Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
The Finding of the High Seat Pillars.

After struggling to a sitting position, you take the boy from Nauma. He is a large baby with a thick shock of dark red hair on him.

“We will call him Donar,” you say. “for he looks like the Thunderer. Donar Sea-born.”

Sea-born?” Nauma asks.

“Most men are born on land, or at worst in a ship. He was born in the oceans black embrace, and yet lived. We should honor him for that.”

Nauma nods at your words, and then goes to tell the others you have awoken. There is much rejoicing in this, particularly from Ásúlf, who wraps you in a bear hug that threatens to crush Donar, who is trapped between you two. Nauma quickly snatches the child away so it can breathe.

You note quickly that things have gotten grim since you have been unconscious. The survivors have done nothing but sit on their laurels and wait for you to wake up. A small stream has given them water and they have been lucky enough to find a crate of salted meat in the flotsam. But they have been getting on each others nerves. Ásúlf in particular seems edgy. He explains he has not had much to drink for a few days, which makes him surly. Obviously people need things to do.

Quickly you assign Ásúlf and Myrun to go explore your new land, and try to find wild game for food. You also send Steinbjorn to accompany them and look for any edible plants or grains. Lambi, Solva, and Fearghas are to salvage what they can from the beach, and take an accounting of what has survived. Above all else, everyone is to keep an eye out for the Öndvegissúlur, the high seat pillars. Solva and Nauma agree that finding them is a priority. The gods will punish you and your ruling power will diminish if they are not found. And should anyone come across other men, mortal or not, they must act exactly as you tell them .

1. What are your followers to do if they see other people?
A. Run away.
B. Hide and observe as best you can.
C. Offer greetings from afar but let them be.
D. Talk to them, but tell them nothing about the party.
E. Talk to them, tell them everything.
F. Try to kill them and rob them.
G. Something Else (what?)

Two days pass. Domarr awakens but is still weak. He often spends hours just staring up into the sky with no expression on his face. Nauma believes he is cursed and wishes to make a blood sacrifice for an augury, but you have no animals to offer. You feel strength returning to you and have started to wander the shores with the aid of a crutch. You find this land to be very beautiful if hauntingly barren. You feel like you have made the right choice to settle here, far away from the worlds of Kings and Princes.

While on one of your walks, you come across something floating in the surf. With great care you wade out to see what it is. It is a large piece - the size of a man - of scaly skin. The rainbow sheen marks it as the skin of the sea serpent that almost killed you all. While you are slightly disappointed since this is proof you did not kill the beast, it’s skin is both strong and beautiful and you already can think of many things to do with this prize.

2 . What should you do with the serpent skin?
A. Put it away, so you can display it in your hall.
B. Put it away so you can sell/gift it.
C. Give it to Nauma to make an article of clothing out of. ( If so what?
D. Other (What?)

On the third day since you have awoken, Fearghas suddenly appears to the north, the Irishman sprints down the beach to you, yelling at the top of his lungs. It take awhile for the wind to carry his words, but once they reach you they are clear.

“We have found them!”

------------------------------------------------------

The high seat pillars have come to rest on the banks of a large fjord. The fjord is surrounded on all sides by rising hills. The ones to the south are more mountains than hills, but to the north and west the plains rise a bit slower. To the west is a large floodplain where a river winds it’s way slowly to the sea. On the far side of the plain is the river’s source, a large water fall, cutting a clean white line through the wall of rock that looms over the plain. This location is a good size, you could easily fit three of your childhood villages in this valley. The hills and mountains around you keep you from seeing what lies beyond, but it will likely keep others from stumbling across you as well.

The pillars themselves have beached on north western end of the fjord. While everyone else travels back to pack up the camp, you, and Naum - with Donar strapped to her back - stay and fish the pillars out of the surf. One is carved to Odin and shows many of the Gallows God’s stories in a twisting and winding pattern. The other is to Freya, at Nauma’s request. The goddess of beauty is also a powerful user of seidhr, second only to Odin, and Nauma hoped honoring Freya in such a distant land would win her favor.

Carrying the pillars back from the sea you pound them into the ground. Here will be your seat of power. Here will be your great hall. Here will be where Toke Frodesson calls his own land.*

3. What do you call your settlement?

Next: building and dealing with locals, both man and beast. Truly the stuff of heroes.

* According to Landnámabók (the Book of Settlements) people would often toss their pillars into the sea and where ever they washed up was where the settlement started. This method is even described as "traditional". Ingólfur Arnarson settled the first farm in Iceland this way. Today, that farm is Reykjavík.

Also, please let me know two things
1 - Are the pictures ok? I like to use them as inspiration and keep the "voice" of the narrative consistent. But if you think I'm using too many in a post, let me know.
2 - Are my "fun Viking facts" interesting? I like giving some historical context for things, but if they are bothersome I'll just toss them.

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
1. Be nice, friendly, but wary. C
2. We need a rainbow cloak. C
3. Name it after ourselves!

I am loving both the pictures and the facts. It's interesting learning stuff, and the pictures add a lot.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wentley posted:

1. Be nice, friendly, but wary. C
2. We need a rainbow cloak. C

I am loving both the pictures and the facts. It's interesting learning stuff, and the pictures add a lot.

Ditto to all of the above. The pictures are absolutely necessary to this.

But I think we should name the settlement after the wyrm that forced us here. Never forget

AaronMFK
Jul 21, 2013
1. F
2. D (feed it to Donar)
3. Höggormsinsfjörður, or roughly, "Serpent's Fjord"

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

AaronMFK posted:

I like this one.

