Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Also agreeing with the above. And if he tries to gently caress us with his magic spells we can gently caress him with our magic ax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

If we have any liquor or honeycomb left, gift it to him. As a courtesy.

Consult the misses.

Yes, we are the Serpent Breaker. We will brook no shakedowns or threats. Display our displeasure without subtlety or nuance.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
1. We will ask for nothing but friendship.

2. We will give nothing but a (short) poem and a bit of honey to show your friendliness.

3. We will not take his offer, instead we will ask Nauma.

Update coming shortly.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
How Toke Returned to Höggormsinsfjörd and Considered Murder

Sorkell frowns when you tell him you do not require his services. He asks again, saying that he is merely trying to be neighborly, perhaps he can even give you a discount for his service, after all you are new here and your finances are not as good as they could be. He is doing this in your best interest mind you, you have a beautiful piece of land, it would be a real shame if it didn't yield crops.

You curtly inform Sorkell that your wife knows enough magic to prevent things like that. Sorkell quiets after this and does not ask again. To change the subject quickly, you recite a short poem praising Sorkell.

Though green lands, though soft grass
Though beds of fur, beds of wool
My hairy cheeks have pressed against much
But they have found comfort where one least expects
A feather bed is less welcoming that Sorkell's Rock.

This poem is not your best, but you make it a little dirty to get a laugh out of your hosts. They seem to like it!

You tell Sorkell that you only ask to be friends and as proof of such you offer him some beer and honey. He is delighted with this and his wife and mother are more so. Together you all eat and you ask Sorkell about the surrounding country.

He says that he and Wood-Nose, and now you, are isolated from many other farms. There are rocky hills between Wood-Nose and those to the west, and Sorkell's property lies next to a massive sheet of ice where no one lives aside from trolls and frost giants, though they are small in number and do not bother him. He has traveled throughout the region and knows a great deal about the other men, particularly the landowners, chieftains, and jarls who will be attending the regions Thing in the coming months. He offers to tell you about one of them, normally he would charge for such information, but being friends and neighbors he will tell you this for free.

1. Who would you like to hear more about?

1. Sven the Wise - The current Law-speaker. He knows many things about the world and has traveled very far.
2. Scarred Hakkon - An old warrior who raids every year with his men, though he is growing long in the tooth.
3. Ivar the Fool - A man of infinite luck and a shortage of sense. He comes into money almost as easily as he spends it.
4. Thorvald and Laufi - Your neighbors to the north. They rarely come down from their ice-houses.

You depart from Sorkellrokk in on good pleasant terms and quickly make your way back to Höggormsinsfjörd. Since you have been gone the exterior of the forge is complete and Lambi has lit the great furnace within. He has spent the past few days smelting and hammering the scrap metal into more useful tools. Has made a set of wood-working tools and plans to use them to build the interior of the longhouse. You are well pleased with this and Lambi is pleased with the ore and charcoal that you have brought home.

Nauma says that you have done well in your dealings with Bjorn Wood-Nose. She tells you that you have nothing to worry about when it comes to the Thing, for the law is on your side. Besides she has done an augury using a large fish she caught yesterday, it did not foretell any immediate danger to you. You should not trouble yourself in these matters, instead focus on building your land and reputation and raising your son. When you tell her of Sorkell she becomes very upset.

"He is a warlock!" she exclaims. "You would be wise to kill him and save us all the trouble he will cause us."

You tell her you will consider it.

2. Do you agree that you should try and kill Sorkell?

A. Yes.
B. No.

Solva seems to be in a better mood. She has started to build her temple high on the cliffs, next to the water fall. She was able to get help from the monks though she took measures to make sure they were unaware what they were building. She finds this very amusing. She wanted to sacrifice one of the monks so that their blood would be used in the mortar, but Nauma stopped her, saying they were not to be harmed. Instead she snared a hare and used its blood. She is disappointed in this, but so be it. She looks forward to the Blot with a gleam in her eyes.

You gather Myrun, Ásúlf, Fearghas, Lambi, and Domarr together. Meeting your neighbors and being clearly out-numbered worries you. So tell them all that they must practice fighting so that their home will be protected. Myrun and Ásúlf agree with this. Domarr also agrees, but says that he fears his weakness will be a liability. Lambi says he learned to fight when he was younger and right now you need his hammer more than his axe. Ásúlf asks how good Lambi's hammer will be in a fight. Lambi walks up to a young tree and with a mighty blow of his sledge hammer he cracks the tree in twain. Ásúlf says nothing.

You tell them all that they will all be working together, practicing the shield-wall. They all agree, even Lambi, who says he will build shields and spears as soon as he can. Fearghas and Domarr both ask if Lambi might make them swords. Domarr has not used an axe or spear in battle for a long time. Fearghas reminds every one that he has fought before, in Ireland. Myrun tells him he was not a good fighter because he was easily defeated and captured. Fearghas argues that was because he had to use a spear in that battle. With a good Irish sword he is unmatched*. Myrun asks him to prove it. Fearghas apologizes for there are no swords to be found sadly.

3. Should Lambi make swords for Fearghas and Domarr, even though it will take time and iron from other projects?

A. Yes.
B. No.
C. Just Fearghas.
D. Just Domarr.

And so the days pass, and the weeks follow. Life goes on pleasantly. You are able to play with Donar more than you use to, and the boy is growing strong. He laughs quite often and though he is a fussy child he is easily soothed with a warm bath, honey, or sip of ale. Fish are still caught in both nets, though the one in the shoals has caught fewer and fewer each week. Fearghas says that the fish are keeping to deeper water and that the net should be moved, or a small boat built, so that the deeper waters may be harvested. Steinbjorn tends to his remaining sheep, which he guards fiercely. The second ewe is pregnant, and the first likely to birth any day. They are milked and plucked regularly, though there is less dairy and wool due to the loss of two sheep, it is enough to keep everyone fed. The monks keep with their tithe and seem happy to have Fearghas as a member of their church. Relations with them are good, though Ásúlf does knock one senseless when they try to bless him. Life is good, Höggormsinsfjörður lives, and you are awaiting time before the Thing.

4. What would you like to do before the Thing?
(You only have time to make one trip before the Thing or complete one big project. This will be a majority vote since we can't do everyone's ideas.)

5. Who do we bring with us to the Thing? (Pick four)
(We can bring up to four followers but we should keep some people to tend the farm while we are gone)

A. Nauma
B. Ásúlf Horn-Stream
C. Fearghas
D. Myrun
E. Hammer-Ear Lambi
F. Steinbjorn
G. Domarr Snow-Locks
H. Solva

*Fearghas is likely one of the first and last Irishmen to be very skilled in swordplay Toke would ever meet. Eventually by the 12th century the Irish will completely adopt the Viking axes, so much so that Giraldus Cambrensis will refer to them as a national weapon to be feared. Right now though, most Irish use spears or bows, and swords are very expensive to make, thus only the rich used them regularly.

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 2, 2013

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Sven the Wise - The current Law-speaker. He knows many things about the world and has traveled very far.

No.
He has proven to be cordial and businesslike, and we have offered him our hand in friendship. If he betrays that friendship, then we will seek our revenge. That said, we should have the best magic defenses we can manage anyway.

3. Should Lambi make swords for Fearghas and Domarr, even though it will take time and iron from other projects?

No.
It's premature to invest so much time and material into fine weapons. Spear and shield will serve. They can ask again later, when we are more established.

But, there's nothing that says they can't practice with training swords made of wood, and thus learn the techniques from Fearghas so that when we can make iron blades, they are ready to wield them.

(You only have time to make one trip before the Thing or complete one big project. This will be a majority vote since we can't do everyone's ideas.)

We should build the small boat, then. Making sure we have enough food for the population to grow (via immigrants, obviously) is important.

5. Who do we bring with us to the Thing? (Pick four)

A. Nauma
B. Ásúlf Horn-Stream
C. Fearghas
E. Hammer-Ear Lambi

Fearghas is a no-brainer. We want to re-affirm our status, and make sure that he is known throughout the lands as our Thrall. This is the easiest way to do so. Once he is known as such, his chances of escaping from us go down drastically. Not that we are mistreating him (we aren't, we've been very permissive actually), but it is best to think for the long term.

We expect to have a case brought against us at the Thing, thus having our wife and most loyal follower with us is paramount. If they are called to speak, only good things will flow from their mouths.

Lambi is a blacksmith, a very high status trade. He is there to show that we are deserving of respect. If a smith will follow us, we must be worthy indeed.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 2, 2013

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ask about Ivar the Fool, I'm sure we could earn some cash for the price of a song with this fellow. Man gently caress Sorkel, it's got to be hard enough farming in Iceland without some rear end in a top hat warlock shaking us down. Kill him but be patient, we might not have to do it ourselves. No swords, go for spears and shields and use the time we save to build a boat. Before the Thing ask Nauma to divine the source of Woodnose's misfortune. If we can prove Sorkel is responsible take Nauma and make an argument for outlawing him, so we can kill him without repercussion. When is the Thing? I hope we can talk everyone into slaying the wizard before our crops wither! :ohdear:

edit: If we can find the cause of Woodnose's misfortune he's sure to be grateful, and would probably perforate Sorkel without our help. Slaying him would net us his thralls, which I guess we could free if it makes everyone feel better about wizard murder.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 2, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
1. Lawspeaker, why not. Maybe he's originally from someplace we know or is related to someone we're good/bad with. If he's the most far travelled and well known there's a chance we've overlapped before in terms of social circles.
2. Death for Sorkell, might be not quite right now or at the thing but the Missus says death for Sorkell because he's bad magic and I'm inclined to believe her. Give it a while, wait at least until after the thing, do it right and we can probably count on Wood-nose for support in this. 'No immediate danger' she says right? Maybe she can whip up something magic-y to cancel out whatever the hell he's got up his sleeve for when we do get murdering? Good to start preparing for it now right?
3. No. They can ask again later, when we are more established but for now the best formation is the safest formation- Shield wall. Stick with it, practice so you know which way to turn and how not to trip over your own drat feet and it pretty near to takes care of itself. There's a reason shield walls are so drat popular and it's not because they're sexy and well marketed.
4. Domarr- Exiled though he may be, he's still the son of a king and presumably useful at this sort of thing particularly if someone recognises him or asks him about how he came by his snowy locks. He can regale them firsthand with our tale of awesome bravery!
Nauma- Probably some sort of magic business or womens' doings she can get up to at the thing. Doesn't hurt either for her to get a look at Sorkell firsthand to make sure that she wants him dead/confirm his power or something.
Lambi- Smith stuff, floating the idea out there that we've got a guy who can do work for trade and generally having a respected and skilled craftsman here will help our position I think.
Myrun- I'd like a dedicated fighter on hand in case things turn lovely, but I don't want to bring Asulf in the event that Wood-nose's lovely son decides this is a great time to raid our fledgling community. Plus Asulf would just get drunk and be a bother anyway. At least we can trust Myrun to stay upright and not poo poo her breeches.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Learn about the lawman, he's gonna' be judging our case after all.
Kill the wizard eventually, if the missus says he's gotta' go then he's gotta' go.
Tell the boys no swords yet, it takes a lot of time and very limited metal to make a good blade. We need to make the little we have last until trade gets going in earnest.
As for the meeting, I think the others are pretty well on the right track.
Nauma needs to see the warlock in the flesh, if she's gonna' be fighting off his curses for a bit.
Domarr is nobility, even in exile. He's likely got some practice with diplomacy.
Lambi is one of our little village's biggest advantages, and should do well in proving our worth to the others.
Lastly Myrun can be our honor guard, and maybe get a chance to ask around about any giant monsters she can slay. It's why she came along after all.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We will hear of the Lawspeaker. We will sacrifice to the gods at some point, beyond our usual, and have the priestess divine what the gods wish us to do to Sorkell. Make the two swords once we are more settled. Have them train with sticks if they wish to keep in shape. Bring the priestess to show our godliness, Fearghas to show our spoils from battle, Myrun to be a guard, and the farmer to show we intend to use our land.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1.Ivar the Fool
2.No
3.No
5.A. Nauma B. Ásúlf Horn-Stream C. Fearghas E. Hammer-Ear Lambi

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
The Lawspeaker is who I'm interested in. We should kill the warlock but through smarts. I agree that we should have Nauma see if she can tell why Wood-Nose is cursed, especially if she can prove it was sneaky-pants-wouldn't-want-anything-to-happen-to-your-crops-Sorkell. Then we can bring it up at the Thing. No swords yet, Puppies are dicks is correct about the shield wall. Formation war is best war. I guess I'll go along with the others and vote boat. As for who to bring, well I say bring Nauma, Lambi and Domarr. I don't have a preference for the fourth.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Puppies are dicks posted:

1. Lawspeaker, why not. Maybe he's originally from someplace we know or is related to someone we're good/bad with. If he's the most far travelled and well known there's a chance we've overlapped before in terms of social circles.
2. Death for Sorkell, might be not quite right now or at the thing but the Missus says death for Sorkell because he's bad magic and I'm inclined to believe her. Give it a while, wait at least until after the thing, do it right and we can probably count on Wood-nose for support in this. 'No immediate danger' she says right? Maybe she can whip up something magic-y to cancel out whatever the hell he's got up his sleeve for when we do get murdering? Good to start preparing for it now right?
3. No. They can ask again later, when we are more established but for now the best formation is the safest formation- Shield wall. Stick with it, practice so you know which way to turn and how not to trip over your own drat feet and it pretty near to takes care of itself. There's a reason shield walls are so drat popular and it's not because they're sexy and well marketed.
4. Domarr- Exiled though he may be, he's still the son of a king and presumably useful at this sort of thing particularly if someone recognises him or asks him about how he came by his snowy locks. He can regale them firsthand with our tale of awesome bravery!
Nauma- Probably some sort of magic business or womens' doings she can get up to at the thing. Doesn't hurt either for her to get a look at Sorkell firsthand to make sure that she wants him dead/confirm his power or something.
Lambi- Smith stuff, floating the idea out there that we've got a guy who can do work for trade and generally having a respected and skilled craftsman here will help our position I think.
Myrun- I'd like a dedicated fighter on hand in case things turn lovely, but I don't want to bring Asulf in the event that Wood-nose's lovely son decides this is a great time to raid our fledgling community. Plus Asulf would just get drunk and be a bother anyway. At least we can trust Myrun to stay upright and not poo poo her breeches.

I endorse this plan wholeheartedly. Sorkell probably needs to die sooner or later, but I feel that's a low priority right now, at least until he starts cursing our crops/sheep/fish/etc. If we can pop him and split his land/goods with Wood-Nose then we'll be down one potentially hostile neighbor and up one close, highly indebted, friend. I'd like to get Fearghas a sword but, as has been mentioned, a good sword takes nearly as much metal as a mail vest, and only one of those will save you from a knife in the back so...

