Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Folly posted:

On an unrelated note, did you guys know that craigslist has a building materials section? I tore out the smelly, cat-stained carpet in my basement (previous owner) and replaced it with rubber-backed carpet tiles for $0.30 per sqft. This will last until I decide on a permanent solution, and give me time to hunt for a bargain. And if the kids stain any of them, I just toss it out and lay down a new one. Bottom line, it feels like I just added a usable floor to my house for $250.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea, thanks! A friend of mine is very handy and likes to help me with projects around the house when he comes to town... we put in my stone patio, put up new gutters, and a few other things. Now we're looking at putting an arbor, a patio retaining wall, and new indoor flooring, and this might be just the thing we need. For anyone else who's curious, the category is For Sale > Materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

In the game Borderlands 2, one of the guns you can get (The Morningstar) will chide you whenever you reload, kill someone, get a critical hit, or swap weapons. A few things it will say, all suddenly relevant to this thread:
"There are children on Promethea who can't afford ammo, you know!"
"You don't talk to your parents as often as you should."
"By not donating to charity, you indirectly murder thousands of people every day!"

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

And make sure you don't have any optional services like overdraft protection which would autodraft from your savings to fund a large debit/check transaction intended to clear you out. I guess ideally it would be best to maintain that savings account in a separate bank or credit union where you don't even have a checking account, but I probably wouldn't go through the hassle.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wells Fargo's version of overdraft protection is pulling the balance from your savings or credit account instead, AND giving you a $25 fee. A slight discount from the typical $35 overdraft fee. Thanks!

When that law passed ~years ago that forced overdraft protection to be optional, WF sent out letters saying "Make sure your transactions don't get declined" as a cute, vaguely threatening euphemism for "stay enrolled in our overdraft protection".

Yeah, I remember getting a mailing from some bank with very similar wording. It's like paying Ticketmaster for convenience fees. I shudder to think how inconvenient my online ticket purchase might've been otherwise, because clearly they took the trouble to save me some hassle, based on that fee's title. :allears:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

God, this threads and the Newbie Personal Finance one remind me that
1) I'm single, and haven't had a lot of luck in the dating world
2) Maximizing savings is of course way easier with two income earners and reduced joint expenditure (housing/utilities/food), especially early on for the best compounding interest benefits
3) Whomever I do eventually find, I may have to convince them to get under the same financial goals. Luckily, the MMM article linked above about savings rates graphs and years off working also had a link to an article about convincing your spouse to follow the same path (haven't read it yet though).

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

balancedbias posted:

From a few posts up...The last quote you gave is the most useful one, because it easily allows for the notion that his philosophy is good for some and not for others. I know a mechanic who tried to make that system work, felt "burnt out" trying to optimize his "empire" of grease monkeys under his thumb, and finally felt more satisfied when he scrapped 4 businesses and worked as a mechanic for someone else.

He had the acumen, the motivation, and finances were no longer an issue...but he didn't enjoy any of it until he was doing what he had been doing in the first place. Maybe his interest waned, but I found it interesting that the burnout was from doing things the "successful" way. All quote marks are from how he described it to me, in as sarcastic a tone as it seems.

Sounds a bit like the story of the fisherman and the businessman, although I can't remember if it's also in the four hour workweek or if I heard it again more recently somewhere else.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Minty Swagger posted:

I'm finally listening to these, good stuff. I was bummed his tax avoidance podcasts are kind of top level (would prefer some real life examples as a business owned AND as an employee) but overall I enjoy it. Are there other podcasts I should follow if I like this one?

I've been listening to it for the last few weeks as well and I am really enjoying it, too, except for when he or his guests crank the religion mentions up. I haven't really been into podcasts since 7-8 years ago, so it's weird for this to be a fixation again. I'm even thinking about signing up for his membership program just for the entertainment value even if it is bad with money, and especially because of his final answer to the final question of the Episode 118 Q&A regarding gifting money to a nephew. It's really amazing.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Mofabio posted:

Also, I like how people think that ALL life has to offer is toys, meanwhile the best hours of their days in the healthiest years of their lives are spent taking orders from management.

