Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man, I have no idea why, but I think I've played this game more than THUG1 by a large margin, and spent the whole time wondering why it wasn't as good. The controls are indeed tighter, and the levels are bigger, but that's about all it has going for it.

After you're done with story mode, will you be doing classic mode too? I would hope so, considering it's pretty much a whole separate game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

See, I don't see it as an alternate reality at all. Steve and Eric (and Pauley I guess? ) are pros, just like the rest of the team. If you ignore the tutorial level, it totally still works in my mind.

Sidenote: Has Tony Hawk ever not sounded like he was phoning it in when doing voice work?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Though I know Bob Burnquist is going to win, I'm voting for good ol Mike V!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Vifs posted:

Yah the cannons are more of an easter egg than a goal. Also we picked up on Star Wars Kid, but it was funnier, to me, to make fun of Zackcat.

Doesn't the other window across from the star wars kid have the goat fucker that's been hidden in the game since, what? THPS3?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Not all gaps? 0/5, will not read.

Speaking of, I love how the 100% gaps victory message in THUG1 pretty much blatantly accuses you of using gamefaqs to find them all.

As far as the goat guy, in most of the games he's usually standing immediately behind the goat, and is super stoked about it. In THPS3 you can find him behind a house in the suburbs. In THPS4 he's hiding behind the midway at the carnival, in THUG1 he's behind the UFO shaped strip club in Miami. We showed where he is here, and I remember in THAW, he's in a secret hotel room in Hollywood several stories up, with the goat on the bed. I can't speak for any of the other Tony Hawk games.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The only thing I ever liked about this stage is "My bull is Rad! YEAh!!" From Steve-O, as it was the closest thing in the game to a VO actually trying to sound enthusiastic. I do honestly love the next stage though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Warmal posted:

For some reason, the more I watch this, and the more I think about it. I wonder if we'll ever get a really good Tony Hawk game again. I remember enjoying American Wasteland, but now I think that may just have been from being a dumb kid. THUG was great, and I really enjoy the Pro Skater series, but from what I can tell we haven't had a good one for a long time.

I dunno, I actually thought THAW was actually a little better than THUG2. Not as good as THUG1 by a long shot, mind you, but it felt like Neversoft still had their head in the game. I only later played a little bit of project 8, and it just seemed totally phoned in by that point. THAW on the other hand just felt rushed out the door, while still having good ideas and intentions visible. The fully open world mostly works, and a lot of the level design is fun, and the straight-out-of-the-80s "youths saving their hangout from greedy bankers" plot (appropriate considering how much else in the game seems to be a tribute to old school 80's skate culture) actually works in my opinion.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

well I'm not saying it's a "classic" or anything, just that it's not quite as bad as a lot of people like to think. It seems like it had some good ideas it wanted to go with, that got rushed out before they could make it a great game--like for instance a lot of the levels are kind of "too" large, with lots to skate off of, but not as much to actually do. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure there's less pedestrians in THAW than in say, THPS4, despite having much larger levels. Between the bad will of THUG2, and the feel of THAW being about 80% finished I think made it so that by the time THP8 rolled around, nobody was enthusiastic about the series anymore.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Vifs posted:

Edit: Some people have said that I have missed some things, but instead of doing what I did for boston, I will do everything when I go back for classic/arcade mode.

Well, it's tiny, and pointless so I won't even bother with spoiler tags, but if you talk to that Cut Chemist guy (who's apparently a real life guy? ) in the Discotheque he'll crank up the volume, and crack all the glass in the building, making it breakable. Accomplishes nothing. Maybe a gap or two?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That beach area is what kept me from truly liking this level. The next one's pretty fun though. The last one's shape can eat a dick.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

SourceElement posted:

Here's a little known fact about Jimmy Big-Wheels. He's voiced by Keith David and moonlights as a Disney villain. He would also like to state he has friends on the other side.

He also spent some time fighting James Bond in 1973!

Also, this level is another one with lots of true-to-life details, such as the bawdy neon signs.

Also also, I'm pretty sure that if you added "is Spider-Man in real life" to Chad Muska's wiki, he'd have no desire to correct you.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Doesn't when you get 100% gaps in THUG1, it actually accuse you of cheating at the game?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Senerio posted:

On topic, this was about where I stopped playing as a kid, because it got to the point where I wasn't good enough to get the 750 points to continue, because I was am bad at video games.

And you were SO close...:ssh:

This level is probably the one I like the least in the game. It's sloped enough remind me of downhill levels, which are never fun in this engine, and there's several goals where it seems like physics work differently than the rest of the game for just that spot. Also, Bigfoot may look like he's easier than the other motor characters, it's just because he's slower. He is a pain in the dick by never wanting to stand still. That downhill jump of his is a perfect example of the first problem. You need to launch yourself over the house. Because of magic, this one hill can give you the height, but not the quarterpipes and whatnot on the cliff several stories higher. The ramp changes the camera angle to make it very difficult to steer straight, and stays far away, but if you look, it's obvious that there's a hidden boost spot there, not unlike say the warp doors in Barcelona, that just rocket you into the air. Actually a lot of the goals are difficult because they're hard to aim correctly on. Maybe the programmers were dicks and secretly made the dirt imperceptively uneven, I don't know. But I do know that half those goals shouldn't be as awkward and frustrating as they are.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well the free run portion isn't QUITE that simple. You have one on-foot timer for your whole combo. It doesn't refresh when you get back on your board and keep the combo going. Like say you have 5 seconds of run time on your stat. You do a flip trick and caveman out into running for two seconds then jump into a grind, then caveman again. Now you only have 3 seconds starting on the meter.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Man, gently caress all y'all Airport haters.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

FYI the fire alarms are square because they're not smoke detectors, they're those clunky red lever things you pull at school to tell everyone there's a fire.

I think the space level's in THPS2, but I really didn't start playing the games til 3, and stopped after THAW, which incidentally hadabsurd level breaking holes you could find to go "behind" the walls like the screen here, only they fill the whole level.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So I'm going to assume that the servers for THUG2 are no longer operating. This fact is disappointing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I always loved the hell out of the airport level, both in THPS3 and here. My high scoring usually depended more on grinds than on halfpipes. A great spot in the level to get your high score is in that little cul de sac below the helipad. even at top speed you can't quite make it to the top of the escalators grinding, but then you'll slide back down. If you're on the outside rails, you don't even have to aim your jump, and you'll automatically hit that curved guard rail, and you can ride that and jump to the other side's outside rail. This bumps your mulitplier up a lot faster than if you just ram on the buttons while doing one of the circular grinds, such as the luggage turnstyle or the couches.

Also,

vifs posted:

I mostly just think about donuts

Comes as a surprise to nobody at this point I believe.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Frankly, that was less a jab at your body and more a jab at your mind mr. "I have never in my life experienced any pop culture or media older than than 2010". But you know I love you baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

New Orleans, to get it out of the way.

And there's no such thing as good anime.

Seconded, on both counts.

• Locked thread