Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

They once delivered me a cracked watermelon.

It was in a box labeled to be a case of jalpeno peppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

They once delivered me a cracked watermelon.

It was in a box labeled to be a case of jalpeno peppers.

Maybe it was just one incredibly large and very weak jalapeno. Little carving work, sprinkle some pepper on, make the :20bux: BIG BUX :20bux:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

IT and food are very different propositions. Holding out for more money is not a thing. Because you can and will be replaced by someone who will work cheaper for the six months or so until their addictions ruin their relationship with the business and they hop to the next. Holding out for better wages only works if there isn't a cheaper 'good enough' alternative and an industry-wide interest in silent collusion to keep wages down.

some other folks commented sort of in the same vein I'll comment in : of course holding out for more money is a thing, even if we're talking $8/hr vs $9/hr. If you're honestly just a lovely weed-smoking no-future-in-mind don't-give-a-gently caress expendable dishwasher or line cook or something - ok, maybe not. but if you're provably bringing value to the company - IE, showing up on time when others aren't, going above and beyond, cooking awesome food, being accommodating with your employer's shitshow, whatever the case may be - these are all assets for the restaurant that you have to leverage. Sure you can be replaced, but again, it's your job as someone who wants to advance their career and paygrade to convince management that you're doing a super awesome job, and that they can't afford NOT to give you a raise - because if they decline, the special sauce behind their restaurant is willing to walk out the door.

and again, some business folk might not recognize this - but you don't want to be working for them if they don't anyways, so no harm done.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Black August posted:

Maybe it was just one incredibly large and very weak jalapeno. Little carving work, sprinkle some pepper on, make the :20bux: BIG BUX :20bux:

I somehow suspect that fire roasted watermelon would have been less popular in our nachos. :)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
As someone who doesn't work in the food industry, I gotta say I love that you included "showing up to work on time" in the list of things that provide value to the business.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Annath posted:

As someone who doesn't work in the food industry, I gotta say I love that you included "showing up to work on time" in the list of things that provide value to the business.

You haven't lived until the PM lead heads out but stays on call, then you get half the city in for tapas and when you call she doesn't pick up on account of having asserted her civil rights while in someone else's car with a quarter-pound of weed in the trunk. And you don't find out what happens for three days because they take away your phone when you get sent to holding, even if you're only in holding for ten minutes before getting sent to county for the weekend.

That was a fun service. :)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Republicans posted:

Hope you got a good local place for your produce. Some things Sysco does well but produce is not one of them. $20 for a case of 90ct bakers? No thanks.

I have an account with the local produce distributor as well. I have to pick it up myself but that's no big deal.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Willie Tomg posted:

You haven't lived until the PM lead heads out but stays on call, then you get half the city in for tapas and when you call she doesn't pick up on account of having asserted her civil rights while in someone else's car with a quarter-pound of weed in the trunk. And you don't find out what happens for three days because they take away your phone when you get sent to holding, even if you're only in holding for ten minutes before getting sent to county for the weekend.

That was a fun service. :)

Yeah -- in general the only two acceptable reasons for not showing up are being in jail or being dead.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I've worked with my share of Real Winners™ in retail.

One particular bon vivant was in the habit of leaving work at closing, 10pm, and wandering over to the nearby Applebees. He would proceed to drink until they closed at 1am whereupon he would go home with one of several meth addled waitresses, and proceed to sleep, drink, gently caress, and smoke weed, until his next shift.

He came in still visibly drunk the first time he worked a close followed by an opening.

Actually is there a retail workers equivalent to this thread because holy poo poo.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah -- in general the only two acceptable reasons for not showing up are being in jail or being dead.

"I don't give a gently caress if you've been shot, get your rear end to work. If you're bleeding you're still alive."

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Hello friends! After 2+ months of dealing with yelling and insanity, I think I have been defeated! It were during yesterday's service while getting a sermon about how bad I suck in the kitchen, to which I was only agreeing as I had no other move to play. The head chef hosed up a dish while delivering this sermon, then very quickly turned upon me and told me through gritted teeth that it's my fault for talking to him and I need to just shut up. After other ramblings about multiculturalism being the greatest evil in the world and other such insanities, I have realized that you were all right all along and I should have ran! If not immediately, at LEAST when the 2 other new guys got fired a month in, or the other new guy walked out on a busy friday.

