Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

surc posted:

You are totally right. I was using Yosemite in an attempt to over-estimate, but I was basing this off park entrance fees, not the actual cost of booking camping. I was surprised it was that low, but who am I to argue with math? :v:

Yeah, I doubt I'll be driving 3000 miles in a month on any sort of consistent basis, but it's conceivable I'll want to get across the country some months, so it's in there. I did 3500 miles in two weeks with some friends for a road trip years back, and ever since I have been all about the pleasure of leisurely journeys.

Hello. It is totally possible to use your words to form a complete thought, instead of weird passive aggressive criticisms! Please keep this in mind in the future.

In answer to your implied whatever: I know how to work on the bus myself (I've had it for years, I'd better know how), I have up-front costs for replacement parts on the bus in areas that are most critical/most likely to go out---gently caress you, clutch cable---, and I have a 'poo poo happens' monthly budget item which will be $100 that gets put away for poo poo happening if it's not used immediately to handle poo poo happening. poo poo happening is basically likely to be unexpected "stay alive" costs, or unexepected "fix the bus because it broke in this elaborate way" costs. All of these things are mentioned in previous posts, along with me already having a socket set, which is about 90% of the tools I will need to work on my bus.

If you'd care to actually contribute a full sentence, I would appreciate you telling me what you'd budget in there for repairs that I have not, because I have not taken into account everything that will happen to me and if you have some experience or advice, I would like to hear it!

You should probably make a thread because this is a bit more in depth than a general discussion of RV/van living as an FI option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

tuyop posted:

You should probably make a thread because this is a bit more in depth than a general discussion of RV/van living as an FI option.

Do it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My main question - how are you going to meet people/who are you going to be spending time with?

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
It's a pretty good idea and I think you actually have things pretty well thought out except for your choice of vehicle. From a maintenance perspective if you're familiar with old vws and have a cheap parts source thats great. The issues vw's have beyond maintenance and parts is that they just aren't great for serious living. All the windows ruin privacy, insulation, and interior customization options and the actual interior itself is tiny. I wouldn't even consider moving into a van short of something like a ford e series which are also far more reliable and cheaper than vw buses.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

OldHansMoleman posted:

It's a pretty good idea and I think you actually have things pretty well thought out except for your choice of vehicle. From a maintenance perspective if you're familiar with old vws and have a cheap parts source thats great. The issues vw's have beyond maintenance and parts is that they just aren't great for serious living. All the windows ruin privacy, insulation, and interior customization options and the actual interior itself is tiny. I wouldn't even consider moving into a van short of something like a ford e series which are also far more reliable and cheaper than vw buses.

Personally I'd live in one of those propane powered short buses and go hog wild tearing out the inside and chucking a loft and office in there or something. It's still an excellent challenge to live in ~80 sq feet. But it makes some sense over the VW van to me, since I don't know how to fix or own either.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You have the equivalent of half of a tune up, one oil change, and a clutch cable problem paid for. Just because your car won't have problems every month doesn't mean that it might not have big expenses from time to time. Do you have the $150 AAA plan in case you need to have your car towed a long distance?

For a modern, far more reliable car, I figure $1000/year in repairs/tires/etc. You've got a totally unrealistic budget for gas - far too much - and a totally unrealistic budget for repairs.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
MMM's recent article has an actual, acknowledged sockpuppet in it.

quote:

First of all, let me admit that the above person is somewhat fabricated. I find letters like this waiting for me every morning when I wake up, and so many of them follow the same general pattern that I figured we could create a great lesson by combining some of the best details into one composite letter. And that lesson is the one right there in the title:

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Inverse Icarus posted:

MMM's recent article has an actual, acknowledged sockpuppet in it.

What a weird life he has. Strangers email him with their secret finances, and he's trusted and expected to give them advice. I bet he feels like a specialized Dear Abby, instead of the happiness philosopher he'd like to be. Kind of a step down. I don't blame him for his last line - I'd resent an obligation to answer the same question every day, too.

I bet we're less than a year away from him ending the blog, if his major interaction with it is a feeling of obligation to repeat himself to strangers. Yuck.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Mofabio posted:

I bet he feels like a specialized Dear Abby, instead of the happiness philosopher he'd like to be.
But if he could learn to live on beans and rice, then he wouldn't have to cater to the king.