Greetings should be friendly but wary. I like the rainbow serpent cloak, but think we should give it to Donar. Our kid is gonna be the fliest Viking baby that ever there was :frogc00l:

I, too, like the pictures and Viking facts. The visual appeal of your posts are part of what drew me to this thread.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. B
2. A

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

AaronMFK posted:

That's a strong name, a mighty name.

1. C Be cool, we've got our thing going on here and you've probably got yours. No need to butt heads just yet and I'm not really in the mood to dick around with nosy neighbours.
2. C Donar can grow into the rainbow serpent cloak. Add it to the probably long list of mighty legacies that will be his birthright by way of his legendary father.

Also, this is a great thread and I'm loving the vibe. There's no emoticon viking or metal enough to express how interested and amused I am by the prospect of this CYOA. I guess if I had to use one I'd use :3:

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Results

1. What do our followers do if they see other people?

B: Hide - 1
C: Be Wary But Acknowledge. - 4
F: Kill them - 1

2. What should we do with the Serpent skin?

A: Display it - 1
C: Have Nauma make it into something (a rainbow cloak for ourself and Donar) - 4
D: Feed it to Donar - 1

3. What do we call our settlement?

Höggormsinsfjörður. - Serpent Fjord

Update Incoming

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
The Founding of Höggormsinsfjörður.

The first night after planting the high seat pillars is one of revelry. A good portion of the salted meat is feasted on, and you consume your one surviving cask of mead. There is much merry-making of all sorts and for the first time the group acts like a clan. Aside from Domarr who mostly sits and doesn’t react. Even with Solva and Myrun start dancing around the fire. This troubles you slightly, but Nauma’s high spirits are enough to make you forget.

The next morning everyone wakes in the dawn light hung over but happy. You gather them together around the pillars and tell them what is to be done. First, this land shall be known as Höggormsinsfjörður, the Serpent’s Fjord. This is partially to remember the beast that attacked every one - a beast that still likely lives - but also describes the snaking river that runs through the valley. The others nod and agree this is a good and strong name. Second, you display the serpent’s skin that Nauma has fashioned into a cloak. You inform them that this will be a birthright to Donar, and every chieftain of Höggormsinsfjörður after him will wear the rainbow cloak. Ásúlf jokes that it looks like Frod the Peacock’s taste in clothing has been passed down. You glare at Ásúlf.

Next, you get down to business. You intend to build a longhouse - which will eventually become your great mead hall. With the lack of slaves and few skilled craftsmen, the work will be slow and need to be the focus of the group’s efforts. Though you are not a carpenter, you have some experience with ship building. Together with Lambi and Fearghas - who claims to have built houses back in Ireland - you will design the building. Due to your slow recovery, the actual building will be left to others. Since everyone has a narrow set of skills, there will be times that they are not needed. You then announce that the group could complete a smaller project and not affect the long house. You ask them what to build.

Lambi speaks first. He speaks loudly as well, as he is half-deaf. “We must build forge Toke! Much of our replacement tools and scrap metal lies on the sea floor. If we are to build we must have a way of replacing broken tools!”

“But, we may never live that long,” Solva interrupts. “The gods may punish all far quicker than you can break your hammer. They have been patient with us and we must show them our thanks. If we are to have any luck with any endeavor we must build a place of worship. We also must perform funeral rights for Huggi and Bursti.”

“Let the gods worry about the dead miss,” Steinbjorn says. “We need to worry about the living. This valley is small but fertile, if we want any hope surviving winter, we have to start tilling now. And we should construct fences to keep animals in.”

“We have no animals, farmer.” Myrun adds. “Though I do agree we need to build fences, but to keep trespassers out rather than animals in.”

There is a pause and Ásúlf cautiously suggests a distillery. After that there is much shouting and throwing of small rocks. It looks like a fight may break out until you silence them all. After giving each person a good hard stare, you announce your decision.

1. What is your decision and what will you build along with the longhouse?

After the group breaks up to get to work you pull Ásúlf and Steinbjorn aside. You tell them that, due to your injury, you cannot perform landnám* yourself. You ask them to instead do the walk for you. Ásúlf with his fighting prowess will keep any threats at bay, and Steinbjorn has a keen eye for valuable wood. They both agree and hurry to gather wood for the fires, the sun already rising. You get to work planning the house with Lambi and Fearghas. It will be a modest house, due to both limited materials and laborers. With sticks you mark where the walls, entrance, and support beams will go. There is much discussion on what the house will be built from, there is a small grove of birch trees nearby, the trees are useless for shipbuilding and could make good siding for the longhouse. Lambi suggests stone, as it is readily available and easier to build with. Because you have limited tools, you should not chance breaking one of them cutting the timbers. You see the wisdom in this and agree. The walls will be stone on the outside and sod inside. It will take longer, but be worth it.

At the end of the day, Ásúlf and Steinbjorn appear. Ásúlf is curiously carrying a sheep under each arm. While performing the landnám they came across a herd of these animals. Ásúlf took two because he figured they would be useful. The sheep appear fat and displeased at being carried by Ásúlf.

2. What do you do with the sheep?

A. Tell Ásúlf to put them back where he found them.
B. Give both to Nauma for her magics, eat the rest
C. Give both to Solva for a sacrifice. , eat the rest
D. Give one each to Solva and Nauma, eat the rest
E. Butcher both, eat everthing.
F. Keep both alive.
G. Other.

