Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I've been working for my boss for the better part of three years and tonight was the first time I ever hung up on him out of frustration. He's always been weirdly temperamental but in recent months he's driven away so much of the wait staff I don't even know any of the names of the current crop. I don't think we have a single server on staff who's been with us longer than a month and a half. This necessitates him working the floor every night trying to train them but that's just burning him out even faster and making him more irritable. It's also making it hard to maintain a well-trained kitchen staff since most cooks don't stick around very long after they inevitably catch undeserved poo poo from him or he plays too many games with their hours.

Today I had a nice talk with a lady he sent my way looking for someone to host a dinner for a girl's high school softball team on the cheap. We recently converted part of the floor to banquet seating so I thought we could feed them some nice cheap-and-easy stuff buffet style and charge them for the food cost since they had a very limited budget and I'd be happy to provide all of the labor for free. I can feed a self-service party of 40 standing on my head and we would generate some very welcome goodwill and positive word-of-mouth in the community. My boss happens to come in as we were ready to discuss cost and he insisted on no less than 15% off of menu pricing, which would swallow the entire budget for the event and completely deflated her of enthusiasm.

I'm gonna have to have a long talk with him tomorrow about what we can do about all this, because I don't see myself working for him for much longer if this keeps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Vegetable Melange posted:

See, I found your problem.

We've done small parties at cost for local organizations before where I volunteer to handle all the labor myself, including clean up and dishes. That's why I felt so blindsided when he came in with the pricing, especially after asking me to arrange it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Yeah, I understand where you're all coming from. My boss said as much later and that's why he haven't done anything like it since we moved locations. We did end up giving them a good offer we can make some money on and if that was too much for them we could at least give them a real good deal on some take-out if they wanna do the event at school or someone's house. I just really, really wish he had told me how he wanted these kinds of clients handled before he sent her my way and I got her hopes up. In fact he didn't even tell me she was coming, he just told her to come to the restaurant and ask for me if he wasn't there himself.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

In my experience the best thing to do is make something and have them taste it. If they like it show them exactly how you made it and give them a written recipe for future cooks to follow. If it isn't too complicated or expensive they'll probably go for it. That's how I got us to stop using straight-up canned marinara sauce for pastas.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Isaac Asimov posted:

Benefits... I don't even know what those are at this point. One day...

I get my own Restaurant Depot card, that's pretty sweet.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fuuuuuuuuck, Wolverine stopped making the Neptune slip-ons I've been wearing since culinary school. They have essentially the same shoe as a steel toe but even in extra wide my toes still chafed like a mofo the one time I tried them. I would have been perfectly happy buying those shoes for the rest of my life and now I gotta find something as good or I'm gonna go crazy. :(

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Be insanely careful about calling anything gluten free, you can really gently caress someone with celiac disease up. It's probably way better to say that, although you've tried to make a thing without gluten, your kitchen regularly works with gluten etc etc

My boss is always asking me about offering gluten-free pasta on the menu and I have to keep telling him no because I don't trust some of the line cooks to not reheat it in the same water as the regular pasta.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 8, 2014

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Manuel Calavera posted:

Seconding that. Or find an adult education program at your local technical school, much cheaper.

I went to a community college that had a fantastic program that cost me a few grand all together. They even bussed us up to skagit valley every other week in the summer to learn about/do some farming.

Laughed my rear end off when they told us about it because it was straight out of a Mitch Hedberg bit.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anyone got any tips on helping a restaurant die with dignity? I got a call from my boss telling me to only buy what supplies we absolutely need for the next couple days. He also told me one of the recent front-house hires broke a ton of dishes and the two cooks in the back were bugging him for a dishwasher despite poor sales. Earlier today I asked him about how the restaurant was doing financially and he said "crap." Me, him, and a couple other cooks are getting together tomorrow to talk about everything and he said unless he felt confident that they would work to help him turn the place around he'd just close. Frankly I hope he does, not only for selfish reasons but it's obvious to me that he just doesn't have the heart or energy to run a restaurant anymore. He's an old guy who's had a good run of it and I don't want to see him waste his savings.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Looks like we'll be plugging along for a little while yet. We're not nearly as bad off financially as I was lead to believe and my boss is feeling much more optimistic after having slept on the matter. I helped him make up a new schedule cutting down hours significantly (easy this week since someone's on vacation, next week will be tricky) and I identified some menu items we can safely eliminate to save some time on prep, which has bloated a bit in recent months since I started doing more desserts in-house.

I may just be pissing in the wind but as long as the paychecks are still clearing I can't bring myself to quit for greener pastures. Got my resume and references ready in case, though.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I would just make stuff that's inherently vegan anyways and sell it as vegan-friendly, like a lot of candies/confections.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

You could just use Crisco. Even the butter-flavored kind is vegan.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Last time we had a health inspection the cook who was working solo that morning got in an argument with the inspector over whether or not you have to wash onions before you cut them. He doesn't think very highly of women so, according to eyewitnesses, he laughed at her like she was an idiot.

That failed inspection cost us about $170 I believe.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Looks like I am back in the industry... I resigned from a director position at an IT company recently and decided to open a food truck, which when talking to a bar owner friend of mine turned into me also taking over his kitchen and helping him turn his bar into more of a gastro pub and basing the food truck out of that kitchen.

Suddenly I'm busy again! The new launch should be in September.

What kind of food truck?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Vorenus posted:

I've only zested a few times, mostly for home use, but I've never had issues with a microplane. I did have one place that tried to have me use one of those zesters with the little claw on the end, which led to me pretty much mincing lemon skin because the thing was a piece.

Spoilered because this is a shitstorm three years in the making:

For the past calendar year, I have worked 12-hour shifts every single Saturday and Sunday with the exception of two weekends where I only worked one or the other, and two weekends where I took both days off. I have begged for adjusted scheduling and been told no, because of the other people who work my position, one has his set schedule and the other two suck. They refuse to fire the two who suck, or hire better people, or accept that they will never find a cook who will give a gently caress at $9/hour.

In the same calendar year, I have gone from being unable to handle the core position in the store, to being second-best to a guy who is insanely good. At my annual review, I was given 50 cents and told that I was basically lucky to get a raise for "just showing up on time". I can, and have, literally ran circles around my bosses on this position; I have trained GMs on how to do my job so they have a good perspective for the following weeks when they start their six-figure-a-year position, yet I'm not good enough to be a certified trainer.

If my coworkers somehow had their solemn vows of apathetic laziness and self-centered narrowmindedness carved onto the surface of the moon it could not make it more obvious than their attitudes already do. I have repeatedly caught more poo poo for asking them to do their jobs/asking a manager to step in/expressing in any way, small or large, my frustration, than any of them ever has for not doing their jobs. I can watch my coworker stand around for an hour with no guests, sit on his phone in the office for 30 minutes while a a manager does his job for him, and get paid more than I do, yet if I stop busing my balls for two minutes I get told "find something to do or I'll find you something" by some snotty little oval office who things she's hot poo poo because she wears a polo shirt in a loving barbecue joint.

I have to answer to people who are literally retarded. I cannot go one weekend without being told that I missed these dozen items over the course of ten minutes, being condescendingly told to remake them, and then having ten of them sitting in the window twenty minutes later, at which point I'm told that I'm a bad worker because I made too much stuff I didn't need to make. For the love of Baby loving Jesus I have a boss I have to answer to who literally is loving illiterate and borderline retarded. I have seen hunchbacked geriatric Wal-Mart greeters with Down's who could manage this person's job with more competence.

In contrast, I've had five training shifts and two actuals at my new part-time, and on every one at least one person has expressed their appreciation of my work ethic and attitude. Tonight they confirmed a few things I was unsure of, and I've worked out that depending on the week, I can make the same or more money over there with less than 1/10 of the stress.

So, tomorrow morning my boss gets a two-weeks notice on an availability change. Among other things, no more weekends. I almost feel bad for how completely and totally hosed they are going to be until they find someone else. I'm honestly half-expecting to be fired on the spot while my boss has a fit of rage, but after the weakly-reasoned writeup I got recently I am literally incapable of giving a gently caress. I could never set foot in there again and not lose a single penny over it.

