Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Man, five years ago me would be hitting you up. I sometimes miss San Antonio. Central Market was nice to have...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
I'd seriously consider it, but I'm looking to move out west towards Seattle if anything :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm imagining whole cheeseburgers covered in mornay sauce - over the bun and everything. gently caress yes.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Willie Tomg posted:

in the last two days he has done no prep whatsoever

Sounds like an excellent way to make enemies behind the line

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

:getout:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JawKnee posted:

Sounds like an excellent way to make enemies behind the line

oh is it ever.

Say what you will about the benzo guy, that once incident aside he and I are a loving rock solid team who get the plates in the loving window, brainstorm ideas to execute quickly and gracefully, and generally leave the place not-pitted with a tastefully sparse lowboard at the end of service and my bitching aside his bump to PM lead is pretty legit on that basis. Also once he moves on to better things its likely gonna be me in that dinner lead slot which is cool.

Heya remember this post?

Vegetable Melange posted:

Until any one of these freaky service bots does more than 48 overnights in a two month period near the holidays, realizes they can't have meaningful relationships outside of the business, and begins to show up in shorter and shorter skirts whenever she needs an actual favor from the BoH...then just regular favors...

The inevitable degradation of man by men; isn't that what service is all about?

You fuckin' called it, friendo. Seriously, scarily prescient. :)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Not my first rodeo. I'm taking bets on the rest of you guys as well, but that's for another thread.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Christmas gift from work: 75 dollar gift card. I know exactly where that is going. The best whiskey I can afford.

Lost a chef last week because he got lovely that the female sous chef was telling him what to do, so he was throwing paring knives at the function list corkboard.

2 days later - gone. And we're already short staffed.

Hello again, 6 day weeks. How I've missed you.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Not my first rodeo. I'm taking bets on the rest of you guys as well, but that's for another thread.

Ooh, what's mine?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Pretty sure that "sternly worded email" I was talking about earlier just 86'd a dude's career in food service.
                                                               /

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

M42 posted:

Ayyyyy. Not quite restaurant industry, but I've got a barista job in a hella busy upscale cafe. I need good "standing and running around for hours" shoes (for women, no heels tho) but they can't be too hideous like my BOH danskos, cause we gotta be ~classy~. Any suggestions?

I love this job :kimchi:

Worked with a FOH lady that wore Keens, and she said they were great work shoes. I like their street shoes a lot. An old chef swears by Mozo. Seems like their service shoes have a very similar thread to Shoes For Crews but without their horrible crap bullshit

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Last night I told these two knuckleheads to check the beef I had been braising right before they left and put it in the walk-in if it was done, or if it wasn't to call me so that I could come back later and get it out... I came in this morning to find that what they had in fact done was to drain the liquid off, but then put it back in the 325 degree oven and leave it there over night? anyway, it wasn't a total loss because I got to overhand slam dunk a giant roasting pan into the dish sink and then go on a hulk like rampage through the dining room for the first time ever which felt pretty good

common thread I've noticed among people who make this kind of mistake: they seem to spend a lot of time bragging about how fast they can flip a line / how fast they can close. just sayin

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Radio Help posted:

how fast they can close

I fuckin' hate that guy.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

I fuckin' hate that guy.

Better than the guy that just walks out instead of helping close at all.

Especially if said guy can't even hold his end on the line in general.

at least i have my whiskey for xmas/eve.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
I have an upcoming storm in time for the holidays that I could use some help with.

The casual cook I despise the most is filling in a Holiday shift. Yes, our company is entrusting the holiday dinner with the dullest knife in the drawer and witg it the occasional untrained kitchen helper who had reports that she finished an hour past her shift.

Now I never mind battening down the hatches for the company but this cook is a prime example of poor performance. FROM delivering the dinner late for us to serve and leaving more stuff after I am supposed to take my break so I truck on through. And he is entrusted with a holiday dinner as well. I can take the lumps but quite frankly for someone like him I may be calling in sick

The question is this: should I leave the mess behind to show how incompetant he is or should I keep working like I usually do.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

gyrobot posted:

I have an upcoming storm in time for the holidays that I could use some help with.

The casual cook I despise the most is filling in a Holiday shift. Yes, our company is entrusting the holiday dinner with the dullest knife in the drawer and witg it the occasional untrained kitchen helper who had reports that she finished an hour past her shift.