Wait.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SpelledBackwards posted:

But if he could learn to live on beans and rice, then he wouldn't have to cater to the king.

Wait.

I've found his article on Stoicism. I couldn't be bothered reading it. His articles are like beans and rice now.

I do wonder how many of his followers are like religious zealots that don't even follow his financial advice at all?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Devian666 posted:

I do wonder how many of his followers are like religious zealots that don't even follow his financial advice at all?

I'm having trouble finding it, but there's a British documentary online somewhere about people who shell out hundreds or even thousands of pounds every year attending various financial seminars about saving, early retirement, etc. It's very :psyduck:

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPARaL3F498

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 3, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm having trouble finding it, but there's a British documentary online somewhere about people who shell out hundreds or even thousands of pounds every year attending various financial seminars about saving, early retirement, etc. It's very :psyduck:

I linked that one when I was going through a lot of financial documentaries on youtube. Robert Kiyosaki was one of the guys ripping them off. Some of them were paying for the seminars with credit cards and they were carrying a balance.

The MMM link http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/02/what-is-stoicism-and-how-can-it-turn-your-life-to-solid-gold/

It's on the featured article rotation and it's really old October 2011. I only noted it because I'd never read it before.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 3, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
It's the younger ones like those teenagers that surprise me. Haven't they heard of the internet? I find it really unexpected that their first resort is going to a seminar in persona and spending thousands to get mentors.

I recognize a bit of the same bug in myself; I keep reading financial blogs when, at this point, none of them are going to change my plans or budget. At best I might rejigger my investments for tax-efficiency at some point, and I do want to keep up on any changes in the law, but past that I'm just wasting my time. At least I'm not spending hundreds on books or thousands on seminars, only time better spent playing the video games I keep hoarding.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 3, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The teenagers were fools, but that's not unusual. It only took a few questions for their teenage plans to fall apart.

It's pretty easy to get in a habit of analysing everything. I've done that a lot since I started making a lot of financial changes. At this point I've squeezed every last dollar out. This week I did a calculation to figure out what I should be investing and how much to hit 15%. I found out that it doesn't take much to meet that minimum target and I'll likely blow right past that (excluding the massive mortgage repayments I've been making).

So I've starting focusing on the stuff I want to do with the money I'm underspending. There was a bit of VJ software I backed on kickstarter. They're holding their release party in Paris so I've decided I'm going to that in December. In the past I've missed out on cool stuff like that due to lack of time or unwillingness to spend money. It's still within budget while saving 40-50% of net income.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pig slut lisa posted:

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPARaL3F498

I was constantly cringing throughout this one. I'm going to start my own seminar where I do all the motivational speaking and then give them the super secret formula of spending less than you earn and investing the rest, but wrapping it up in mystical thought processes. Basically, delude people into believing the right thing for the wrong reason because they're too hosed up to recognize simple truths.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
In the end all societies have their own brainwashing. If you brainwashing people to do the right things to look after themselves financially, that's a lot better than a lot of these motivational speakers farming poor people for money with no benefit.

Unfortunately most of societies brain washing comes in the form of family, friends, tv shows and bank advertisements.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Should start an expensive seminar around the one weird trick of not spending thousands on expensive seminars.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Desuwa posted:

Should start an expensive seminar around the one weird trick of not spending thousands on expensive seminars.

Esteemed gentleman,
I am a deposed crown prince of Nigeria, and I heard about your seminar which sounds essential to preserving my family's wealth until we can transfer it out of the country in secrecy. Please advice to sign up and prepay for you services.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I don't ride my by anywhere, really, but I've always been a light driver. It's probably the best benefit of being able to work from home so much.

Last week I finally hit 100,000 miles on my 1999 Honda Accord. I shared a picture on Facebook, because that's a thing kids do these days.

I was bombarded with people asking how that was remotely possible, with people saying they have that much on their car in half the time, and one guy who said he believes I somehow rolled it over and actually drove 1,100,000 miles.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Inverse Icarus posted:

I don't ride my by anywhere, really, but I've always been a light driver. It's probably the best benefit of being able to work from home so much.

Last week I finally hit 100,000 miles on my 1999 Honda Accord. I shared a picture on Facebook, because that's a thing kids do these days.

I was bombarded with people asking how that was remotely possible, with people saying they have that much on their car in half the time, and one guy who said he believes I somehow rolled it over and actually drove 1,100,000 miles.

I recently missed the opportunity to take a picture of my odometer at 69,420 miles. With how little I drive, I don't think I'm going to hit 80,085 til like October 2016. If I churned through cars like some people I know, I'd see the funny numbers a lot more frequently :sigh:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I mean, to be fair, my 1999 Honda Civic had 230,000 miles on it when I donated it two months ago. Only 100,000 is impressively low miles!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My old '99 accord (now my brother's) was at about 190,000 and going strong two weeks ago when it got totaled by a flood. :(

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Inverse Icarus posted:

one guy who said he believes I somehow rolled it over and actually drove 1,100,000 miles.

I am laughing way to hard at this.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My 2008 civic has maybe 55k miles. I essentially bought it to move 6 hours away to my first job after college, so in retrospect I didn't really need a car but it seemed the grown up thing to do. I lived like half a mile from work at the time too. Forgive me BFC for I have sinned.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I drive my car lots. I love long road trips and I think it's a cool way to experience the world. We've slowed down as our careers pick up though, and our 2010 Mazda 3 has 180 000km on it now. :ohdear:

I mean, that's trips like from Halifax to Acapulco, Halifax to the Grand Canyon, and Halifax to Edmonton and some smaller trips like Edmonton to Vancouver Island and lots of other stuff. And like Fredericton to Halifax every weekend for a year or two.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I have a '97 Civic with 285,000 miles on it. Last big road trip was driving from SE Alaska to New York via SLC, 4600 miles solo in 11 days including my rest days. We own that vehicle outright and we love its guts, my wife and I have 0 plans to retire or replace it. Just replaced the clutch it came with, 600 bucks and good as new. We got 100k miles out of the old one, so this new one should hopefully last a comparable amount of miles. We are driving less in our current living situation, since we now live and work in a small town as opposed to putting 50 miles on the car every day.

On the Maddening Frugality front, I'm considering brewing my own beer for the purpose of saving money. I understand it can be pretty cheap and I don't have fancy tastes, plus I'm handy and have low expectations. There's several people at my work that homebrew, I think I'll ask them how to get started.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Uncle Enzo posted:

On the Maddening Frugality front, I'm considering brewing my own beer for the purpose of saving money. I understand it can be pretty cheap and I don't have fancy tastes, plus I'm handy and have low expectations. There's several people at my work that homebrew, I think I'll ask them how to get started.

I started brewing my own beer last summer, and I like it. I use Brewhouse Beer Kits, and it's not that hard. Takes about three total hours of work spanning three different sessions (fermenting #1, fermenting #2, and bottling).

My beer costs me less than half of what it would cost me at the liquor store. But I'm in Canada, so I think maybe my savings is higher due to the alcohol tax being so high here.

I like it because the more you drink, the more you save! :shepspends:

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

If you have access to homebrewers already, just do swapsies with something you make/have. I've found that as a bunch brewers are always eager to give out the goods - even sometimes just for the feedback.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008
When calculating how much I need in an emergency fund, should I include projected unemployment benefits? For example, my cost of living is ~$2500/mo and unemployment benefits in my state would pay ~$1500/mo for six months if I were ever laid off. So, its the difference between needing to save $6,000 or $15,000 to cover six months of living expenses. Since I rent my apartment, don't own a car and have health insurance with a low out of pocket maximum, my emergency fund is pretty much just for if I ever lose my job, in which case unemployment benefits kick in.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The emergency could be literally anything, or a combination of things, and unemployment doesn't pay out if they fire you for cause.

It doesn't have to involve loss of job either. Imagine your apartment burns down and you break your wrist jumping out the window. Insurance might pay out at some point but $15,000 would be really nice to have in the bank right then.

In the end it's up to your tolerance for risk. $6000 is pretty low though.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Sooo we had a discussion ITT a couple months back about how MMM could/should/shouldn't be more/less political. I was on the side of "should be more", and somebody - too lazy to check who - suggested I email him about it. Well, I finally did. I always thought it was amazing how popular he is, AND how deeply anarchist he is. And, because anarchism's so unpopular/"unserious"/un-talked-about, that he probably didn't even know it.

