Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Hauki posted:

I use stagehand terms all the time at the climbing gym because it's what comes naturally and people stare at me like I'm batshit crazy.

And yeah, I use behind and corner a lot in public too which is dumb and embarrassing.

I worked in theatre & film before I ever worked in a kitchen, so I also used points/hot points in the kitchen at first and people would ignore me.

I can tell when I work too much when I mean to say thanks while getting off the bus, but I just yell "Behind!" to nobody in particular instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Splizwarf posted:

Boiling sugar is probably the most dangerous thing on Earth, for a variety of scars reasons.

I'll preface this by saying I do not work in a bakery.

One of our desserts features dulce du leche, which was in the process of being made and not ready when an order came in for that exact dessert. I start helping out garde manger, making caramel on the fly as a substitute. Naturally, I forget exactly what power I am working with and I quickly dip my finger in it (!!!!) and taste it (!!!!) before my finger tells me to stop you loving idiot what are you doing to me.

Fortunately no third degree burns, but gently caress that blister sucked.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Thumposaurus posted:

Why would you stick your finger in anything in the first place??
Tasting spoons exist for a reason, we've had it beaten into us so much. One spoon to go into whatever your tasting drip onto the spoon that goes in your mouth.

I usually use tasting spoons but I was rushing super hard and not thinking (obviously). Fortunately the caramel was hot enough to kill living tissue :gonk:

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I am very tired so I'm gonna keep it short, but goddamn as a young cook working under a chef I have incredible respect for, and coming off a couple weeks of lovely days, it means an amazing amount to me when I rock grill on a busy rear end night (in both ala carte and banquets) and my chef tells me that I really brought my A-game.

Think I'm getting my mojo back, bit by bit.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Willie Tomg posted:

Every Moment We Live is Agony would be the best name for a breakout post-punk band. I can play one bass chord every four seconds, lets get two other food service goons who can do the same and we'll leave this life of luxury, cut a record, become the darlings of Pitchfork Media and go on tour.

I'll do one trumpet note per song, spending the rest of the time loudly emptying my spit valve into the microphone.

On topic: Week of consistently well-handled busy nights, ended last night spending four hours at the bar with a coworker discussing the industry, food, art, big cities, etc. Then called off today because we weren't picking up. Good times, expecting next week to suck rear end to compensate.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So I've decided I'm going to be moving cities once my lease is up in 7 months, and I was wondering what goons had to say about staging. How long before being able to work in the area is it reasonable to stage in a kitchen? I'm working on a list of desired workplaces by recommendation from my chef, but I just want to make sure I'm not putting it off too late.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

reserve posted:

Where are you moving? Staging is illegal in a number of states now.
Minneapolis, it should still be legal because our old sous staged at a number of restaurants in Minneapolis, but I don't know.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

infiniteguest posted:

For the pursuit of craft and tradition? Besides, cooking is fun. It isn't like we're cleaning blood and vomit out of subway tunnels.

You guys are pussies.

Glad I'm not the only one with this mindset. It sucks sometimes, but this is what makes me happy.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Sir Spaniard posted:

What's with the edited quote and am I the only one who noticed?

woah what the gently caress

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Any folks here have experience working in the Minneapolis, MN area? I'm moving there in a little over two months, and I'm looking for some places to stage. I've already staged at La Belle Vie, which is my first choice, but I'm not sure if there will be an opening when I move, so I'm trying to have more of a pool to choose from in the event that I need a fallback. Other places I plan on contacting so far are The Butcher and the Boar, and Masu Sushi and Robata.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Has anyone else had experience with the Dansko Pro XP line of clogs? They were my first danskos, lasted 4 months before completely falling apart. Upon comparing to my coworker's danskos, mine were stitched instead of stapled, and had a non-slip pad glued on the bottom. After those four months each shoe was about one third separated from the clog at the stitching, and the pads were almost entirely off. They're being replaced by Dansko, but I think it's bullshit that they're selling a $150 pair of shoes that, from the reviews I've seen, consistently fall apart within such a short period of time.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Simoom posted:

Yes I got my rear end kicked and this is an entirely different world but they asked me back tomorrow and will decide then. gently caress me.