I do not think I can improve to the standards this madman wants, and I don't think he would recognize it anyways because I think he may be irrational and once he's made up my mind that I'm a Weak Bitch, that's that! I guess I will see what happens and correct me if I'm wrong but I think the correct move here is to quickly find another place to work before he harrasses me to the point where I snap and walk out like the other guy? I still think kitchens are cool and fun a lot of the time but I am at a loss as to what to do! I watched this happen to the other guys and basically what happens is he began giving them contradictory instructions where they no longer had a winning move- whatever they did would be wrong. So I think instead of trying to man up and step up my game so to speak, I should find another place!

Who knows!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Your posts are fun to read because it's like you wrote the post, popped it into Google Translate to a foreign language, then translated THAT back to English.

Yeah, get the gently caress out of there.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
So my boss asked me today if any overtime I did would be okay under the table. (To which I said no and he said "well Ill just have to send you home at 40 hours.") I can't think of why they would want to do this other than for the ability to arbitrarily decide to pay me less. Is this normal? I already know it's not legal.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zerocrash posted:

So my boss asked me today if any overtime I did would be okay under the table. (To which I said no and he said "well Ill just have to send you home at 40 hours.") I can't think of why they would want to do this other than for the ability to arbitrarily decide to pay me less. Is this normal? I already know it's not legal.

They wouldn't pay payroll or their half of social security taxes for one.

BogMod
Jun 21, 2014
drat I read some of these stories and it makes me so drat glad I am not working in a kitchen like these.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

zerocrash posted:

While it's certainly illegal, the place I worked at that did overtime like this was the only place that I ever actually got any decent amount of overtime, and in fact could generally work as many hours as I wanted. Every place I've worked at that did overtime legally would either yell at you for getting overtime and cut you as soon as possible or just straight up tell you not to come in, even if it means screwing the people who are working over by making them do a 6 man shift with 4 people.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009

Crazy Larry posted:

While it's certainly illegal, the place I worked at that did overtime like this was the only place that I ever actually got any decent amount of overtime, and in fact could generally work as many hours as I wanted.

I would actually be cool with this except it would probably never happen for me where I'm at. I just got a raise after working there for a over a year and I'm still only making $8. The only reason I've stuck around so long is it's convenient for someone without their own transportation. It's three miles away from my home in rural western pa. I'll bring it up though and see what he says. It was actually a question by proxy from his mom who actually signs the paychecks.

e; Just to point it out, I only get an hour or two of overtime which is why I'm kind of more surprised by this and that's if I'm lucky. I'm basically the fall guy who is willing to work as often as allowed. It just seems really dumb to want to go to this measure over an hour of overtime.

zerocrash fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 19, 2014

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You know people died in the streets for overtime protections. They died like dogs.

Don't be okay with your employer breaking the law and trying to get you to help him.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
On the plus side, I have left that job in a surprisingly good way! I am able to use him as a reference and am welcome to visit anytime! On the downside, this summer has given me a drinking problem I am struggling to control! Thanks industry thread, it was fun! I have an interview tomorrow for a banquet hall. They were sketchy on the hours- is a banquet hall a full time thing, or are the hours going to be spotty and sketchy like I imagine? If they could be steady, I will NOT take twelve to fifteen shots of tequila tonight as the interview is in eight hours. If they're sketchy, well...I've worked in kitchens since I were sixteen and haven't even had a proper "bender" yet!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Simoom posted:

On the plus side, I have left that job in a surprisingly good way! I am able to use him as a reference and am welcome to visit anytime! On the downside, this summer has given me a drinking problem I am struggling to control! Thanks industry thread, it was fun! I have an interview tomorrow for a banquet hall. They were sketchy on the hours- is a banquet hall a full time thing, or are the hours going to be spotty and sketchy like I imagine? If they could be steady, I will NOT take twelve to fifteen shots of tequila tonight as the interview is in eight hours. If they're sketchy, well...I've worked in kitchens since I were sixteen and haven't even had a proper "bender" yet!

I spent ten years in restaurants and I saw a lot of people completely ruin their lives and their families with alcohol. I get that you were being a little glib, but I'm guessing there's some truth to you statement about not being able to control your drinking. The earlier you address it the easier it will be to either quit or moderate. I drank too much when I was in the industry, partially because of the culture of "oh we HAVE to drink because we work so hard and the job is so lovely" but opening the morning after 8 jack and cokes definitely made the day markedly worse. It was a habit that took me a long time to break.

