Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Why would you stick your finger in anything in the first place??
Tasting spoons exist for a reason, we've had it beaten into us so much. One spoon to go into whatever your tasting drip onto the spoon that goes in your mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Our overnight custodian has a sirius subscription so we listen to the bluesville station all night when he's working.
When he's not I usually play something on pandora off of my phone.
When I'm by myself it's brootal metalz:black101:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

No chamber quartet? Not fine dining. :agesilaus:

During service we have Gregorian chants playing in the kitchen:catholic:

When the old man custodian powerwashes the floors he has to make a dam of towels in front of the one walk-in door or else it floods into the freezer and makes a tiny skating rink.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The kitchen I work in is a show kitchen of sorts. It's not an open kitchen except for the 2 chef's takes in the kitchen itself. Most guests are brought back for a tour and to meet chef after dinner. (It's also a good way to turn over tables :ssh: end the tour at the front door and wish them a good night)

There's lots of brass and copper that needs polished. When a tour is announced a furious quick cleaning happens. When the kitchen tables are in use there's all sorts of rules about what can and can't happen in the kitchen. Basically no joking around all business, only one allowed to talk is chef or one of the sous to call out orders.

It's intimidating at first but you get used to it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

Alright--what kind of kit would I need for pastry staging? I'm assuming I won't need knives, but I've never seen the pastry folks at my present workplace bring anything besides their uniforms, and I lack the context to know if that's normal. I do have BoH pants and a coat with the logo of the school I did my one semester of culinary arts at--is that enough to start?
Bring your knives anyways. I use my pairing, chefs, and serrated knives every single day.

Bowl scrapers, spatulas(both rubber and various sized offsetns), a bench scraper, measuring spoons, cups, pastry brushes, peeler, scissors is most of what's in my roll at any given time.

I honestly wouldn't bother bringing in any thing you made at home. Every try out for a job I've ever done you shadow somebody for a bit then they tell you to make them something you like to make.

Bring a notebook a pen a sharpie and take constant notes. Ask questions actually act like you're excited to be there.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

I'm not the most experienced person here (probably the least), but are we seriously recommending that people bring treats to a stage like this is a thing that happens?
I recommend against it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Unpaid stages in the past could go on for a few days, weeks, or months even.
It's just the way the industry used to be run.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Larry posted:

Anyone have any advice for coping with the switch to third shift? Aside from the usual cocktail of illicit substances, that is.

Do the opposite. Eat right, drink plenty of water, black out your bedroom the best you can. Use a fan blowing to drown out day time noise.
Sleep when your tired, wake up when you're not.
There's days I sleep 4 hours a day and feel fine there's days I sleep for 8 hours and feel miserable.
I've been doing this shift for going on 3 years now you never really get used to it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'm on day 4? Of a 7-8 day closure while maintenance tasks care of some poo poo that's needed done for awhile. The whole crew is on this break.
It's nice to have the time off but I was bored to death of it yesterday and I'm going to feel it in the wallet this month.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

When it was in the teens a few weeks ago maintenance thought it would be a good idea to turn the heat off on Tuesday when we're closed since no one is there when we're closed right?
Nope, there's always an overnight baker there whether we have dinner service that night or not. That night it happened to be me trying to get bread dough to proof in low to mid 50's temperatures inside.
Everyone just simple forgets that we(the overnight bakers) exist.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

:arghfist::chef:awful appppp

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Black August posted:

Oh boy! Who wants to work a week of doubles while sick with a mean little body-achey cold? Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :dance: :choco:

At least you bother to tough it out. All the pussy interns we have right now call out with the slightest little sickness.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Black August posted:

I would stay home and wisely not expose the entire staff to my plague, but I can't afford to. I picked up another shift instead with my fingers crossed that I make enough this month for bills. I'd likely only take one day off and then tough the rest out, but I seriously can't do it. Just gonna shotgun dayquil until people ask if I'm drunk and sleep the second I make it home each night.

making GBS threads/puking you stay home no matter what but these kids call out for the slightest headache or whatever.
When it snowed last week the one called out even though he is within a 10 min walk from the property and his roommate managed to walk in.
Meanwhile I spent the night(day) in one of our empty rooms because I couldn't get my car out of the parking lot.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rockzilla posted:

I was organizing the fridge yesterday and came across this little gem:

Why not just slice one more tomato, or put it in the the full case sitting right underneath that one?

Why are you putting tomatoes in the fridge in the first place?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Look Under The Rock posted:

...but some of those need to go.

Do side by sides old vs new to get your point across.
When they see that your new recipes look better than what they've been doing all along they should if they have any sense let you change them out.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Invisible Ted posted:

So I'm looking to migrate from fine dining to baking professionally at the beginning of next year. I have some basic bakery experience from a private club I baked at, but that was more pastry and dessert focused. Ideally, I'd like to work at a small, down-tempo bakery, but that's not really what I'm asking about. What baking books would bakers here deem essential for someone that's comfortable baking, but needs to broaden their knowledge and technique?

E: It would help to have info on scones and other cafe staples, I'm betting I'd be working a lot with those, judging from my area.
The bouchon bakery book is pretty good also. Covers everything from cookies to cakes to breads.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Vorenus posted:

I covered a FOH shift for a coworker with a family emergency on my day off. THe only food handling is via tongs and scoops so no gloves required, but I wear them anyway out of habit and preferring not to have to wash my hands every ten seconds. Manager walks by, hassles me for handling cash with gloves on. I explain I learned about food contamination years ago and know to change my gloves after.

Proper procedure for putting on gloves is to wash your hands before and after putting them in and taking them off.
Wearing gloves is not a substitute for hand washing.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

So basically what you are saying is that you happen to have a better than average bargaining position than most restaurants so you won't have to make as much of an effort to retain customers as others. Lucky for you I guess. But that doesn't really change the principle that it isn't unreasonable in itself for a customer to ask for alterations to a dish. Some demands are unreasonable and made in an unreasonable manner, some others aren't.

