Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.

A Man and his dog posted:

Well I had a long God drat day where I busted my rear end for 14 hours so I just posted. My bad!

Oh and if you aren't busy this weekend your restaurant is most likely poo poo.

My place isn't gonna be busy this weekend, mainly 'cuz we're closed Sat-Monday as the owner wants us to enjoy our holiday weekend. Must be poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Well I had a long God drat day where I busted my rear end for 14 hours so I just posted. My bad!

Haven't you been working at the same pizza joint for the last 10 years so you can do drugs and hang out on the beach? Not sure you're qualified to make that statement, champ.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Tell me more about how poo poo I am Mr. I Like My poo poo Job Because I Just Love Doing The Bare Minimum In Life.

Not gonna be busy this weekend, still gonna finish the month at 300k in food sales. 28% food cost too, gonna have some equipment money next quarter!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And hey good for you!

Sorry I try and bring positive reinforcement to the thread instead of God drat our lives suck because we work in the industry...

Also yeah I can't wait to make $1000 in 4 days.
Lmao it yeah it sucks.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
One time I went on a date with someone who decided to talk to me about my job and told me he had a reservation where I worked without realizing I worked there. His reaction when he found out was, "I guess I have I be nice to you if I want to keep my reservation! Haha."

His reservation was yesterday and he cancelled last minute after changing the time it was at twice. Then he made another reservation today during lunch. He came in with another woman, saw me, and got the most sheepish look on his face when he recognized me and realized every time he'd called the restaurant he'd been speaking to me.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you want to keep your reservation, you don't do it by jokingly insulting my professionalism and integrity (in the restaurant industry, ha) on a first date, you do it by not canceling it yourself at the last loving last minute.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
that is super awkward. Any kind of service to people who aren't "customers" is always kind of hosed up. I assume its a bit better if you're in the kitchen and can just send them a thing and be done with it, but being there in person is terrible. (not sure which end you're on) I hate waiting on people I know from outside the restaurant. I even try to make other people wait on my mother. I just don't want to give the bs and canned chipper to them, but if I try to be real it just throws me off my whole stride for the night, and also the whole tipping project is really weird when that happens.

In other news, we finally hired a third dinner server (its a 12 table restaurant). My boss has been dragging his feet about it for weeks, and I think he only realized it was an issue when I gave him and by extension his 6 month old baby my flu, because wtf, its not like I can call off when I'm sick, there's only one other server. New guy did great, he'd memorized about 80% of the menu, we gave him a run down of "here's the poo poo people are going to ask, if they ask something else come ask one of us" and he just hit the ground running. We were going to give him two deuces, but he ended up taking about 4 groups out on the patio, which is a thing that we haven't really been staffed for and the customers wanted, since we have about 5 tables out in a gorgeous rose garden. At the end of the night he was thrilled that we didn't do the bs "you should follow someone around for 3 days thing so you can learn to do the thing you've been doing for years". He asked smart questions and is the first person that I've taught to do our perfectly logical checkout system that hasn't looked at me like I was describing a form of witchcraft. Given our luck with third servers I fully expect him to get hit by a car next week.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

And hey good for you!

Sorry I try and bring positive reinforcement to the thread instead of God drat our lives suck because we work in the industry...

Also yeah I can't wait to make $1000 in 4 days.
Lmao it yeah it sucks.

Also yes, about 17.5 an hour (assuming 14 hours days) is awesome and great and totally worth what you're doing to your body.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Don't care. I'm happy.

JESUS Christ can no one just be content with what they are doing for a living?

Like if you don't like it get the gently caress out..

We run a business. We are busy. If you are not here to work please get the gently caress out..

Also ladies those dudes probably suck.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Don't care. I'm happy.

We run a business. We are busy. If you are not here to work please get the gently caress out..

seriously just stop posting and you'll be fine in life

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Don't care. I'm happy.

I'm prefectly happy owning a restaurant. Margins could be better but whatever, it will come with time and increased butts in the door.

Also you don't run a business. You're a server.

I'm also going to say 80% are perfectly happy being in this industry, not many of us bitch and moan and complain as often as the vocal minority with poo poo jobs in poo poo locations do.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
All good points. And you are 100% correct...

Let me piss off some HCs real quick though...

So, I've done over like $700 in sales for the day so far by 5 PM. I ask for a quick ten min cig break before dinner rush. HC angrily says no.

Ok. Let's go to the owner. He easily agrees and says yes go out and take your time....

Lmao Thanks! Not to mention by state law I'm suppose to get a break....

