Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yeah.. I'm not really taking to NY so well, but I basically sit around in a cubicle and do excel and talk about wine and restaurants all day long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah.. I'm not really taking to NY so well, but I basically sit around in a cubicle and do excel and talk about wine and restaurants all day long.

What don't you like about it? I enjoy it when ever I go there but it never really struck me as "man I want to live here".

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Turkeybone posted:

Sign up for Tinder, Hinge, and CoffeeMeetsBagel and spend three minutes a day on each one

You'll get a good ROI

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
In addition, give me your job.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Eh.. I haven't made too many friends here yet, and my friends and people I care about are all in Boston or new Hampshire. Those places are a little more my pace.

I love my job though...though I know I could do a similar job for Sam Adams in Boston, or work for a winery or other bev company in MA or NH. Not to get all live journal but there was a failed thing in the past few months that made the transition extra cruddy.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Turkeybone posted:

Eh.. I haven't made too many friends here yet, and my friends and people I care about are all in Boston or new Hampshire. Those places are a little more my pace.

I love my job though...though I know I could do a similar job for Sam Adams in Boston, or work for a winery or other bev company in MA or NH. Not to get all live journal but there was a failed thing in the past few months that made the transition extra cruddy.

I have lived in enough cool, big name, 'exciting city' places in the world in my short time to have learned that nowhere in the world is worthwhile or inherently awesome without friends. you gotta get out and meet people man. and not just people, people you really like and enjoy spending time with.

you can be in new york, or paris, or berlin, or barcelona, or wherever - and the city is always going to seem really boring and unwelcoming if you don't have people to share it with.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thread has been a little dead of late!

what's the best mandoline you've ever used? mine is going out, and I want my next one to be on some next level poo poo

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

what's the best mandoline you've ever used? mine is going out, and I want my next one to be on some next level poo poo

My girlfriend bought me a shun for christmas and it's loving insane. Bar none the best mandoline I've ever used.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

mindphlux posted:

Well if they're like me they're too tired from getting their asses kicked during the busiest part of the year to post. Past two weeks have been good despite that though. Posted our busiest third shift and total day ever. Also got to fire my first employee ever, so that's cool I guess? Guy kept leaving his grill to try to help me make sandwiches and sell tickets, falling behind on his stuff and bumping into me and getting in my way. Told him to stay on his grill and focus on that and he didn't take the hint when I told him I was done arguing about it.

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe
Submitting my first ever special, nervous as hell about it. I have to make it, then the entire staff will stand around and critique it(assuming chef approves it in the first place).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Murkyhumor posted:

Submitting my first ever special, nervous as hell about it. I have to make it, then the entire staff will stand around and critique it(assuming chef approves it in the first place).

if they say it sucks, fix what's wrong and resubmit! failure isn't embarrassing, it's the only way to learn.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

Bron mandoline is a thing you never replace, but they're ~140 new. Any Japanese mandoline will do though.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

if they say it sucks, fix what's wrong and resubmit! failure isn't embarrassing, it's the only way to learn.

I absolutely loving hate it if I make something new and no one has anything negative to say about it. Even if it's just a personal preference thing (it could have used more heat!), give me something.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I went from a super-busy, super-corporate high-profile restaurant to a low-key casual place with ~*patio seating*~ and I'm thrilled, even though I didn't get to work today because of the rain. It's nice being able to wait tables in comfortable clothes (read: polo, shorts) instead of a tightly regulated uniform.

Also, waaaay more people pay cash.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I was hired as Exec ~3 months ago at a movie theater/120-seat bistro/event venue. A week after my boss told me there was no way I was getting a new oven (we have a 6-burner single oven), he was fired. My new 10-burner 2-oven range is being delivered tomorrow. Good trade.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Hey can I ask you guys a question? I have an interview coming up at a real, grown up hotel restaurant, like with chef coats and everything. Mostly in the past I've worked at low-rent local type places, with bib aprons and sneaking beers. Part of the interview is that they're gonna ask me to make an appetizer and entree, which I'm stressing the hell out about. What should I be looking to do? Like what am I trying to show them by making this meal?