I guess I'm just suggesting that you take that poo poo seriously and nip it in the bud if it becomes a problem. Look out for your own well-being, because god knows your employer won't.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wroughtirony posted:

I guess I'm just suggesting that you take that poo poo seriously and nip it in the bud if it becomes a problem. Look out for your own well-being, because god knows your employer won't.

Employer might even be profiting from it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Oh hey I didn't realize there was an industry thread apart from the bartending one! What-up thread? (not sure why I didn't bother looking for this sooner...)

7 years in the Vancouver industry here, FoH both bartending and serving; about a year ago after working 2 gigs 7 days a week for 2 months I got sick and tired of 3am mornings, quit everything and walked into a job at a local long-time breakfast place a 10 minute walk from my apartment, that closes at 4pm latest every day. Afternoons off is worth so much more to me than industry night-life.

VVV Fire me a PM next time you're in town and I'll try and point you to whatever you're into VVV

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 23, 2014

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I wish you had showed up sooner. I was in Vancouver for 2 weeks about a month ago, and would have loved some industry goon recommendations!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

JawKnee posted:

quit everything and walked into a job at a local long-time breakfast place a 10 minute walk from my apartment, that closes at 4pm latest every day. Afternoons off is worth so much more to me than industry night-life.

I hope to be where you are sometime in the next year. I'm tired of being a mediocre server at a mediocre restaurant.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Anybody work in or know anything about Maui? I'm in Alaska as the assistant chef at a fishing lodge for the summer and one of the guests (Bev Gannon) just offered me a job. I was planning on going back to philly after the season and getting back to busting my rear end in progressively better kitchens until my liver explodes. While I hate to miss fall back home, it's not like my eggs get me offered a job in Maui everyday.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I think she got a James Beard nomination not that long ago?

Maui seems like a pretty perfect place. Do it!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Hmm. Leaves changing color or life changing job...

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

Hmm. Leaves changing color or life changing job...

Hey, it's not just the leaves. Philly's got all kinds of great talent. I've got an in at Veg, interviews at some great places, and there's a slim chance I might be able to work for Eli Kulp. The real question is how committed I am to freezing my balls off versus the possibility of getting them chomped off by a shark.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Had a long and exhausting night. On the bright side, when we were all in the poo poo the sous chef told me that it was a "joy" to watch me work. Ahh, it's the little things that keep me coming back to my ridiculous job.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
Welp, I'm still at my lovely job holding out for a transfer at the end of the year. I'm also working a backwaiting job which I love because the kitchen is kind of in transition right now, meaning a lot of my time is spent standing around waiting for orders to come up, and also because the #2 manager is a cool dude who almost seems to enjoy making GBS threads on lazy servers.

In the past two weeks I've had the following:

-A closed-door discussion with the GM that started with "Before I fire you I truly want to know why you hate this job/no longer give any fucks" and ended with "Oh hey those are some reasonable grievances and we need you more than you need us oh poo poo"

-Had to explain that yes I am in fact leaving at the end of the year. Apparently last month when I said "I'm moving to X at the end of the year, can you transfer me to X store at that time?" was not self-explanatory because I left out the part about why.

-Cussed out by a manager over ice cream. loving ice cream. Took giving my two weeks notice to get an apology because apparently otherwise it's okay to tell me "cry harder about it" when I ask why my preclose is being cut before our rush dies off on a Friday night when I have a twelve-hour shift starting the next morning.

-Tried and failed to continue giving a gently caress. I walk in here and instantly feel depressed. I may or may not have at one point told a coworker something along the lines of "I'm going to shoot myself in the head right here just so you can properly appreciate how it feels to work with you".

-Given less of a gently caress than I even thought possible. I do my job, I do it correctly, and I maintain a general civility towards the inbred shitheads I work with. I also spend up to fifteen minutes at a time sitting on the toilet playing Words With Friends because it's an orgasmically enjoyable reversal of the last three years of busting my balls while 90% of the people around me slack off the instant the GM isn't watching.