At the same time, I think a lot of FI people oversell travel as the way to live and spend your time. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy going new places and I have been fortunate enough to backpack in Europe and visit family in India many times, among other wonderful trips with my family and friends seeing other places and cultures. But the thing I love even more than going somewhere new is finally coming home to a familiar dog, shower, bed, and kitchen.

Maybe it's just me, but there's a lot to be said for local leisure with your family and close friends too, and of course it's often much cheaper to have a backyard cookout or movie night at a friend's house very frequently than take lots of short trips (for example). In many cases at least these will still be pleasurable moments you look back on later in life and they didn't require you to go somewhere far.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Knyteguy posted:

My boss has pulled in $350,000 a couple years as a consultant, and of course less than that other years, and he definitely doesn't have much. Constant expensive lunches, luxury vehicles (Mercedes M SUV), RVs, a house maid, an investment house that has been losing money every month for 2 years, etc. I imagine it goes quick.

I have a house maid. It's a friend from college who likes to clean on the side for cash, and my outlay for her per year is a lot more than obviously if I cleaned for myself, but 1/3 to 1/2 of getting a professional service to do it (and it's well under the annual federal requirement for calling myself an employer of a domestic worker), and since I know her I trust her with my stuff more than a stranger with a service. Bad with money, good with leisure/stress.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

The assertion that most people are ill-informed on everything and the best people are still ill-informed on many things is pretty true though. I don't like the solution of "just don't vote" though because then the agenda of the rich and powerful runs completely unchecked.

But I'm in this thread because I hope to be among the rich and powerful at some point. :ohdear:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't think anyone can truly say their jobs are 100% secure

Maybe a riot cop in Greece?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Knyteguy posted:

I kind of thought the website was about Lord of the Rings. Hobbits are probably pretty good with money ya know.

Shoes are for humans, elves, and dwarves, and maybe also orcs. Bare feet and financial freedom are for hobbits.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I like the idea that, being 30 note, my current savings rate says I could retire completely by 40-42 with no raises and no appreciable jump in cost of living.

The problem is that it also assumes a reasonably positive market, no major major home repairs or car replacement, and no wife & kids. Then again, nothing really to report on the last part anyway.

But hopefully real raises will offset any or all of those possibilities anyway. If not, there's always hope for winning the lottery. Gotta play pay to win!

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

bang on the average spouse

:heysexy:

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 14, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

TLG James posted:

A ridiculous part of the population still believes that if you make more money and you get into a new tax bracket, you lose more.

That and combined with... CHECK OUT MY MASSIVE TAX REFUNNDDDDD.

That said, there are deduction/avoidance/benefits phaseouts for various items as you go up beyond specific earnings ceilings, e.g. the main "poverty line", saver's credit, traditional IRA deduction, Roth IRA contribution capability, or becoming a highly compensated employee in your company. There are ways to mitigate many of them, but sometimes that means getting more creative.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I generally like my company and its management, but I rolled my eyes so goddman hard when for a short period in 2009, the upper management of the company took a temporary 10% salary cut while the rest of the company (at least in the U.S.) took a 5% cut. Since most of upper management's compensation is in non-salary bonuses and stock, I can't really applaud them for demonstrating great leadership -- our CEO followed in the footsteps of prominent tech people like Steve Jobs, et. al., and went down to a $1 salary a year or two before that.

So brave of you, sir, to sacrifice that $0.10 of earnings.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

The true goal of achieving financial independence is to free yourself of the need to work so that you can spend all goddamn day arguing online about nature vs. nuture.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Mofabio posted:

I bet he feels like a specialized Dear Abby, instead of the happiness philosopher he'd like to be.
But if he could learn to live on beans and rice, then he wouldn't have to cater to the king.

Wait.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Desuwa posted:

Should start an expensive seminar around the one weird trick of not spending thousands on expensive seminars.

Esteemed gentleman,
I am a deposed crown prince of Nigeria, and I heard about your seminar which sounds essential to preserving my family's wealth until we can transfer it out of the country in secrecy. Please advice to sign up and prepay for you services.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

My friend's coworker wanted to build a house without a kitchen for the opposite reason: he ate out for literally every meal and kept no leftovers and thus had no need for a fridge or pantry. Builder of course said it would be impossible to resell, and the customer never ended up going through with it.