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

So, I've done over like $700 in sales for the day so far by 5 PM. I ask for a quick ten min cig break before dinner rush. HC angrily says no.

Ok. Let's go to the owner. He easily agrees and says yes go out and take your time....

700$ by 5pm is complete poo poo fyi

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That was just me. The shop was over 2-3k by then.

A Man and his dog fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 23, 2015

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I really want to probate you just from your return key. Do you have some kind of philosophical objection to writing actual paragraphs?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's okay.... All the cool people.... are using ellipses.... to separate thoughts.... nowadays....

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

That was just me. The shop was over 2-3k by then.

That's also poo poo, FYI. Yesterday was a slow day with only 239 covers, still did 9k in food sales, and 12k in beverage.

Also, gently caress smokers. You smell like rear end every hour on the hour, 10min out of every hour you're wasting my labor, you can't taste for poo poo.

Breaks are not mandatory, dunno where you heard that lie. Federal law doesn't require it, and neither do most states.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
I have absolutely no problem with anyone (esp servers) not being allowed smoke breaks while on the job in a restaurant. I say that as someone who until recently smoked half a pack to a pack a day for close to ten years. Get a loving nicotine patch or something if you need it to get through your shift.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pile of Kittens posted:

I really want to probate you just from your return key. Do you have some kind of philosophical objection to writing actual paragraphs?

You have to admit that he's got some sort of talent, I've never before encountered posts that so strongly evoke the feeling of "Brain attempting to crawl out of head to escape the sheer inanity" as his posts. Even FYAD and GBS at their worst don't manage it, it's sort of amazing. :v:

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Maybe he's some kind of conceptual poet. He fits the profile, at least.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

that is super awkward. Any kind of service to people who aren't "customers" is always kind of hosed up. I assume its a bit better if you're in the kitchen and can just send them a thing and be done with it, but being there in person is terrible. (not sure which end you're on) I hate waiting on people I know from outside the restaurant. I even try to make other people wait on my mother. I just don't want to give the bs and canned chipper to them, but if I try to be real it just throws me off my whole stride for the night, and also the whole tipping project is really weird when that happens.

I'm a host/cashier, but we're a pretty small place so you can see me on the floor no matter where you're seated, especially since I have to run around doing my job.

Fingers crossed for that third server of yours! It sucks when you have to wade through the pool of people can't get basic competency right. One of my hosts always half-asses the job, and when the manager asked why she was still unable to rearrange tables without getting confused (we're talking just switching "303" for "403" on OpenTable and vice-versa), the host actually answered, "Because I'm not focusing on the job." To her boss. While on the job.

Unfortunately, this same manager doesn't want to fire anyone.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Awwwww gently caress $100 short on the register last night. Now fingers are being pointed everywhere....

It wasn't loving me unless I gave change wrong somewhere through out a 7k crazy rear end loving day. 5 other people were using the register...

Well whatever the gently caress happened really chaps my rear end cause now only 2 people are allowed in the register.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Dimloep posted:

I'm the Receiving Agent for a conference center/hotel, and 55-60% of our business is from an insurance company, so we're dead enough this coming week that I don't need to be there at all. I definitely need a break before we get crushed by Wedding Season.

You fool!! every time you say it it comes earlier in the year :derp:

Weddings are $$$$$$ but anxious brides can be some grinder clientele, especially if they're from The Real America. [ASK] about The Olive Garden Party.

Tender Child Loins posted:

Maybe he's some kind of conceptual poet. He fits the profile, at least.

Food service and poetry? Hey, it could happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGphfXznoBs

(that dude lives on my block and he owns, btw. does poetry slams and everything. i loving love riverside/nortemexico austin.)

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 23, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Weddings are $$$$$$ but anxious brides can be some grinder clientele, especially if they're from The Real America. [ASK] about The Olive Garden Party.

I think I posted about the olive garden party before. But you know, I forgot all about it, and now you've reminded me. Probably don't bother coming to work, you're fired, etc. Rehire you tomorrow, tia.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Awwwww gently caress $100 short on the register last night. Now fingers are being pointed everywhere....

It wasn't loving me unless I gave change wrong somewhere through out a 7k crazy rear end loving day. 5 other people were using the register...

Well whatever the gently caress happened really chaps my rear end cause now only 2 people are allowed in the register.

:allears:
You are the gift that keeps on giving

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Probably don't bother coming to work, you're fired, etc. Rehire you tomorrow, tia.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

goodness posted:

:allears:
You are the gift that keeps on giving

It's like the clap, for my brain.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I think everyone should have a bottle of champagne for breakfast because reasons.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

I think everyone should have a bottle of champagne for breakfast because reasons.