2.b. AND, do you

A. Tell Ásúlf to never take sheep again.
B. Tell Ásúlf to go get more!

The next days pass quickly. You regain much of your strength and the long house is progressing nicely. But not all is well. Once, while gathering food Myrun sees a grey-robed figure in the distance. She yelled greeting and the figure responded in a language she did not understand. This is the first encounter with other men in this land, and it is mysterious and troubling. Wrose, Domarr is getting worse. He seemed to recover while on the beach, but ever since moving him to Höggormsinsfjörður, he has become sickly. He awakens pale and cold with night-sweat, and seems to get better during the day, but then is sick again in the morning. Nauma claims he is cursed, or carries a sickness that might infect others. She says that you should put him out of his misery.

3. What should be done about Domarr?

A. Let him be. If he lives he is blessed by the gods. If he dies, so be it.
B. Try to learn what causes his illness.
C. Nauma is right, he should be killed and made a sacrifice to protect the rest of us.
D. Other

Even with the pall of Domarr hanging over everyone, life is settling. And though the longhouse isn't yet completed, Höggormsinsfjörður lives.

4. What else would you like to do this week? (Examples include, explore your land, search for other people, search for monsters, etc.

*landnám or “land taking” is a form of settlement claiming. The idea was that a man was intitled to as much land as he could walk from sunrise to sunset. People would build and light a series of slowburning fires along the way, as long as you could see the last fire you built, you were still on “your” land. Of course these bonfires would become overgrown or destroyed over the years and so property boundaries were pretty fluid.

Also, I think it’s time for a quick pronunciation guide, as there are accents and umlauts all over the drat place. So here is a rough guide. I will also add this to the OP. Now I only speak English, so if I am of on any of these, which is possible, let me know and I will change them.

pre:
Á - Pronounced like the 'a' in ‘car’/
É – Prounced with a double e ‘ee’, like the word Beer..
I and Í – are pronounced like the I in ‘hit’, and ‘ea’ in ‘beat’ 
Ó – The long ‘o’ is pronounced like the 'o' in ‘for’.
Ú – The long ‘u’ is pronounced like the ‘o’ in ‘who’.
Y and Ý – are pronounced like the ‘ü’ in the Germ. word ‘Fürher’.
Æ – Is pronounced like ‘ea’ in ‘bear’.
Ø and Œ – Are pronounced like “ur” in “burn”  
Ð and ð – Are pronounced like the ‘th’ in the Engl. word ‘there’.

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 25, 2013

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
1. We need food for the coming winter, plow!
2. F. Keep both alive. Ewes can be milked, both can be sheared and they may be pregnant, and thus the start of a herd.
2b. A. Don't take any more. In fact, if we have some trade goods, leave some where we took the sheep.
3. B. Sick or cursed, we need to know. We also do not have so many people that we can easily let one go without searching for a cure.
4. We need to rest and recover, but there must be tasks we can put our hand to as we get better. Do those.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

1: Forge! If our farming tools get broken we're shafted!
2: Go put the sheep back and go get more! Sheep-based workout routine!
3: B - Learn what's wrong with him!
4: Create some fishnets while we rest and recover.

AaronMFK
Jul 21, 2013
1. A temple now may help us become a goði if others settle nearby.

2. C If we're building a temple, got to start it off with a sacrifice.
2b. B No one leaves sheep unattended, especially in a wild and unlawful land. These are sheep for the taking.

3. A

4. Explore the land

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

1: Till the fields while you've still got the light and unfrozen ground to do so, you silly bunch of twats! You can't eat prayers and when the ice sets in you'll drat well be too cold to get out and fish. Also that thing about the fences isn't a bad idea either really.
2: Fuck it. "Keep both alive. Ewes can be milked, both can be sheared and they may be pregnant, and thus the start of a herd." <-- This is a good plan, although it's rightly likely our pal Ásúlf is now a proper sheep-thief. Ah well, if they didn't expect the herd to be stolen they drat well ought to have set a shepherd.
b: More Bloody sheep! Well, maybe not the entire herd since that's probably a bit much and asking for feud where we don't need one, but a good ram and a couple more ewes couldn't hurt. Whoever owns the sheep can come asking for them later if they like and we'll work something out.
3: C Sorry Domarr, the wife says you're cursed and need to be sacrificed to the gods for the good of us all. Just how it works sometimes eh? If it's a disease then you're probably dead for it anyway, and if its a curse that's god-business and the wife's got that all sewed up as far as I'm concerned.
4: Rest and recover is a good plan, everybody's got a job here and know what they need to do. There's no reason to go looking for trouble just yet when a bad winter or poor crop could see us all die a straw death.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
2. F
2b. B
3. A

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
1. forge
2. F
2.b B
3. D: give him a hot bath
4. explore the coastline in both directions

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
1. Sternbejorn is right, we need to start Tilling. A forge would be nice, but do we even have any ore or scrap metal to forge with? Until we have raw materials a forge is a just fancy fireplace. A farm is what's going to get us through winter.

2. We need to Give one sheep to Nauma and one to Solva. We can, of course, eat the rest. Nauma's a powerful sorceress, that's one of the reasons we married her. In an up-and-coming settlement the importance of having a good witch is huge. We need to give her what she needs to do what she does. The gods must also be appeased, as well, as their will governs us all.

3. Let Domarr be. If the gods will it, he will live; if they do not, he won't.

4. We should explore, with an eye towards finding who we're sharing our island with.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
NinjaPete's Wife - What are they voting on now?
NinjaPete - Sheep.
NinjaPete's Wife - Isn't that kind of boring for an adventure?
NinjaPete - Dozens of lives could be at stake!

Results!

What else shall we build?

1. Fields for Farming - 3
2. A Forge - 2
3. A temple - 1

What shall we do with the sheep?

1. Keep both alive - 4
2. Put them back - 1
3. Give one to Solva. - 1
4. Give one to Solva, one to Nauma - 1

Should we get more sheep?

1. Yes! - 5
2. No! - 1

What should we do about Domarr?

1. Let Fate Decide - 3
2. Try to discover what ails him. - 2
3. Sacrifice him! - 1
4. Give him a hot bath, cures all ill! - 1

What shall we do with ourselves?

1. Rest and Recover - 3
2. Explore - 3
(No tie-breaker because we can do BOTH!

Update coming tonight.

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 25, 2013

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Sheep, Berries, Monks, and Monsters.

Settling of Höggormsinsfjörður - Week Two

The sheep bring much excitement. Despite the pleas from Solva - who has gone far too long without killing something for the gods - you order that these sheep be cared for. They will be used for wool and milk. Nauma seems pleased with this, for if her blood auguries are to be denied to her she at least will be able to weave fortunes and spells from their wool. The sheep are placed in the floodplain and watched over until a night enclosure can be built for them. The night passes uneventfully, but Domarr wakes up ill again.

In the morning you order Ásúlf to go and get more sheep. You tell him you require two rams and two ewes. You specify that rams are the ones with horns. Ásúlf does this task, though it takes him four trips to carry back the required sheep. Over the day the sight of him returning with a sheep under his arm has led to Fearghas and Myrun calling him Ásúlf Lamb-Arms. Everyone find this quite funny, except Ásúlf who says “Ram-Arms” would be a better name. No one agrees.

The next day Ásúlf reports that the entire herd is missing and so you are stuck with the six you have.

Knowing the importance of the harvest, Steinbjorn has been given permission to stake out a field and start tilling the soil. Because you lack the oxen to pull a true arðr, you will have to rely on the smaller hand tools to do the job. Lambi grumbles - loudly - about having to make crude tools by banging metal against rock, but his creations are serviceable though they break often. It is resolved that, once the fields are planted and cared for, you will help Lambi set up a forge.

You spend the next three days resting your body, while trying to remain active. At first you spend some time composing poems, though after you find yourself writing a poem about Ásúlf’s sheep carrying you stop yourself. You spend time overseeing the construction of the longhouse, though do no work yourself. During this time you see Solva, who is covered in muck and sweat, scowling at you when she does not think you are looking and she seems to be losing faith in your leadership. She is certainly not happy when you ask her, Nauma and Myrun to cut their hair short so that you can weave a netting. the women agree and you carefully use the ever-sharp edge of Dvegrvatn to shear them. From their strands you make two nets. One, woven by you is a serviceable but ugly thing, it takes you three days to weave it. This net is cast into the sea, to scoop up fish from the shoals nearby. The other is done by Nauma, and it is elegant and she weaves a small charm into it so that it will never be empty. this net is spread across the river running through your land, and snags fish as they try to swim upstream or down. The nets will keep everyone from starving to death for now, but it is not sustainable.

Steinbjorn decides to plant mostly hay and barley. Next year, he says, once we have a true plow and can work a larger field he will grow other vegetables, but for now he just wants us to get through the winter. He invites you to come with him as he plants the seeds, to learn how he does it. Seinbjorn walks up and down tilled rows, dropping handfuls of seeds into the dirt. As he does this he talks to the ground. He speaks to the seeds as if they are capable of hearing him and asks them to please grow for him. Every now and then a handful of seeds apparently chooses to not grow for him and he tosses them away. At one point he gets down on his hands and knees and reaches into a furrow only to pull out a large worm. He chides the worm for being in the wrong row and then carefully kisses it and deposits it in another row.

This behavior is perplexing.

Finally he pulls out his knife and slashes his palm. He dribbles his blood into the field, offering it to Frey and Thor, asking them to grant him fertile ground and good rain. He then asks you if you would give a blood sacrifice as well.

1. Do you offer your blood to Thor and Frey for a good harvest?
A. Yes
B. No

After three days rest you are feeling well enough to travel. Leaving the fence-building to the others - Solva gives you another dirty look - you and Fearghas pack for a bit of exploring. You expect to be back in two days time, you just wish to travel around your land a bit. If you are to survive you need to find trade-able goods or services until the settlement is on its feet. You must learn first-hand what your land has to offer. On the second day you plan to travel to the south, to again see the beach where you washed up on, and also try to meet your neighbors in that direction. You say your goodbyes to your wife and son and trek out.

Your land - as staked out by Ásúlf and Steinbjorn is as follows.

To your north, beyond the hills rise up to a plateau with good grazing or farming land. Beyond this plateau the land rises sharply into what seems to be massive mountains made from ice. Your land does not go far into these mountains but it extends enough that you are able to see huge holes and caverns in the ice. Near the base of the mountains there is a deep pool that steams in the cold air. You stick your hand in it and are surprised to find the water hot. Fearghas and you decide to linger in the hot spring for a bit and Fearghas discovers some crowberries. You eat your fill and try to save some for the others when you return. You make note of fat seals and walruses who are sunning themselves on the stony beaches in this northern part, though there are not many now.