Now I never mind battening down the hatches for the company but this cook is a prime example of poor performance. FROM delivering the dinner late for us to serve and leaving more stuff after I am supposed to take my break so I truck on through. And he is entrusted with a holiday dinner as well. I can take the lumps but quite frankly for someone like him I may be calling in sick

The question is this: should I leave the mess behind to show how incompetant he is or should I keep working like I usually do.

Why not just take some quick phone photos of the mess before cleaning up and moving on? That way you can talk to your boss about it later with some evidence if it's a big enough issue.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
yeah, photograph it but otherwise not doing the job because you want to show someone else is incompetent will not impress any management

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Why not just take some quick phone photos of the mess before cleaning up and moving on? That way you can talk to your boss about it later with some evidence if it's a big enough issue.

Funny thing is my boss is on vacation for the holidays. So I guess I am gonna have to batten down the batches like always.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Did he torch his loving phone before going on vacation? Is his vacation a seven year retreat to the Lhasan hinterlands seeking enlightenment free of material constraint?

Sometimes you have to pick up some slack. This is the case everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSRg9GPfFgE

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

:respek:

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
Heh, surprise health inspector visit in the middle of our busy lunch while the two of us here are in the middle of doing prep.

zerocrash fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 23, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I hate it when the health inspector shows up on a busy banquet day.

Inspector: "how long has this cart been out?"
Me: "About 2 hours"
Inspector: "Did you log the time you took everything out?"
Me: "What, no, this part goes out in an hour, and half of it is already cooking."
Inspector: "Okay, 2 points for lack of proper time/temp abuse logging."
Me: FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
A few years ago, this was probably the most stressful nerve wracked day for me.

Today I got some gift cards from suppliers and had lamb and scallops for lunch with two bosses. The world truly makes no sense.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Going in for my 26th day in a row of work. I may have over extended myself. Im only working like ~60 hours a week, but I just feel the mental exhaustion. I thought it wouldn't have much of an effect on me, but I guess I let my smugness of my prior job being enlisted go to my head. Money is amazing though, Ill have made a little over 8k this month if things keep up.

My heart goes out to those of you who made the same mistake I did and ate all the house shifts.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Secret Spoon posted:

Going in for my 26th day in a row of work. I may have over extended myself. Im only working like ~60 hours a week, but I just feel the mental exhaustion. I thought it wouldn't have much of an effect on me, but I guess I let my smugness of my prior job being enlisted go to my head. Money is amazing though, Ill have made a little over 8k this month if things keep up.

My heart goes out to those of you who made the same mistake I did and ate all the house shifts.

I hit 92 hours last week. Not including any office hours (those are logged separately). On salary. Because I hate me.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Naelyan posted:

I hit 92 hours last week. Not including any office hours (those are logged separately). On salary. Because I hate me.

Secret Spoon posted:

only working like ~60 hours a week

I don't know how those of you in the industry do it week in week out. I survived the Christmas rush at my not-really-industry bakery job, but I don't think I could handle more than one 75-hour week a year.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

wei posted:

I don't know how those of you in the industry do it week in week out. I survived the Christmas rush at my not-really-industry bakery job, but I don't think I could handle more than one 75-hour week a year.

Learn to abuse/love caffeine/drugs/alcohol. Or just be one of those loving weirdos that just love it because "stupid reason here"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I average about 10 hours of work each week now. It's great.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I average about 10 hours of work each week now. It's great.

gently caress you, diaf. Have a good day.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Oh gently caress me, I hope the other cat chain dude is still around here somewhere. Management team decided to pick a backwaiter to outside expo Monday nights, long-term sdous chef handpicks me as his preference. Feels good, whatever.

I'm in the window five minutes before I send out a mistake order to be given away to a random table, give them some free variety, enhanced experience, etc. The backwaiter I handed it to chose a table that had been seated for two minutes and was still browsing their menus. There are no words.

Working a 12 today, a good Saturday in the busy season is 12-13k sales, 15k is excellent and kinda brutal. Last Christmas Eve we hit 25k despite closing four hours early, and this year we're projected to break that. Oh, and we're 33 briskets short. Not short of projected sales, but 33 entire briskets short of what we need at a bare minimum to sell our preorders, not including the dozens of walk-in "Oh hey I need 15 pounds of beef and I was supposed to be on the road an hour ago, thanks" orders. I'm going to witness enough breakdowns today to fill an epic novel.

Oh, and some regular brought in personalized Christmas cards for every. single. employee. containing $10 and a lottery card. I'm giving him extra food every time he comes in from now on, still working on finding someone to give him a blowjob.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vorenus posted:

Oh, and some regular brought in personalized Christmas cards for every. single. employee. containing $10 and a lottery card. I'm giving him extra food every time he comes in from now on, still working on finding someone to give him a blowjob.