Barbecue, eh? That was my last (and first) job. I also got saddled with 12-15 hour Saturdays due to schedule issues with the other pit cooks. I lasted a little over a year and a half there until Thanksgiving was just around the corner and the prospect of brining and smoking 300+ turkeys AGAIN finally broke me. Luckily at the same time my manager had enough of the ownership's horseshit and quit too so I got a strong reference from her and we both got to have nice, stress-free holidays with our families. :)

What sort of work did you do? Though I was a pit cook I became very good at managing the inventory of the entire restaurant and I was proud to say that in those last few months we never ran out of anything and we never had to throw anything away due to waste.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

black.lion posted:

It sounds to me like the owner is of the "If It Ain't Broke" philosophy - maybe this is a silly question, but if you're only making 12 muffins a day, can't you just make those 12 and keep your "Promise" and then also make specialty muffins, and after a couple months of insane specialty muffin sales go into this similar convo with numbers printed out? Like, why do you have to sacrifice The Promise Muffins in order to offer The Special Muffins?

If they're anything like my boss the specials, if they sell at all, quickly become part of the regular menu while the old stuff stays on no matter how poorly it sells. After a few months the menu starts looking like something from The Cheesecake Factory only you don't do nearly their volume so inventory and waste becomes harder to manage.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ugh, my boss. I get the back house schedule under control for a good month and then he gets the bright idea to hire two more people we don't need and bloats the schedule an extra 35+ hours. He excuses it by calling them "fake hours" because he puts them on the schedule but doesn't let them sign in unless we actually need them. Which we almost never do. Instead they just lounge in a seldom-used corner of the dining room, doing nothing and earning nothing. It's the same crap he puts into full effect in the front of the house and is the reason we can't hold onto a server longer than a couple months.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Black August posted:

How in the hell does he get away with this? More than a few days left not working after coming IN, and I'd be walking out for good with a passing call to the labor board, or at least local friends in the system to let them know to never bother working there.

He'll usually find something for them to do for at least one or two hours or "make it up to them next time" if he can't. But if he schedules them for 18 hours in a week they'll be lucky to get 12 of them actually on the clock. The most common attribute he looks for when hiring is that they're desperate enough for any kind of employment that they'll put up with almost anything if it means a chance at more hours at some unspecified future date. There's no shortage of such people, unfortunately.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh God.

I have 2 more weeks before the kitchen reopens under my new business. Menus are being finalized, Sysco sccounts are open and orders priced out. I am starting with a smaller menu then normal to remember how to work a kitchen.

My wedding in Puerto Rico went really well but my nose is about to hit the grindstone.

Hopefully I don't crash and burn.

Hope you got a good local place for your produce. Some things Sysco does well but produce is not one of them. $20 for a case of 90ct bakers? No thanks.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

a var of piss posted:

Many places do it as a community project rather than as a for-profit business. Volunteer spaces primarily designed to help provide a space in the community where they can afford to eat and hang out. Many of the volunteers are made up of those people who would otherwise be unable to keep a job for the long term for whatever reason (eg addictions, mental health, physical health).

That's not really the vibe I'm getting from the website, though. It looks more like a place for well-to-do white people to play-work for funsies.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Squashy Nipples posted:

Tell me a little about restaurant supply stores?
Does your restaurant get everything delivered, or is someone taking regular trips to a store?

Context: I'm fooling around with starting a meat pie business on the side. The girlfriend is a chef, but she is having some foot surgery, and can't stand all day. I figure she can sit at a table and roll out pastry. My buddy has a pizza shop that only operates from like 10-10, so I can get in there in the morning and use his ovens to bake stuff. He has a pizza supplier, and a beverage company, who both deliver, but he buys a fair amount of his food from Restaurant Depot. He gave me his card so I could go buy some stuff.

I've never been in one of these places before, and I was shocked to see that it was geared towards restaurants that don't actually cook much; the vast majority was pre-made food and convenience items. The only decent selection they had was meats and cheeses. The spice selection was terrible; I do better at the Indian Market in Quincy.

And the prices weren't great? On things we could directly compare, the prices at Restaurant Depot were pretty much exactly the same as at CostCo or Marketbasket. Even on bulk items!

The Restaurant Depot I frequent is huge, well-stocked and overall has better or comparable prices to Cash & Carry and Costco, but it's also relatively new so maybe the one in your area is smaller in size/selection. Is yours also roughly the size of a Costco warehouse with a massive walk-in cooler/freezer section taking up about 1/3rd of the building?

As for delivery we limit that to a small handful of things we can't get around here or are competitively-priced to save us the hassle of lugging it ourselves. Weird how Sysco of all companies is the only one I've found that stocks bricks of fresh yeast.