To your west are rolling hills. Again this is good grazing land but it appears to already have been heavily used, though you see no sheep or cattle as you pass through it. There is a large lake - the source of the waterfall and river in your valley - with a rocky island in the center of it. Fearghas suggests swimming out to the island but it is a long way and you are still recovering. During your travels to your west, you feel as if you are being watched, though by who you cannot say.

To your south is a forest. The trees are birch, which though not as sturdy as oak is a serviceable building wood. Though to make an entire longship out of birch would be mediocre at best and dangerous at worst. As you travel through this forest, following the cold bonfires set by Steinbjorn and Ásúlf, you hear an odd sound. It is a chanting in a language you do not recognize, though Fearghas perks up. Going towards the sound, but keeping yourselves hidden, you and Fearghas come across a small stone building, built in front of a cave, where a group of men in plain robes are chanting and bowing to each other. Fearghas tells you these men are Irish monks and they are praying to their Christian god. He asks if you want to make yourself known to them. You say no, you need to think about how you want to deal with them first. Fearghas is disappointed but agrees.

2. How do you want to deal with the monks?

A. Ignore them.
B. Introduce yourself as their neighbor, start a friendly relationship.
C. Introduce yourself as their neighbor, backstab them and take their stuff.
D. Raid them without warning and kill them all.
E. Other.

You turn to head back to the valley, noting the location of your shipwrecks and a few colonies of seabird nests along the way. You return to Höggormsinsfjörður tired but happy as the sun lies low in the sky. As the valley comes into view you smile. It seems that when you were away the roof of the longhouse was finished. Though the inside is still bare it looks well and completed from the outside. You also see that a sturdy fence has been built around Steinbjorn’s fields and a milking hut has sprung up on the plain where the sheep graze. Your land offers many possibilities, more than expected.

3. How should we try to make a living over the summer and autumn?

(Based on everything we know about our land and what we have vs what we need, what are our best options? Do we fish, trade, raid the poo poo out of neighbors? This is open ended and we can try more than one thing.)

You smile stays until you see your wife running towards you, followed by Ásúlf and Myrun. as they approach you start to hear words they are shouting. About Domarr. About a monster. Last night, while you a Fearghas slept under the stars, the camp was awoken by a scream in the night. Solva had awoken to make water and she spied a huge and horrible form crouched over Domarr. At her scream the monster looked and it was clear the beast was draining Domarr’s life from him. The monster grabbed Domarr and vanished into the night. Myrun and Ásúlf gave chase and they believe they have tracked the monster to its lair, but they did not go in. With wide eyes, everyone asks you what is to be done.

4. What do we do about the fiend who has Domarr?
A. Go and kill it ourselves.
B. Send someone else to kill it (if so, who?)
C. Leave it be.
D. Other.

* - This is a photo of an actual viking field. In the 11th century a sand drift covered a field in Jutland. It was basically left coverd up until the 1950s. Really cool I think.
☨ - The Íslendingabók claims that the first people to "settle" Iceland was a group of Gaelic Monks setting up a Hiberno-Scottish sometime before the year 800.

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 25, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

1: A BLEED
2: B BEFRIEND
3: BFISHTRADE
4: A BEHEAD

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 26, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

1. Always be bleeding blood for the gods
2. Ah, I could give a poo poo less about the monks. They probably don't have anything worth taking anyway. If they see us, they see us. If not, let's wander off and do something more important like
4. A Killing a horrific night-demon! Kill/capture/sacrifice it in the name of the gods! imo the most :black101: thing here to do would be to drag it out of its cave bodily and toss it onto a bonfire, possibly involving some wooden stakes along the way.

3. Stay the course I guess. Things are looking good enough the way they're going. Salted, dried fish is kind of a handy staple to have so if it's not something we're doing anyway make sure someone's on that pretty regularly.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 26, 2013

AaronMFK
Jul 21, 2013
1. A
2. D
3. Worry about growing and catching our own food. Focus on fish and sheep and fields. Money can come later at the point of a sword.
4. A

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Of course we must offer our blood to the fields. We can't ask Sternbejorn to do something we wouldn't, and the blood of jarls and kings has power. We should Befriend the monks. We have no love of their Christ god, but neither do we have any quarrel with them. Also, monks brew some drat fine beer, a fact I'm sure Asulf would be glad of. And obviously we need to personally kill that demon that's been plaguing our friend. We're still a bit weak from single-handedly maiming a sea serpent, but with cunning, luck, and a magic axe I think we'll do just fine. Over the summer and fall we need to set ourselves in order. I think we ought to teach Lambi and Fearghas to fight, for one thing; we currently only have three trained warriors, and that could be an issue if there's anyone here more dangerous than a pack of monks. We should also work on that forge and temple, just so Solva will stop giving us death-glares. The farm and herd are still priority number one, though. More settlements fail due to starvation than any two other factors combined.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. B
2. A
3. Trade with our neighbours
4. A

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
1. A
2. B
3. Trade with neighbors (be it services or hard goods or otherwise)
4. D. This sounds fishy. Question them a little more deeply to find out what really happened.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Slightly Lions posted:

Of course we must offer our blood to the fields. We can't ask Sternbejorn to do something we wouldn't, and the blood of jarls and kings has power. We should Befriend the monks. We have no love of their Christ god, but neither do we have any quarrel with them. Also, monks brew some drat fine beer, a fact I'm sure Asulf would be glad of. And obviously we need to personally kill that demon that's been plaguing our friend. We're still a bit weak from single-handedly maiming a sea serpent, but with cunning, luck, and a magic axe I think we'll do just fine. Over the summer and fall we need to set ourselves in order. I think we ought to teach Lambi and Fearghas to fight, for one thing; we currently only have three trained warriors, and that could be an issue if there's anyone here more dangerous than a pack of monks. We should also work on that forge and temple, just so Solva will stop giving us death-glares. The farm and herd are still priority number one, though. More settlements fail due to starvation than any two other factors combined.

Yes indeed, especially about the beer. They might also have bees and be able to make mead!

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
1. Farmin'

Bleed - 6

Not Bleed - 1

2 . Monkin'

Friends - 4

Foes - 1
gently caress 'em - 2

4. Killin'

Shoot First - 6

Ask Questions First - 1

3. Doin'

Ok, this is the things we will hopefully do before winter

We are going to focus on staying the course, making sure we get enough food it number one. We should attempt trade with our neighbors if we have time and also make sure our booming fishery is kept maintained. We should build a forge and temple when we have a chance, but herding is more important right now. If we can we should teach Fearghas and Lambi to fight. Also the monks might have booze. We need to get that booze. It really doesn't matter what it is, it is very important that we just--oh god my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

UPDATE INCOMING

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
The Dead in the Pond

You call for your shield.

Though you still ache from the injuries the serpent gave you, though its poison still courses through your veins, you will stand up and destroy this ghoulish beast. There is outcry from Nauma at this, she believes that you are still too weak and for the sake of your son asks you to send another. You dismiss her and go to Solva for the proper rites. She says the words and makes the offerings, cutting her hand open and offering her blood for your safe return. She places upon you a valknut* strung on a thin cord which is tied as a noose.

With Dvegrvatn in hand and shield slung over your back, you let Myrun and Ásúlf lead to where they saw the creature carry Domarr. Within the birch forest there is a small pond. Myrun tells you they spied the creature diving under the water and staying under for quite some time. She believes the beast has a lair under the water. Ásúlf agrees, gripping his sword so tight his knuckles whiten. You tell them to stay back and be prepared to pursue the creature should it try to flee. Ásúlf grunts and Myrun readies her spear. Then, alone, you walk to the edge of the pond.

The water is black and still. You see your face in it, your your cheeks hollow, your skin cracked, your eyes yellowed and your hair grayed. In the water your hand appears withered and clawed, but looks normal when you glance down at it. An illusion, powerful magic.

“Hear me beast!” you shout. “I am Toke Frodsson. I come to slay you, ruler of the underworld. I come to sink my axe in you, filthy creature. My Dvegrvatn will make wolf’s food out of you. What say you?”

There is no sound, nowhere you can hear. Then the water begins to ripple. A head, with two fire-eyes appears, stares at you for a moment, and then retreats.

“Face me!” you yell, stepping forward, stepping into the water. “Face your end!”

An arm, impossibly long breaks the surface and grabs your chest. With a mighty tug you are pulled off your feet and into the water. Under water there is only blackness. The beast pulls you further and further underwater, impossibly deep. You lungs ache, your eyes burn, you open your mouth to yell and water rushes in. And then, suddenly you are thrown out of the water, through the air, and you land heavily on the ground. You are in total darkness. A cavern.

You scramble to your feet, axe and shield at the ready. Over your ragged breath you hear a growl in the pitch black. You whirl towards it and your shield is pulled from your hand. You swing Dvegrvatn in the direction, but the axe’s beak tastes nothing but air. You hold the axe in both hands, listening.

There is a footstep to your right, you wheel around and Dvegrvatn dives in the darkness. Nothing. Suddenly you feel a yank on your axe, something pulls at it. You fight for control but the monster holds tight, it lifts you into the air and bashes you against a rock wall. Again and again. You feel bones break, skin tear, and muscles rip. Finally, you relax your numb fingers and drop to the ground.

A hideous laugh come from the darkness.

“Jeg vil suge dine ben.” something croaks.

he have underestimated this foe. This monster has the better of you. You struggle to a sitting position and, heavily, recite a death poem.

“Frode’s son Odin’s appeaser, Lies with sole-thorn wounds.
Before life-ban, before Muninn’s mouthful**, lived the the landsman of the channel-sky”

There light suddenly. Bright daylight fills the cavern. You see the beast, it is a monstrous man-thing. Covered in seaweed and filth. A draugr, a ghost of the drowned, seeking to eat the life of the living. It is huge, many times the size of the man. But it roars and backs away from the light. It’s gigantic foot almost steps on the limp form of Domarr that lies on the muddy earth. The sight of it and the sudden light cause you to pause in your poem. The light vanishes. You frantically pick up your poem.

“Toke, axe-reddener gives the Gallow God, sword-cloven slaughter-food.
His Dwarf’s Tear weeps wounds. The troll-woman of battle drinks raven-wine.”

Again, the sudden light. You look for the source. It is your arm-ring. The one won from the hooded man at the riddle game years ago. It glows like the sun, but it does not feel hot, instead it is cool and comforting. In fact, the aches you felt just moments ago are fading, you are feeling stronger. You have paused in your poem, and the light starts to dim. Quickly you keep going, making up verses as you recite them. As long as you keep speaking the ring keeps glowing. The creature roars in anger and pain.

You pick up your axe and go to work.

“Gestumblindi game played, asked and answered, an arm-snake given,
Freya’s cunning under Sif’s hair, through the metal-rain, the blade assembly.
Toke King-Maker, wolf-sater, luck-blessed ring thrower, needs no battle-shirt.
Odin’s mead is his battle-awning. His slaughter-plank is the wine of Hanged God.
You, sea-dead corpse from the whale-road, take the sleep of the sword!”

