Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
It's been eight years that I've been in the industry. You guys know the stories. Booze, drugs, waitresses, adrenaline. I love it, I hate it.
I've been wasting the last year of my life running the kitchen in a comedy club. It's brutal. None of my bosses have ever worked anything other than 9-5 office jobs before they opened a club. I get two turns a night of 270 people who literally all sit down at once. My tickets print at the bar and are walked back to the kitchen by the waitstaff and hung where ever they feel like hanging them. All of my kitchen staff are 18 year old kids who have never had a job before, which would be fine except they're all related to the owners and know that I have no real power to discipline them.
I'm burning out. I feel my passion for food slipping away, and if I leave this place, unless they get lucky with a new hire, it will fall apart. I've been offered an office job making literally twice what I make now. I know it's the smart move, I know I'll be miserable in months.
Then, during a drunken 3 am dinner party, I run into a local restaurateur who owns my buddy's joint. Her other restaurant is easily the best restaurant in my city, and she wants me to work there. It's a place where I can grow as a cook, where people have passion for food and take huge amounts of pride in what they do. It, however, pays the same as what I make now, and I've been the boss for so long now that working under a chef is going to be a bit of a system shock.
I'm torn. I love food first and foremost. The industry is something that's grown into a part of who I am.
I know this was a very E/N post. It started as a sort of eulogy to my cooking career, but now that I've written it out I'm almost positive I'm going to take this job at the restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Got a call out of the blue from a James Beard awarded chef asking me if I'd trail for a lead line position at her secondary restaurant. No idea wether she got my resume or phone number. I think my ship might finally be coming in. It's a two hour bus ride each way but a bit more money and a poo poo ton more hours, but I'm tired of being the best at mediocrity.

• Locked thread