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Wentley posted:

The Lawspeaker is who I'm interested in. We should kill the warlock but through smarts. I agree that we should have Nauma see if she can tell why Wood-Nose is cursed, especially if she can prove it was sneaky-pants-wouldn't-want-anything-to-happen-to-your-crops-Sorkell. Then we can bring it up at the Thing. No swords yet, Puppies are dicks is correct about the shield wall. Formation war is best war. I guess I'll go along with the others and vote boat. As for who to bring, well I say bring Nauma, Lambi and Domarr. I don't have a preference for the fourth.

This with Myrun as the 4th

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Colonel Wood posted:

This with Myrun as the 4th

Ditto

PythagoreanCup
Jul 31, 2013

Widely regarded as a bad move.
1. Sven the Wise
2. Yes. He will die, not today, but soon-when we have the resources.
3. No. They may practice with branches in place of blades until our settlement is secure.
4. Turn our efforts towards honoring our dead and glorifying the gods. In honor of Odin, Gallows-God, we will give both Bursti Word-Reed and Beardless Hugi funerals befitting them. I believe the proper procedure is collect the bodies and their belongings and burn them in a pyre, then cover the remains in various layers of rock and dirt until they have an appropriately sized barrow. We lack the bodies, but we can leave Hugi with a simple weapon and shield, he wished to be a warrior and he died a warrior's death. For Bursti perhaps the fruits of our own trade and a token of hack silver will suffice.
5. A. Nauma B. Domarr Snow-Locks C. Fearghas E. Hammer-Ear Lambi

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
1. Sven the Wise
2. Yes, make a sacrifice of him to Odin.
3. No.
4. I agree with PythagoreanCup. We've ignored the Gods for too long, they must be honored.
5. A, B, C, D

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1. Sven the Wise, because wisdom is in his name!
2. Kill him but hold off for a bit to see if he can actually back up his... kindnesses
3. Practice with wooden swords until we have the time and iron to make them. More important things first.
4. Do God-stuff so that Solva doesn't try to kill a monk or someone else in her zealotry.
5. Nauma, Dommar, Lambi, Solva. The others have said the reasons for the first three. But I don't think we will have an issue at the thing requiring a bodyguard. I would rather make sure that Solva doesn't try to do something stupid to please the Gods, like kill a monk, while we are away.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Results - We Can Trust Myrun to Stay Upright And Not poo poo Her Breeches

Sven - 11
Ivar - 2

Yes - 11
No - 2

No - 12 - But they will practice with wooden weapons, and only after they have mastered the shield-wall.
Yes - 1

Build a Small fishing boat - 5
Funerals for our Dead - 3

Also, a number of people asked Nauma to try to divine Sorkell's sorcery. This is possible as she will not be helping with boat building.

5. Who do we bring with us to the Thing?

Nauma - 12
Hammer-Ear Lambi - 10
Domarr - 8
Myrun - 7

Fearghas - 5
Ásúlf Horn-Stream - 3
Solva - 2
Steinbjorn - 1

-----------

So, due to getting very behind on work today and the fact that Things are fairly complex, the next update will be tommorow morning. I feel really bad about this, just because I like to get a post out once a day.

EDIT
Eh, no one submitted, which is fine. If anyone has anything you can still post.

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 4, 2013

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Toke Leaves Höggormsinsfjörd, Goes to The Thing, and is Offered Riches.

In the days leading up to the Thing you and Lambi work together to build a fishing boat. The vessel is buoyant though it is a good thing your fjord is narrow and protected from most of the unsteady waves. Yet the experience is a good one and Lambi says that your next boat wil be even better, though you will not be able to make a truly seaworthy vessel until you find a dedicated shipwright.

Nauma casts runes made from draugr teeth to determine how powerful Sorkell is. She travels to the line dividing your land and and that of Bjorn Wood-Nose. Though you do not go with her she comes back and tells you Wood-Nose is cursed. There are strong hexes on his land, and she even was able to recover a buried stick, carved in runes made to curse soil. She says that your field is protected by draugr teeth she carved and bled on so that they make repel spells, but the rest of your land is not thus protected. Should Sorkell be behind the attacks on Wood-Nose, which Nauma is confident he is, and he turns his attention on you Höggormsinsfjörd will look like Wood-Nose’s wasteland. You resolve that Sorkell must be killed, but how and when are not decided yet.

Fearghas is more disappointed than Domarr about not getting a sword. He understands the reasoning, he is just rubbish with anything else. Lambi makes some wooden swords with stone pommels for the two to practice with and they seem well pleased with that.

The journey to the Thing will take many days. As such you prepare for the travel along with those you take with you, packing food, clothes, and potential tradeable wares. Nauma will be accompanying you, for she is your wife and closest adviser and she wishes to see Sorkell to take the measure of him. Lambi will be coming as well, hopefully he will be able to get more iron to work with, or sell himself out to other jarls for money. Domarr, whose white hair is the only mark of his experience with the draugr, will be coming as well for as the son of a King - especially one killed by Harald Fairhair, he will be a powerful voice on your side. Finally, after long deliberation, you have chosen Myrun as the representative of your warriors. She is stoic and wise beyond her years, with a thirst for battle. Ásúlf is saddened that he will not be going and he weeps great tears while in his cups. You tell him that the homestead needs protection, which falls to him and Fearghas. Ásúlf is most pleased by this.

As you leave Solva asks if she may perform burial rites for Beardless Hugi and Bursti Word-Reed while you are gone. She says that the funerals would be better if all were in attendance, but to wait for you to return from the Thing would take weeks. She would rather honor them sooner than later and let their souls rest finally.

1. Should Solva perform funerals while you are gone?

A. Yes - She is perfectly capable of doing this in our stead.
B. No - No, they were our followers, we should do it.

While you walk out of your valley, you turn back and see the small longhouse, the milking shed, the forge, and the temple. This is your home and it always feels good to see it from this vantage point. You recite a short poem about it.

The Serpent tail churned the sea, and Sovla churns the butter.
The great beast battered the sea-goat, and Lambi batters his ore.
That wyrm cut through ocean’s waves, Steinborn cuts through earth’s fields.
The sea snake drank down our blood, and Ásúlf drinks down his honey-mead.
The monster circled drowning men, Toke circles a growing land.
The Serpent lives. Toke lives. One will live on the other’s death.

It takes three days to walk to the location of the Thing, a place that both Wood-Nose and Sorkell had given directions to. It is along the banks of a steaming lake. The land around it goes from green to dead black as you approach. There are many people here from the different farms and settlements. You are clearly the smallest. There is ample opportunity for the trade of both goods, livestock, and people.

2. What do you want to focus on trading for during the Thing?

A. Goods (Wool, wood, grain, iron, precious stones, etc.)
B. Livestock (Sheep, Goats, Ponies, Cows, Chickens, etc.)
C. People (New followers, thanes, thralls, tenants, etc.)
D. Other (Specify)
E. Nothing.

You see other chiefs and jarls as you go about your business, you even see Sven the Wise, though you have yet to speak to the man. Sorkell has told you much about Sven. Sven Gudrodsson has traveled far in his time, he has been on raids in Ireland and England. He used to trade with the Franks as well. And he has even sailed past Narvesund into the great sea beyond, though Sorkell knew nothing of these lands, other than Sven supposedly came back with great heaps of gold and jewels. Sven can speak as a Norseman and as a Saxon or Frank. He has a reputation for appreciating art and things showing reverence to the gods. Sven has been Lawspeaker for three years and he has judged fairly, hearing from anyone who wishes to speak on the matter at hand. He does not like flared tempers or shouting and any men wishing to duel or fight must do it well away from the Thing. Sven follows the law as best he can, though he is aware this is a new land for everyone. He hates Harald Fairhair, something he speaks openly about when in his cups.

This is all you know.

One day, before your trial, a man comes. He says his name is Shiver Wulfe, he is a thane of Scarred Hakkon. He tells that Hakkon was fighting under Kjotve the Rich at the Battle of Hafrsfjord. He remembers you and your ferocity. Shiver Wulfe says that Hakkon owns many ships that go a-viking in the summer, and Hakkon is willing to trust one ship to you - assuming you live through the Thing of course. You would be able to divide the booty however you see fit after Hakkon gets his share. Shiver Wulfe is even willing to help you find a crew for such an expedition.

3. Do you accept the offer and go raiding next summer?

A. Yes
B. No

Yet Shiver Wulfe’s visit is more of a distraction, you must prepare for your trial.

4. How do you prepare in the coming days?
(Examples Include: Prep your witnesses to say things, bribe jarls and chieftains, come up with a plan to flee, try to make yourself known and liked by other etc.)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dude twelve hours isn't long enough to compose a poem! Leave the poetry contest open until we get back to the homestead and see Asulf again.

1: A, as long as she doesn't try and kill anyone as a sacrifice.
2: C, people! Men! Wives! Tenants!
3: Why not! This is why we need more dudes at home to protect it and run it in our absence, though.
4: Make ourselves liked and run through our legal arguments with our friendly witnesses.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Penguingo posted:

Dude twelve hours isn't long enough to compose a poem! Leave the poetry contest open until we get back to the homestead and see Asulf again.

You're right. I just got antsy.

Poetry Contest Back Open!

Write a poem about the wild life of Ásúlf Horn-Stream, lover
of fighting, booze, women, sheep, and friendship!

The winning poem will be made official back-story of Ásúlf, no matter how badass or not-badass. Perhaps Ásúlf has a tender side we don't know about, a tragic childhood, maybe he really just wants to drink his way into his grave. It's all up to you!

As per Penguingo's suggestion I promise to keep the contest open until you guys get back to the homestead.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Then you can have my poem now!

quote:

Thane Hiordlinger's daughter was kidnapped by outlaws
Who carried her off to the hills, the hills
The Thane surely raged and a campaign was waged
To ensure that the outlaws were killed, were killed

Came Rothgar the Mighty, his helm gleaming brightly
He promised return through his sword, his shield
The Thane's household cheered for not one of them feared
Rothgar's loss once he took to the field

Came back Rothgar's head, the shield staining red,
And threats from the outlaws so cruel, so bold
"Your champion's strong but against such a throng,
Hope lies not in steel but in gold, in gold."

Came Narud the Swift, whose personal gift
Was a prodigal aim with the bolt, the bow
Though seen as less fair to hurl death through the air
Thane's patience was dwindling low, so low.

Came back Narud's hands - that terrible band
Of outlaws had hacked them with swords, with knives.
"A bowman at range might your fortunes have changed
Had we not seen him when he arrived, arrived."

Came Hámal the Scout, who with barely a doubt
Could stealthily flit past all guards, all men
His chosen approach, often drawing reproach
Might bring back the lost one again, again.

Came back Hámal's feet, with message replete
Of the threats that the outlaws had made
"If you won't pay the ransom, your daughter so handsome
Shall return to you butchered and flayed, and flayed!"

Came Ásúlf the Brewer, who as hopes grew fewer
Had started to hatch up a plan, a plot
He gathered supplies of his ales, meads and wines,
And set off to the outlaw's known spot

No armour or stealth were the guard to his health
But a wagon of drink and a smile, good cheer
The bandits they drank and to slumber they sank
And he slit their throats quickly from ear, to ear.

Came back Ásúlf slow, with Thane's maid in tow
Still reeling from all he had supped, had drank
And while he was proud he still begged "not so loud!"
His headache could not handle cheers, the thanks.

Left Ásúlf months later, his feet somewhat straighter,
To seek fortune he could call his own, his own
He left at a dash to avoid a sound thrash
For the Thane's daughter's belly had grown, had grown!

The heartwarming tale of how a drunk killed a bunch of outlaws, hosed the chief's daughter, and got cast out :shobon:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Don't think anybody will top that. :tiphat:

1. Go ahead, but don't kill anyone, hmmm? Especially the monks.
2. New Freemen, Daughters and a liegelord. Focus most of our effort on building up our capabilities. We mostly lack people, already have a witch and blacksmith. So new freemen and women to have families with are most important. But we should also see if there is a local lord or strongman we can attend or ally with.
3. No. We need to make sure we have a sound footing in our second summer. We can start a-viking in our third year here. Make sure you tell him that we admire his offer!
4. Sell off the blacksmith's and our wife's services. Being liked is one thing, being useful is another. And see if we can't show off our warrior's strength and poeticalness to show our strength of arm will be good to have.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Penguingo posted:

3: Why not! This is why we need more dudes at home to protect it and run it in our absence, though.
4: Make ourselves liked and run through our legal arguments with our friendly witnesses.

I agree with everything Penguingo has said, including the poetry. Also, nice poem! Though Slaan does have a point. If we can't find tenants, we should stay home. If we do, we viking!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We need to present Wood-Nose the head of Sorkell or something after we are done killing him. Perhaps we can capture him too, and sacrifice him to the gods, if they will accept such a thing.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. A
2. E
3. A

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Penguingo posted:

Yes but this for #4:

4.- Show Wood-Nose the cursed rune stick from his land and get him to drop his complaint. We can show him the rune stick and let him know that we plan to "deal with the problem" behind it and the curse on his land.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Colonel Wood posted:

Yes but this for #4:

4.- Show Wood-Nose the cursed rune stick from his land and get him to drop his complaint. We can show him the rune stick and let him know that we plan to "deal with the problem" behind it and the curse on his land.

I think this is the way to go. Wood-nose seems to like us, and is just insulted by us (legally) stealing from him. Go to him with our witchwife, get her to show him the stick, and tell him if he drops the charge we'll remove the curse in payment for the sheep, and then together (if we're certain it was Sorkel) we'll cut the fuckers head off and split the takings 50/50.

edit: 1: A, Just don't sacrifice anything bigger than a poodle. She can give Odin the lamb if it comes out of the ewe while we're away.
2: C/A, we need people so we can kill more things, and make things to kill things easier. Also some more metal, for making kill stuff.
3: No, We need to solidify our position here first. and it seems there's plenty of weird things in kill at home.

4 cont: Ask around for firewyms so our battlegirl can achieve her dream.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 5, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

I think this is the way to go. Wood-nose seems to like us, and is just insulted by us (legally) stealing from him. Go to him with our witchwife, get her to show him the stick, and tell him if he drops the charge we'll remove the curse in payment for the sheep, and then together (if we're certain it was Sorkel) we'll cut the fuckers head off and split the takings 50/50.

I like this too.

Seven-and-ten
Jul 31, 2013

Addition is hard
1. A. Solva is perfectly capable of performing the burials on her own.
2. B. As a newly settled homestead, increasing our food security by obtaining more livestock is more important than growing the population. There is no point bringing more settlers in if they're just going to starve.
3. B. As flattering as Scarred Hakkon's offer is, raided silver will do us no good if we return to our home and have nothing to eat. Tell Shiver Wulfe that if Hakkon wishes to ask again in a year's time, the conditions will be more favourable for us.
4. As Colonel Wood has suggested, Show Wood-Nose the cursed rune stick from his land.