With a mighty blow you chop the monsters legs out from under it. It falls to the ground, screeching in plan. Its bellowing is cut off when you sink your axe through its ugly head. Moving quickly - for the light already dies - you grab the beast’s head and Domarr, afterwards you dive into the water. Now that you can see you see that the draugr took you along an underwater channel, connecting the pond to its lair. You quickly spy the opening and swim to it.

Myrun and Ásúlf are waiting at water’s edge for you. They quickly take Domarr and Ásúlf lets you lean on him as you return to Höggormsinsfjörður. The ring does not glow and you start to feel sore and stiff, though your bones are no longer broken and your wounds healed. Even when you recite a poem, the arm-ring does nothing.

When you arrive at the longhouse you present the draugr’s head. When Nauma asks how you killed it, you answer honestly.

Poetry.

1. What do we do with the head?

A. Flense and mount it above our chair.
B. Ram it onto a stake as a warning.
C. Give it to Nauma for her magic.
D. Burn it and be done with it.
E. Bury it in case we need it later.
F. Other

* I guess we aren't totally sure what the valknut (three interlocking triangles) meant. They were often seen on urns and grave sites and depictions of Odin. Here I am using it as a charm for those who knowingly may be going to their death.
**All of these fun little phrases are called kennings. A kenning was often used instead of a noun in Old Norse and Anglo- Saxon poetry. They are pretty fun to use and look up. Some of them are just ridiculous and make no sense, others are incredibly metal.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I will be traveling until Tuesday. I will still be updating everyday, but the updates might be shorter and might only address one or two questions instead of four.

Over the weekend: Monks, Shepards and Mountain Men.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
drat, we are cool.

Our wife has been patient. Let us give it to Nauma for her magic.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

C. Give it to Nauma for her magic.

Worst case we get a cool magic puppet show with the severed head.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Let the lady do her magic. She's been patient and nearly sent us to our death, she deserves something.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

E. Bury it for future use.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
D. Burn it and be done with it.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

B Ugh, I'm too tired for this magic poo poo. Up onto a sharpened stake with it, let other horrible monsters look upon it and know not to mess with Texas Toke.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Results

1. What do we do with the head?

C. Give it to Nauma for her magic. - 3
B. Ram it onto a stake as a warning. - 1
D. Burn it and be done with it. - 1
E. Bury it in case we need it later. - 1

Update incoming

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Meeting The Monks and What Happened After

Nauma is given the daugr’s head. She is thankful for this and promises to use the skull to create a powerful protection spell for your land. She checks on Domarr and pronounces the man free from his curse, though he is unconscious and his once-black waves of hair have all turned white as snow.

You spend a night and day recovering and learning what the group has been up to since you and Fearghas left to survey the land. Steinbjorn has convinced Lambi and Ásúlf to help him build a milking shed. He proudly shows you some of the buried vats that he has stored some freshly-made skyr and butter. Steinbjorn also has discovered two of the ewes are pregnant, he expects them to birth well before autumn and with luck the lambs will survive. He does mention that until the hay comes in, the sheep will have to graze on the grass of the valley, which might be too little. He asks you to think of other ways of feeding the animals.

You tell Lambi now that the longhouse’s exterior is finished - and building the interior will take tools you don’t have - he may start building his forge. The man laughs and wraps you in a bear hug so tight your head spins slightly before he lets you down. He starts humming loudly to himself as he goes to survey a site upon which to build.

It is decided that you will travel to the Irish monk’s mission. Though they are on your land and you have every right to kick them off, you will be a generous landlord for now. Fearghas goes with you to translate and you ask Ásúlf to come as well. The warrior is at first uninterested, but when Fearghas mentioned they might be brewers as well as men of God Ásúlf quickly changes his mind.

The monk’s mission is a small stone building. It is well constructed and attached to a cave entrance. The building shows signs of decay and damage but the small garden and chicken pen outside of it seem well kept. At your approach the there is much shouting and running. All of the monks, save one scurry and hide in their mission. The remaining monk, an older man, stands waiting for you. You have Fearghas introduce you.

“Is é seo Toke Frodsson,” Feargus says.

“Brenden” the monk says.

“Tá tú ar a chuid talún.”

Benden looks at him skeptically. “Tá brón orm. An bhfuil tú hÉireann?”

“Is ea, agus Críostaí.” Fearghas replies, smiling.

“Tá tú a n-daor?” the monk looks at him imploringly. “Mac le do thoil reáchtáil ó leo!”

“D'fhéadfadh mé ina dhiaidh sin, do anois tá mé sásta,” Fearghas says, shaking his head quickly and glancing at you.

“Cad a dhéanann do mháistir ag iarraidh?” Brenden asks after moment.

Fearghas tells you the monks understand they are on your land and apologize for it. They are asking what it is you want from them. You tell Fearghas to let them know you are allowing them to stay here.

“Chun cara leat, beidh sé ar chumas leat chun fanacht anseo,” Fearghas says.

Brenden breaks into a huge grin. Then he thinks for a moment and speaks, looking at you and wringing his hands. “Buíochas le Dia! Tá gentib a ionsaí dúinn. An mbeidh sé a chosaint chugainn ó iad?”

Fearghas tell you the monk says they are raided often by other Norsemen. The monk is asking if you will protect them as their landlord.

1. Will you protect the Irish Monks?

A. Yes, they are our tenets and their survival benefits us.
B. No they are Christian fools. If the Norns want them to die so be it.