That dude talking about his superior soylent and wine diet has achieved the true financial social interaction independence we've all dreamed of. I hope his coffee beans and tea leaves are also cruelty- and flavor-free.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 6, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

The Onion gets it.
http://www.theonion.com/article/groundbreaking-study-finds-gratification-can-be-de-51770

Groundbreaking Study Finds Gratification Can Be Deliberately Postponed

quote:

“We now have sound scientific evidence that suggests one can intentionally enjoy something at a point in time beyond this very moment"

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

You'll just need some massive wars to bring it all down. Stock up on ammo, canned goods, and gold now!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Whoops, Google paid a bunch of engineers working on self-driving cars too much, and they left because after some bonuses they really didn't need to work anymore:

One Reason Staffers Quit Google's Car Project? The Company Paid Them So Much

quote:

'F-you money' awarded to veteran team members boosted parent Alphabet’s R&D costs, prompting comment from the company's CFO
by Alistair Barr and Mark Bergen
February 13, 2017, 10:03 AM CST

For the past year, Google's car project has been a talent sieve, thanks to leadership changes, strategy doubts, new startup dreams and rivals luring self-driving technology experts. Another force pushing people out? Money. A lot of it.

Early staffers had an unusual compensation system that awarded supersized payouts based on the project's value. By late 2015, the numbers were so big that several veteran members didn't need the job security anymore, making them more open to other opportunities, according to people familiar with the situation. Two people called it "F-you money."

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 14, 2017

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Devian666 posted:

That's quite a lengthy read. My capital gains and income from investments are greatly exceeding GDP so I'm doing my part to increase inequality.

I hope you mean GDP per capita, otherwise no complaining about your retaining wall when you could be living in a space station instead.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

If only there were some way to know I was going to want a brand new truck 2 years after I got my last brand new truck. Better liquidate my account before those banksters drain it all away with their Ponzis and credit swap tricks and GET WHAT I'M OWED!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

gently caress, I don't have a ComSat Station yet!

Get with the times! We convert ordinary CCs into Orbital Command Centers now.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

I googled this and only came up with a professional baseball umpire corps.

Praise Be Unto Him Costco

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found that even when I was in my 20s, I liked my own bed, shower, and kitchen too much to ever enjoy a long-term travel lifestyle or too many trips in a single year (even if I were able to afford it and had the time off). Plus, I love dogs too much to not have one, and I can't just be abandoning them for 3 months at a time and place them with relatives or whatever to go overseas.

That's part of the reason I prioritized paying off my house, so I have a home base at all times with now reduced monthly associated expenses. Taxes, insurance, and maintenance of course are still ongoing factors. I still take the occasional trip, but it's on my terms and definitely never that long.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

In north Austin in a couple weeks, they're screening an indie film called "Playing with FIRE". They'll only show it with enough presale tickets, but it looks interesting enough:
https://www.playingwithfire.co/the-documentary

quote:

“Playing with Fire showcases a radical subculture known as FIRE, that embraces frugality and financial optimization to achieve financial independence. Follow one family’s journey to acquire the one thing that money can’t buy: a simpler — and happier — life.”

Seems like it's got content from or with MMM, Mad Fientist, Vicki Robin ("Your Money or Your Life"), and Paula Pant ("Afford Anything").

The Austin/Pflugerville showing needs about 20 more tickets to do its thing: https://new.tugg.com/events/playing-with-fire-1yzj

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

drat, that is really true about people's attitudes toward pension vs. self-driven savings, and it never occurred to me.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Epitope posted:

Broke, a penny saved is a penny earned. Save for a rainy day
Woke, live below your means to worry about money less
Bespoke, However for women the overwhelmingly most important trait is that the man must be culturally successful, or likely to become culturally successful.

Thankfully they didn't specify which culture, and there are so many to choose from where I am!

:freep: :gay: :nyoron: :wookie: :texas: :ice: :350: :witch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

but I've had a second job for years, first training as a long range recon patrols soldier*

*this one did come with an all expenses paid trip to Helmand so maybe not the best idea

And, now you know how to earn a free trip to The Hague as well!

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 30, 2021