Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is this game one where you could design your character, or did they decide it was cool to have you be a twerp in a Peter Pan hat?

That tutorial area just doesn't feel the same without Superman blasting out of the speakers, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

I remember THUG1 and this game having pretty good soundtracks. I remember really enjoying THPS 2's soundtrack when it first came out, but relistening to most of it has shown that it's gotten pretty dated. Not nearly as dated as the originally pro skater, though. Seriously, go listen to it. So much ska...

Ska is radical. :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Blue Ghost posted:

This level seemed to be a little strange in that it was mostly dirt instead of the pavement that we have been having up to this point. Does it effect the way that you skate (like slowing down)?

Zackcat you sound "enthusiastic" about Pokemon X and Y, what are your feelings on there only been 69(?) new Pokemon in X and Y?

I'm not Zack, but I've found it to actually work pretty well. The map is broken into three zones (central, coastal, mountain) and each zone has its own listing of 150-ish unique pokemon (I don't think any show up in multiple pokedexes even if you can see one on a trainer or something). The new ones are mixed in among these and the old ones are from all the generations so it doesn't feel like "Pokemon Black with a handful of new guys so they can claim it's different" (like B2/W2 did with "catch previous-gen pokemon before the postgame"). It also lets them add a lot more variety, so rather than an ice cave with about three guys you can see a lot of different ones (looking at my pokedex and gaps I'd say at least 8-10 different evolutionary lines in that cave). They've also taken some "endgame" guys (late-evolvers like various dragons and Golett/Golurk) and moved them to around the second gym, so you get guys to play with that usually don't see action since you have your team locked in by habit.

All-in-all it manages to feel fresh by the sheer number of different pokemon it lets you find before the postgame and straying from the standard "maybe 5 different pokemon before the first gym" tropes. You may have a bunch of similar-niche guys like Bidoof, Dunsparse, Zigzagoon and Bunnelby (starter-zone normal types who evolve early and don't get much special) but that means you actually get to pick which to use. Not a big choice but it's one you get to make and there's enough small differences to make it "interesting". I don't think it can be stressed enough that while old zones would have 5 different species the new ones can easily have 10 or more to find. I've gone through entire caves without fighting the same pokemon twice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

Again, the problem with translating real life skating into the THPS world, where you can gain forty feet of air off a halfpipe and stick six tricks before going back down. Skatopia is an excellent and wild skatepark provided you're working with real physics and not moon physics.

Back in whichever game had it, the Burnside skate park in Portland looked pretty cool in-game and it looks just the same when I go by there IRL.

• Locked thread