Sir Spaniard posted:

I... What? What kitchen (outside of cooking at home) is 'for funsies'? Or is that what it is? Cook what you want as long as you cle... wait, what? Yeah, I can't even finish that because that's still just 'do it at home', essentially.

This is probably unfair speculation on my part but I imagine the lion's share of assholesvolunteers they get to work a couple hours for a snack are doing it because they find the idea of working in a kitchen to be a novelty.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've been back a few times now, so I know the layout better. It's a brand new one, laid out exactly as you described. Again, good selections of meat and cheese, but there were a few things I was expecting to find and didn't. I guess I just wasn't expecting such a strong emphasis on take out supplies, which take up about half of the building.

If they don't have something you need feel free to ask them if they can order it for you. Yeah they might not have a ton of speciality items but for everything a restaurant needs they have a good supply of the important stuff.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Are any of the online restaurant rating sites worth a drat?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Simoom posted:

old prep cook comes in halfway through a job, pulls out a head of lettuce the other guy threw out from the half-full garbage can, the garbage can, the literal trash bin, "what, theres nothing wrong with this" and puts it with the clean ones. today was my last shift and this will be my last post here as i am going to go lift things for pay. fare well industry thread keep on doing your thing

the loving garbage can

One time my boss pulled a bunch of lamb scraps out of the garbage (to be fair it was an otherwise-clean bag) and asked one of the cooks to grind it up and make a burger out of it for him to eat. Even after picking off what meat he could, and I'm pretty good at trimming lamb legs at this point so there wasn't much, the resulting patty had to have been well over 50% fat. He loved it and said we should sell it for about, oh, twenty minutes before the diarrhea kicked in.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Naelyan posted:

While there was no garbage can involved, I had a bartender that would walk through the prep area every once in a while (if he smelled pork) and ask for a strip of fat cap off of our braised pork shoulders. Dude would just eat like 8oz of fat, multiple times a week. He was still skinny and played a mean game of rugby. English people are hosed.

Well, pork fat I can understand.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Trebuchet King posted:

So I'm going to a costume party next weekend and the attendees are almost entirely restaurant staff.

I salvaged some bits from an ancient PoS and am going to have a PoS screen mask and a micros printer on my shoulder. Does this make me evil? I'm debating shouting "86'd!" anytime someone asks me something to complete the illusion.

You need to make the printer make the printing noise at-will.

Edit: Christ the Puyallup Fair is kicking our rear end. Eighteen lousy covers all day so far. If things don't pick up by seven I'm closing early.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 20, 2014

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Willie Tomg posted:

Awwwww yeaahhhh boyyyyyy! I'm hacking up alarmingly orange sputum, can't stay on my feet for more than a minute or so without getting so dizzy I have to sit, we're like five people short in the kitchen and I'm needed tomorrow morning for a capacity breakfast service! Time to play the game that's sweeping the nation: Bosses try to guilt you into coming in and being a giant loving lawsuit while I take my first sick day in a year and a half, or otherwise get the bosses to say in writing "I know you are sick, come in anyway"

When I had strep throat a few months back my boss had to bring in an old lady to make moussaka because the only two people in the world who can make it the way he likes are me and her. :haw:

On an unrelated note I noticed a new barbecue restaurant was opening near me and I got excited until I saw on the "coming soon" sign they had a sandwich that looked like 66% pickle and onion on a hamburger bun. Then I looked them up and they're a crappy chain. :(

Republicans fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 1, 2014

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Man I gotta break down 50 pounds of lamb leg today for skewers and all this talk about washing dishes is making me envious.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Radio Help posted:

Man you're gonna hate the hell out of silverskin by the end of that

Eh, you get used to it when you do it every week and a half.

For over three years. :geno:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If you're serious about culinary school, absolutely do not go to a franchise school like LCB or CIA. J&W is better but it's still culinary school and this kind of a waste. Work in the industry for a few years so you have a knowledge base and then go stage and train in Europe. Better, more meaningful education, you get to travel and make contacts/connections based on whom you worked for.

If you think you're going to be some celebrity chef, you're wrong, but also if you read their bios you'll notice how very few of them go "well I really got my start in that culinary school advertised on late-night infomercials..."

I never understand the fools that drop the money to do CIA Greystone here to become a Somm... I have the same certification as them for the cost of the exam and some time studying, as well as a BETTER general background in Enology from the four winemaking/viticulture/vineyard management classes I took at the community college. Unless I want to move to Vegas or work for a hotel chain, I make better wages as a Somm than standard FOH but not by much and it's still much less than as a high-end or high-volume bartender.