PythagoreanCup
Jul 31, 2013

Widely regarded as a bad move.
1. A. Yes, we can trust her to carry out the funeral rights. When we return we can hold a second ceremony to honor them as a clan.
2. C. I want new followers and free men, those who our current followers could start families with and so that our boy may have other children to play with.
3. B. No, our settlement is too young. We should thank him and give the man a skin of ale and comb of honey for coming out to ask us.
4. Begin to plot with Wood-Nose. Using Colonel Wood and Outrail's plan we will come to him with our suspicions after having visiting Sorkell our self and having heard his honeyed threats and offers of protection, then we will show him the stick and use Outrail's offer. I do not think that should be the end of it however, we will have days still of travel to get to the Thing and time to spare in making preparations while we walk and make camp on the way. If Wood-Nose is amenable to our offer we should have our followers prepared to speak against Sorkell in case the issue comes up at the Thing.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Penguingo posted:

Yes, yes, yes.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

1. A.
2. C.
3. A. We're loving vikings!
4. As per Colonel Wood, show Wood-nose the stick

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Penguingo posted:

Voting for this, and also showing Wood-Nose the stick. How hard would it be to use that as evidence at the Thing itself? Could we throw the weight of the law at Sorkell, or are we going to have to do this the old fashioned way i.e. knives in the dark? Also, Penguingo wrote and awesome poem that should be canon.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

If no-one else writes a poem I'm going to start gnashing the edge of my shield in this thread.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Penguingo posted:

If no-one else writes a poem I'm going to start gnashing the edge of my shield in this thread.

I'm working on one right now Penguingo, but it's slow going on my phone and I'm at work for like two straight days after this. Looks like you might take the wreath by default. Great showing though!

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
To show my appreciation, and to demonstrate that it is as easy as some have shown (if you write drek) here is my entry.

code:
Ásúlf Horn-Stream	

Hear of Asulf blood-axe		Learn of Asulf kin’s-bane
Whose axe is mighty		Whose sorrow is plain

An ice-rimmed evening		All tables strained
Betrothed and happy		All clans contained
The hold was raucous		Asulf was there
No mead he swallowed		His horn was bare 

Serpent-cunning Kori		Asulf’s bride did desire
Spewed rivalrous puss		Asulf swallowed entire
His fury awoke			Baresark he tore
All tried to flee		Blood the hall wore

Asulf awoke			Axe in hand
The hold was bare		As was the land
Asulf now drinks		Mayhap to forget
Gerrid, kin and guests		Or his thirst to whet

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Great poems, they are far more detailed and intricate than mine. I gotta step up my game :(

1. Should Solva perform funerals?

A. Yes - 11

B. No - 0

2. What do you want to focus on trading?

A. Goods - 1
B. Livestock - 1
C. People - 9
E. Nothing - 1

3. Do you go raiding next summer?

A. Yes - 7
B. No - 4

4. How do you prepare in the coming days?

Make ourselves liked and run through our legal arguments with our friendly witnesses.
Show Wood-Nose the cursed rune stick from his land and get him to drop his complaint.

Ask around for firewyms so our battlegirl can achieve her dream.
Sell off the blacksmith's and our wife's services.

We are going to try to do all of these because I think they can all work together.

Update coming in a bit, it's a lot of stuff to cover.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
How Toke Purchased Thralls, Made Allies, and Stood Trial.

You thank Shiver Wulfe and tell him to let Hakkon know that your axe is his next summer. Wulfe is quite pleased with your answer and he lets you know the details and contracts will be signed at a later date. You suspect he does not wish to do paperwork in the event that you are killed or enslaved.

Together with Nauma, Lami and Domarr you spend time trying to attract people to your cause. You go about introducing yourself to karls and freedmen. You are pleasant but not overly humble. You regale them with tales of the crowning of Harald Fairhair and your battles with the rainbow serpent and the draugr, which you have turned into poems. The liquor you share freely also is helpful.

Nauma and Lambi sell their services, letting people know about Höggormsinsfjörd and the opportunity such land presents to those who wish to strike out and settle virgin land. Nauma casts runes and weaves simple spells for those who can pay, spells and charms for fortune, health and fertility - or infertility in some cases. She also gives away some charms for free after casting runes, but you can detect no pattern in her choices. On the second day of her doing this she puts up a sign outside her tent, saying that she is taking apprentices. Quite suddenly many young girls are appearing with their fathers in tow. The girls vanish into the tent with Nauma while the fathers wait outside, making small talk with you and Lambi, when he is there.

For his part Lambi wanders from camp to camp repairing and offering advice to other, less experienced, smiths. He is well received by most and many warriors are pleased to meet a man who can repair their shirts so easily. He spends some time making little trinkets out of slag scrap-iron, which he gives away to children, or pretty ladies who catch his eye. After two days of his smithing you have come to expect people showing up asking for the service of Lambi.