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

That you're competent in the kitchen. It's not about what you make, it's about how you make it. Pick a couple simple things that fit whatever their theme is and show them that you're comfortable doing what you do.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

GigaFool posted:

That you're competent in the kitchen. It's not about what you make, it's about how you make it. Pick a couple simple things that fit whatever their theme is and show them that you're comfortable doing what you do.

This. With almost any job interview, they're not looking for output, they're looking for process - I'm assuming they'll be in the kitchen with you while you do it?

The end result is important, but they will teach you their recipes, they will teach you the techniques they want you to use, they want to know whether or not you understand how to make food.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. With almost any job interview, they're not looking for output, they're looking for process - I'm assuming they'll be in the kitchen with you while you do it?

The end result is important, but they will teach you their recipes, they will teach you the techniques they want you to use, they want to know whether or not you understand how to make food.

And minimize waste. Don't throw scraps out without checking if they have a compost / permanent stockpots going / a dish that uses trimmings from w/e.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Biggest thing most people look for when they run those types of interviews is: can you work clean, can you work organized. Make sure you're cleaning as you go, make sure you don't have piles of poo poo all over the place, make sure your mise is organized and you're not rushing to get something in a pot last minute before the rest of your poo poo burns, etc. Make food that is simple, that you're comfortable with, and make sure it's seasoned properly. If you can do all that, you're in.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Awesome y'all, thank you. Do you mind if I ask some dishes any of you chose for this kind of interview and why? It would help me feel a little less at-sea.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Little Blue Couch posted:

Awesome y'all, thank you. Do you mind if I ask some dishes any of you chose for this kind of interview and why? It would help me feel a little less at-sea.

something dead simple, but that shows some technique. really depends on what they have in the pantry and what you're comfortable cooking. just shooting off my hip but first thing that comes to my mind is - simple green salad with interesting components? (celery, segmented citrus, roasted garlic/nut dressing?) - and a pan roasted fish (crispy skin to show you can do it without loving up), and maybe cauliflower as a side - take a head and roast half of it and puree the other half, serve it together? that's something I feel confident I could throw together in 30-45 minutes and would be tasty and not have too many prep elements.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 16, 2014

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

"Cook what you know"is the best advice I've received and could give.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
crossposting from the chat thread..

I have the potential for a promotion to a Sous Chef spot in the future. Still at the fancy grocery store thing I've been doing for years now. But a new one is opening soon, and they need chefs. Rumor has it one of our current Sous' will become the new Exec at the new store, and he likes my work and knows I'm not a fuckup or slacker. So, good things. Assuming the rumors are true.

Only thing that sucks about it is, the store will be opening right around the time of my second weeks vacation being requested for. It's a big company though, they can manage without me then, especially with it being requested before I knew about the store even, much less applied for a position.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
While I was expecting a few changes moving to a red state, it turned my goddamned stomach to see so many people in fancy dress binge on fine food and drink off a special buffet line in celebration of Adolph Hitler's birthday. Today's service was a trial of liberal tolerance.

fuckin' texans, man

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
how was everyones easter? we did a little over 700 and everything went pretty well although I felt a little bad sweeping up my line and walking out the door past the dishwashers who had carts lined up about 50 feet deep piled high with dishes. not bad enough to stay and help though.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Thursday night at my place we got totally smashed, because we were closed friday. The rest of the weekend was a fair bit busier than usual, especially at lunch. And next friday will be another holiday in Aus, and I expect we're going to be hugely busy all day for that as well.

