Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This game was the death of the Tony Hawk franchise. Where new features stopped being things you couldn't imagine having lived without and started being idiotic gimmicks. Where the juvenile humor because a crutch rather than an undercurrent. You can read all about it in my Master's Thesis, The Decline of a Juggernaut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Vifs posted:

Honestly when THUG2 came out, I didn't really mind the story that much cause I liked jackass back then, but now that I'm older I'm just kinda uhhhh about it. I guess as someone who tried to learn how to skateboard as a kid, THUG 1 just seemed like a more awesome story to me. Plus I played THUG 1 way more back when I was younger so I have a lot more nostalgia for it to overlook some of its crap.
As I said in my Master's Thesis, the story modes of THUG and THUG 2 represent the game philosophies quite well. The "message" of THUG's charmingly generic storyline is "It's not about the money, man! It's about the SKATING!" As such, the game makes skating easier than ever, with the ability to get off your board allowing you to more easily traverse the level terrain so you can line up some sweet tricks. There's also a more Zen philosophy to the game. Obviously Stacy Peralta shows this, but also there's the fact that the trick that the player character creates to demonstrate the Create-A-Trick feature is literally called "The Soul Skate"
Conversely, the story mode of THUG 2 is all about destruction and mayhem and gently caress the police. The gameplay is adjusted accordingly. Even beyond the goals, which are consistently about destroying objects that represent order and authority, you have the simple wallplant changed to a STICKER SLAP, because that's more EXTREME and REBELLIOUS, which is what skating is REALLY about, rather than expressing yourself through sweet tricks like it was in the last game.
THUG 2 represents the point that the philosophy of the entire series switches from a reverence of skateboarding to a "rebellion" against "THE SYSTEM" in a franchise that is released on every gaming system. It's essentially the sports video game equivalent of this:

Edit: I go to one of the most prestigious universities in the United States of America.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: Disregard, I just got up.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently someone is upset that I interfered with the famed Vifs/Zackcat dynamic.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What am I, chopped liverBob Burnquist?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Toffile posted:

Eric Sparrow.
Yeah, walked into that one.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I loving hate this level because when I was a kid I was like "Oh, awesome! Skatopia! Finally we can drop this destruction gimmick bullshit and just focus on landing sweet-rear end tricks in an awesome skate park!"

And then it was a farm or some poo poo.

I loving hate this game.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You are all terrible people.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Vifs posted:

Do people read the thread?
No this thread is demonstrably filled with terrible people why would I read it?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ometeotl posted:

The red just makes it look like Steve carved that on his flesh himself.
So it is accurate to how I look!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ometeotl posted:

Where was I just linked to and why do I feel the need to bathe my laptop in acid to clean it?
You were linked to somethingsensitive, a place that, aside from their recent ousting of Aatrek as a literal child molester, is nothing but impotent thrashing of people who yearn for the days where you could call people "human being" on SA outside of FYAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That's okay though because THUG 1's story mode was not intolerable.

• Locked thread