I can support this

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Breaks are not mandatory, dunno where you heard that lie. Federal law doesn't require it, and neither do most states.

Federal law grants break times for workers under the age of 16. Therefore, :ms:

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 24, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Bullshit in NC you get a 15 minute break after every 4 hours you work..... The gently caress you think this is? China?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Bullshit in NC you get a 15 minute break after every 4 hours you work..... The gently caress you think this is? China?

"The North Carolina Wage and Hour Act (WHA) does not require mandatory rest breaks or meal breaks for employees 16 years of age or older. The WHA requires breaks only for youths under 16 years of age. Youths under 16 years of age have to be given at least a 30-minute break after 5 hours, and no break of less than 30 minutes shall be deemed to interrupt a continuous period of work. Again, there are no required rest breaks or meal breaks at all for employees 16 years of age or older."

:commissar:

Did you buy your account with mom's credit card?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao that's not how it was described to me but that's even more hilarious now.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
drat, I was off by a year.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Lmao that's not how it was described to me but that's even more hilarious now.

You should get out sooner rather than later

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm prefectly happy owning a restaurant. Margins could be better but whatever, it will come with time and increased butts in the door.

Also you don't run a business. You're a server.

I'm also going to say 80% are perfectly happy being in this industry, not many of us bitch and moan and complain as often as the vocal minority with poo poo jobs in poo poo locations do.

Most of us who were getting hosed had the common sense to get the heck out of the industry, too. :)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The gently caress you think this is? China?

Of course not, China makes things.

*drops a cambro of live hand grenades datelabeled "POLITICS" in blue tape and runs out of the thread*

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So now I'm on my way home from my first...I'm not sure what to call it, independent bar gig? Private birthday party at what was basically a small mansion, caterers were there too, and us four bar crew. I pretty much ran glasses and restocks (so barbacking, I guess) and locked down the Pimm's station/service bar when its main guy had to take a break to eat something or drive the hostess's fancy car to safeway because the caterers didn't have as many limes as we thought they would.

We had a fixed menu when it came to available spirits--tequila and Pimm's, pretty much.

So, given the nature of this industry, the question I find myself asking is...what's the best way to work this into my resumé?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Kimitsu posted:

I'm a host/cashier, but we're a pretty small place so you can see me on the floor no matter where you're seated, especially since I have to run around doing my job.

Fingers crossed for that third server of yours! It sucks when you have to wade through the pool of people can't get basic competency right. One of my hosts always half-asses the job, and when the manager asked why she was still unable to rearrange tables without getting confused (we're talking just switching "303" for "403" on OpenTable and vice-versa), the host actually answered, "Because I'm not focusing on the job." To her boss. While on the job.

Unfortunately, this same manager doesn't want to fire anyone.

Yeah I feel you on the small restaurant thing, we don't even have a server alley, and I think the most tables we've ever managed to tetris into the dining room was on valentines when it was all dueces and it was 15 and I maintain to this day years later it was way too crammed. Sometimes it sucks because on Saturdays we do need the extra staff but right at opening when there's only one or two tables in the dining room there's only so many places to stick people and you end up with a bit of a mass just sort of congregating.

I did prank the new guy a bit tonight, I really didn't think the table would take it as far as they did. They showed up early for their reservation, and ended up sitting with him instead of me because I had some call parties coming in, and they were kind of teasing me about how they weren't getting taken care of by me anymore, and I told them, "well, this is a rare opportunity, its this guys second night, so you get to pick on him a bit, don't do it too much since its his second night, but if you're feeling sassy you could ask him specific questions about things that aren't on the menu" . What I didn't realize was that they'd already had cocktails before the bottle of wine they had at the bar, and that they were very serious about needing to know if the lobster bisque was gluten free, (we do not have a lobster bisque except when we have to get rid of leftover lobster from NYE or whatever) and he got some shade from the kitchen about it. Thankfully he took it really well and had a great story about the busser he'd once sent to the restaurant down the block to borrow a bucket of steam who had actually started walking down the street with a bucket.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Willie Tomg posted:

Of course not, China makes things.

*drops a cambro of live hand grenades datelabeled "POLITICS" in blue tape and runs out of the thread*

hey dude, completely unrelated and I think someone else has said this before but you have a really enjoyable writing style and I would read the gently caress out a book if you wrote it

well that's all, bye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Liquid Communism posted:

Most of us who were getting hosed had the common sense to get the heck out of the industry, too. :)

Good call too!

• Locked thread