I got a drat fine culinary arts education from the Seattle Central Community College for about six grand. Only complaint was some of the courses they make you take as part of the program struck me as extraneous, including courses on ecopsychology and one class I can't even remember the point of other than the instructor really, really didn't like GMOs.

During summer quarter we did get to go up to Skagit Valley every other week to do some farming, though. That was neat.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Thoht posted:

Hey me too, when'd you graduate, just out of curiosity?

Winter 2008

Republicans fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 8, 2014

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My boss legitimately wanted me to take over the restaurant and pay him $2,000/month for the privilege. That was probably the most firm "no" I've ever given something in my entire life.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

bunnyofdoom posted:

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't ghee clarfied butter essentially?

Ghee is typically cooked a bit longer so the milk solids caramelize before straining. It's in-between clarified and brown butter.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Man I love doing caterings. Had a wedding reception for 150 people today and I thoroughly enjoyed my boss being constantly nervous as hell despite us being on schedule and everyone being very happy with the food. I don't know what it is about larger events but he always seems to loathe them. I think they're fantastic because you have a list of exactly what needs to be done and when and all you have to do is make it hot, good and on time.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Wroughtirony posted:

Someone mentioned work shoes so I have to post about DANSKO BRAND SHOES because it's in my contract.

(I wish.)

(No seriously, check them out.)

I keep meaning to order a pair but I heard bad things about them if you have flat feet, and I have the kind of feet that have a normal arch until you put your weight on it and then they flatten. On the plus side if I walk barefoot on linoleum sometimes it makes noise like an armpit fart. :haw:

On an unrelated note I'd like to ask you all a question: What foodstuffs from restaurant suppliers do you frequently keep around work for personal consumption? I find lately I've been eating a lot of these breaded chicken tenderloins I can get at restaurant depot for $25/10lb. Unlike a lot of frozen processed chicken products that are 50% breading these are lightly coated, fairly meaty and very tasty for something I can chuck in the fryer for a few minutes and eat on my drive home.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah yeah yeah but what else aside from purple and green sprouts and flowers makes pizza look so loving pretty?

Make one with every meat and cheese you got in the house so it looks like fake plastic vomit and see how it does.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Some people aren't total monsters and use the condiments for dipping the crusts, and I don't blame them when so much pizza crust is merely an edible sauce, meat and cheese vehicle.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Che Delilas posted:

For all of you considering going into IT, be aware that it is largely the same situation there. If everything is going well, probably because you and your team are working your butts off to deal with problems before they become catastrophes, clients and normal users barely even know you exist. Meanwhile executives bitch and moan because your department is costing them money and you don't bring any in yourself*, and "they don't even do anything!"

When a catastrophe does happen (and it will!), oh man does the blame come flying. Meeting after meeting to find out "what went wrong" (read: who to blame so their head can be handed to them) and either massive overreaction and spending money unnecessarily, or resuming the ostrich strategy that led to the catastrophe in the first place.

That's not to say it's not worth doing. Solving the problems of technology can be really satisfying for its own sake, and based purely on what I've read in this thread it's likely much better money for your time and effort, even in relatively junior positions. Just don't expect your efforts to be appreciated by most of the people outside your department.

*You know, ignoring the fact that you enable them to operate on a scale they would never be able to achieve without computers and knowledgeable people to maintain them.

I was studying for a career in IT in high school because I thought "I enjoy working with computers" but I quickly realized it was actually "I enjoy working with my computers and I don't mind helping friends and family with their problems but strangers? gently caress em."

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

This prompted me to see if Jones was bringing back the Holiday Pack and no, they aren't. :(

But they did bring back Crushed Melon. :neckbeard:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Yay, a transformer blew up before my very eyes when I was going up the street to get some salad fixings (because my boss is a liar who promises he'll buy stuff even after I insist I get it myself) and I got to experience my very first mid-service power outage! Just what you want on the rear end-end of a busy holiday lunch.

And I have lamb shanks in the oven nowhere near done, too. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Welp I just finished the prep for the 100 person party tomorrow. Well at least the prep I could do the day before. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

I like big parties myself. It's those 30 tops that order a la carte from the regular menu during an already busy dinner rush that kill me.

• Locked thread