Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I loving hate this level because when I was a kid I was like "Oh, awesome! Skatopia! Finally we can drop this destruction gimmick bullshit and just focus on landing sweet-rear end tricks in an awesome skate park!"

And then it was a farm or some poo poo.

I loving hate this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Skatopia is actually a real skatepark. There's even a skateboard museum.

Doctor Chef
Nov 3, 2005
"Clothes Pigs?"
From the name of the level I thought this video was going to be something completely different.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
0044-2830-3329

ADD ME.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Added you Zackcat 2449-5151-3438

Wanna see your friend Safari.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
This level seemed to be a little strange in that it was mostly dirt instead of the pavement that we have been having up to this point. Does it effect the way that you skate (like slowing down)?

Zackcat you sound "enthusiastic" about Pokemon X and Y, what are your feelings on there only been 69(?) new Pokemon in X and Y?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blue Ghost posted:

This level seemed to be a little strange in that it was mostly dirt instead of the pavement that we have been having up to this point. Does it effect the way that you skate (like slowing down)?

Zackcat you sound "enthusiastic" about Pokemon X and Y, what are your feelings on there only been 69(?) new Pokemon in X and Y?

I'm not Zack, but I've found it to actually work pretty well. The map is broken into three zones (central, coastal, mountain) and each zone has its own listing of 150-ish unique pokemon (I don't think any show up in multiple pokedexes even if you can see one on a trainer or something). The new ones are mixed in among these and the old ones are from all the generations so it doesn't feel like "Pokemon Black with a handful of new guys so they can claim it's different" (like B2/W2 did with "catch previous-gen pokemon before the postgame"). It also lets them add a lot more variety, so rather than an ice cave with about three guys you can see a lot of different ones (looking at my pokedex and gaps I'd say at least 8-10 different evolutionary lines in that cave). They've also taken some "endgame" guys (late-evolvers like various dragons and Golett/Golurk) and moved them to around the second gym, so you get guys to play with that usually don't see action since you have your team locked in by habit.

All-in-all it manages to feel fresh by the sheer number of different pokemon it lets you find before the postgame and straying from the standard "maybe 5 different pokemon before the first gym" tropes. You may have a bunch of similar-niche guys like Bidoof, Dunsparse, Zigzagoon and Bunnelby (starter-zone normal types who evolve early and don't get much special) but that means you actually get to pick which to use. Not a big choice but it's one you get to make and there's enough small differences to make it "interesting". I don't think it can be stressed enough that while old zones would have 5 different species the new ones can easily have 10 or more to find. I've gone through entire caves without fighting the same pokemon twice.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Blue Ghost posted:

Two words.

Goo-dra.

(I am completely fine with it. Quality over Quantity.)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Bruceski posted:

. You may have a bunch of similar-niche guys like Bidoof, Dunsparse, Zigzagoon and Bunnelby (starter-zone normal types who evolve early and don't get much special) but that means you actually get to pick which to use.

Dunsparce doesn't evolve.:ssh:

Also yeah, I liked the game. There were enough new pokemon for me to enjoy without seeming to rely on old ones, but at the same time, there were enough old things that I saw enough variety.

Zackcat I was so hoping when I saw your Friend Safari was water that you had a Milotic I could breed and trade for Xerneasses(Xernea?) but alas

On topic, this was about where I stopped playing as a kid, because it got to the point where I wasn't good enough to get the 750 points to continue, because I was am bad at video games.

Edit: THANK YOU SO MUCH ZACKCAT! I traded you a Pawniard and you gave me a Protean Froakie.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 19, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Zackcat posted:

Two words.

Goo-dra.

(I am completely fine with it. Quality over Quantity.)

I got a Moxie Gyarados from your safari. :respek:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So this is the part of the LP where the guest shills stuff for a good cause, right? Because y'all should add 3437-3514-4511 for a nifty zone thing.
PS Forgive us, Vifs.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

added. 2449-5151-3438

Sorry Vifs.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

Dunsparce doesn't evolve.:ssh:

Also yeah, I liked the game. There were enough new pokemon for me to enjoy without seeming to rely on old ones, but at the same time, there were enough old things that I saw enough variety.

Zackcat I was so hoping when I saw your Friend Safari was water that you had a Milotic I could breed and trade for Xerneasses(Xernea?) but alas

On topic, this was about where I stopped playing as a kid, because it got to the point where I wasn't good enough to get the 750 points to continue, because I was am bad at video games.

Edit: THANK YOU SO MUCH ZACKCAT! I traded you a Pawniard and you gave me a Protean Froakie.

Yeah I have a bunch I just Wonder Trade off, I bred alot for a good Iv Modest one. Off to good homes.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:

Senerio posted:

I have to admit I played Tony Hawk's games way to much as a kid, and as a result, I am way to good at skating games now.

Also, you guys are nerds.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vifs posted:

I have to admit I played Tony Hawk's games way to much as a kid, and as a result, I am way to good at skating games now.

Also, you guys are nerds.

At least they haven't gotten pokemon tattoos on their arms yet.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Toffile posted:

At least they haven't gotten pokemon tattoos on their arms yet.

I've known Zackcat long enough, that I wouldn't be surprised.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vifs posted:

I've known Zackcat long enough, that I wouldn't be surprised.

Can't be any worse (or more :nws:) than the last time a goon got a Pokemon tattoo.

Edit: gently caress me, that's the joke Toffile was going for wasn't it. I'm dense.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Huh, for some reason I remembered this game being really good. Man this game really is terrible, even the gameplay seems dated and clunky to me after playing the Skate games for so long. I do like some of the levels though, Skatopia probably being my favorite of the bunch. Are you planning to show off classic mode as well? I remember enjoying that quite a bit more than the story. Also I have no idea how to read the loving thread. My bad dude, you posted the answer right on the first page.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 20, 2013

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Can't be any worse (or more :nws:) than the last time a goon got a Pokemon tattoo.