-Was told my multiple managers that I couldn't bury the expo on a Saturday night. So I drank some Red Bull and spent half the night remaking food that sat too long waiting for the expo to get to it because oh hey Vorenus is kinda good at his job and even with two expos they couldn't dig out until I rolled off. This was while I was jumping back and forth helping the other line position and singing every Smiths/Queen song I could think of. Oh, and got complimented on my singing voice. Twice. I believe the words my GM used the next day were along the lines of "I didn't want to suck your dick last nigh but that was pretty loving good"

I'm this close to self-diagnosing Stockholm Syndrome, and literally the only reason I am hanging around this shithole is because I am trusting that if I stick this out the rest of the year, my GM will true to his word, give me his best reference to the store I want transferred to, where they might or might not end up having the hours I need on a position they're willing to pay my rate on and a schedule I'm willing to work. I have to hold out for this because another year in this city and I will literally kill myself.

In contrast, I am still complimented at least once on every single shift I have worked at my new job. Every night at least one person tells me they appreciate my work, they like it when I'm on the shift, I'm fast/effective/etc. I'm still treated with respect, I still have a reasonable workload despite us being severely shorthanded this week, and I make just as much money for 1/10 of the stress.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 28, 2014

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Until it's a calling, it's just a job. Get another, and disabuse yourself of your attitude.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yo kid, I hate to say it, you need to calm the gently caress down and care less. Your attitude is poo poo and you're mad that your poo poo job is poo poo and won't transfer you. Quit being lovely and find a different job. It's the service industry; the one loving benefit is that you can leave and find another job anywhere.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you are in a service industry job and not at least 'moderately happy' with your position, you either a. need to find a new job, b. need to care less, c. need to ask for more money, or d. need to shut up.

preferentially a. b. or c. - d. is just dumb, why would you do that. I guess the only reason would be if a. b. and c. are not options. which they are always options.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
he says, stressed out of his loving mind, working 14 hour days for the last month, posting on a forum at 5am during his two hours of down time

shoot me now

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah really it is like that character in Clerks says at the end of the movie says when he says that if we're so smart and awesome workers and great people and intelligent and whatnot then why the hell are we doing this terrible loving job? When I read your post I just imagine some rear end in a top hat bellowing Queen songs at the top of his lungs during a rush thinking he's king of poo poo mountain and it really burns me up! I am in no position to advise others as my life is just -terrible- and I am terrible, but I don't think it's a good idea to stay in a place you hate for months and months because someone gave you their word. That being said I am sorry for calling you an rear end in a top hat as I realize the tone of your message is caused by a bad working environment and not because you are actually a jerk!

To update the thread as someone said once my posts were "fun" and I am glad to hear it- I am now working in a banquet hall! I have been here three days and received literally no instruction whatsoever beyond "chop this parsley" one time! The only training I've received have been from the guy who quit, who is doing this on his own time because he is "concerned about the place" and "knows that nobody will tell us new guys anything". The other day when told to prep the ingredients for 200 chef salads for today I did ask the executive chef how he likes the radishes sliced for his chef salad. "The what?" was the response, followed by an awkward pause and then "Huh. Well Idunno. Never seen it." Then he went home after saying that we could probably just do that prep tomorrow. During this exchange he did have a lit cigarette hanging out of his mouth and this exchange did take place inside the kitchen and not in the splendors of the outdoors.

I don't know whether to stay or not. On one hand, the guy who is leaving told me that this weekend would be the test to see how many hours they give me, and that they will yell and give me no instruction or training and that I should just stop caring now. On the other, I was finished all of the prep an hour early yesterday and they let me leave early while giving me the full hour. Also, they told me to name my hourly rate!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Never forget that managing labour is as much of a business's responsibility as managing inventory. If it's just for a business to go under for wasting food or poorly tracking it, it's even moreso in the context of people. I feel bad for the schmuck who helps out on his own time "For the business". gently caress that guy. gently caress the business. If it can't get by without free labour, it deserves to die.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

God, there's a vegan cafe here that pulls that poo poo. 'Volunteer' labor in exchange for a meal. If their food costs weren't so low, they'd have gone under already.

http://newworldcafedsm.com/

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

God, there's a vegan cafe here that pulls that poo poo. 'Volunteer' labor in exchange for a meal. If their food costs weren't so low, they'd have gone under already.

http://newworldcafedsm.com/

ahahaha what the gently caress is this

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Terrible, is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

How do you run a non-hierarchical kitchen?

"Hey bro, would you like to clean out the grease trap today?"

"I would love to, man, but I'm on a cleanse. You know how it is."

"Okay. Well, I can't do it for religious reasons so I guess we'll just bring it to the group conscience at our next gathering and build a consensus about who should clean the grease trap."

"Namaste, bro."

• Locked thread