What do you guys think (about the email, or the anarchist critique of work in general)?

quote:

Subject: You might be an anarchist, and that's okay

First, thank you so much for blogging. I'm [in my late 20s], but just four years from leaving my [redacted] engineering job for a comfortable, $25k/yr retirement. I spend evenings and weekends inventing cool stuff to 3D print, and I can't wait to do it full time. Right now I'm working on a [redacted]... anyway, enough autobiography.

Back to the subject line. Have you ever thought it was weird that, despite people generally disliking their jobs, nobody in the media or government ever talk about it? I always thought it was weird-- there have gotta be votes there for the "My Job is Boring And/Or Sucks Party", right? The Republican view of work is: work harder and you'll get ahead! (as if we could ALL be the boss someday! who'd do all the work?). The Democratic view of work is: work harder, so we can tax you more, and then we'll cut a check to the poor. The socialist view is: form a union, then work harder, and you'll get a slightly bigger cut in order to buy more stuff.

There's really only one modern philosophy I've found that echoes Aristotle's old observation that "all paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind" - anarchism. Nobody on TV ever talks about anarchism, but that's fine, in a way: the isolation's allowed them to develop some pretty potent critiques. My Friday was dragging, and I was reading a little anarchist brochure called "The Mythology of Work", and I was struck by how much it reminded me of your blog. Lemme pull some quotes:

"Can we imagine a society in which the primary goal of our activity was to make the most of life, to explore its mysteries, rather than to amass wealth or outflank competition?... Festivals, feasts, philosophy, romance, creative pursuits, child-rearing, friendship, adventure—can we picture these as the center of life, rather than packed into our spare time?"

"In one survey, people of all walks of life were asked how much money they would need to live the life they wanted; from pauper to patrician, they all answered approximately double whatever their current income was. So not only is money costly to obtain, but, like any addictive drug, it’s less and less fulfilling!"

"But what exactly does [work] produce? Disposable chopsticks by the billion; laptops and cell phones that are obsolete within a couple years. Miles of waste dumps and tons upon tons of chlorofluorocarbons. Factories that will rust as soon as labor is cheaper elsewhere."

Can you imagine any politician saying that stuff? Anarchists also tend to hate debt almost as much as you do (but see it in terms of a systemic problem, not always a personal failing), more-or-less hate dumb bureaucracies, and think wars are pretty stupid, too.

If you want to read the full thing, it's here: http://cloudfront.crimethinc.com/work_extras/Mythology-of-Work-print.pdf

And here's another essay, from the 80's, that I think holds up pretty well: http://www.primitivism.com/abolition.htm

If you're like me, you probably associate anarchism with dumb teenagers and bomb-throwers. The cool thing about the internet, though, is we can now easily read what they say and decide what it means for ourselves. I always think it's fun - and a good way to calibrate my mind - to read my own thoughts echoed by others. I was kind of shocked to hear some of the echoes come from anarchists, but hey, who am I to judge? Anyway, I thought you'd like it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
What definition of anarchism are you using here? 'Anarchism' seems to mean a dozen different things across the internet.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The pamphlet reads like anarcho-communism.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

The pamphlet reads like anarcho-communism.

That's kind of what the archaic meansing on anarchy is. People living without a government because it just isn't needed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Devian666 posted:

That's kind of what the archaic meansing on anarchy is. People living without a government because it just isn't needed.

I don't know whether to chide you for being wrong or for trying to start a philosophical argument in this thread.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Cicero posted:

What definition of anarchism are you using here? 'Anarchism' seems to mean a dozen different things across the internet.

I confess I don't know the many factions of anarchism or the left in general, but it seems like there are a lot of people calling themselves anarchists who are making the same connections that MMM does (work boring/painful, work causes environmental destruction).

I'm actually pretty fresh down this rabbit hole, do you happen to know of any writers (anarchist or otherwise) who are anti-work? I bought crimethinc's "Work", which that pamphlet was advertising- but I kind of feel like crimethinc's aimed at a more, uh, youthful audience (not that there's anything wrong with that). edit: and I've read some David Graeber stuff. Utopia of Rules is a fantastic examination of bureaucracies, and why they suck, and why we form them anyway.

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 2, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

I don't know whether to chide you for being wrong or for trying to start a philosophical argument in this thread.