As a sidenote, can't you remove the skin after cooking?

Can't the customer just not eat the skin?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cheapest option might be to find a place that sells liquid nitrogen and use a mixer to make it.
Dry ice works too but it's a pain in the rear end to smash it up as fine as it needs to be.
I'm lucky to have a beast of a machine that has to be at least 30 years old.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My current place has a box that cintas stocks up every once in a while that's pretty comprehensive.
My old place the first aid box would only get stocked up again after symbiotic somebody got injured. The next day it would magically be fully stocked.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you're female and you look like you "get down" you get better tips obviously.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I generally dislike Sundays it's the day most of our weddings end up on and when they decide to do wine dinners they land on Sundays too.
At least they finally stopped doing brunch.
The worst Sunday of my life was brunch, followed by a wine dinner, then regular dinner service.
All completely different menus and of course they all ran long and into each other's start/end times so there was no break between services.
I'm ok with Sunday today though.
Nothing else going on but dinner service then off the next 2 days.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pro-tip change socks, or shoes even if you have an extra pair between services.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ask for the cream cheese on the side and do it yourself?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I was working 65-70+ hours a week at the last place I was at salaried.
I'm now at a place where I'm paid hourly and no overtime is allowed and I'm making almost the same amount of money.
It's not worth your health to work that much.
I had my right eyeball leaking fluid behind my cornea from stress and my BP was sky high.
3 months later and my eye is all better and BP back to normal.
Take care of yourself before you're not here to take care of.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Invisible Ted posted:

How did the eye problem begin? It's been a long few weeks, and for the last week my right eye has been twitching uncontrollably.

It had been going on for awhile before I noticed it. The big thing that got me to go to the eye Dr to get it checked out was a spot of color in one area like when you get a camera flash in the eye that wouldn't go away.
Dr said it's very common in people 25-50 with high stress jobs. Had it checked out with a crazy eyeball scanner. He told me to relax and stop stressing out so much and it would go away by itself.
2 months now since I saw the Dr and the spot is gone just have a slight bit of distortion on a checkered grid the Dr gave me to look at every day.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Republicans posted:

Spent all last night in an achey, fevered delirium and my throat's been slowly getting ticklish throughout the day. We've got well over a hundred on the books for tomorrow (thank god we're doing a banquet) and I gotta follow up Monday with 12 hour shift. Any decent products that can take the edge off a cold/flu? DayQuil never did anything for me.

Bronkaid works pretty great.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dansko, or Sanita I troll the thrift stores for them. I've got a few pairs I rotate now. $10 sure beats $100+ for new ones plus no breaking them in.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've seen foh more apt to do that sort of thing than boh.
One server would empty wineglasses into a coffee cup:barf:
We also found the dishwashers pulling that trick on occasion.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I work at a hotel in DC.
I might die next week:trumppop:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Place I used to work at was out in buttfuck Virginia. The power there went out so often they had a "kit" made up that was stored in dry storage.
It consisted of a number of portable butane burners, battery powered lanterns, etc... all stored in a big rubbermade box in case the power went out the kitchen could still push out food.

I worked the overnight shift there doing bread and pastries. One night my co-worker called as I was getting ready to go in at 11:30 and told me to wait to come in the power was out again and they couldn't come out to fix it until morning.
I went in later that morning and the power was still out. Sous chefs went to the surrounding gas stations and bought up all the ice put the proteins on ice.
Meanwhile the AC, dishwasher, water heater, all that poo poo was still off but the show always had to go on so everyone started prepping what they could. I ended up mixing and kneading the bread doughs by hand.
The power company finally came out to fix it a few hours later.
The owner there could afford to have a generator system installed but he prefered to have it go out every so often and make magic happen when it went out.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Does food grease require such extreme cleaners because it gets hardened or whatever with heat? Even the oldest and nastiest machine grease usually comes off your hands with fast orange and kerosene.

You can't really use kerosene on things that will be having food cooked/served/prepared on.
Kitchen degreasers are nasty but they are rated to be "food safe"

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Speaking of grease, one of my favorite mindless tasks to do in the kitchen was scraping down the fryer. Like you know on the sides or the back, where you'd never get to with normal cleaning? And it would be all rubberized and one good scrape you'd make thai ice cream rolls of grease and crunchy bits, and unf, so satisfying.

I also watch pimple popper vids.

This but the little lip under tables or counter tops.
It's one of the first things I do whenever I start at a new place and everyone thinks your some kind of cleaning God after that.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We have a few in the hotel I work in. I have no first hand experience using them, but I've never seen them broken down or being worked on.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

In our case it's 70 year old Hispanic ladies, and they have huge signs hanging around saying only put this, not this into it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We used to mislabel things all the time at one other place I worked at to make the other people laugh.
Everyone in the pastry dept enjoyed it except the one uptight girl who didn't think lableling butter cream as butt cream was funny.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

From the OSHA thread:

gently caress that poo poo

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

One place I used to work had some grates over the stove top for resting sizzle platters on. Occasionally new cook hires would stick a grill lighter up there as it seems like a logical place to do it. If one of the older guys didn't catch them doing it eventually we'd be treated to the sight/sound of the lighter exploding or shooting off like a bottle rocket.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Shabadu posted:

Help, a bird is menacing my customers.

Make it the GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I got the job, and they actually gave what I asked for, and I get a 3k bonus after 90 days if I meet my goals.

What I'm saying is, get on Mr. Bones' wild ride with me.

e: for the thread, as it turns out, I can actually cook good. Whodathunkit.

RIP Willie Tomg

• Locked thread