Edit: gently caress me, that's the joke Toffile was going for wasn't it. I'm dense.

All I can say is: loving Goons.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Huh, for some reason I remembered this game being really good. Man this game really is terrible, even the gameplay seems dated and clunky to me after playing the Skate games for so long. I do like some of the levels though, Skatopia probably being my favorite of the bunch. Are you planning to show off classic mode as well? I remember enjoying that quite a bit more than the story.

THUG2 was the last skating game I owned and the gameplay still seems dated and clunky.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You are all terrible people.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Are you planning to show off classic mode as well?

Vifs posted:

Anyways, sense we will be doing the classic/arcade missions next if anyone would like to guest please send me a PM or post in the thread with your skype info, but please make a more meaningful post than just: I would like to guest.

Vifs posted:

Edit: Some people have said that I have missed some things, but instead of doing what I did for boston, I will do everything when I go back for classic/arcade mode.

Vifs posted:

Yah I plan on going though classic mode after I finish the main story.

Vifs posted:

Also I will be going through classic mode too.
Do people read the thread?

Vifs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 20, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Vifs posted:

Do people read the thread?
No this thread is demonstrably filled with terrible people why would I read it?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Senerio posted:

And you were SO close...:ssh:

This level is probably the one I like the least in the game. It's sloped enough remind me of downhill levels, which are never fun in this engine, and there's several goals where it seems like physics work differently than the rest of the game for just that spot. Also, Bigfoot may look like he's easier than the other motor characters, it's just because he's slower. He is a pain in the dick by never wanting to stand still. That downhill jump of his is a perfect example of the first problem. You need to launch yourself over the house. Because of magic, this one hill can give you the height, but not the quarterpipes and whatnot on the cliff several stories higher. The ramp changes the camera angle to make it very difficult to steer straight, and stays far away, but if you look, it's obvious that there's a hidden boost spot there, not unlike say the warp doors in Barcelona, that just rocket you into the air. Actually a lot of the goals are difficult because they're hard to aim correctly on. Maybe the programmers were dicks and secretly made the dirt imperceptively uneven, I don't know. But I do know that half those goals shouldn't be as awkward and frustrating as they are.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Maybe I should record an update talking over one of the un edited version of one of the stages so you get a feeling how hard and frustrating some of these goals can be on sick.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Vifs posted:

Maybe I should record an update talking over one of the un edited version of one of the stages so you get a feeling how hard and frustrating some of these goals can be on sick.

I would genuinely be interested in this. It's been a while since I had a new "Bad Idea" type video to listen to when I need to focus on something else.

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended
So I decided to look up that Tony Hawk cartoon mentioned and it is atrocious, not even to the point of funny. Its got that weird uncanny valley look to all the people where they look like plastic blocks instead of human beings.

Also: 0318-7597-2572

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The animation for the cat leaving is kind of hilarious. The cat model is just slid to a corner.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

AnxiousSloth posted:

So I decided to look up that Tony Hawk cartoon mentioned and it is atrocious, not even to the point of funny. Its got that weird uncanny valley look to all the people where they look like plastic blocks instead of human beings.

Also: 0318-7597-2572

not valid.

Maybe vifs and I will do a video of us watching the cartoon. I haven't even asked him yet, I am just putting him on the spot now.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Zackcat posted:

not valid.

Maybe vifs and I will do a video of us watching the cartoon. I haven't even asked him yet, I am just putting him on the spot now.

Oh that would be a pretty sweet bonus video. Just you two cringing at a bad cartoon. Or two. Or the whole series.
Also, doesn't the friend code thing work when both people are online at the same time? I'm not sure.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

legendsuper posted:

Skatopia is actually a real skatepark. There's even a skateboard museum.

Judging from Google Earth the level's actually a pretty accurate recreation, but to somebody who doesn't know anything about it (like most players of the game, I imagine) it does look pretty darn underwhelming.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Glazius posted:

Judging from Google Earth the level's actually a pretty accurate recreation, but to somebody who doesn't know anything about it (like most players of the game, I imagine) it does look pretty darn underwhelming.

Again, the problem with translating real life skating into the THPS world, where you can gain forty feet of air off a halfpipe and stick six tricks before going back down. Skatopia is an excellent and wild skatepark provided you're working with real physics and not moon physics.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

Again, the problem with translating real life skating into the THPS world, where you can gain forty feet of air off a halfpipe and stick six tricks before going back down. Skatopia is an excellent and wild skatepark provided you're working with real physics and not moon physics.

Except Vifs didn't enable the Moon Physics cheat? :confused:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Redeye Flight posted:

Back in whichever game had it, the Burnside skate park in Portland looked pretty cool in-game and it looks just the same when I go by there IRL.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

Back in whichever game had it, the Burnside skate park in Portland looked pretty cool in-game and it looks just the same when I go by there IRL.

That would be the first game.

Marseille was a pretty great recreation, and so was Skaters Island.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

So I was playing around with face mapping some peoples avatars, and I noticed SpiderHyphenMan didn't have an avatar. So I face mapped his red text!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Vifs posted:

So I was playing around with face mapping some peoples avatars, and I noticed SpiderHyphenMan didn't have an avatar. So I face mapped his red text!

I get the feeling THUG2's gonna get the same treatment The You Testament did. Only, with more fuckery.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The red just makes it look like Steve carved that on his flesh himself.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ometeotl posted:

The red just makes it look like Steve carved that on his flesh himself.
So it is accurate to how I look!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was never a fan of this games soundtrack, aside from Johnny Cash.
Also: 2680-9056-7682

• Locked thread