Domarr visits jarls and other influential landowners. As nobility there are certain customs that must be observed when he visits. He is a courteous and humble guest and makes it a point to honor his hosts as much as possible. He talks of your bravery in battle and how you saved his life. Women are quite taken with his noble bearing, good-looks, and white hair. He recognizes that sometimes the wife or daughter is more powerful than the man on the high seat, and he plays to them. He is also tries to smooth any tensions that may be building from accusations of your thievery, and your association with Harald.

Myrun stays close to you when you travel, as such she meets many warriors who laugh at her and question her ability as a fighter. She thrashes many of these warriors. She also hears rumors of a firewrym in the lava-fields to the north of your neighbors Thorvald and Laufi. She asks for permission to travel to the north and find and fight the beast.

1. Do you allow Myrun to go?

A. Yes
B. No
C. Yes but with stipulations
(What?)

Nauma uses most of your funds to buy thralls. She purchases a man and woman from Mikligarðr. They have recently had a child. Nauma decides that the woman, named Joannina, will serve as milk-maid to Donar. The male, Valerius, and the child are your concern. Though she suggests killing the child so that Donar will be able to feed on his own.

2. What should Valerius be used for?
(We can either give him one job that he does and does really well, or he can be used for various labor. He won’t become as skilled in them as he would if he had one job, but he won’t be terrible either. )

3. Do you want to kill the baby?

A. Yes.
B. No.

After all your preparation you receive several visitors who are interested in moving to Höggormsinsfjörd. But they are waiting until after your trial before they commit to such an action. You understand of course, it is only appropriate. You ask Lambi, Myrun, and Domarr to present themselves as witnesses, they all agree and discuss how to present your virtues best if they are called upon. The day before your trial you take Nauma and go visit Bjorn Wood-Nose.

Wood-Nose’s tent is guarded by his son Faraldr Thin-Mouth. Faraldr tries to keep you from entering but Nauma threatens to curse him with boils and make it so his sword is forever wilted. Faraldr balks at this and leaves. Wood-Nose is pleased to see you, and a little saddened you took so long to visit him. He says that if you have come to plead that the charges are dropped his hands are tied. The law says you must have a trial, though he is rooting for you. Nauma shows him the rune stick. She explains the situation, she found it on his land and she is positive it comes from Sorkell. She says that Sorkell clearly cursed Wood-Nose and tried to make a profit as he did so. It is likely that Sorkell hoped to chase Wood-Nose off the land, or buy it from his cheaply, and then the curse would be lifted and Sorkell would have doubled his land.

Wood-Nose asks if the curse can be removed. Nauma says possibly. She has observed Sorkell and though he is a man he is quite strong in seidr. He has likely cursed the land quite thoroughly and though Nauma might be able to remove the curse it would be expensive and time-consuming. It would be more beneficial if Sorkell was just killed altogether. Wood-Nose agrees with this. He says that, as Sorkell’s heir is only a babe and his land populated by thralls, taking the land and splitting it between the two of you should be easy. You agree, and ask that since you have brought the issue to Wood-Nose you have first pick of the land. Wood-Nose says you may, though he is wary and says the details will be worked out later. For now, you must prepare for your trial, only if you are alive and free can the both of you claim your reward.

Your trial is at night. In the light of the burning torches Sven the Wise climbs to the top of the hill. He starts by reciting the Law from memory. He then asks the gods to offer guidance at this Thing and help the truth come to light. He then kills a thrall in Odin’s name and settles down on the grass, ready to hear the case. Yours is not the first, nor is it the last. When it does come up, Sven looks down his nose at you.

“Toke Frodsson, also known as Toke Serpent-Breaker, and Toke King-Maker,” he spits at this last one. “You are charged with the theft of six sheep. For this crime you shall have to pay wereguild or else face exile or servitude. The injured person in this matter is Bjorn Eitrisson, also known as Bjorn Wood-Nose. Bjorn, what say you on this matter?”

Bjorn stand and looks over the crowd. “I say....” he pauses and smiles. Bjorn is something of a showman it seems. “I say........that Toke Serpent-Breaker has done no wrong!”

There is much uproar at this and Sven yells loudly for quiet.

Bjorn continues. “Though I know that Toke Bjorn-Friend has broken the Law and thus must be judged, I will have no part in it. I have already judged him and found him innocent!”

Bjorn sits down heavily and swings from his drinking horn. He grins and waved at you. Faraldr scowls.

“Toke Frodsson!” Sven says. “What say you?”

4. How do you defend yourself? (Pick two)

A. Speak for yourself. (If so what will you say? It will be a poem, but what is it about?)
B. Have Lambi the smith speak in your favor.
C. Have Domarr the prince speak in your favor.
D. Have Myrun the shieldmaiden speak in your favor.
E. Ask Wood-Nose to speak for you.
F. Ask Sorkell to speak for you.
H. Ask someone else to speak for you.
(Nauma is illegible since she is your wife sadly.)

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

A
B
F
, because why not?

A RICH WHITE MAN fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 6, 2013

• Locked thread