It's etymology not a philosophical argument. There's no point arguing about a definition that fell out of use 250-300 years ago.

Mofabio posted:

I confess I don't know the many factions of anarchism or the left in general, but it seems like there are a lot of people calling themselves anarchists who are making the same connections that MMM does (work boring/painful, work causes environmental destruction).

I'm actually pretty fresh down this rabbit hole, do you happen to know of any writers (anarchist or otherwise) who are anti-work? I bought crimethinc's "Work", which that pamphlet was advertising- but I kind of feel like crimethinc's aimed at a more, uh, youthful audience (not that there's anything wrong with that). edit: and I've read some David Graeber stuff. Utopia of Rules is a fantastic examination of bureaucracies, and why they suck, and why we form them anyway.

This is what interests me is what work is to most people versus economic definitions. Most of my work is dealing with bureaucracy rather than getting any design work done. I've found my work a lot less interesting because of this. So I'll have to have a look at the Utopia of Rules.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the potential changes to work in the future and what the impact will be. I don't think MMM can see beyond his own "retirement" and it shows in his articles.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 2, 2015

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Devian666 posted:

This is what interests me is what work is to most people versus economic definitions. Most of my work is dealing with bureaucracy rather than getting any design work done. I've found my work a lot less interesting because of this. So I'll have to have a look at the Utopia of Rules.

It's funny, I've twice automated my job with excel spreadsheets, including my current one. Each time, my boss gets wind, and I get more paperwork to do. Bureaucracy fills the gaps that automation creates.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Mofabio posted:

It's funny, I've twice automated my job with excel spreadsheets, including my current one. Each time, my boss gets wind, and I get more paperwork to do. Bureaucracy fills the gaps that automation creates.

The benefits of efficiency and increased productivity. Whether the paperwork has a use or not there's latent work waiting to happen.

I think about the work I do and the simulations we used to run were very simple and the computers were really slow. The same computer models I used to run over 4 hours now take 30 seconds to run with the computers we have. Now we're expected to run more realistic fluid dynamics models which can take days or weeks. Sometimes we're better off with the data other times not so much. I'm sure the electricity used is saving large amounts of materials, labour and energy in construction. Not sure if we're any better off in terms of safety but the cost of construction is down. Unfortunately the government made a large regulatory mistake increasing compliance costs for no benefits. That's led to the conflict which ended up getting quite a number of people fired. It's a constant ebb and flow of stupidity and inefficiency. The thing is every move the local government makes has they spiraling towards being closed down and their functions privatised. It's interesting to see people working so hard towards making their own jobs disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Devian666 posted:

The benefits of efficiency and increased productivity. Whether the paperwork has a use or not there's latent work waiting to happen.

I think about the work I do and the simulations we used to run were very simple and the computers were really slow. The same computer models I used to run over 4 hours now take 30 seconds to run with the computers we have. Now we're expected to run more realistic fluid dynamics models which can take days or weeks. Sometimes we're better off with the data other times not so much. I'm sure the electricity used is saving large amounts of materials, labour and energy in construction. Not sure if we're any better off in terms of safety but the cost of construction is down. Unfortunately the government made a large regulatory mistake increasing compliance costs for no benefits. That's led to the conflict which ended up getting quite a number of people fired. It's a constant ebb and flow of stupidity and inefficiency. The thing is every move the local government makes has they spiraling towards being closed down and their functions privatised. It's interesting to see people working so hard towards making their own jobs disappear.

Totally off-topic, but for a CFD novice, how much trouble can I get into running fine fine mesh DNS on OpenFOAM? Laminar flows of basically Newtonian fluids in small-scale mixers (interFoam)? Not a programmer, not a meshing expert, I basically wanna know if I'm wasting my time or not. I'm trying to determine delta-P and mixing efficiency (worst case, because no diffusion). edit: assuming you do CFD, but I realize it might be piping networks.

edit also: I know what you mean about certain regs. Not a republican, but I work in a GMP pharma plant, and the regulations are ridiculous: it takes 2 months of paperwork and 15 signatures to add printer paper to certain validated printers. Not even kidding. There's so drat much bureaucratic fat to trim if we went to a less-than-40-hour workweek, and that's not even getting into the corporate bureaucracy of performance evaluations, HR, et al.

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 3, 2015