I did a couple stages at my current kitchen, totaling a little over a week. hosed a few things up, got buried a lot, but at the end I still got a job. It matters more that you show you can learn on the job and have a good attitude and work ethic than anything else.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

mindphlux posted:

lol, 7.27 dollars an hour? is it somehow legal to pay below minimum wage if you salary someone?

That's above minimum wage where I live :smith:

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
At my last job we were closed the first week of every July due to no volume. The first day of which our protein cooler went down.

Imagine a walk-in full of meat that's been at 80 F for a week.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Willie Tomg posted:

Dinner was boring until around 11pm when the other cook on the line started teetering around and fumbling with plates and platings and tools. I took over and he took five, then ten, then thirty as he got increasingly dizzy and having trouble speaking when he tried to come back and--here's where it gets actually scary-- kinda senile. Stuff like seeing me finish off a taco plate and pull the ticket, so he throws down tortillas for the tacos that just went out. Getting a ticket for kids chicken tenders and firing a full plate of wings instead. He wasn't drunk and he wasn't high, it wasn't that kinda cutesey doopy forgetfulness. poo poo that shoulda just flowed from muscle memory, and that I have personally seen flow from his muscle memory in a few different mental states now, was all kinds of hosed up and not working. I offered to cover for him and thats the story of how I wound up pulling a double through third shift.

I've seen that symptom combo firsthand only once before IRL. They were having a stroke. I really, really hope the guy is okay. He refused to go to the hospital on account of not being able to afford bankruptcy and the manager on duty was all "well whattaya gonna do, twist his arm?" and... I mean, he wasn't wrong I guess... :(

Was it unusually hot? Severe heat stroke can cause stuff like that, but I'm betting he was smarter than that and was drinking enough water. That's scary though, I hope he's ok :(

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I spent probably about 9-10 months in the pit before getting any prep shifts, and I wasn't totally off dishwashing until about a year and a half in. Sometimes they just can't find people to replace you.

However, the place I was at had incredibly high turnover and was generally a lovely place to work. Nothing too dramatic, so it's not really worth going into, but everyone just treated everyone else shittily and nobody cared.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So I'm looking to migrate from fine dining to baking professionally at the beginning of next year. I have some basic bakery experience from a private club I baked at, but that was more pastry and dessert focused. Ideally, I'd like to work at a small, down-tempo bakery, but that's not really what I'm asking about. What baking books would bakers here deem essential for someone that's comfortable baking, but needs to broaden their knowledge and technique?

E: It would help to have info on scones and other cafe staples, I'm betting I'd be working a lot with those, judging from my area.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Liquid Communism posted:

The Bread Baker's Apprentice is pretty good. I liked Flour Water Salt Yeast better. The Bread Bible got used as a reference from time to time as well.

That said, I wish you luck finding anything like a down-tempo bakery that isn't a pit of woe and money loss. Bread needs volume of sales to make money, unlike pastry where a single decorated cake can make fairly good prices.

Scones are dirt easy, and freeze well once rolled out and cut to be baked later. My old daily run for the coffee shops was muffins, sweet scones, croissants, dutch letters, turnovers, danishes (fruit and cheese), caramel pecan rolls, raspberry cheese rolls, pains au chocolat, and an assortment of cookies.

Really, as long as the place I end up at can pay me on time, I don't care too greatly about their profitability. I'd just be going in as a grunt, I'm pretty far away from management right now. I am trying to research scones and cafe grub a bit, because I know that the kind of place I'd end up, that's what I'd be making more of, rather than different breads. I guess I'm looking at small cafes that bake their own goods as potential workplaces, hopefully a place like that would make enough money from beverage sales to stay afloat.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Naelyan posted:

Pretty sure I've plugged it here before, but along with all the other good suggestions so far, Ratio is a really good read, and a good basis to start out from so that once you start fiddling with recipes, you know why poo poo works and what it's all based off of.

I actually already have Ratio, as well as the app, but it's a solid recommendation not just for my situation but for anyone who wants to better understand the mechanics behind many dishes.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Anyone in the Midwest having issues with their breadcrumb pos systems today?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Uncle Lizard posted:

Take the money and make die they don't work you do much that you get paid minimum wage pretty hour for the amount of hours you put in.

