Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Toffile posted:

You need to grind a cannon while your board is on fire. Every level has one of those cutscenes.

I've told Vifs we need to revisit each stage at some point and show off every little thing. So soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Zackcat posted:

I've told Vifs we need to revisit each stage at some point and show off every little thing. So soon!

I completely forgot about that. I actually thought the cannon thing was a goal but it's optional and I wondered why it never happened in this video.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zackcat posted:

I think in most levels you need to actually do it as a goal or as a means to a goal, so it won't be that big of a deal.

Also I can't believe neither of you picked up on Star Wars Kid. This game is a stockpile of dated material.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:

Toffile posted:

I think in most levels you need to actually do it as a goal or as a means to a goal, so it won't be that big of a deal.

Also I can't believe neither of you picked up on Star Wars Kid. This game is a stockpile of dated material.

Yah the cannons are more of an easter egg than a goal. Also we picked up on Star Wars Kid, but it was funnier, to me, to make fun of Zackcat.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think the cannon is one of the goals in the Arcade mode, if memory serves me.

Which reminds me, Vifs do you plan on going through Arcade mode when you're done with the main story?

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

OneDeadman posted:

I think the cannon is one of the goals in the Arcade mode, if memory serves me.

Which reminds me, Vifs do you plan on going through Arcade mode when you're done with the main story?

Yah I plan on going though classic mode after I finish the main story.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Vifs posted:

Yah the cannons are more of an easter egg than a goal. Also we picked up on Star Wars Kid, but it was funnier, to me, to make fun of Zackcat.

Doesn't the other window across from the star wars kid have the goat fucker that's been hidden in the game since, what? THPS3?

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Doesn't the other window across from the star wars kid have the goat fucker that's been hidden in the game since, what? THPS3?

I will be showing off everything I missed in a bonus update.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Jesus, I remember this game. I don't remember a whole lot about this game, mind, but I remember it. I also remember that it was unquestionably the game AFTER American Wasteland that killed skating games, at least for me (Project 8, I think?). Something about it was just different and inherently unfun. Wasteland still had some great gameplay.

THUG 2 suffers story-wise from two different directions. Not only is the plot and the jokes incredibly dated today, but they're not even MEMORABLY dated. I can't remember jack poo poo about this game's story and I know I at least got to the final level, if not beat it. THUG 1, on the other hand, I could probably give a half-decent synopsis of.

Also:

Holepunchio posted:

Wikipedia links are kind of weak when we could be watching why these people are awesome!

Bob Burnquist slaughtering a Vert run at X Games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFeHUdEQ1Zs

I got into skating games without having been a skateboard fan at first, so watching that Burnquist video I had to actually retrain my brain a bit to understand it. Because the one part goes "Wait, what's so impressive about that?" and then the other half pokes it and says "Just a reminder, in the real world people can't get forty feet of air off a half-pipe and pull three tricks before going back down."

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

:siren:Update:siren:

Ep 2b: How does that even work?: Youtube 12M

Ok showed off everything left in Boston, for the most part. Also gently caress you, I'm not doing all the gaps.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vifs posted:

Ep 2b: How does that even work?: Youtube

"This video is unavailable. Sorry about that."

I think YouTube wants you to get all the gaps, too. :colbert:

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

"This video is unavailable. Sorry about that."

I think YouTube wants you to get all the gaps, too. :colbert:

That's weird, it works on my end... I've heard that youtube has been having some issues the last few days. :iiam:

Edit: Clearly it's a plot to get more views on my lovely website.

Vifs fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 26, 2013

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

The video worked fine for me. Also the explosion is less impressive then I remember. That will probably sum up this game.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
This isn't gonna be a 100% gap playthrough? I cannot put my disappointment into words. :colbert:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
After you set the restart point on the top of the building why didn't you try to warp back there after knocking it down?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Not all gaps? 0/5, will not read.

Speaking of, I love how the 100% gaps victory message in THUG1 pretty much blatantly accuses you of using gamefaqs to find them all.

As far as the goat guy, in most of the games he's usually standing immediately behind the goat, and is super stoked about it. In THPS3 you can find him behind a house in the suburbs. In THPS4 he's hiding behind the midway at the carnival, in THUG1 he's behind the UFO shaped strip club in Miami. We showed where he is here, and I remember in THAW, he's in a secret hotel room in Hollywood several stories up, with the goat on the bed. I can't speak for any of the other Tony Hawk games.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

I got into skating games without having been a skateboard fan at first, so watching that Burnquist video I had to actually retrain my brain a bit to understand it. Because the one part goes "Wait, what's so impressive about that?" and then the other half pokes it and says "Just a reminder, in the real world people can't get forty feet of air off a half-pipe and pull three tricks before going back down."

Watching skate comps when you don't know how the scoring works, is like watching a strategy game that you've never played. You don't really know who's doing well until someone falls down into a pool of their own blood and even then you can't tell if they were doing well up until then.

Blue Ghost fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 26, 2013

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Vifs posted:

:siren:Voting!:siren:
Oh hey, I forgot to post this with the update, but for the next stage we get to vote again! Also please make you vote in bold tags with first and last name, because I'm lazy and I want my voting program to do all the work for me.

Rodney Mullen
Chad Muska
Mike Vallely

This is still going on for another day or two, I think some people might have forgot about this sense we had that bonus update.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I throw my vote in for Rodney Mullen

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Why not just play with Chad Muska

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
There was also jumping up into the ceiling on the fans to the right of the hospital. That made you drop from a high point onto a ramp at the building site, or something. It's been ages.

To be honest, I liked the game when I played it. I was also into Jackass at the time so that might have helped. I did always consider it a bit too unfunnily random, though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I remember playing that at a friend's; it had a crazy amount of music you just didn't hear in boring old Ontario (seriously, if it wasn't top 40, we never heard it), and a nice open-world-ish change from all the JSRF I played.

Wasn't there a track with samples from Cash's Ring of Fire and/or the Imperial March from Star Wars?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Ring of Fire is in the game, it's part of the tracklist. One of my (few) memories of this game is it coming up when I went to the Hell area in Pro Skater.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

:siren:Poll Closed:siren:

Rodney Mullen got 5 many votes
Mike Vallely got 1 many votes
Chad Muska got 1 many votes

Seems like Rodney Mullen won with a pretty clean victory.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

:siren:Update:siren:

Ep 3: K Pasta?: Youtube 12M

Sorry about the late update we have a bit of technical issues with Zackcats audio. Also you are forced to use someone for the next stage as the pro, so no voting.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm not sure what's worse, the special guests and their vehicles, or the fact that the area guests (Ben Franklin, etc.) all wobble on their boards.

And yeah, I remember that level as being a pain in the rear end.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

This is the only Tony Hawk game I own, and the only one I played besides the one on one of the Playstation Demo Discs.I didn't mind it that much...

But yeah, gently caress that stage. The next stage is at least a bit more fun.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently someone is upset that I interfered with the famed Vifs/Zackcat dynamic.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The only thing I remember from Barcelona was uh the floor is lava goal and the area across the river. Oh and the mime chase. It's funny. It's mime violence, see.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
What I got from the video is that a game that was designed for skateboarding isn't fun when you're not skating? But that stage looked awful for anything that isn't a skateboard and even then not very good for said skateboard.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I remember spending hours on this stage just grinding from one corner of the map to the other. The map is really kind of bad to skate around, but if you just like grinding poo poo you can have some fun.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
As a teenager I thought it kicked rear end that Steve-o was in the game. Then I tried to control him.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
In case some people were curious about the Spanish from the billboard and from Paulie,

The billboard was incomplete but said something along the lines of "You have the right to be x"

And what Paulie said to the girl at the end: "Me grande chorizo es el jefe mamacita" = "My giant sausage is the chief, mommy!"

I ran it by my linguistically versed friend.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I understand that the appeal of Jackass is watching people on crazy jury-rigged vehicles that control like poo poo, but when you put them in a game maybe you shouldn't end up with crazy jury-rigged vehicles that control like poo poo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The only thing I ever liked about this stage is "My bull is Rad! YEAh!!" From Steve-O, as it was the closest thing in the game to a VO actually trying to sound enthusiastic. I do honestly love the next stage though.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Lunethex posted:

In case some people were curious about the Spanish from the billboard and from Paulie,

The billboard was incomplete but said something along the lines of "You have the right to be x"

And what Paulie said to the girl at the end: "Me grande chorizo es el jefe mamacita" = "My giant sausage is the chief, mommy!"

I ran it by my linguistically versed friend.

The creepiest thing about that line to me is that Paulie is ten.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Apparently someone is upset that I interfered with the famed Vifs/Zackcat dynamic.

No offense to Zackcat but what ever happened to that Karule(?) guy who commentated the first bunch of THUG videos?

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

BattleHamster posted:

No offense to Zackcat but what ever happened to that Karule(?) guy who commentated the first bunch of THUG videos?

From the last thread? IIRC vifs said that his co-commentator had real life stuff come up.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Vagithug posted:

From the last thread? IIRC vifs said that his co-commentator had real life stuff come up.

More or less. He graduated and became a workaholic and is almost never online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

For some reason, the more I watch this, and the more I think about it. I wonder if we'll ever get a really good Tony Hawk game again. I remember enjoying American Wasteland, but now I think that may just have been from being a dumb kid. THUG was great, and I really enjoy the Pro Skater series, but from what I can tell we haven't had a good one for a long time.

• Locked thread