And during this, the head chef is on a week and a half holiday and I'm in charge, sort of. Excited and nervous.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 21, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Willie Tomg posted:

While I was expecting a few changes moving to a red state, it turned my goddamned stomach to see so many people in fancy dress binge on fine food and drink off a special buffet line in celebration of Adolph Hitler's birthday. Today's service was a trial of liberal tolerance.

fuckin' texans, man

Wait what? Please tell me you are being hyperbolic and they were actually celebrating Easter. Please.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I am clownishly earnest in all things except for this post and the post immediately before it.

They were, in fact, celebrating the international weed holiday in their Sunday best.

I mean, it is still Austin, so,

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I hate Marathon Weekend.

That is all.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.

Black August posted:

I hate Marathon Weekend.

That is all.

Seconded. What's worse is the chicago marathon literally runs through my street, so going to and from work is a pain in the rear end.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Easter was goddamn hilarious. We did 540 covers for brunch. 400 covers is a solid Friday night.

The printers were acting up. We had to take CC payments offline. There was a power outage. A kid pissed his pants all the way down the hallway to the bathroom. The GM had to change his shirt after he got splashed with gross water fixing something in the dishpit.

Honestly, by the end of brunch I was just praying for an earthquake.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Fine dining update: My first day was Easter. I got my rear end kicked but survived. It wasn't as busy as we thought we would be. 24 cancellations so we only had like 64, I think. My biggest problem was my knives don't see a lot of precise use so I hadn't sharpened them since January and I had to mince some greens without bruising them. And boy did I look like a moron with my dull knives and bruised chives.

My second day went a lot smoother until the very end, where my last guinea breast was a little undercooked because the chef started demonstrating how to let it rest and I didn't think to double check it for doneness. Mid service I cut into it and everyone around makes a big deal about it and sends me right to Second Guessing and Nervous Shaking Towne. It didn't help that when another cook grabbed the breast to heat it up for me, he overcooked it. It was a cascading problem and ended up holding up later courses and I felt completely to blame.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

There's little worse than walking by near the end of your first shift to see all the chefs and managers huddled at a corner table, muttering quietly. Everything today feels weirdly tense and unpleasant, and I can't wait to get this shift over with and get home. I swear to God I will NEVER work at a corporate restaurant again, they just don't seem to get that a corporate set up works for fast food, it doesn't work for the many-headed beast that is a restaurant, which demands instant reaction and change, not belabored bureaucratic slogs.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
Just applied to a new place, hopefully I get it. I'm so tired of my current job, 7 years was way too long to stay.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I feel that way about where I work, and I haven't quite been there 3 years (hire date is 9 June). I need to see just how much of a pay cut I can actually afford, and maybe just get a prep cook gig somewhere. Getting real sick of having to break away from a plate-up to make burgers and pizzas, and dealing with our first-day-every-day server who just this week almost took a burger without the fuckin' pattie on the plate :bang:

But I finally get to use my vacation as a vacation and not just to survive a slow month. I lost 32 hrs last year, no way was I gonna lose 80 this year. I'm gonna read by the pool and go to parks and play with my puppyniece and it's gonna be awesome!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Willie Tomg posted:

I am clownishly earnest in all things except for this post and the post immediately before it.

They were, in fact, celebrating the international weed holiday in their Sunday best.

I mean, it is still Austin, so,

Bitching about Texas while being in Austin is like bitching about how rural Upstate New York is from Brooklyn, man.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I've almost entirely divorced myself from restaurants via working for a corporate hotel and asking to be trained in other departments everytime I see a job ad go up. And I couldn't be happier. I didn't even know I was unhappy before. All of the people posting about ditching food service are right and everyone with literally any other options should ditch it immediately.

Edit: if you're half competent in the industry all of your new coworkers will think you're an amazing hardworker with a work ethic the pilgrims would be jealous of while overlooking your rough edges.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 24, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Nah, that wasn't griping, just being silly.

The service itself went really well and mostly quietly once it got set up, plus the holiday bonus pay didn't hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

turdbucket fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 23, 2016

• Locked thread