What is this supposed to say?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
One of our sous chefs tasted something with a spoon and then immediately started plating with it, then proceeded to tell me it was because we didn't have designated tasting spoons. Can someone tell me I'm not stupid for thinking this is nonsense?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Naelyan posted:

Nice. It's been so long since I've had one, I didn't even think about a fryer for that. I like it.

We did the same thing with game hen in a kitchen I worked at about a year ago. Stuffed and par-poached, then fried/glazed/shortly baked to order.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
We had a table with one person who reportedly had leaky gut, and e-mailed a month and a half in advance with literally two pages of ingredients she couldn't have, including things like butter, garlic and chicken. She ordered an eight-course tasting menu :downs:

E: At the end of it she said she was still hungry, and ordered a well-done beef entree, which the restaurant compensated because they were such assholes who seemingly couldn't be appeased.

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 19, 2015

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

In other news, my place was announced is a semifinalist for a JB award two days ago... Everyone on staff has gone nuts, I'm half expecting knife fights to break out because tensions are so drat high. Ugh.

Same here, except nobody's acting differently. We've won one already six years ago, so I suppose it's not as huge as it could be, but I still feel we should be a little excited.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Our sous chef went down so hard last night that he had one extra person on his station, and three people prepping for him. Which is our entire line minus one. He was also one of two people that wasn't helping prep for our chef's cooking competition, so gently caress if I know what he was doing for the five loving hours before service. This being the same guy that takes a spoon from his mouth into a pot of puree for plating. And cuts lobster on his cutting board without sanitizing/flipping (then tried to give me scrap he cut on it, when I am allergic to shellfish).

Beginning of the second turn he mutters to me that he only has 17 orders of pasta left. I was actually thinking about staying in the industry longer but he's making me reconsider.

e:kill everyone

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
poo poo sous is blaming me for him going down on Saturday, because I worked his station on Thursday (the day I came in and the station was loving barren, when I spent all day including service rolling pasta, turning carrots, etc.)

I don't care that nobody believes him, it still positively infuriates me because this is the second person that is using me as a scapegoat in the past few months. I'm tired of there being one person that doesn't treat me like a human being/is incapable of being responsible for their station.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I said I was out, but the yeast keeps calling.

Just one loaf until retirement.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Our day dishwasher and new night dishwasher didn't like each other's work, so night guy quit. I volunteered to close dish, and ended up staying 3 and a half hours late. Left at 2:30 am with two gift bottles of wine from the owner, plus promised bonus pay. 13.5 hour shift. Back there in like 7 hours for brunch. Hourly rocks.

E: yes it was that backed up, plus we don't have a conveyor dishwasher. Hand washing and a little single load machine.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

mindphlux posted:

Hey so, what do y'all think about CdC 's pay structure? (and are you foh or boh?)

Just curious, because I had the same reaction as his cooks to servers and boh both making $10/hr. But at the same time I agree with his sentiment of wanting quality people who know they're loved....

Dunno, trying to figure out what I'd pay folks in my IdealFutureRestaurant.

I would be upset, as a cook. Both FOH and BOH jobs suck, just in different ways, so I don't understand why their pay structures should be offset like that.

e:

Simoom posted:

it's not interesting, new, admirable or glamorous to ruin your life for the service industry
new thread title

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 13, 2015

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Vorenus posted:

I've never really understood rigid anti-workplace dating stances. Act like adults, don't make a big deal of it, and agree beforehand to still do your jobs and ignore the inevitable efforts of your coworkers to damage the relationship purely for their own entertainment. I guess if your workplace is your career you might want to err on the side of caution, but to me this is nothing more than something to pay the bills and get me through school so I can get into a career I truly enjoy and take pride in. Not taking a shot at people who do this as a lifelong career, more power to you for being able to enjoy it and I know most of y'all are much better cooks/chefs than I'll ever be but I meet someone I genuinely have a lot in common with and enjoy being around (as opposed to "I'm a horny teenager and can't control my sexual impulses") I'm not going to automatically chase the thought away because I happen to work with that person.

