Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

No Wave posted:

Instead, it's just about executing a series of discrete tasks as quickly and as effectively as possible while resetting your station back to its normal state. Cooking is just the execution of a series of tasks - you're not looking for new ways to do things, just to do things that you already know how to do.

This translates very well to working as an auto mechanic as well. And in both jobs, I am almost always looking for the best way to mesh all the actions of a task, and then the best mesh of tasks, for greatest efficiency. I went caterer -> baker -> short order -> mechanic, and they're all the same job from a certain perspective (although as a mechanic the urge to lick my fingers is greatly diminished :3:).

Integrated task scheduling and the ubiquitous on-the-fly adjustment might be my favorite part of each gig. It's definitely the most satisfying part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

the sheer amount of hot pans, boiling sugar, and other wonderful things that you can get hit with is amazing.

Boiling sugar is probably the most dangerous thing on Earth, for a variety of scars reasons.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

bowmore posted:

Who listens to music in the kitchen? How do you do it? (iphone, stereo, etc) What get's you moving?

90s house continuous mixes are motherfucking marching music in the kitchen. Some guitar-solo-heavy classic rock is nice for the last hour of a closing shift; bonus points if it's an hour's worth of just 2 or 3 extended jams.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

my go faster prep music is definitely electro

Justice is amazing for cranking out a lot of repetitive stuff like prep or cookies or dishes. :allears:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

crackhaed posted:

We don't even have music in the dining room, definitely no music in the kitchen. Fine dining totally rules :smuggo:

No chamber quartet? Not fine dining. :agesilaus:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Bjay9 posted:

hahaha, drains? Start mopping buddy, gotta push that water outside somehow!

gently caress that old-time bullshit, technology to the rescue. Get a Shop-Vac for the "pushing it around" stage. Mopping is one thing but shoving the water around afterwards, while character-building, is a huge waste of (paid) time. Ain't great for morale either.

Good ole' Shoppie will have that oyster knife stabbed back through your palm in no time.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

"Not available on mobile" :mad:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah the flavor is off if they died in fear or shame. I simply cannot bear a shamefish filet. :wotwot:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Same here, and to motivate me to get through the massive amounts of studying I need to do to never work in a kitchen again. Gotta get that health insurance.

Protip: marry someone who works for the government. :sun:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Oh wow I managed to misspell that not once but both times :(

Sounds like your subconscious really hates Xenos and heretics. :black101:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

Okay fine. You drive a hard bargain but I like that. Two 5ths of the liquor of your choice (<$30/bottle) but you work 5 doubles a week.

I'm in but I want 5 of them and I get to nurse one a day while I work. When I drink, I sing, so you will need an alto and two tenors to cover my mistakes. If you want more than 5 days I want a fancy bottle and a tin of sardines on Saturdays. Does the health package have a liver & kidney rider? I like Sambuca, hopefully you can find multiple colors.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Taking ragedumps in the ice machine. :haw:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
"Sous chef's office" is a strange and novel word salad that makes me vaguely unhappy.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I try to keep it professional and only drink outside of work, though.

Yeah it's nice to have a covered loading dock. :downsrim:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Sunlight. Not a joke.

Nature's Miracle is also very good, along with Oxyclean and Citra-Solv.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
You are working in a sitcom setup.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm too mean to lay down and die.

When people quit after years of running track or soccer or similar, some of them scale back their calories accordingly and some of them don't notice until they're 200 pounds heavier. Mean or not, keep an ear on the things that two people (usually) do better than one, like laundry and light bulbs and trash and paying the bills on time.

Your divorce sucks, and it hurts to read about it. I'm in the NoVa area, PM me your work info and I'll bring a handful of Yelpers and drop you a couple interesting bottles some night. Do you have any allergies?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
gently caress, I should've used that on Garregus. Good idea.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

Now I just need to find blackcurrants.

Good loving luck, if you're in the US. Barely anyone grows them here because until 2003 it was illegal; heirloom blackcurrant bushes carry a blight that rips through pine with a vengeance. Apparently the relaxation of the laws is specifically for new cultivars that don't harbor the blight.

I grew up in a community that included a lot of expat Brits and Germans, and was later surprised to find out that barely anyone outside my childhood town had any idea what they were. :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If I were staging for a bakery, I'd bring two things with me and nothing else. Those two things would be a large and a small heatproof solid-core flexible spatula (the bowl-scraping kind, not griddle-flippers) that I was really comfortable with. Everything else, the kitchen will likely have something serviceable, but if you aren't comfortable with their scrapers then you've got fumbling awkward trouble at the most crucial times.

I was a caterer and then a baker and then a short-order cook and I consider the right scraper spatula to be more important than the right knives. Not by much, but random chef knives are usually at least useable, while random scrapers are often completely worthless.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Wait, what do you mean, 'healthy enough to work again'? How exactly did this job fall apart? :staredog:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Good luck getting one of those sweet, sweet hotel jobs!

What could go wrong? :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Celiac's not the only gluten issue on the table, not by a long shot. Allergies, people with inflammatory diseases like arthritis, people who just fart a lot when confronted with long-chain complex carbs and so on. If you don't offer an alternative, it's up to them to find one, not you. Don't ride that sense of communal obligation too far into the weeds of un-recoupable costs; if it's not reasonably practical to accommodate them then it's not worth worrying over.

Never gently caress with "I have this dietary issue", though. No matter how unconvincing or :tinfoil: their explanation may be, the potential risk is awful and always present. There's no shame in just saying "Yeah no, we don't have anything for you, sorry."

Baking, though, you could offer spelt-based products and satisfy most of the people looking for a wheat alternative. It's not legally gluten-free (IIRC a cup of whole spelt flour has ~0.1% of the gluten that you'd find in a cup of whole wheat flour), so there'd be no need to certify for it. Spelt is a little drier than wheat so recipe liquids need to be tweaked accordingly and it'll go stale a little faster, but compared to bullshit like rice flour it's pretty easy to work with. Spelt's low enough in gluten that even celiac patients can often deal with it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Can you point me towards good further reading on that? A glance at Google pulls up results that are all over the place.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Plan Z posted:

I haven't seen any good resources online. I'll get some book names for you when I go back to the kitchen in a few days. The head baker is more than happy enough to share the information most of the time. He's a hell of a great guy, and this a massive depository of food knowledge.

I loving love drinking with people like that. :3:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Is gluten-free restaurant pizza a thing now? Do you have a separate oven, or just fire away and hope? :psyduck:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's weird how huge the market has always been for something that tastes like/is nothing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The Restaurant Industry Thread: 2 Parts Battered Spouse Syndrome, 1 Part Crushing Poverty, 7 Parts Bitters. Serve shaken in hope-crusted lowball. Sláinte.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I always figured I could make a loving mint if I could patent a 3-in-1 caffeine, nicotine, and birth control patch.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I couldn't get a job giving blowjobs and lucked into something that didn't involve blowjobs.

Okay, we need some clarification about the role of "administrative assistant" because you've given us what looks like conflicting information here.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Black August, it maybe goes without saying but please don't drink or get high or otherwise out of strict control between now and Christmas. Hands and feet, eyes and ears, keep 'em safe.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Trade you. It's Thanksgiving time in the bakery, and I may just learn to sleep in my truck.

A standard truck bed with a cap will hold a full-size futon with room for a rubbermaid tub of clean clothes, another of dirty clothes, a cooler, and lot of liquor. Get a cap that you can lock from both inside and outside.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Also, my back just got manhandled by a doctor and now I feel like I'm 16 again.

That is the addictive part.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That shift pays bank, though. It's a tough thing to turn down, and probably worse with kids. The lure of cash, I mean.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, grab a second job doing second shift in a diner. :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
So, uh, were you both working the same gig? Because :stonklol:, timing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is absolutely true. I used to have barbacks that were the same way - they rocked out, never demonstrated they were willing to move on, so they never got promoted. Nevermind that they made as much as the bartenders, but it would at least have been a lot less work for them.

(Not that I'm even in the industry anymore, but) if I was getting paid the same as the bartender, there's no way in gently caress I'd want to be promoted to Deals Directly With Customers And Remembers A Huge List Of Mixed Drinks/Names/Faces, so that's not a huge shock. But then, I like humping heavy things around and making sure everything's where it needs to be for the frontman's night to run smoothly.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Even if it means working an extra 4 hours each night?

That sounds more like getting paid half as much as the bartenders. :colbert:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

I said the money is the same, not the work.

In that case, I make about the same as Bill Gates, I just have to put in a few more centuries a day. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Megaburger. Sell it.

• Locked thread