Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Mother The Car
Feb 15, 2001
When does the hurting stop?

Wroughtirony posted:

The long-term usefulness of a culinary degree mostly pertains to non-cooking jobs. It's a nice feather in your cap if you want to work as a rep, work FOH someplace fancy, work for a winery or manage FOH or be GM of a smaller place. It can offset the blow (slightly) of not having a Bachelors in a food-related job.

None of these are good reasons to get a culinary degree, I'm just pointing out that it's not complete toilet paper, just mostly toilet paper.

In my opinion the ONLY good reason to go to culinary school is as follows: You're wealthy or someone else is paying for it. The cost of culinary school is so ridiculous that it's impossible for most people to pay the loans on a cook's salary. IMPOSSIBLE. If you're getting a free ride, go right ahead! Culinary school is FUN. You get to play with all kinds of fun ingredients and learn some old-school techniques that will help you gain a good foundation for future learning. When you graduate, you will be totally unprepared for life in a real-world kitchen, but you will have a skill set that will allow you (if you apply yourself) to progress far more quickly than you would otherwise. Think of it as a pass for the HOV lane.

tl;dr: Culinary school owns, it's PAYING for it that sucks, do it if you're loaded but don't expect to come out of it as anything but an overqualified prep cook.

I'd mostly agree with this.

The only thing I think I would point out is this: You get EXACTLY as much out of culinary school as you put in.

You go at 18/19 and treat it like a regular 4 year degree; gently caress around, drink alot, blow off your studies? Odds are you aren't going to get as much as the person who really buckles their poo poo down and studies(the 'boring poo poo' like McGee*); takes every class day seriously and makes an effort from top to bottom.

Basically culinary school is just like life in a kitchen; alot of the people are lazy shitheels with little ambition and the people who give a poo poo/bust rear end/stay organized end up doing alright. Bear in mind that doing alright in an industry like this can be absolutely ball-crushing if you don't REALLY loving ENJOY cooking.

I have alot of issues with the school I am going to graduate from. It's horribly mismanaged, crazily overpriced, and has let its standards slip...but over the course of MY time there I have lived/worked in Philadelphia, worked in NYC, spent a summer working at a Farm-to-Table restaurant in the Napa Valley under one of the best American chefs of all time, made connections on both coasts and have had most of education paid for by scholarship awards and grants.

I worked my rear end off and built a whole mess of skills; will I walk into a sous-chef job? Not at anywhere worth working. Will I get out of Garde Manger and onto a real station quick? Sure.

Was culinary school worth it for me? Yup, but YMMV.

*McGee is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread