly at him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nostalgia Critic did a review of the anime. Highlights include calling Usagi 'stupid and slutty' and going on like only pedophiles cared about the show, and not, y'know, tons of little girls the world over.

I'm not linking it here because do you really want to watch that?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I prefer anime Haruka and Michiru because the manga seemed vaguely confused about what a lesbian actually was. The anime basically just went 'these two ladies are dating' while the manga went with this weird NEITHER MALE NOR FEMALE thing without actually getting into trans issues or anything. It was kind of bizarre.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On the other hand, the Buu Saga without the filler would be like 7 episodes. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Out of curiosity, why does the English speaking fnadom call it Precure? "Pretty Cure" is freaking 2 letters longer, it doesn't make sense.

Edit: Although, come to think of it, it's only like 3 characters longer in Japanese :shrug:
PreCure sounds cooler.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MagicalDuck posted:

We need a dedicated PreCure thread.
We shoudl combine the Sailor Moon and Madoka Magica threads into one unholy being.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

We can call it Walpurgis Night. :haw:
It would probably result in as many horrible deaths, anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It wouldn't surprise me, since she had a lot of problems with the original anime, didn't she?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sailor moon anime confirmed for January 2014, with subtitles in 10 languages, including, presumably, English.

This post confirmed for the right thread!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wait, what's wrong with it? It looks pretty good to me. I mean it's just BUY OUR STUFF but what'd you expect?

If you mean the lack of the other three main scouts, isn't that because the 20th anniversary volumes with them on the cover aren't out yet?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Half the sections are grayed out so they can be lit up when news is revealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

legendaryorange posted:

That makes sense to an extent. I just really wish they'd given better role models growing up. :keke:
Honestly, the fact that the characters in Sailor Moon are kinda assholes and idiots a lot of the time but still do the right thing makes them much more relateable and true-to-life than the perfect characters you'd get in a lot of other cartoons of the time.

But that could just be a jaded adult talking.

• Locked thread