That's the kind of poo poo that makes my frigid, overworked heart grow three sizes. Some people are pretty loving cool.

At my place (it's a small place, maybe 15 staff total between BOH and FOH) we did a secret santa this year. The chick that got me is one of our idiot servers, but she got me some scotch so whatever, fair enough. Otherwise though, my BOH staff all pooled together to get me a gift (actual good scotch, bless their hearts, and a ladybug pillow/plush toy thing because I hate those little assholes, so also gently caress my staff), the rest of the FOH got me a bunch of cheeses and cured meats and preserves, and then one chick who's one of our best servers/dishwashers/gets whatever the gently caress done, went out and got me a bunch of poo poo and got the owners to chip in. Brief backstory: she was in the kitchen one day, we were all just talking about Christmas traditions, I mentioned that I didn't really do Christmas as a kid or once I moved out, but once I came to the city I'm in currently I used to spend Christmas morning getting drunk on mimosas, watch Nightmare Before Christmas, and then go to the Asian market that was still open and buy some duck to cook. I mentioned that I never get to do this anymore since the girlfriend now is all about family Christmas and poo poo and I'm either not at home or we have her parents stay over.

So this wonderful human being walks into my kitchen, just hands me three bags, hugs me and walks out. In the goddam bags are a giant-rear end bottle of champagne, 4L of orange juice and some fresh oranges, and a whole loving duck from one of our local suppliers. The card attached has a bunch of Nightmare Before Christmas scenes/characters drawn on it, and a pretty drat sweet novel of a message in it.

gently caress this industry, man. So much of it is bullshit but the work and the people are the absolute best, bar none.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I've got 5 covers all day, closed for dinner tonight and none of the salaried guys are in. Phoning it in on Christmas Eve. Think I'll help myself and the line crew to some hot toddies.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Vorenus posted:

I'm in the window five minutes before I send out a mistake order to be given away to a random table, give them some free variety, enhanced experience, etc. The backwaiter I handed it to chose a table that had been seated for two minutes and was still browsing their menus. There are no words.

Plunking random unasked-for free food in front of someone is a great way to make your restaurant look inept. It's also a great way to make your guests feel uncomfortable about what to do about food they don't want to eat but were served anyway. Sending it to a totally random table was, as you discovered, a really bad idea.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Naelyan posted:

Ugg I don't miss that. I used to do 80 to 100 hour weeks for years and I won't ever got back to that. This jobs pretty good. Tonight's going to be a nightmare though, one of our managers went to the hospital mid service, like got a carried out in front of the guests by an ambulance team.

I have tried calling him and I'm super worried. :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Wroughtirony posted:

Plunking random unasked-for free food in front of someone is a great way to make your restaurant look inept. It's also a great way to make your guests feel uncomfortable about what to do about food they don't want to eat but were served anyway. Sending it to a totally random table was, as you discovered, a really bad idea.

There's totally a good way to take a mis-fire and send it to a table in the right way though. It relies upon you having servers that have a rapport with their tables and a good sense for presentation, but it's not an inherently bad idea.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kenning posted:

There's totally a good way to take a mis-fire and send it to a table in the right way though. It relies upon you having servers that have a rapport with their tables and a good sense for presentation, but it's not an inherently bad idea.

Hitting up some regulars or some people who are between their apps and mains with an extra plate of food can be awesome, I doubt there are many people that wouldn't appreciate that. Having food put down in front of you, by not your server, when you've barely talked to your server, is loving weird.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
edit- bad post, disregard

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wei posted:

Stockholm Syndrome. 'It'll all be worth it in the end, I've just gotta keep this place going in the meantime and be a good team player.'

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks for the advice re: shoes guys! :)

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Slowest day shift I've ever worked at the shop today. drat.

Prolly a good thing for the guy behind the line though. Only like his 3rd or 4th time back there. He would have been swamped if we filled up and it all would have been hosed.

Let's go night shift!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I've literally got bronchitis. Ain't nobody got time for that!

e; no, seriously, this loving sucks, i'm sleepwalking awake and there's nobody to fill my slot because right now there's a staff exodus. Am I pathological for not wanting to take time off because I loving KNOW that when I get back it'll be to a pitted, beshitted station and further staff hemorrhage? Is this that stockholm syndrome liquid communism was talking about?

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 29, 2014

• Locked thread