Now, I can understand policies/attitudes against two people dating when one of them supervises the other because that is almost guaranteed to be a headache for everybody no matter how many good intentions are thrown into it. Of course, this is all my personal experience and while I have been at this for 10 years, I've not been around nearly as long as most and I've always been more on the casual/chain side of things.

What bothers me a lot is the 'fresh meat' attitude towards women in kitchens, FOH or BOH. I don't give a poo poo if people are dating/loving within as long as they're professionals, but I think it's really hosed up to see a new co-worker and think that she 'gets down' while comparing her directly to meat.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

2nd 15 hr day running prepping the new restaurant to open. Soft open tomorrow night, full speed ahead on Saturday. It's been a mix of engaging/fun and challenging/somewhat frustrating. Co-workers are really cool, everyone actively wants to be in the kitchen doing what they're doing, which is huge. I like it. I'm going to sleep now.

I'm there with you. Second soft-open service was tonight. Things were kind of crazy, but I can see the foundation of our kitchen really laying down now. For some reason though we're doing a limited dinner service during lunch tomorrow, and again in the evening, so I have to be back in 8.5 hrs

don't give a gently caress because great coastal italian food is amazing and money is almost as good.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
This same situation happened last week. My station partner got a call before service, after which I figured out he had a death I'm the family. We switched shifts on next week's schedule and I talked to our sous to let him out early. Covering for your co-workers in times of distress like that is the least you can do, and it's lovely to make any fuss over it.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
gently caress I didn't realize a pacojet was $4k, we've had one at the last two places I worked. In all fairness, where I work now has a lot of money behind it; on top of the pacojet we also have a $6k pasta extruder, used to great effect.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Thoht posted:

Alright, I have to go on a tangent here. Artichokes are like the dumbest loving vegetable ever. They take a stupid amount of labor, the yield is garbage, they oxidize quick as gently caress, they stain your loving fingers and knife, they stab you with goddamn spines, and for what? They're not even that good! They just have a loving generic vegetable taste.

So! What are the things you all hate to prep the most and never want to see again?

Artichokes taste amazing sous vide with EVOO, garlic, thyme and salt. Plus they keep really well vacuum sealed with lemon juice. Those aside, they're bs. Baby artichokes moreso.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
All the serious restaurants I've worked in had a first aid cabinet stocked by some service. I'll occasionally see a guy in an EMT like uniform come in and restock it.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Our accountant has caused enough bounced paychecks that my bank has been holding mine for six days now. After I fix the fact that my account is $530 in the hole, I'm going to fantasize about breaking the accountants kneecaps with a baseball bat. In reality, I can't do anything about it.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

e: I think its important to know how much other people make. If my employees don't know I make 15/hr, how can they possibly know now much their labor means to the company?

I know thats kinda abstract, but yearly income shouldn't be something you hide, especially among us. I made 47600ish this year, I want you all to know that. If someone trusts you to run their drat restaurant, that's what you;re worth. That is our strength, do not resent it, embrace it.

Agreed. I've noticed talking about pay is kind of a social faux pas in the industry especially, and I think it just makes it easier for employers to exploit their workers. I've wrestled my way up to $14/hr, up from $10/hr a year and two restaurants ago. At the year-ago resto, nobody really knew what anybody else made because when hired, chef would just ask what someone was looking for. In my case, and the one guy I talked to about it, he accepted the first offer (between $10 and $11 for us). Since then, I've done much easier jobs for more money, which leads me to believe I should have argued for higher pay.

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 26, 2015

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Second bounced paycheck today. Told chef if it happens again, I'm out, and he got pissy. Said he isn't in charge of banking, and telling him that just pisses him off. I guess I warned him.

I'm just pleased that I work where bounced paychecks are common, and all of our managers that actually have access to the accountant/owner have complained about it to no avail. Sure is great to have no loving representation or avenues for complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

JawKnee posted:

quit now? That's 2 weeks without pay. How much notice did they give you?

Notice of what, the check bouncing? I don't think I understand the question.

• Locked thread