The monk asks another question. Fearghas translates that Brenden wonders what Toke wants from the monks.

“Ale. Beer.” Ásúlf chimes in. “Anything to get me good and drunk.”

“Beoir nó leanna nó fíon,” Fearghas says.

Brenden laughs and pats his belly. “Sea, a dhéanamh linn beoir fíneáil. Cad eile?”

Fearghas says that Brenden claims the beer and mead they make it quite good, and Ásúlf can take a barrel of either. Brenden also asks, what else do you want?

What do you want from the monks?
(This is open ended, but they really would like to know where they stand with their new semi-benevolent landlord. They can provide things like labor, food, and money for you.)

Later, as you leave, Fearghas asks you a question. he waits until Ásúlf is well ahead of the both of you, carrying his cask of ale. Fearghas hesitantly asks if you will allow him to go to the mission once a week for mass.

Do you let Fearghas worship with the monks?

A. Yes. As long as he is loyal, what does it matter?
B. No. That life is past him, he will do as you say.

Finally you return back at Höggormsinsfjörður. As you tell the others of your encounter with the monks Ásúlf shares his ale, though everyone else’s horn is noticeably less full than his own. Even Domarr, who is more alert than he has been since washing ashore, is able to drink a horn, though he drifts off to sleep soon after. Ásúlf’s ale had brought much merriment from the group.

Except for Solva.

After you finish your story she stands up and curses at you. She calls you a poor leader and a fool. She says that since coming ashore you have only given the god half-hearted lip service and done nothing to prove your obedience. She tells how you have acted lazy and selfish, coveting the good fortunes that come to you, this land, the sheep, the serpent’s skin, your son, instead of thanking the gods and offering them sacrifice. You choose to build your own house, food for your own belly, and a forge so that you make embellish your house, all before you think to erect a temple to Odin or any of the gods who have seen fit to let you live. Now you choose to embrace Christian fools and let them give you gifts and live on your land when you should have roped them all up and brought them here to be hung. You have only been paying lip service to the gods, Solva says, and when they punish you they will punish everyone.

She stands, red faced and panting, her twisted leg shaking. Everyone else sits still in silence. All wait for your reaction.

How do you react to Solva?
A Kill her for her impertinence. She has disrespected you too much and too publicly.
B. Berate her verbally and exile her, “lip service” has been enough so far, you do not need her.
C. Try to charm and woo her so that she is less likely to question you again.
D. Allow her to build a temple, knowing that it will slow construction on the forge.
E. Promise her a human sacrifice for the winter Blót.
F. Other.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

1. A Yeah why not. Booze, cheese, whatever the hell else they've got to trade or otherwise put out sounds good enough. Might as well trade poo poo with them properly instead of being dicks about it. There's plenty of room here and no real reason not to get along. I'm pretty content to let them do their thing while we do ours otherwise.
2. A What? No, the poo poo is that about Fearghas? Since when are you a Christian? You into that stuff? This is the first I'm hearing about it and that's just weird. I mean really? Ah let him have it, I don't care what he does one measly morning a week so long as he stays happy and productive when I can count on him for it.
3. Aaah geez, Fuck. You can't go and disrespect me like that right in front of everybody Solva, I mean come on what the hell?! Where the hell does a fat-lipped cripple get off calling ME lazy? This sounds like a time for poetry, or a fist across her face. Maybe both.
Time to bust out some phat rear end rhymes to turn this around about how the gods'll get their due once we're properly on our feet and y'know not dying to night demons or starvation and all. Maybe also give her five across the eyes for the disrespect.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 28, 2013

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
1. Yes. For a handful of reasons. First off we have relatively few able bodied laborers. Then you consider the fact that we've cut ties with our homeland, so they represent a possible avenue to outside trade. If that wasn't enough, they've obviously been living in this frontier for some time now. That last bit means they've got skills and knowledge that we can benefit from. All this for the price of protecting their isolated little mission from a raiding band now and again.

2. Yes, again.. Fearghus is a thrall, not a born norseman. If he wishes to trust his fate to the Christian god it means nothing to us. However his continued happiness and loyalty matter a great deal in these early days.

3. Something else. Compose a bit of poetry about the follies of haste and anger. Then soften the blow by offering the firstborn lamb and first sheaf of barley to the gods.

Edit: Forgot to mention what we want outta' the monks directly, but it's all there in 1.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. A
2. Labour
3. A
4. C

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Oh you know I forgot the part where Fearghas was a thrall. Yeah y'know what let him have it. His Christian god business isn't going to get in the way of his work for us is it? Because as long that's not a problem I could care less. But seriously though,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcInPRRfr9E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
We will protect the monks as long as they continue to pay their 'rent'. We should have them do so in booze, food, and beeswax. It may seem strange, but beeswax is super loving useful. It makes candles, goes in poultices, seals gaps in houses and ships, insulates bowstrings, it's generally an amazing substance. I also say we should let Fearghas worship as he pleases. He has served us loyally and well, I feel like this is the least we can do for him. Besides, it's ill luck to stand between a man and his gods. Speak of gods, ridicule Solva a bit. Preferably in a poem about practicality. The gods will get no sacrifices from corpses, so it's in their best interests that we see to our own survival. I agree about offering the first lamb and sheaf to the gods, it should make her feel a bit better. Don't actively exile her, but if she can't deal with how we choose to run our settlement, she's free to start her own. Then she'll truly see how much the gods love her.

• Locked thread